PDA

View Full Version : trimming a brooks saddle

bikemo15
04-21-2006, 09:16 PM
I have a Brooks saddle that I was thinking of taking the plunge with and trying to trim it. I saw on fixedgeargallery.com some pictures and suggestions. It looks slick but does it change the feel of the seat? Has anyone tried it? How does it ride?

capitán
04-21-2006, 10:37 PM
The skirt is rad. Love the skirt, just don't peek.

Marburg
04-21-2006, 10:38 PM
I haven't trimmed a Brooks, but I have tied the wings together on a Swift. It pretty much did what you might expect -- it made the top of the saddle more rounded side-to-side and quite a bit stiffer. I essentially had to re-break-in the top and get those sit-bone divots to reappear.

So, with that said, I would think trimming would make the saddle quite a bit less stiff. What saddle are you thinking of trimming?

dbrk
04-22-2006, 06:57 AM
Has anyone here used one of the "new" drilled and laced Brooks saddles? I'm gonna get one just to see. We used to do this when I was a kid at the bike shop on the Jersey shore: drill holes in the sides and then shoelace a weave underneath. Of course, we drilled out everything we could in those days. Ain't nuthin' as pretty in all of cycling than a drilled out Huret Jubilee rear derailleur. I have one, I'll post a pic. When I am passing into the Great White Light at the moment of death and I see the smiling faces of all those I love and have loved, I hope one of them is holding a drilled out Huret Jubilee and hands it to me as I step through the...well, could be either place.

dbrk

palincss
04-22-2006, 07:05 AM
Has anyone here used one of the "new" drilled and laced Brooks saddles? I'm gonna get one just to see. We used to do this when I was a kid at the bike shop on the Jersey shore: drill holes in the sides and then shoelace a weave underneath. Of course, we drilled out everything we could in those days. Ain't nuthin' as pretty in all of cycling than a drilled out Huret Jubilee rear derailleur. I have one, I'll post a pic. When I am passing into the Great White Light at the moment of death and I see the smiling faces of all those I love and have loved, I hope one of them is holding a drilled out Huret Jubilee and hands it to me as I step through the...well, could be either place.

dbrk

Knowing you, if it's the "other place" I think they'll be handing you some kind fo carbon fiber frame with all black components. It ain't "Club Fed," you know. :D

CNY rider
04-22-2006, 07:48 AM
I have a Wojcik cross bike with a surgically altered Swift. I bough the bike from InGobWeTrust, and he was the man with the blade. I think he did a great job; the saddle is comfy and looks nice too. You might want to contact him. There are pix of the bike in the archives as well. Do a search for Wojcik, and you can get a good look at the seat.

billrick
04-22-2006, 09:21 AM
The wonderful Wallingford Bicycles website has a whole page devoted to "butchering" or "hacking" a Brooks saddle:

http://www.wallbike.com/content/butchering.html

Also, if you haven't seen Brooks new "racey" marketing campaign, you really need to check this out (warning involves modest nudity, do not open at work):

http://www.wallbike.com/Brookssaddles.html

It make take you a few minutes to notice, but she is running the new B-18 with saddle bag and has leather wrapped bars with interrupter levers. It was like a "Where's Waldo" puzzle - took me a whole five minutes before I realized there is a bike in that photo!

;)

palincss
04-22-2006, 10:56 AM
The wonderful Wallingford Bicycles website has a whole page devoted to "butchering" or "hacking" a Brooks saddle:

http://www.wallbike.com/content/butchering.html

Also, if you haven't seen Brooks new "racey" marketing campaign, you really need to check this out (warning involves modest nudity, do not open at work):

http://www.wallbike.com/Brookssaddles.html

It make take you a few minutes to notice, but she is running the new B-18 with saddle bag and has leather wrapped bars with interrupter levers. It was like a "Where's Waldo" puzzle - took me a whole five minutes before I realized there is a bike in that photo!

;)

Ah, but have you figured out what make of bike it is? (Ans: Chas Roberts. Zoom it up to 800% and look at the seatstay caps.) :banana:

djg
04-22-2006, 12:24 PM
Knowing you, if it's the "other place" I think they'll be handing you some kind fo carbon fiber frame with all black components. It ain't "Club Fed," you know. :D

I think I read somewhere that the new gospel they found about Judas specifies a hybrid with flat cheng shin tires, no pump, and no saddle. You can see Faliero Masi in the distance, with a torch and a measuring tape and, apparently, nothing much to do, but the more you pedal the farther away he seems and the heavier your butt gets.

CNY rider
04-22-2006, 04:01 PM
Ah, but have you figured out what make of bike it is? (Ans: Chas Roberts. Zoom it up to 800% and look at the seatstay caps.) :banana:

And were you really using the zoom to study the seatstay caps............?? :banana:

dave thompson
04-22-2006, 06:01 PM
And were you really using the zoom to study the seatstay caps............?? :banana:
Those are seatstay caps?

inGobwetrust
04-22-2006, 09:39 PM
http://www.tedwojcikbicycles.com/images/bikes/cycle%20cross/cc1.jpg

Thuis is the one I did. I don't think it changed the feel much at all.

bikemo15
04-23-2006, 05:51 PM
Thanks, I am going to give it a try. I have a black fixed gear with a B-17 that needs a sleeker look. Hopefully it won't come out like the first time I gave my kid a haircut, he ended up with an extreme buzz cut, I couldn't get both sides even....

Chad Engle
04-24-2006, 11:05 AM
Please post some photos once you're done.