PDA

View Full Version : Any thoughts on the Allez Smartweld

stephenmarklay
05-10-2015, 09:20 PM
I used to have a Tarmac and the fit and comfort were pretty darn good. Now with larger tires and lower volumes I wonder if Aluminum is a viable cheaper alternative.

Does anyone of experience with one of these http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/road/allez/alleze5smartweldframeset

firerescuefin
05-10-2015, 09:21 PM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=166076&highlight=smartweld

nooneline
05-11-2015, 09:41 AM
Yup, I have one. It's a very good bike - stiff, lively, fast handling. It's more comfortable than some aluminum bikes I've ridden, and less comfortable than others. Wide rims or tubulars help a lot. I notice the stiff front end (the whole smartweld headtube plus tapered fork) while descending or taking tricky corners fast, and that's nice.

And it's a great lookin' bike.

nate2351
05-11-2015, 10:22 AM
I've been on mine for a little over two years now. I use as my commuting, training, and race bike. I have almost 20,000 miles on it. It's a great bike, I had a Tarmac and honestly could not tell the difference. I've often thought about other bikes but always seem to come back to the Allez.

biker72
05-11-2015, 10:46 AM
My boss has the 2014 model. He really likes it.

stephenmarklay
05-11-2015, 11:12 AM
Thanks you guys. I like the looks and liked my old Tarmac. I like the price of these too. Anyone ride it and a CAAD10 too?

misterha
05-11-2015, 11:35 AM
Thanks you guys. I like the looks and liked my old Tarmac. I like the price of these too. Anyone ride it and a CAAD10 too?

I personally Ride a Giant TCR SLR which is Giant's answer to the Allez and Caad10. The Allez definitely rides smoother being a touch more compliant due to a less beefy seat tube compared to the TCR. A buddy tried both the Allez and Caad10, ride quality is about the same but the geo on the Allez is a bit quicker handling. Hope that helps.

stephenmarklay
05-11-2015, 12:13 PM
Thanks! I like Giant's geometry. In my size they typically have slack seat tube angles which works for me.

nate2351
05-11-2015, 10:56 PM
I dont care much for C-dale geo. The head tube is a slacker angle than the Spec and after years riding that the CAAD10 and 6 evo just feel sluggish. I wouldn't call it twitchy but the Spec has a whippy feel to it.

05-12-2015, 02:27 AM
I've ridden both in the current-year versions and prefer the CAAD10. The Cannondale handles fast turns a bit better for me (which really is just a matter of how it handles my particular mass distribution) and I really like how it's set up to be very compliant with both Di2 and mechanical -- cables run inside the frame and if you want Di2, you just change the port grommets and it runs all the cables very nicely through the frame. One of the best setups around.

Cannondale doesn't try to do nice looking welds -- they aren't lumpy or bad technically, but the whole bike just looks thick. It's a bike completely without style, in my view. The Allez does better at that.

I've seen broken frames from both manufacturers, but I personally know that Cannondale goes way beyond the norm in supporting its lifetime warranty on a CAAD10. I've recommended CAAD10's to a few crit riders on my team and even if they crashed the bike, Cannondale has authorized replacement bikes from dealers or authorized repairs and overnight parts delivery. And I'd say that there isn't a bad component on a current CAAD10 in any of their configurations -- they've gotten rid of the FSA cranks and other junk components.

I don't think you'll go wrong with either bike. You'll find they basically ride the same except in crit-like turns, and you'll learn to handle either bike by how much you move your body weight forwards or aft on your saddle. If I were making a decision for myself it'd be Cannondale, but that's dictated more by personal experience with their service and support than because I think the bike is demonstrably better.

stephenmarklay
05-12-2015, 06:32 AM
I've ridden both in the current-year versions and prefer the CAAD10. The Cannondale handles fast turns a bit better for me (which really is just a matter of how it handles my particular mass distribution) and I really like how it's set up to be very compliant with both Di2 and mechanical -- cables run inside the frame and if you want Di2, you just change the port grommets and it runs all the cables very nicely through the frame. One of the best setups around.

Cannondale doesn't try to do nice looking welds -- they aren't lumpy or bad technically, but the whole bike just looks thick. It's a bike completely without style, in my view. The Allez does better at that.

I've seen broken frames from both manufacturers, but I personally know that Cannondale goes way beyond the norm in supporting its lifetime warranty on a CAAD10. I've recommended CAAD10's to a few crit riders on my team and even if they crashed the bike, Cannondale has authorized replacement bikes from dealers or authorized repairs and overnight parts delivery. And I'd say that there isn't a bad component on a current CAAD10 in any of their configurations -- they've gotten rid of the FSA cranks and other junk components.

I don't think you'll go wrong with either bike. You'll find they basically ride the same except in crit-like turns, and you'll learn to handle either bike by how much you move your body weight forwards or aft on your saddle. If I were making a decision for myself it'd be Cannondale, but that's dictated more by personal experience with their service and support than because I think the bike is demonstrably better.

Thank you for the thoughtful comments. I am sure I could get away and be very happy with either.

The Di2-abilty of the CAAD10 does make a lot of sense. I doubt I will run it now but next year or the year after? The Allez I think you basically choose the non Di2 or Di2 (s-works frame).

I may do some crits. However, that certainly won’t be a high percentage use. My plan is more and more Gran Fondo rides and maybe some gravel riding as I have found that to be darn fun. Long sweepers are more likely in my future and if it handles like my old Tarmac that was fine.

I am not exactly sure about the warranty of the Allez but it sounds great from C-Dale. The team I am on (I am not racing this year) is sponsored by a local specialized shop so not only do we can steep discounts we get great service but that is only as long as the partnership exists.

Thanks again.