PDA

View Full Version : Got the $15 Giro helmet 'fake'

oldpotatoe
05-07-2015, 10:27 PM
Came in bubble wrap, no box. It is cheesy by comparison to my Giro Synthe. Decent straps and retention system. Size L. No idea how it might work but styrofoam looks similar. I'll upload more pix when I get off my phone to 'puter.

hesh0925
05-07-2015, 11:05 PM
Only way to test. Smash your head against a wall! :p

rustychisel
05-07-2015, 11:45 PM
OP: soon to be Mr Potato Head. :rolleyes:

Veloo
05-07-2015, 11:53 PM
OP, do up a video review on Youtube. You'll get a bunch of hits and make back the $15 you had to sacrifice on it.

oldpotatoe
05-08-2015, 06:40 AM
OP, do up a video review on Youtube. You'll get a bunch of hits and make back the $15 you had to sacrifice on it.

Pass..ain't gonna ride this thing either. I'm tempted to put it ebay and sell it for $lot$...but I won't. I think they would sell more if it were more expensive but fairly poorly made, with the obvious 'Giro" on it. Dovetails into the thread by RebelBiker about cheap asian fake crap..this is it.

Lewis Moon
05-08-2015, 08:50 AM
Is that supposed to be a Synthe?...more like Synthetic.
It really looks like a piece of dollar store schite

One of my major problems with ebay is that there is no reasonable way to report fraudulent sellers. I bought a cable set that was marketed as Jagwire Road Pro...except it wasn't. Not even close. The only option I could find was to return it. I couldn't find a way to alert ebay to a fraudulent seller.

redir
05-08-2015, 08:53 AM
Does it have one of those certified helmet stickers in it?

JWDR
05-08-2015, 09:31 AM
How does it compare to the other $15-20 helmets that are sold locally to you?

oldpotatoe
05-08-2015, 10:16 AM
Does it have one of those certified helmet stickers in it?

No, size sticker and a use for bikes sticker.

oldpotatoe
05-08-2015, 10:17 AM
How does it compare to the other $15-20 helmets that are sold locally to you?

Don't know, never bought or sold a $15 helmet. I think the 'Giro' decal is the point here, at least for me, not the price tag.

deechee
05-08-2015, 10:18 AM
I would buy it for the spare pads.

odin99
05-08-2015, 10:24 AM
http://static.fjcdn.com/comments/Gt%252Bsteal%252Bold%252Bchuck%252Bnorris%252Bjoke %252Bthat%252Bs%252Bolder%252Bthan%252Bjesus%252B_ 7649c7720bbf4b2193b0f1205e8ef5c4.jpg
WHY?!

CSTRider
05-08-2015, 11:56 AM
My biggest concerns would be the density of the styrofoam, and the strength of the retention straps and anchor points within the foam. Unfortunately, none of these are things you can easily check without destructive testing.

veggieburger
05-08-2015, 12:26 PM
Oh wow. Thanks for sharing. The straps actually look better than I expected, kind of like my old Teva sandals. But yeah, that foam doesn't look quite right...

redir
05-08-2015, 12:27 PM
It sure does look like the real deal but without that sticker you cannot race or do sanctioned events with it. I assume you bought that just as a curiosity? Do you plan on doing a destructive test? That would be interesting.

Dead Man
05-08-2015, 01:07 PM
It sure does look like the real deal but without that sticker you cannot race or do sanctioned events with it. I assume you bought that just as a curiosity? Do you plan on doing a destructive test? That would be interesting.

I've never had my helmet checked.. have you?

---

I don't know who the target market is for this helmet, but I feel like racers aren't it. Nor even Fred club riders... I mean, are you gonna drop $5000-$10000 on a Fred bike and then buy a $15 fake expensive helmet? And the purely recreational soloist doesn't give a ···· what his helmet looks like... so he's not gonna buy it either.

