PDA

View Full Version : Lets get serious about camera's while riding...But first let me take a selfie

bianchi10
05-10-2015, 04:22 PM
Lets face it, social media such as instagram has become something a lot of us use to share our cycling moments. Not everyone takes part in social media though, some people just like to take pictures of their riding experiences and keep for themselves. Either way, your camera choice makes a big difference in your photos. GoPro is probably the most common device I see used for photos/videos. Other than that, its personal cell phones.

I have been using an old Samsung S3 that my wife dropped and has a cracked screen. Its a great option because if I happen to drop it while riding, its no big loss. The pictures are usually fine, but a lot of them turn out fairly blurry and am left without anything to show for my rides. I like the Samsung phone because its very thin and the touch screen and ability to take fast multiple shots without much of a delay is nice. Its also easy to pack in a jersey pocket and send photos to my working cell phone when I get home.

The Gopro seems like an obvious choice, but at $350+ its an expensive investment. What are some other devices out there that you have used or seen that would be worthwhile looking into? Im currently researching the canon N2 as it looks like it would be pretty nice. Maybe on the larger side though.

Features I feel would be necessary:
-thin
-easy to maneuver between settings on the fly
-stability control
-clear photos
-not too bulky/easy to put in jersey pocket
-Not incredibly fragile

Follow me on instagram "NickArend"

djg21
05-10-2015, 05:38 PM
I'm waiting to look at the Fly12 camera. I have a Fly6 and think it is a great idea.

bianchi10
05-10-2015, 06:01 PM
Looks like a great option for someone who wants to mainly record or take pictures with the camera connected to the bike. I'm looking for a camera that I can take in and out of my pocket to take quick picts.

makoti
05-10-2015, 07:46 PM
There was a thread about pocket cameras recently. Maybe some suggestions in that would be helpful.

R3awak3n
05-10-2015, 07:50 PM
Its tough, I feel like if you are going to take pictures with anything less than say a fuji x100s then might just as well take pictures with your iphone/smartphone. The small cameras are just not that good and imo not worth carrying to get a picture that barely looks better than a smartphone

The iphone 6+ takes awesome pictures. I take my x100 when I take my bike with a rando bag.

Cornfed
05-11-2015, 12:25 AM
This was recommended in another thread and it works well for me. Like it was made for cyclists.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NW39XM8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

edukaycheon
05-11-2015, 12:30 AM
35mm Olympus XA2. $6 on eBay, $7 for a roll of Portra 400, button cell battery lasts forever, really fun to shoot, clamshell case is durable and sturdy, and the Zuiko glass yields way better photos then one would expect from a camera like that. It's the steel urban fixed gear of cameras

oldpotatoe
05-11-2015, 06:07 AM
Looks like a great option for someone who wants to mainly record or take pictures with the camera connected to the bike. I'm looking for a camera that I can take in and out of my pocket to take quick picts.

iphone

R3awak3n
05-11-2015, 06:30 AM
This was recommended in another thread and it works well for me. Like it was made for cyclists.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NW39XM8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Checking the picture quality of that and looks on par with an iPhone. I do like the format though, seems super easy to pull out of the pocket and shoot.

MattTuck
05-11-2015, 07:15 AM
I'd love to have a sort of rando/touring set up where I could carry a dSLR and tripod to just ride around and take pictures. I think if you're truly "serious" about taking pictures, this is what you need to do.

Everything else is just sort of taking pictures for fun. So I'm not sure you're going to see huge differences between the small form factor options, assuming you get a well reviewed one.

bart998
05-11-2015, 09:19 AM
http://static.trustedreviews.com/94/97d304/7991/12433-jvcgcfm1img1.jpg

I use this.... takes great stills and video. Small and easy to use.

roubaix
05-11-2015, 09:22 AM
I did see a guy riding on Saturday with a selfie stick on his stem about 4' out in front of him. :no:

bianchi10
05-11-2015, 09:34 AM

This looks to have a ton of potential. Been watching videos and reviews all morning. Little concerned about how it will perform under higher speeds and motion since it's considered more of a life style camera to take selfies where as a go pro is dubbed as an action camera. Several YouTube videos had sample photos and videos though and it appears to do very well. Considering it's more than half the price especially when purchased off of ebay or Amazon, it looks like a great choice!

I would be editing photos anyway so any lack of color or depth can be manipulated. Also, considering what I'd be using it for, the quick pick up and shoot qualities are very appealing. Don't get me wrong, the gopro is a better device, but as I've found in the past, sometimes more means more frustration or confusion.

Thanks for the recommendation. Will be looking further into this!

jasonification
05-11-2015, 11:38 AM
Not sure how many people are interested, but for those who want to bring their dslr cameras on a short ride, I was thinking of designing camera shoulder straps with a stabilizer strap. The stabilizer would basically be and function similarly to those on messenger bags! Thoughts?

Cornfed
05-11-2015, 01:13 PM
Not sure how many people are interested, but for those who want to bring their dslr cameras on a short ride, I was thinking of designing camera shoulder straps with a stabilizer strap. The stabilizer would basically be and function similarly to those on messenger bags! Thoughts?

Anybody tried one of these yet? Looks interesting.

http://www.porcelainrocket.com/product/dslr-slinger/

Waldo
05-11-2015, 02:36 PM
I am not so serious about my photography while riding, so I simply use my phone to take pictures. I am, however, serious about grammar while writing. Please don't use an apostrophe to form a plural.......

bianchi10
05-11-2015, 03:17 PM
I am not so serious about my photography while riding, so I simply use my phone to take pictures. I am, however, serious about grammar while writing. Please don't use an apostrophe to form a plural.......

Thank'S for, the Grammer tip; I'll keep that in mind. Nothing else better to do than scan cycling forums for grammatical errors? Stuff happens while posting from a smartphone. My bad.

Waldo
05-11-2015, 03:20 PM
Snip: Nothing else better to do than scan a cycling forum and correct grammatical errors?

Yeah, a slow day at work. :-)

bianchi10
05-11-2015, 03:24 PM
:beer:

Waldo
05-11-2015, 03:34 PM
Oh, and you forgot the apostrophe in "Lets."

;-)

Finished now.

zzy
05-11-2015, 03:53 PM
My Canon S95 has been perfect for years - small enough that it fits easily into a pocket, but large enough lens/sensor that it takes great pics, especially in low light. Plus is does RAW which is important if you do post and has full manual controls. If you like tacky filters and only upload/save tiny files, then any old cellphone camera will do, especially for social media.

tiretrax
05-11-2015, 04:47 PM
Samsung has local factory repair centers. I'd get an estimate of what it would take to fix the phone.

I bought a Sony videocamera on Black Friday (actually, Thanksgiving night) for $100. Has great stabilization, which GoPro doesn't have.