PDA

View Full Version : Messenger bag recommendations?

FlashUNC
05-07-2015, 12:29 PM
I put this out to the peanut gallery. Long story short, I was mugged this morning and my long-time laptop/messenger bag was stolen. (Don't worry, I'm fine, just a bit of a scuffle with some bumps and bruises.)

So after a decade of faithful service, I'm going to need something fairly soon to replacement. Any suggestions on bags that you all happen to like?

mktng
05-07-2015, 12:33 PM
holy crap. glad to hear youre okay. how did it go down ?!

on topic.

I use the Chrome Kirov. Good bag.... and im sure you know someone who knows someone who has a "messenger bro deal" at 50% off...its worth it. I hate their customer support/care dept. But the bag as been absolutely problem free with heavy usage for over 3 years now.

GRAVELBIKE
05-07-2015, 12:34 PM
Yikes! Sorry to hear about that.

I really like my Alchemy Goods bag. Very comfortable.

FlashUNC
05-07-2015, 01:01 PM
It could have been a lot worse, so I'm just relieved they made off with the bag, which is a shame, because I had that thing for a lot of years and I was sentimental about the damn thing.

Walking to the local BART stop, two guys jumped me. One walked past and shoulder checked me while the other grabbed me and his buddy behind me tried to get a couple cheap shots in.

Ended up on the ground and they made off with my wallet and bag. I think they would have stuck around longer but I was making all sorts of noise. Shame nobody came by at that time to help.

So that's the long version. Short version is I need a new messenger bag.

GRAVELBIKE
05-07-2015, 01:11 PM
Just curious, which BART station (asking as a former bay area resident)?

ceolwulf
05-07-2015, 01:13 PM
That's bad enough but good to hear it wasn't worse.

Been very happy with my Jandd. I'd have to check which size I have - pretty sure it's the smaller one - the big one can double as an emergency shelter.

http://www.jandd.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FANDRW

CSKeller
05-07-2015, 01:15 PM
I've had my medium BaileyWorks bag for at least 5 years and I use it for almost everything. I commute 42 miles/day 3+ days per week and it is awesome!

They are a little pricey but amazing quality and support! I've had no issues with mine at all.

Check them out: http://www.baileyworks.com/

CSKeller
Colorado Springs, CO

FlashUNC
05-07-2015, 01:22 PM
Just curious, which BART station (asking as a former bay area resident)?

North Berkeley.

sweet_johnny
05-07-2015, 01:30 PM
Damn, dude. I'm glad you're ok.

As for a messenger bag... It's the Bailey Works Super Pro (http://www.baileyworks.com/professional/super-pro/options/).

There are a whole host of reasons to buy a Bailey Works such as:
- the bag is study as hell
- the strap is sewn at an angle so the bag lays flat over your bag... making it comfortable as hell
- they're made by hand in New Hampsire by a handful of people
- John Bailey is a hell of a nice guy... I'm pretty sure he usually picks up the phone if you call. Every time I've talked to him I get the impression that he's interested in keeping his customers happy. Whether that means fixing a broken bag (which is rare) or customizing your bag for you... he wants people to have the best experience with Bailey Works.

I can't speak highly enough of Bailey Works and their bags.

velotrack
05-07-2015, 01:32 PM
Ever consider a backpack? I've always had far more luck with distribution of weight and balancing capacity with them over mess bags.

Glad you're OK. Bags replaceable, people not as much.

DarkStar
05-07-2015, 01:40 PM
Have a Chrome Berlin and a Cocotte Fred. I find the Cocotte to be a superior all-round bag than the Berlin, a bit smaller and less weight.
http://www.cocotte-equip.com/english/items/fred-black.html
http://www.chromeindustries.com/ca/en/berlin

scrubadub
05-07-2015, 01:45 PM
Yikes glad you're ok. Another vote for a Baileyworks.

William
05-07-2015, 02:43 PM
This gentleman is local...

http://www.champbags.net
https://instagram.com/champbags/

He makes some nice gear. Some of you met him when he joined us on the Rhode Island Ramble one year.

William

djg
05-07-2015, 02:48 PM
Man, that's a bummer. Glad you're more or less ok, but sorry it happened at all.

No great suggestions for a messenger bag -- I've tried a couple and my super-sized timbuk2 can hold a great deal of stuff, but for most on-the-bike purposes I prefer backpacks. I've been using a Patagonia bag that looks like a backpack-ish version of a messenger bag -- their larger "black hole" bag -- and it's a good tough and fairly comfortable bag -- holds a bunch of stuff, padded laptop sleeve, but if you want a proper messenger bag that doesn't help you.

jr59
05-07-2015, 02:54 PM
This one if you want it;

http://www.burrobags.com/products/burroxl-large-messenger-black

Lewis Moon
05-07-2015, 02:58 PM
Ever consider a backpack? I've always had far more luck with distribution of weight and balancing capacity with them over mess bags.

