PDA

View Full Version : Which Garmin?

overmyhead
05-07-2015, 09:05 AM
Hi all,
I've been wanting to get a Garmin for a while now but there are so many models that it is very difficult to determine which model might be best for me.
Here are my needs (which are few).
Ideally $300 or under.
Color map of my route.
Turn by turn directions.
Able to preload a route on my own or from a Fondo site etc.
Basic speed,avg speed, altitude etc stats.
General water resistance.
I don't care about heart rate, cadence, calories and those related stats.
I was looking at the Garmin Edge Touring model but it got some sour reviews.
Any help or suggestions here including other brands would be appreciated.
Thanks!

cderalow
05-07-2015, 09:16 AM
So there's two real criteria that matter.

Under $300 and the maps.

Under $300 and with maps you're looking at the edge touring versions.

Or... a used Edge 800 or 810 if you can find it for less than $300.

most likely an edge 800 if you're going used.

CAAD
05-07-2015, 10:53 AM
I just picked up a edge touring plus. Retail is $299 and can do heart rate only. The regular model cant to heart rate and retails is 250. They both come with the full map card so you can get turn by turn directions. I travel a bit and like to bring my bike with me. With the touring it has a feature that can create a round trip route for you on the fly. Works really well to. Tell it how many miles you want to ride and it will give you three route options. You can also pre load an existing route or create your own on garmin connect.

CAAD
05-07-2015, 10:57 AM
I read the bad reviews and i think people expect to much out of product sometimes. Like any garmin in heavily wooded areas its not going to track that great. I just received a firmware update last week and it has improved the performance of the interface and map.

simple
05-07-2015, 10:59 AM
Hi all,
I've been wanting to get a Garmin for a while now but there are so many models that it is very difficult to determine which model might be best for me.
Here are my needs (which are few).
Ideally $300 or under.
Color map of my route.
Turn by turn directions.
Able to preload a route on my own or from a Fondo site etc.
Basic speed,avg speed, altitude etc stats.
General water resistance.
I don't care about heart rate, cadence, calories and those related stats.
I was looking at the Garmin Edge Touring model but it got some sour reviews.
Any help or suggestions here including other brands would be appreciated.
Thanks!

I have a 705 that I'm willing to part with, PM me and we'll sort out the details if you're looking to go used.

eippo1
05-07-2015, 11:07 AM
If I were you, I'd check out some LBSes. They might have some 800s left over and marked down. From there, just download the opensource maps.

cderalow
05-07-2015, 11:43 AM
If I were you, I'd check out some LBSes. They might have some 800s left over and marked down. From there, just download the opensource maps.

I picked up a used 800 about a month ago...

the opensource maps work great.

shovelhd
05-07-2015, 12:00 PM
I am not a fan of the open source maps. Are they color now? Maybe they have improved since I tried them 3 years ago.

cderalow
05-07-2015, 12:09 PM
I am not a fan of the open source maps. Are they color now? Maybe they have improved since I tried them 3 years ago.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/34919262/Pictures/46.bmp

Taken just now on my 800 using opensource maps.

That's near RFK stadium in Washington DC (last location my garmin was on and had satellite reception)

they're about 95% good. there are some areas that aren't as good (newly developed or changed areas) and the points of interest can be a pain...

but they've worked for me.

Alan
05-07-2015, 12:58 PM
If you can find a new 800 you can buy it but there won't be any more software updates but they do work fine. If you want increased functionality buy an 810.

The open source maps work great for me in the US and I have used them in France.

See inst on DC Rainmakers site to load on an 800.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/05/download-garmin-705800810.html

Alan

commonguy001
05-07-2015, 05:40 PM
I got a great deal on a new 800 last year and really like it. The turn by turn for gravel races has been awesome.

cderalow
05-08-2015, 07:23 AM
I got a great deal on a new 800 last year and really like it. The turn by turn for gravel races has been awesome.

It's been great for me on the distance charity rides.

commonguy001
05-08-2015, 08:33 AM
I wanted to add -
GPS City just got a batch of factory refurbished 800s and 810s in stock.
The 800 with complete bundle (maps, premium hr, cadence, etc) is 299. The 810 basic unit is 329.

Not bad prices and has a 1 year factory warranty. I'd do the 800 again if I was ordering today.

overmyhead
05-08-2015, 09:08 AM
Thanks everyone.
It sounds like the 800 is the way to go if I can get it, otherwise the touring that I initially looked at.

adhumston
05-08-2015, 09:43 AM
I had an 800 for two years and loved it. Used open source maps and never had any issues in my area (midwest). Unfortunately I left it on the roof of my car after a mtb ride and lost it. I subsequently purchased a 1000 off of the forum a few months ago for a great price... I don't have much ride time on the 1000 yet as I'm recovering from an ACL surgery, but from what I've used so far (with my admittedly little experience with it), I'd probably just buy an 800/810 if I had to do it again.

Short story - I loved the 800 and don't think you can go wrong with it.

djg21
05-08-2015, 12:09 PM
I just received an e-mail from BikeRiresDirect.com announcing that its sale on Garmins ends today. Take a look: https://www.biketiresdirect.com/product/garmin-edge-810

For what it's worth, I've used a 705, 800 and 810 at various times, and my wife uses a 510. I really like the 510-810, and in particular the Bluetooth connectivity, which allows my training data to be uploaded automatically to Garmin Connect, Training Peaks, and Strava. The 1000 has some really nice features, but is just too big.

On the other hand, if you are farsighted and need to wear corrective lenses, you and are unable to see smaller font sizes, you may want to go with the 1000. My wife has this issue, and we limit the number of fields displaying to make the font larger, but the screen still is relatively small.