PDA

View Full Version : Clicking (clunking) Look Keo Max

stephenmarklay
05-10-2015, 09:06 PM
I bought this pedals last fall and so far they have not been great. I had the cheapo version for years and never touched them.

On these they developed a loud cluck under load that lubing them (this forum helped me) for a while. Last week they started again and I took them off and lubed them but that only lasted about 30 miles. I also changed the cleats since they were squeaking.

I am not sure what to do. Maybe its time to just switch?

John H.
05-10-2015, 09:38 PM
Are the bearings bad?
Did the collar that holds the bearings on the spindle move?
You can put a 12mm socket over it and pound it back in place.

stephenmarklay
05-10-2015, 09:40 PM
Are the bearings bad?
Did the collar that holds the bearings on the spindle move?
You can put a 12mm socket over it and pound it back in place.

I am not sure so I will check. Thanks for the reply.

gary_a_gooner
05-11-2015, 02:54 PM
I swear, I think I'm having the same issue right now with my Keo Max 2 Carbon pedals. They have around 5,000 miles or so on them. Started about 2 weeks ago.

Clicking sound occurs with or without cleats when minimal load is applied on the right pedal around the 1-3 'o clock position.

I've swapped out cranksets, removed and regreased the threads on the pedal and even swapped out for a new BB. I checked to make sure the crankarm isn't hitting the cable or FD cage.

Hoping to get this sorted out ASAP, cause it's annoying AF...:beer:

rzthomas
05-11-2015, 04:04 PM
Go get some SPD-SLs and you'll probably never have pedal problems again.

stephenmarklay
05-11-2015, 08:10 PM
I still have not figured it out. I took them apart and the bearings are good, they seem to be seated fine also. It crossed my mind that a bit of wear in the cleat is allowing he cleat, grey, to float more during the pedal stroke especially when I am fatigued. The cleat may reach its max and bang on the pedal stop. I tightened the engagement hoping to tighten that float. I am not sure that worked or the result.

The strange thing is it was happening. I changed cleats and lubed bearings and it was good for 30 hard miles. Then I had 36 more miles full of clicks. It's possible the cleat compress during that time and started clicking.

Black Dog
05-11-2015, 09:56 PM
I still have not figured it out. I took them apart and the bearings are good, they seem to be seated fine also. It crossed my mind that a bit of wear in the cleat is allowing he cleat, grey, to float more during the pedal stroke especially when I am fatigued. The cleat may reach its max and bang on the pedal stop. I tightened the engagement hoping to tighten that float. I am not sure that worked or the result.

The strange thing is it was happening. I changed cleats and lubed bearings and it was good for 30 hard miles. Then I had 36 more miles full of clicks. It's possible the cleat compress during that time and started clicking.

If the cleat is new and tight then rule it out. They do not compress. Also, float is a function of the cleat design and not release tension. Is there a lot of play in the pedal on its axle? The look pedal bodies do stretch out and some (not a lot) play is normal for them. This has always bothered me with my keo's.

stephenmarklay
05-11-2015, 10:02 PM
If the cleat is new and tight then rule it out. They do not compress. Also, float is a function of the cleat design and not release tension. Is there a lot of play in the pedal on its axle? The look pedal bodies do stretch out and some (not a lot) play is normal for them. This has always bothered me with my keo's.

Thanks, I kind of figured my “theory” was lame :) The pedal axle has only very minimal play and just does not seem like it would click. The darn things are only about 8-9 months old so I would not think they were too warn. It could be the BB or cranks but I don’t think so. Especially since it stopped and only started again 30 miles into the ride.

stephenmarklay
05-11-2015, 10:06 PM
I just saw this on another forum and its worth a try:

“Well, here is the solution for the ticking pedal. I clamped the pedal body in a vise and got a piece of scrap wood to pry the pedal clamping part open. I will only open about a 1/8th of an inch. Once I had it open, I used my pedro's syn grease injector to lube all contact points including the hinge pin surface as much as I could.

After wiping off all of the extra grease and a general clean up, put it back on the bike.
Took it for a ride and no more ticking! There must be a very small amount of play in the assembly that was causing this, or it was not lubed properly at the factory."

gary_a_gooner
05-12-2015, 08:17 AM
OK--so the clicking issue is definitely not the pedal. I think it was the cable guide nut under the bottom bracket. It was clicking under minor load but not anymore. I took it off, cleaned it a bit, applied some grease and reinstalled. The click is gone except only when I'm standing. It's a definite improvement compared to before so it may be worth checking out if you have one.