PDA

View Full Version : totally OT: wedding ring re-sizing

AngryScientist
05-06-2015, 12:36 PM
OK, i realize this is a boring topic, but my wife has asked that for mother's day, i get her engagement ring re-sized. the short story is that it's gold, has sentimental value, and is now too big for her. she wont wear it now out of fear of losing it, since it's too loose.

how do i go about finding a jeweler to accomplish this task? anything i should know?

SoCalSteve
05-06-2015, 12:42 PM
Any competent jeweler can do this. She needs to be resized first. They cut off a small piece of the band and solder it ( I think ) back and then polish it. You will never even knew it was done.

carpediemracing
05-06-2015, 12:44 PM
I think any reasonable jeweler should be able to do this.

An alternative is to buy another one.

I have my original wedding band at the house. It's way too large now but I don't want it resized. I bought some other cheaper ones for display, meaning to wear/show. I generally don't wear a ring as I've hurt my finger a few times, and on the bike it really, really hurts to ride with a ring on.

PQJ
05-06-2015, 12:44 PM
Or they could add two knob-like thingies on the bottom that will achieve the same thing. Either way, yer running out of time!

enr1co
05-06-2015, 12:49 PM
Any competent jeweler can do this. She needs to be resized first. They cut off a small piece of the band and solder it ( I think ) back and then polish it. You will never even knew it was done.

Would a jeweler be able to enlarge a ring? I stopped wearing mine as my sausage fingers got even more sausage'y :(

Lewis Moon
05-06-2015, 12:52 PM
I think any reasonable jeweler should be able to do this.

An alternative is to buy another one.

I have my original wedding band at the house. It's way too large now but I don't want it resized. I bought some other cheaper ones for display, meaning to wear/show. I generally don't wear a ring as I've hurt my finger a few times, and on the bike it really, really hurts to ride with a ring on.

This. I'm going to buy a Ti ring for "everyday" wear.

pdmtong
05-06-2015, 01:05 PM
Nick, re-sizing a ring isn't a big deal but IMHO it's not a Mother's Day gift despite her request. There are still four more days to do something else.

For mother's day we will be hosting my MIL, instead of me being at AToC stage 1 watching the womens and mens closing circuits. Oh well, I get a do over when they come closer for stage 3 on Tuesday.

Like anything, find a few jewelers and ask how they would do it, how long and cost. We have had a few re-sized and you cannot tell.

Idris Icabod
05-06-2015, 01:06 PM

Resizing a ring is really easy in gold but it is my understanding that Ti can not be resized (at least at the average jeweler). I have a Ti wedding ring and when we bought it they had to get multiple sizes in because I have really skinny fingers and getting one on over the finger joint and then not being too loose was a challenge.

I bought my wife's wedding ring at Jared, it is platinum and diamonds but I bought her a white gold engagement ring from elsewhere. Jared will replate the white gold for free if bought from them, so they soldered the engagament ring and wedding ring together and now will plate the white gold for free since it is now attached to the platinum ring I bought from them. I've had pretty good service from Jared if you have one locally.

jr59
05-06-2015, 01:11 PM
Depends on the ring it's self. Most can be done w/o any trouble. BUT some, because of the way the ring is made, stones are set, can not be done.

Check a few jewelers around you.

Same way for baking them bigger.

Dave B
05-06-2015, 01:13 PM
I recently lost my wedding band and it was pretty cheap to begin with, but replaced it with a fun tattoo that incorporates a lot of silly stuff my wife and I have between us. She was in tears for two days with joy and the love.

While it isn't about resizing it will never get lost...well it would be hard to lose it, but not impossible.

Just a thought.

shovelhd
05-06-2015, 06:21 PM
My brother is a master jeweler in Southport, CT. If you get stuck or want to go with someone you can trust PM me.

William
05-06-2015, 06:30 PM
I recently lost my wedding band and it was pretty cheap to begin with, but replaced it with a fun tattoo that incorporates a lot of silly stuff my wife and I have between us. She was in tears for two days with joy and the love.

While it isn't about resizing it will never get lost...well it would be hard to lose it, but not impossible.

