PDA

View Full Version : SRAM Force: unobtanium???

Too Tall
04-21-2006, 07:49 PM
Who knows where I can purchase SRAM force shifters / mechs?

Bill Bove
04-21-2006, 08:29 PM
I am being told by my Orbea rep they will have the first groups available in the states later this spring and that in the beginning I will only be able to buy it through their made to order program. That means only on a complete bike. At first, later on in the summer it will be more readily available. I don't have price yet but I'm also told that Force will be a little less than Dura-Ace and lighter too. Despite being a die hard Campyphile I am really looking forward to seeing this stuff.

Frustration
04-21-2006, 09:15 PM
Just did the do with that stuff at Sea Otter in Monetrey...

Great Kit.

They are also sold out, front to back, of their estimated production though year end. You'll see it on OEM for a few folks, and through a couple of distributors that placed large orders some time June / Julyish.

Right now you could be the pope and not get a set.

KKevin
04-22-2006, 06:14 AM
Mentioned August as being a public available date.

stevep
04-22-2006, 06:28 AM
have been told late june and that the levers are very comfortable.
no promises, though.

H1449-6
04-22-2006, 06:56 AM
Right now you could be the pope and not get a set.

I think the pope would be a Campy loyalist.

:D :D

Too Tall
04-22-2006, 07:31 AM
I'll take the Pope's place in line than ;)
Crap. I am building bikes and wanted to make the switch now....will just have to string this along. I'm determined to adopt this as their mtn. line was quite literally flawless.

Smiley
04-22-2006, 09:09 AM
Too tall , if I had your MIT size I'd go for DurAce as I think the shorter brifter length of these knock off Campy hoods will bother your reach , the new 10 speed stuff from the land of the rising sun may be a best fit for you all around :)

itsalldark
04-22-2006, 09:41 AM
I rode the stuff last week at Alberto's Cycles in Highland Park. They had a fleet of Colnagos's aii equiped with the new force shifters. You were ables to sign bikes out for an hour or so. The new double tap system is unreal. The hoods are very ergo and very comfortable.The shifting is super smooth and very quick. I have been a campy user for ever. I find the Shimano stuff very bulky and unattractive. The sram stuff is beautiful to look at and has cabon levers to boot. The people from Sram who were there said the product will be available in late summer or early fall. Cannondale 07 bike will be spected out with this product as well. It is a very, vey nice system---brake lever is the brake lever and the shift lever is the shift lever. I was very impressed. The material they used for the hoods get tackier when they get wet so your hands won't slip off the hoods when and if you sweat. Cables are tucked away just like the campy product, really clean! People who were there riding the bikes all afternoon seemed to be very taken with the product. All of the comments from people who were test riding the bikes were very positve not only in the way the product performed, but also in how great it looks. In seems to me that the bar has just been raised!!!

William
04-22-2006, 10:55 AM
Ahh, the joys of having more then just choice "A" & "B". :banana: Of course choice "C" will now force "A" & "B" come out with "A"+ & "B"+. We win all around.....unless of course they get together to fix prices, but that would ~never~ happen....would it??? :confused:

William :beer:

Too Tall
04-22-2006, 02:30 PM
AllSmilesForBikeMiles - Dewd, I'm reallllly not pleased with SHIMANO adding 2cm to the reach when on the hoods...that's straight up BS and I'm not going to get over it. I've been a big ol Shimano fan for all the right reasons...now I need a really good new reason, what you got?

Smiley
04-22-2006, 02:36 PM
AllSmilesForBikeMiles - Dewd, I'm reallllly not pleased with Chimpmano adding 2cm to the reach when on the hoods...that's straight up BS and I'm not going to get over it. I've been a big ol Shimano fan for all the right reasons...now I need a really good new reason, what you got?

I think you meant Shinamo brifters being longer and its really on about 1 to 1.5 cm on the reach depending on where the sweet spot of your hands like to fall. Look carefully at the new Force brifter and make sure your hands like this hood size. I think when Sram looked at Both groupos they really liked the fact that the Campy brifters fit more small hands = womens hands and they realized the Thumb action was a negative. I have smallish hands so this new stuff apeals to me . I need to tell you that the new Shimano 10 speed stuff is BEYOND excellent , really :banana:

Too Tall
04-22-2006, 03:14 PM
I def. ment Shimano and do NOT need more reach that really would ruin the spot on setup I've got on all my bikes. So what are you doing as a fitter to accomodate and design for Shimano? Shorter TTs, stems????

Smiley
04-22-2006, 03:45 PM
On my Uniscasi , I actally added to the reach by going to a longer reach handlebar , then subtracting from the TT and Stem to equal my same distance to brifter tips. I think for you and your hand size , you should give it a try , really you may not need to change a thing