Glad you're OK. Bags replaceable, people not as much.

WOW, I don't know how I might take getting mugged. Really glad you're OK.
I like the backpack option, too. I can't have anything even remotely heavy over one shoulder for very long w/o my back complaining. Discs. As Velo said, backpacks are also much better on the bike.

Johnnyg
05-07-2015, 03:34 PM
I put this out to the peanut gallery. Long story short, I was mugged this morning and my long-time laptop/messenger bag was stolen. (Don't worry, I'm fine, just a bit of a scuffle with some bumps and bruises.)

So after a decade of faithful service, I'm going to need something fairly soon to replacement. Any suggestions on bags that you all happen to like?
glad your are not hurt too seriously. I like the Bailey Works products. Call Toni, she will make it to your specs. Very good quality and made in the USA. good luck

moose8
05-07-2015, 03:38 PM
I use my Timbuk2 bag on my commute everyday and the thing is indestructible plus pretty easy to clean the inside if my coffee or smoothie or anything leaks, which is rare but when it does I've been glad the bag was so easy to clean.

makoti
05-07-2015, 03:54 PM
Love my Timbuk2 bags. I have three, one in s,m,l. Well built & CS is outstanding with them.
Glad to hear you're ok.

guido
05-07-2015, 04:16 PM
Another vote for Timbuk2. Indestructible.

Glad you are ok.

GRAVELBIKE
05-07-2015, 04:22 PM
My OG* Timbuk2 bags were bombproof, but I killed one of their newer bags in a single day at this year's Interbike trade show.

*15-ish years old.

Keith A
05-07-2015, 04:34 PM
My OG* Timbuk2 bags were bombproof, but I killed one of their newer bags in a single day at this year's Interbike trade show.

*15-ish years old.How did you kill a bag in one day?

buckfifty
05-07-2015, 04:37 PM
timbuk2 usually has sales going on and you can probably get a nice bag on the cheap

mgm777
05-07-2015, 05:38 PM
Flash - Dude you are now in NoCal -- get a Chrome or Mission Workshop...support your fellow NoCal peeps. Glad to hear you are okay and healthy. Peace.

mecse
05-07-2015, 06:00 PM

Great attitude. Keep it up. I have a bag from Crumpler - have had the same messenger bag for 9 years. It had daily service every day from 2006-2011, and is now on occasional service. Laptop, dog (inside), luggage, gym gear. It's been dropped. It's been on multiple continents, and still looks and functions just like it did on day 1. Highly Highly recommended.

They used to do retail in the states, but I think they shut down. Still, great bags.

nrs5000
05-07-2015, 06:47 PM
Man, that sucks. Glad you are ok. Seconding mission workshop.

blessthismess
05-07-2015, 07:31 PM
Bummer news, glad you're alright.
Buy a Freight bag or a ReLoad, they will last Forever and both operations are nice people and have great customer service

rwsaunders
05-07-2015, 07:39 PM
Don't let the punks ruin your day...glad to hear that you're ok. I've been using a Chrome Buran for about a year with good luck in the rain, fitting under an airplane seat and client visits, as in my particular case, it's all black. It's good for stashing a quart of Guiness too on the walk home from the office.

GRAVELBIKE
05-07-2015, 07:42 PM
How did you kill a bag in one day?

Blew out one of the major seams and the shoulder strap (carrying a metric sh1t-ton of catalogs).

Walked over to the Chrome booth and bought one of these to replace it:

http://www.chromeindustries.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/b/a/barrage_tccbarrage_hero.jpg

phcollard
05-07-2015, 08:08 PM
Cocotte is nice. Made in a small workshop down my street. Let me know if you want one. I'd be happy to ship it to you if you don't find Cocottes around.

djg21
05-07-2015, 08:49 PM

*15-ish years old.

I have one of the Timbuk2 command TSA-friendly messenger bags. it's more of a briefcase than a messenger bag, but I like it a lot. I keep my iPad and keyboard in the laptop pouch, and have plenty of room for files and miscellaneous crap. It is really handy to Kay it flat on belt for the x-ray machine at the airport too.

http://www.timbuk2.com/command-tsa-friendly-ipad-laptop-messenger-bag/174.html?dwvar_174_color=2226&dwvar_174_size=8#/dwvar_174-4-2226_size=8&dwvar_174-4-2226_color=6023

MattTuck
05-07-2015, 09:04 PM
Dude, that sucks. Sorry to hear it. Can't recommend anything meaningful. The last messenger bag I bought was in 2000 or 2001 and it was a Timbuk2. It lasted and worked well, but I think that it is probably very different from the products they sell today.

Hope you're feeling better.

jtakeda
05-07-2015, 09:24 PM
Size?

Freight or ReLoad are my votes.

shovelhd
05-07-2015, 09:28 PM
Glad you are OK.

hesh0925
05-07-2015, 11:09 PM
Sorry to hear. I've used a few and my favourite so far has been the Mission Workshop Vandal. It's a pretty good size. Big enough for most things and very durable.

