PDA

View Full Version : Close Color Match to Ti

tooslow4u
05-07-2015, 10:16 AM
Trying to find the closest color to match bare Titanium. Is it silver, pewter or aluminum?

Thanks

Dead Man
05-07-2015, 10:23 AM
Probably pewter.. You looking to match paint?

I haven't done it yet, but Duracoat has a "titanium" that's apparently a good match for Ti. They have it available in an aerosol, but it's one of the few Duracoat colors you have to clear-coat, which basically doubles the cost. $60 is a small price to pay for a good match, but it's usually about $56 more than guys were planning to spend when they decided to DYI their forks. ;)

mod6
05-07-2015, 10:38 AM
Pewter and Ti. Real life the CK head has less purple then pictured.

http://i1275.photobucket.com/albums/y446/K2razorback/Eriksen/IMG_5188_zpse448dbcd.jpg

tooslow4u
05-07-2015, 10:40 AM
Probably pewter.. You looking to match paint?

I haven't done it yet, but Duracoat has a "titanium" that's apparently a good match for Ti. They have it available in an aerosol, but it's one of the few Duracoat colors you have to clear-coat, which basically doubles the cost. $60 is a small price to pay for a good match, but it's usually about $56 more than guys were planning to spend when they decided to DYI their forks. ;)

yea not expecting to spend that much. Basically I have a frame pump now blue and want to color match the Ti frame. Rattle can should do.

tooslow4u
05-07-2015, 10:42 AM
Pewter and Ti. Real life the CK head has less purple then pictured.

http://i1275.photobucket.com/albums/y446/K2razorback/Eriksen/IMG_5188_zpse448dbcd.jpg

Nice! I was thinking of changing the headset also. Was looking at either Black Sotto Voce or the Pewter color.

tooslow4u
05-07-2015, 10:51 AM
purchased the Spectrum from uber and looking to replace the purple headset to black sotto voce or pewter.

teleguy57
05-07-2015, 11:16 AM
It also depends on the finish on the ti -- brushed, peened, or polished -- and even the brushed finished can vary in hue.

Steve refinished a Moots post from their peened finished to his brushed finish to match my Hampsten ti Gran Paradiso and it's a great look. I have a Deda Zero 100 stem in their dark metal finish that I'm iffy on how well it works.

I've seen some forks done by Spectrum Powder Works that nail it for match to ti, and other forks online that are close. I suppose it also depends on whether you want a perfect match, a good enough match, or some real contrast. Seems to me the middle ground is hard to find.