PDA

View Full Version : Question about rim braking surface wear

ontarget
05-06-2015, 02:05 PM
I recently acquired a set of Mavic Ksyrium SL wheels as part of a parts purchase. Didn't really want the wheels, but the price was right for the whole package.

The wheels clearly have some use, but appear to be in very good condition. When I was inspecting them I could feel slight concavity on the braking surface. This is my first set of wheels without wear indicators, so I don't know how much is acceptable nor how much is already worn. The concavity is hardly visible, and when I measure it relative to the inner and outer circumferences of the braking surface using a depth gauge I come up with approximately .18mm. Of course, I don't know the total rim width when new, so I have no idea how worn the inner and outer circumferences are.

With this information, can anyone tell me if this seems excessive? Do these wheels have life left or would this much concavity mean they're unsafe?

I live in sunny southern California where it almost never rains and I rarely need to do much braking, so I've never significantly worn any braking surfaces on my own.

Thanks in advance.