JAllen
05-07-2015, 11:12 PM
Blackstar Bags out of Portland! Amazing products from amazing people. :)

schwa86
05-08-2015, 05:27 AM
I got this Chrome: http://www.chromeindustries.com/ca/en/bags/soma

It is super stable, holds a ton of crap, and all the cool kids at work are willing to associate with me as a bonus.

roguedog
05-08-2015, 08:26 AM
Used a bailey super pro for years as my travel laptop carry-on and whatnot carry all. While i was visiting work hq,it was my mobile office. I really liked it for that. I don't travel for work quite as much anymore and use pannier for commute.

Sent ya pm if you're interested. It's nice bright yellow so you're seen.

redir
05-08-2015, 08:47 AM
Geesh Flash sorry to hear about your assault. Is it possible there are cameras on the platform or something that can help identify the animals that attacked you? I hope you reported it to the police?

Anyway... I've got a Timbuk2 and one called 'The Backside.' The Backside one I like much better. I bought it when it was just a little start up company many years ago and I think they have since changed but it's very comfortable. The Tim is okay too.

FlashUNC
05-08-2015, 08:53 AM
Geesh Flash sorry to hear about your assault. Is it possible there are cameras on the platform or something that can help identify the animals that attacked you? I hope you reported it to the police?

Anyway... I've got a Timbuk2 and one called 'The Backside.' The Backside one I like much better. I bought it when it was just a little start up company many years ago and I think they have since changed but it's very comfortable. The Tim is okay too.

Cops are on the case. It happened outside the station about a half-block away. Cops were there within 90 seconds of the assailants leaving with my stuff, but couldn't find them in neighborhood. Investigation is ongoing and there's a detective assigned to this case, so we'll see where it goes. I'll update everyone here when there's more I can share.

FlashUNC
05-08-2015, 08:54 AM
Appreciate all the recommendations everyone (and offers). I'm chewing over my options now and haggling with banks and insurance and all the other fun stuff that happens when something like this goes down.

I'll check all of your recommendations out and when I get some more specific questions I'll come back with them.

A trip to Mission Workshop to ogle some goodies might be in order today.

Keith A
05-08-2015, 10:16 AM
Blew out one of the major seams and the shoulder strap (carrying a metric sh1t-ton of catalogs).

Walked over to the Chrome booth and bought one of these to replace it:
Thanks for the info.

Idris Icabod
05-08-2015, 11:02 AM
I've had a couple of Chrome bags, I used a Chrome Metropolis for about 10 years riding every day in the Tucson sun, it faded pretty badly but otherwise is still perfectly functional (even after nailing a parked car - my fault). My wife bought me a shiny new Chrome backpack to replace it. To be honest I like the messenger bag better, the backpack has way too much velcro and the stuff on the inside tends to snag the clothes I'm carrying for work.

If your original bag was a Chrome then you might want to shoot them an e-mail. I've read some of the stories of bags they have warrantied, and your experience sounds kinda right up their street!

I'm sorry about your experience, feel better soon. I was mugged and beaten whilst a student in Manchester, UK 20 odd years ago. I still remember getting smashed in the head with a brick and falling but thinking at least this is the end of it, turns out when I was on the ground it was pretty much just the start.

jr59
05-08-2015, 11:09 AM
A trip to Mission Workshop to ogle some goodies might be in order today.

This sounds to me to be a very good idea, as well as being fun! :banana:

Jesper64
05-08-2015, 11:28 AM
Another vote for Crumpler bags. Mine has served me well for 8 years and still going strong. The colours have faded a bit but putting it through the washing machine keeps it clean.

weaponsgrade
05-08-2015, 12:22 PM
Oh jeeze, glad you're OK. Here's my take on bags: If you're looking to use a messenger bag on the bike I would make sure you get one with a strap to keep the bag from sliding forward. The large messenger bags work great on a bike, but walking around with a loaded bag makes the shoulder hurt. If you want to carry a bunch of stuff and will be walking around a lot, I would look into a backpack.

Slamcarneyson
05-08-2015, 01:44 PM
Oh jeeze, glad you're OK. Here's my take on bags: If you're looking to use a messenger bag on the bike I would make sure you get one with a strap to keep the bag from sliding forward. The large messenger bags work great on a bike, but walking around with a loaded bag makes the shoulder hurt. If you want to carry a bunch of stuff and will be walking around a lot, I would look into a backpack.

Agreed, Roadrunner bags out of LA makes a pretty solid bag. Gotta give them some time to make it but its a well made product.

Anarchist
05-08-2015, 06:14 PM
I have, and use two bags.

The Timbuk2 Especial bag and the Mission Workshop Shed.

Very good bags, both of them.

I especially like the ability to switch sides for the straps. As far as I can tell they are both waterproof. I have never had any water issues with either of them certainly.