I don't understand its existence

SoCalSteve
05-08-2015, 01:12 PM
OP: soon to be Mr Potato Head. :rolleyes:

Post of the day!!!...:banana:

William
05-08-2015, 01:13 PM
Oh wow. Thanks for sharing. The straps actually look better than I expected, kind of like my old Teva sandals. But yeah, that foam doesn't look quite right...

http://cdn3.volusion.com/wgrjp.ldyvu/v/vspfiles/photos/ogh04001-2.jpg?1375611260

Just sayin':banana:

William

veggieburger
05-08-2015, 01:51 PM
Ha! Probably better than a cycling cap, but not by much...

Shortsocks
05-08-2015, 02:13 PM
I dont see what the Problem with this Helmet is.

Most of the Condoms sold in the US are made in China, so whats the big deal with this helmet? We trust the Chinese to make Helmets for our Little heads...but its not okay if they make them for our Big Heads? Come on. I see a massive Hypocrisy here. :rolleyes:

milkbaby
05-08-2015, 02:40 PM
No, size sticker and a use for bikes sticker.
http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1697900064&stc=1&d=1431100241

That first cartoon looks like you're supposed to rinse your food in the kitchen sink with the helmet as a strainer.

What's wrong with the helmet? Does it just feel and look flimsy?

sworcester
05-08-2015, 05:21 PM

Most of the Condoms sold in the US are made in China, so whats the big deal with this helmet? We trust the Chinese to make Helmets for our Little heads...but its not okay if they make them for our Big Heads? Come on. I see a massive Hypocrisy here. :rolleyes:

For me it still comes back to the company that is going to stand behind the product. Since condoms are only XX% affective, you probably have no leg to stand on in a court battle. But importing a helmet without a Snell or whatever sticker on it, and no presence in the cycling community, I would have issues.
Same as Chine made wheels, bars, forks,.....

shovelhd
05-08-2015, 05:25 PM

---

I don't know who the target market is for this helmet, but I feel like racers aren't it. Nor even Fred club riders... I mean, are you gonna drop $5000-$10000 on a Fred bike and then buy a $15 fake expensive helmet?

I'll check a helmet if it looks out of place but that's not the point. If you crash and try and claim on the insurance it could be denied.

We've got guys here with a room full of bikes that bitch about paying $3 more for an 11 speed Missing Link than they paid for a 10 speed.

Black Dog
05-08-2015, 05:49 PM

Sure go put on a counterfeit condom. Trowjan. :eek:

Plum Hill
05-08-2015, 06:32 PM
I noticed cheap (like $18-$20) Bell helmets at Target. Box said made is US (which I assume means assembled).
Now I see the same helmets on sale at Aldi this week for $12.99.

https://www.aldi.us/en/weekly-specials/special-buys-for-may-6/may-6-detail/ps/p/bell-bike-helmet-1/

I wonder how they compare to my Bell Sweep.

oldpotatoe
05-09-2015, 06:57 AM

Yes I did..and while showing it to the guys in the shop, discovered a crack and a dent..Tried to contact the Chinese gent that sold it..and the item is gone, so I had to 'back door' contact him to tell him his product was junk..we'll see what happens but item removed, so I can't even give feedback.

I think it's like I threw $15 out the window..but I'll smack it to see what's inside..it's 'really' light.

As for a helmet, racing, checking a 'sticker'..how often has some USA cycling dude walked around checking helmet stickers?? I've never seen it. But when ya buy a $15 helmet, you get a cheap POS..what a surprise, even with the giro sticker.

Shortsocks
05-09-2015, 07:37 AM
Sure go put on a counterfeit condom. Trowjan. :eek:

I love it! Ha!

