PDA

View Full Version : Ottrott Taking Shape

wdlewis
04-22-2006, 05:01 AM
My new Ottrott is beginning to take shape. We decided to go with the Record equipment and the compact front chainrings. I was sure I needed the tripple, but the shop convinced me the compact setup would give all but the very lowest gearing I had with my old Trek''s triple.

I thought about all carbon wheels, but ended up with Mavic Kysrium ES because we thought they would be more durable and immune to rock and curb mishaps.

The saddle selection was a surprise. The meanest looking saddle, the Arione, ended up being the one that felt the best after peddling for a while.

The shop has suggested carbon seat post and handle bars, but I'm not sure yet what brand they will suggest.

The next decision will be shoes. I have some old Nike shoes with the Shimano cleats that are comfortable. I'm not sure if they are compatible with any modern pedal.

Thoughts?

DavidK
04-22-2006, 05:31 AM
Sidi shoes and Time pedals :D

I've never had a problem with Time pedals, you just forget about them. And the cleats are great as you can at least walk on polished floors (cafés!), though don't try running!

The shoes are a very personal thing, but I've owned some Shimano shoes before for MTB, and they never ever felt quite right. The Sidi Genius 5 (http://www.sidisport.com/eng/cycling/art_d.asp?ATp_ID=C01&Art_ID=MCGE5#) shoes I own were always comfortable, and with some Sidas custom footbeds they have become absolutely perfect.

There is one possible drawback. If you have a tendency to move your ankle to the side during the pedal stroke, the Time pedals allow for some drift here, so a bad pedalling style might create problems with the knees in years to come caused by twist in the lower leg. However, your LBS can plonk you on a SizeCycle and observe any movement in the lower leg and should be able to say if they think there's a risk there. I recently had a fitting and was told I was fine, but that some people do suffer from this, and for them a pedal that prevents as much movement is preferred.

Needs Help
04-22-2006, 05:54 AM
The next decision will be shoes. I have some old Nike shoes with the Shimano cleats that are comfortable. I'm not sure if they are compatible with any modern pedal.

Thoughts?
It's time to upgrade. Get custom Rocket 7's or Lamson.

http://www.rocket7.com/
http://www.d2customfootwear.com/

terrytnt
04-23-2006, 09:57 AM
:beer: I too just launched the process, i.e., fitting, for my new Ottrott ST. And YES, I decided upon Campy Record. My 2 next decisions are how to design the right look (I'm tending toward the nature look - not painted) but would love to hear your POV.

Second decision is choice of wheels. I've been riding tubulars forever and I'm reluctant to change.

Finally, love your choice of saddle - I have an Fizik Aliante which I love and will transfer to the new bike.

I'm new to the Serotta forum, so just learning my way around. Any tips would be appreciated,

good riding,

tnt

stevep
04-23-2006, 10:15 AM
sidi, time,
suntour? huh?

Louis
04-23-2006, 10:38 AM
decided to go with the Record equipment and the compact front chainrings. I was sure I needed the tripple, but the shop convinced me the compact setup would give all but the very lowest gearing I had with my old Trek''s triple.

WD,

I strongly suggest that you create a gear table for both your existing bike's setup and the proposed compact setup. Figure out where you spend most of your time and over what range you do most of your shifting with the triple. If you spend lots of time in the middle ring (say it's a 42) remember that the compact won't have anything close to that and you may end up having to shift the front back and forth from the 34 to the 50 which can be a hassle. It's always easier to shift the back than the front...

The key is to remember that you need to do more than just compare the range each option can achieve, but also consider the shifting patterns you will end up using.

Good luck
Louis

SoCalSteve
04-23-2006, 11:41 AM
WD,

I strongly suggest that you create a gear table for both your existing bike's setup and the proposed compact setup. Figure out where you spend most of your time and over what range you do most of your shifting with the triple. If you spend lots of time in the middle ring (say it's a 42) remember that the compact won't have anything close to that and you may end up having to shift the front back and forth from the 34 to the 50 which can be a hassle. It's always easier to shift the back than the front...

The key is to remember that you need to do more than just compare the range each option can achieve, but also consider the shifting patterns you will end up using.

Good luck
Louis

Just because a "compact" is the new "carbon fiber" doesnt make it good or right...

A triple will give you so many more shifting options (even if you only use the granny gear very occasionally).

Look at it this way...You will have a 53-39 normal set up and a bail out gear when you most need it (the 30). Also, Shimano does make a smoother shifting triple than Campy. This is not to start any wars as I like both....But, Shimano's triple just works better (especially the Ultegra and Dura Ace).

Good luck!

Steve

wdlewis
04-23-2006, 02:25 PM
I did decide to leave the bike in its "natural" colors. I can always have it painted later on.

I am concerned about the triple vs double gearing. My old bike isn't really a good reference point as I was a lot younger (12 years) when I rode last. I have been riding a demo Ottrott nearly every day for 2 weeks trying to get my knees back into shape. I am using the upper range of the small front ring and the botttom end of the large chain ring. I am riding on a fairly flat trail and have been doing between 15 and 20 miles.

I'll talk to the bike shop Monday.

SoCalSteve
04-23-2006, 02:28 PM
I did decide to leave the bike in its "natural" colors. I can always have it painted later on.

I am concerned about the triple vs double gearing. My old bike isn't really a good reference point as I was a lot younger (12 years) when I rode last. I have been riding a demo Ottrott nearly every day for 2 weeks trying to get my knees back into shape. I am using the upper range of the small front ring and the botttom end of the large chain ring. I am riding on a fairly flat trail and have been doing between 15 and 20 miles.
I'll talk to the bike shop Monday.

If you are planning on doing more climbing, events that have climbing, etc...then, you should consider a triple.

If all your riding is being done on fairly flat trails, then a normal 53/39 double will work perfectly for you.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me or send me an email.

Steve

Serotta PETE
04-23-2006, 04:09 PM
My new Ottrott is beginning to take shape. We decided to go with the Record equipment and the compact front chainrings. I was sure I needed the tripple, but the shop convinced me the compact setup would give all but the very lowest gearing I had with my old Trek''s triple.

Thoughts?

THe COMPACT works fine but then so does the Triple. It really depends on what you are use to using for your terrain. As SoCalSteve mentioned, you need to look at what ratios you use most and where they fall on the compact (front/rear and what shifting required.)

The Campy triple works well and so does the Shimano. Difference is that the Campy levers are same for double and triple where as with SHIMANO the front changer is different. You will not be up happy with either.

I have a CAMPY which I like but my latest travel bike is a 10speed ultegra triple from SHIMANO and it does work very well.

Main reason for going to shimano is that no matter where I am traveling in US there will be more availability of parts if something breaks. (Other wise I would have stayed with CAMPY (even though the ULTEGRA shifts and looks great/

The extra weight of a triple will not cause you to lose a print.

As to shoes - whatever fits you best is the right shoe. As to pedals, that is personal mostly. I use Speedplay and in the past have uses looks, spd, etc...Really dependa which you like best - they all perform intended purpose.

Post pictures of your new bike. It is a great ride/

PETE