PDA

View Full Version : Is it too late for a New Year's resolution?

paredown
05-08-2015, 06:16 AM
One of the threads about Jobst Brandt's death paraphrased from an interview in the Rivendell Reader with Grant Peterson that he didn't understand the people who thought of bikes as objects to collect and owned one bike--a yellow one.

Apparently, Jobst was not a "collector' or a gear freak (although very interested in the engineering of a good bike)--what he wanted to do was ride his bike, not work on them or collect them. He rode one bike almost exclusively and put on the miles.

My resolution--in 2015, I will do less worrying about gear and whether that XX frame will make me happy--and do more riding.

oldpotatoe
05-08-2015, 06:24 AM
One of the threads about Jobst Brandt's death paraphrased from an interview in the Rivendell Reader with Grant Peterson that he didn't understand the people who thought of bikes as objects to collect and owned one bike--a yellow one.

Apparently, Jobst was not a "collector' or a gear freak (although very interested in the engineering of a good bike)--what he wanted to do was ride his bike, not work on them or collect them. He rode one bike almost exclusively and put on the miles.

My resolution--in 2015, I will do less worrying about gear and whether that XX frame will make me happy--and do more riding.

Good for you. The object of the ride, is the ride, after all. The 'bike' should disappear beneath you.

blessthismess
05-08-2015, 10:31 AM
Never too late. Although I can't adhear to it completely (im not a collector but i like having a couple bikes) I think Jobst had the right philosophy.