PDA

View Full Version : OT: The Last Waltz on Netflix?

Kirk Pacenti
05-08-2015, 07:35 PM
Anyone else having trouble with the interview portion of the soundtrack?

The music comes through fine during the concert, but the more interesting part (to me), the interviews and commentary, has no audio...???

Cheers,
KP

pinkshogun
05-08-2015, 08:00 PM
i watched it on youtube

oliver1850
05-08-2015, 08:04 PM
Not a netflix user, but a great movie despite Band members' criticisms.

Paul Butterfield, Neil Young, Emmylou Harris, Ringo Starr, Ronnie Hawkins, Dr. John, Joni Mitchell, Van Morrison, Muddy Waters, Ronnie Wood, Neil Diamond, Bobby Charles, The Staple Singers, Bob Dylan, and Eric Clapton: that's a pretty good lineup. I saw Muddy Waters twice in 1977-1978, so would like to see the movie again just from that angle.

oliver1850
05-08-2015, 08:14 PM
i watched it on youtube

Mike, you can do better. If you can't get to a theater showing, at least gather the dvd, a 60" screen, a 200 WPC amp and a few friends.

peanutgallery
05-08-2015, 08:27 PM
Sometimes netflix gets a little jacked up

Great movie...even on youtube
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Fvp3-WPul4I

rounder
05-08-2015, 08:46 PM
I just tried on Netflix and it came in fine for me. The concert is worth what ever it takes to see if you like that kind of music. I have it on dvd and cd.

Lots of the songs are great. Love Mystery Train.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uto9t8k-Flg

peanutgallery
05-08-2015, 08:49 PM
Towards the end its definitely one of the greatest assemblages of musical talent on one stage at one time. Must have been quite a night

pbarry
05-08-2015, 09:13 PM
Towards the end its definitely one of the greatest assemblages of musical talent on one stage at one time. Must have been quite a night

+1. Epic moment in Rock.

djg21
05-08-2015, 09:40 PM
Seen it more times than I can count, and my wife gave me the boxed DVD and CD set for a birthday present a bunch of years back.

Among the performances that stand out for me is Joni Mitchell's version of Coyote and of course The Weight. In fact, I'm sitting here with Jack my Dog listening to the Band's version of Ain't No Cane. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2afWAJLqFM4

rugbysecondrow
05-08-2015, 09:44 PM
Van Morrison singing Caravan...great concert

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Davist
05-09-2015, 05:27 AM

+1 Great movie, hadn't seen all of it until recently (on Netflix) came through fine for me

schwa86
05-09-2015, 08:34 AM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right on!

Kinda partial to Up on Cripple Creek from this show too...

peanutgallery
05-09-2015, 02:57 PM
Just waiting for rapha to come out with some earth tone sequin leisure suits for commuters. I'll pay whatever it costs

Right on!

Kinda partial to Up on Cripple Creek from this show too...

Ray
05-09-2015, 03:32 PM
My two greatest musical regrets were that I had tickets available to me for two epic Winterland shows - the Last Waltz and the Dead closing it down on New Years Eve a little over two years later. And I missed both. For the Band I was just too young - a 17 year old freshman in college without any sense of possibilities yet, that I could just take off for a few days, make it down to the Bay Area (I was in the Puget Sound) and just go DO that. And then for the Dead, I saw them the two nights before in San Diego and LA, was sick as a dog, and had to drive a friend and I back to Arizona. But another friend we stayed with in LA offered me a concert ticket and a plane ticket to Winterland for the next night and if I hadn't been feeling so terrible with the flu, probably would have let my friend drive my car back and gone for it. Turned out the little commuter flight he was on from LA up to San Francisco was him and the Dead with a small entourage. I should have been there!

Neither show was the best from the Band or the Dead, but they both sure had their moments and were both historic as hell and well known today. It would have been great to be at either or both. But I blew it both times. Oh well...

The other one was I had several opportunities to see Little Feat while Lowell George was still with them and never did. I figured I'd have more chances on that one but by the time I saw them, he was long gone...

-Ray

jmeloy
05-09-2015, 04:14 PM
Saw Little Feat twice with Lowell and. That was a great bunch of musicians. Cranked up "fat man in the bathtub" just the other day.

rounder
05-09-2015, 08:39 PM
My two greatest musical regrets were that I had tickets available to me for two epic Winterland shows - the Last Waltz and the Dead closing it down on New Years Eve a little over two years later. And I missed both. For the Band I was just too young - a 17 year old freshman in college without any sense of possibilities yet, that I could just take off for a few days, make it down to the Bay Area (I was in the Puget Sound) and just go DO that. And then for the Dead, I saw them the two nights before in San Diego and LA, was sick as a dog, and had to drive a friend and I back to Arizona. But another friend we stayed with in LA offered me a concert ticket and a plane ticket to Winterland for the next night and if I hadn't been feeling so terrible with the flu, probably would have let my friend drive my car back and gone for it. Turned out the little commuter flight he was on from LA up to San Francisco was him and the Dead with a small entourage. I should have been there!

Neither show was the best from the Band or the Dead, but they both sure had their moments and were both historic as hell and well known today. It would have been great to be at either or both. But I blew it both times. Oh well...

The other one was I had several opportunities to see Little Feat while Lowell George was still with them and never did. I figured I'd have more chances on that one but by the time I saw them, he was long gone...

-Ray

I saw most bands that I ever wanted to see, but did not see the Beatles.

Guy from across the street was a radio DJ and MC for the first time the Beatles ever came to Baltimore. He offered me tickets, but I gave them to my mother who took my sisters instead (thought they were a kid's band cause I was into the Rolling Stones at the time)...at least they got to go,

djg21
05-09-2015, 08:54 PM
Saw Little Feat twice with Lowell and. That was a great bunch of musicians. Cranked up "fat man in the bathtub" just the other day.

I saw them too. I was in junior high school. The original Little Feat was one of the best bands ever, and Lowell George died way too young. Waiting for Columbus is one of the best live recordings ever.

As to bands or musicians I want to see but haven't had the opportunity: I'm still hoping that Tom Waits will come back east and play some live shows at the Beacon. I was too young to appreciate him when he was regularly playing in NYC.

pinkshogun
05-09-2015, 09:50 PM
Mike, you can do better. If you can't get to a theater showing, at least gather the dvd, a 60" screen, a 200 WPC amp and a few friends.

The movie looks just great on my black and white Goldstar!

beeatnik
05-09-2015, 10:01 PM
Saw The Last Waltz on the big screen at the Arclight in Hollywood (behind the Cinerama Dome). The Arclight was the first movie theater to win the Academy Award for sound (not sure if they still hand out that technical award). I think the showing was part of a music films festival. In any case, there were only about 15 people in the audience and the audio was phenomenal. Imagine listening to your favorite album on a million dollar sound system at THX volume levels. I was super stoked and borderline giddy. During the epic performance of The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down, I looked over to my buddy expecting to see him blown away (i had been talking up the Band for weeks); he was asleep.

Anyhoo, I got into The Band after reading Greil Marcus's Mystery Train. His commentary on the DVD is almost as satisfying as the Jams.