Veloo
03-11-2017, 01:44 PM
And here's a fake Spec.

https://www.facebook.com/CanadianCyclist/videos/1243747489036566/?hc_ref=NEWSFEED

Macadamia
03-11-2017, 06:43 PM
And here's a fake Spec.

https://www.facebook.com/CanadianCyclist/videos/1243747489036566/?hc_ref=NEWSFEED

also

http://www.bicycling.com/sites/bicycling.com/files/counterfit-specialized-helmet.jpg
The foam is less dense and is thinner—by as much as 4.5mm—than on the real Evade.
• The fake does not carry the stickers that indicate it meets US government safety standards.
• The plastic fit retention device is made of cheap, stiff plastic, with a bulky ratchet dial, compared with the one on the real helmet.
• On the scale, the fake is 45g lighter than the real Evade.
• The fake lacks a roll cage, an internal skeleton (the larger dots in the cross section of the real Evade, above) that holds the helmet intact in a crash.
• In a crash, the fake would have offered almost no protection

http://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear/components/catch-counterfeiter-sketchy-world-fake-bike-gear

Black Dog
03-12-2017, 07:08 AM

---

I don't know who the target market is for this helmet, but I feel like racers aren't it. Nor even Fred club riders... I mean, are you gonna drop $5000-$10000 on a Fred bike and then buy a $15 fake expensive helmet? And the purely recreational soloist doesn't give a ���� what his helmet looks like... so he's not gonna buy it either.

I don't understand its existence

It is for the same guy that buys one of these and slaps on Pinarello stickers.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-2mSduq_MCss/Ts5t6KP2ePI/AAAAAAAASnM/CApH_WLKR_o/s400/fake%2Bpinarello.jpg

summilux
03-12-2017, 08:12 AM

I'm temporarily working in China (Shanghai) so I've got a little perspective on this. Chinese "fakes" aren't all the same. In the best case, a "fake" is made in the same factory as the real item, with the same material. In this case, the subcontracted manufacturer simply makes more of an item than he is supposed to and smuggles it out the door for sale through unauthorized channels. In the worst case, some factory decides to duplicate the appearance of a "real" thing and doesn't care about the internals. There are also manufacturers who will straddle the middle, duplicate appearance and with decent quality inside. Price is really the only indicator and you never know what you get until you see it. Here in Shanghai the price range for a fake Rolex is $10-100 USD. The $10 might last a week or so while the $100 should last for many years. My wife has a two year old one (cost $40) that works just fine. The high quality fake looks and feels pretty good and without taking it apart, it's pretty hard to tell. From a foot away it looks perfect (at least to me but then I'm an Omega guy).

What surprises me is that there is no one in China has counterfitted certification stickers. Or maybe there is...

Veloo
03-12-2017, 10:44 AM
That's what I suspected. Cuz who is gonna go through the effort of doing up a CAD drawing and then procuring a look alike mold? Figured there was a secret night shift or something along those lines.

I think it was in Thailand that my coworkers went to see some watches that were knockoffs and classified as copy A, B and C grades. Can't recall which was the better of the three. He had a story about one high level knock-off that a jeweller suspected had stolen internals because they had the company stampings which he had never seen on a knockoff before.

I'm temporarily working in China (Shanghai) so I've got a little perspective on this. Chinese "fakes" aren't all the same. In the best case, a "fake" is made in the same factory as the real item, with the same material. In this case, the subcontracted manufacturer simply makes more of an item than he is supposed to and smuggles it out the door for sale through unauthorized channels. In the worst case, some factory decides to duplicate the appearance of a "real" thing and doesn't care about the internals. There are also manufacturers who will straddle the middle, duplicate appearance and with decent quality inside. Price is really the only indicator and you never know what you get until you see it. Here in Shanghai the price range for a fake Rolex is $10-100 USD. The $10 might last a week or so while the $100 should last for many years. My wife has a two year old one (cost $40) that works just fine. The high quality fake looks and feels pretty good and without taking it apart, it's pretty hard to tell. From a foot away it looks perfect (at least to me but then I'm an Omega guy).

