PDA

View Full Version : The following is a paid advertisement...(more NFL strangeness)

makoti
05-09-2015, 06:22 PM
It looks like the Jets (and a few other teams named) have been selling the heartfelt moments during games where they honor the various armed forces, the Coast Guard in the Jets case.
I'm sorry, that just feels wrong. You want to have a moment to honor them? I'm ok with that. But to do it after you're PAID to? Feels icky to me.

http://www.sbnation.com/2015/5/8/8573341/national-guard-paying-nfl-teams-jets?_ga=1.202083473.1448278755.1412476452

herb5998
05-09-2015, 07:33 PM
As an active duty member, that's pretty appalling, but I also understand that ultimately, most of the "Honor the Troops" is dual purpose, any opportunity for a recruiting tool unfortunately.

The NHL Team where I live give free tickets for veterans for the hometown hero, and it's a genuine real deal, the military had nothing to do with it, and the major sponsors provide the funding to make it happen, not the other way around.

bcroslin
05-09-2015, 08:16 PM
It looks like the Jets (and a few other teams named) have been selling the heartfelt moments during games where they honor the various armed forces, the Coast Guard in the Jets case.
I'm sorry, that just feels wrong. You want to have a moment to honor them? I'm ok with that. But to do it after you're PAID to? Feels icky to me.

http://www.sbnation.com/2015/5/8/8573341/national-guard-paying-nfl-teams-jets?_ga=1.202083473.1448278755.1412476452

Original story from NJ.com/ Star Ledger (http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf/2015/05/taxpayers_pony_up_for_jets_salutes_to_nj_national. html)

Bradford
05-09-2015, 08:42 PM
The more I hear about the NFL the less I trust it. It starting to sound more like the tobacco industry and less like a national institution.

makoti
05-09-2015, 09:42 PM
As an active duty member, that's pretty appalling, but I also understand that ultimately, most of the "Honor the Troops" is dual purpose, any opportunity for a recruiting tool unfortunately.

The NHL Team where I live give free tickets for veterans for the hometown hero, and it's a genuine real deal, the military had nothing to do with it, and the major sponsors provide the funding to make it happen, not the other way around.

Clearly I'm naive, but I always thought that all of those moments were something the NFL did to a) make itself look good & b) to actually give those in uniform their moment in the sun. Since B happened, I didn't care about A. Now I have to wonder about whoever gets trotted out at Jets games. Do they know that this has been paid for? Or, are they like the rest of us and unaware of the arrangement?
This shouldn't really be any different than any other situation were someone gives money & gets to meet a quarterback or whatever, but it still feels wrong.

unterhausen
05-09-2015, 09:59 PM
recruiting budget is huge. Now I'm wondering if Nascar gets paid

Louis
05-09-2015, 10:05 PM
The Colts and the rest of the league wanted to give them the time for free, but Belichick and Brady insisted on having the DoD pay for it.

oldpotatoe
05-10-2015, 05:31 AM

Thanks for your service

-Retired USN

1centaur
05-10-2015, 07:54 AM
There's a reason this is not widely known: it changes everything.

The basis for the clapping is a shared culture of honor and respect, both for ourselves as a country that thinks it's worth defending and for people who are willing to take risks most of us would not. But when a business does this for money they are saying they WON'T do it for the sake of shared culture (after all, it costs about nothing to do) and they are not in it with their customers. It becomes insincere brotherhood, and that's offensive. Imagine those times on an airplane when the flight crew lets armed forces off first and there is a stated or unstated appeal to applaud their exit. If the airline was being paid for that moment, how many would applaud? A few, who believe in the sentiment and won't let the commercial moment stop them, but many would not. And thereby it would become a poll of offense or its lack.

Money changes things.

I wonder if some DOD employees get to watch the game on our dime because of this program.

If I was an owner I'd either do it because I believe in it or would not do it. I would not take money for it.

shovelhd
05-10-2015, 08:09 AM
The Colts and the rest of the league wanted to give them the time for free, but Belichick and Brady insisted on having the DoD pay for it.

Not on the list. Must be a coverup.

Dave B
05-10-2015, 08:23 AM
I don't care how one views war or how are govt uses their reasons for it. I am sure there are both sides of right and wrong.

A man or woman who willingly put himself or herself in harms way for others is worth a hell of a lot more than the applause they receive. Charging for that small token of recognition sickens me. Any military personnel especially who saw combat are owed a great deal more respect and awe in my book.

malcolm
05-10-2015, 08:54 AM
There's a reason this is not widely known: it changes everything.

The basis for the clapping is a shared culture of honor and respect, both for ourselves as a country that thinks it's worth defending and for people who are willing to take risks most of us would not. But when a business does this for money they are saying they WON'T do it for the sake of shared culture (after all, it costs about nothing to do) and they are not in it with their customers. It becomes insincere brotherhood, and that's offensive. Imagine those times on an airplane when the flight crew lets armed forces off first and there is a stated or unstated appeal to applaud their exit. If the airline was being paid for that moment, how many would applaud? A few, who believe in the sentiment and won't let the commercial moment stop them, but many would not. And thereby it would become a poll of offense or its lack.

Money changes things.

I wonder if some DOD employees get to watch the game on our dime because of this program.

If I was an owner I'd either do it because I believe in it or would not do it. I would not take money for it.

I think this pretty much sums it up. NFL is big business and with big business decisions are made by committee or at least with one guy using the choir as a sounding board. Things that sound good in the boardroom when everyone is already on board especially if they generate $$ are easy to rationalize. When aired in public not so much. Like anonymity on the internet frees people from responsibility the organization gives a sense of freedom from personal responsibility at least until the sacrificial lamb is led out.

I suspect if you could shine a light in all corners of the NFL it's one of the nastiest of businesses. At is core it turns young men's health and welfare into entertainment profits with little to no real concern for the players or fans. The epitome of a money generating machine with no concern for anything except dollars generated. Yet I still watch.

tiretrax
05-10-2015, 01:48 PM
The NFL made a big deal about helping to restore the coast of Louisiana when the Super Bowl was played in New Orleans a few years ago. They sponsored an event that cost about $15,000-20,000 dollars. How much did multi-billion dollar earning foundation contribute? $500. What's the cost to restore protective wetlands in SE Louisiana? $50 billion+. I don't expect the NFL to pay for the restoration or much of it, but $500 is ridiculous for the PR they claimed in their halftime commercial from a tree planting event that wasn't meaningful.

makoti
05-10-2015, 03:18 PM
The NFL made a big deal about helping to restore the coast of Louisiana when the Super Bowl was played in New Orleans a few years ago. They sponsored an event that cost about $15,000-20,000 dollars. How much did multi-billion dollar earning foundation contribute? $500. What's the cost to restore protective wetlands in SE Louisiana? $50 billion+. I don't expect the NFL to pay for the restoration or much of it, but $500 is ridiculous for the PR they claimed in their halftime commercial from a tree planting event that wasn't meaningful.

Is this right? They (the NFL) sponsored an event. It cost $15-20K to attend. Then, they (the NFL), kicked in $500? Did they not attend their own event? I'm hoping they at least covered the cost of putting the event on? Please?