What surprises me is that there is no one in China has counterfitted certification stickers. Or maybe there is...

grawk
03-12-2017, 11:32 AM
That's what I suspected. Cuz who is gonna go through the effort of doing up a CAD drawing and then procuring a look alike mold? Figured there was a secret night shift or something along those lines.

I think it was in Thailand that my coworkers went to see some watches that were knockoffs and classified as copy A, B and C grades. Can't recall which was the better of the three. He had a story about one high level knock-off that a jeweller suspected had stolen internals because they had the company stampings which he had never seen on a knockoff before.

The high end replica watches definitely have "decorated" internals, engraved with company name etc. They go to extremes, and some of the replica watches sell for over $400.

Dead Man
03-12-2017, 11:41 AM

eh? Like a certification that the counterfeit is an unlicensed copy, instead of a cheap/crappy reproduction?

BobO
03-12-2017, 12:10 PM
In this case, the subcontracted manufacturer simply makes more of an item than he is supposed to and smuggles it out the door for sale through unauthorized channels.

One of my vendors had this issue with their construction lasers. The manufacturer made some pretty significant over-runs and the same piece of equipment began appearing on eBay for less than half the price. They did not need to put fake stickers on it, the shape alone told people that it was something its not.

I saw a couple come in my shop for routine calibration and I opened one up to see the guts, they are the same, exact, piece of equipment. It's a good tool. The problem is that when something goes wrong, who do you go to for support, eBay? Even the best manufacturer has a failure rate. My shop has value to my customers because we sell and support our products. I could service and repair these "fakes," but I won't.

I buy most of my bike stuff locally for the same reason, when something goes wrong I know the people at the LBS give a damn.

summilux
03-13-2017, 06:02 AM
I buy most of my bike stuff locally for the same reason, when something goes wrong I know the people at the LBS give a damn.

^^^People like to crap all over the Chinese and their "fakes" but they are really just filling a demand. If there wasn't a demand for "fakes", nobody would be supplying them. There are too many people thinking that $15 is the proper price for a helmet. Buy local and from people you trust.

unterhausen
03-13-2017, 12:12 PM
the cheapest Giro helmet is what, $40? That's usually what I get. Might upgrade to a MIPS on my next purchase though.

Veloo
03-17-2017, 03:17 PM
And legit helmet stomp tested.

https://www.facebook.com/evocyclesrh/videos/1432616140103317/?hc_ref=NEWSFEED

Black Dog
03-18-2017, 08:14 AM
the cheapest Giro helmet is what, $40? That's usually what I get. Might upgrade to a MIPS on my next purchase though.

I picked up a Giro Foray MIPS for $38 USD.

http://content.competitivecyclist.com/images/items/large/GIR/GIR00CF/WHI.jpg

Black Dog
03-18-2017, 08:17 AM
And legit helmet stomp tested.

https://www.facebook.com/evocyclesrh/videos/1432616140103317/?hc_ref=NEWSFEED

Wow, that helmet put up a good fight!

BobO
03-18-2017, 01:37 PM
I picked up a Giro Foray MIPS for $38 USD.

Does this mean the $38 head just increased is value? :p

54ny77
03-19-2017, 08:06 AM
Cover the vents with duct tape, spray on some flex seal, and you'll have yourself an ice cooler to hold a couple of beers. Presto!

oldpotatoe
03-19-2017, 08:53 AM
Does this mean the $38 head just increased in value? :p

That $38 Giro protects your head as well as a $250 whiz-helmet..The idea that $ makes this styrofoam yarmulke protect your head better is marketing 101. It 'may' be lighter, it 'may' be cooler but they all pass the (rather meager) standards.

BobO
03-19-2017, 01:21 PM
That $38 Giro protects your head as well as a $250 whiz-helmet..The idea that $ makes this styrofoam yarmulke protect your head better is marketing 101. It 'may' be lighter, it 'may' be cooler but they all pass the (rather meager) standards.

That was a joke. I wear the same helmet and may have a $38 dollar head. I was kinda excited about the increase in me value. :p