Just a thought.

A gentleman who trains under me recently stopped wearing his wedding ring and had a Celtic styled wedding "ring" tattooed on his ring finger. She was okay with it it so that's fine. Always on and never needs resizing or need cutting off when he gets his fingers/hand bashed.

William

rwsaunders
05-06-2015, 07:44 PM
The thread reminded me of my late father-in-law's quote when people asked him why he didn't wear a wedding ring. He used to say "I don't need a ring...people just look at my face and they can tell that I'm married."

Louis
05-06-2015, 07:50 PM
I don't think this has to be boring at all.

Just tell her that you're surprised that it's still too small for her, because you'd noticed that recently she's been putting on a few pounds.

I can guarantee that that will be the last you hear about the ring... ;)

Web1111a
05-06-2015, 10:23 PM
I have a jeweler friend

Pm me

josephr
05-06-2015, 10:32 PM
A gentleman who trains under me recently stopped wearing his wedding ring and had a Celtic styled wedding "ring" tattooed on his ring finger. She was okay with it it so that's fine. Always on and never needs resizing or need cutting off when he gets his fingers/hand bashed.

William

hate to be a Debbie Downer here...but I worked with a guy who tattooed his wedding band and his wife did not --- he didn't key in to the dissimilar commitment and they were divorced a couple of years later....tattoo didn't come off when the court papers were signed.

Dave B
05-07-2015, 09:54 AM
hate to be a Debbie Downer here...but I worked with a guy who tattooed his wedding band and his wife did not --- he didn't key in to the dissimilar commitment and they were divorced a couple of years later....tattoo didn't come off when the court papers were signed.

Seriously, that is your reference for why tattoo rings aren't a good way to go. Did your friend go into the marriage expecting it not to work? Probably not.

I tried and failed at marriage once and I will gladly own that as I tried so hard to make it work. Even then I didn't go into it thinking, hey maybe in a couple of years I'll look for something else. When I remarried I followed my heart and made sure that my wife (g-friend at the time) was on the same page so we both wouldn't make the same mistakes. Had a plain ring and ended up losing it.

I lost my ring a few months ago and with out realizing it, realized the ring really meant a lot to me. It was a cheap cobalt ring and had zero monetary value. I didn't want to buy the same one as the meaning wasn't the same as when my wife put it on me. So I got a tattoo last week that has a boat load of meaning to my wife and I. i love her more than anything in the world and I wanted to show that level of significance to her. For two days every time she saw it she cried with happiness.

Does ···· happen, absolutely. I choose to hope for the best and believe in love. If I am wrong then I get to live with my decision, but I will make this marriage work until I die.

Ok, maybe I am taking this too personal and I will own that, but change your paradigm on the topic to allow for this type of gesture to be a nobel and forever one.

William
05-07-2015, 10:08 AM

Sure, it's a possibility, but they've been happily together for a long time so I would be willing to bet they're in for the long haul.

William

tooslow4u
05-07-2015, 10:20 AM
Had mine resized from when first purchsed because in the summer, i had fat fingers.

They were able to resize down but cannot resize up so make sure you get properly measured before. :banana:

shovelhd
05-07-2015, 11:35 AM
Sizing can be done both ways. It depends on the ring and the capability of the jeweler.

AngryScientist
05-07-2015, 11:37 AM
thanks for the info folks. talked to a local jeweler last night and i think i'm squared away.

carpediemracing
05-07-2015, 09:29 PM

I know the OP is set but I bought some inexpensive tungsten rings, three of them, I think they were $30 or $40 each. I bought them because someone asked me out, not realizing I was married, so I try to wear them when going out for dinner or something. I'm not a stud or anything but it's just to clarify things.

I don't want to change the ring that we used in our wedding. That's just me. It's so big on me now - I'm probably 30-40 lbs lighter than I was when I got married. I lost it once when it fell off without me realizing it. We found it in a baseboard heater in a hallway, a place where we don't hang out or anything so we never looked there. After that I decided to just save it.

kramnnim
05-07-2015, 09:49 PM
The tungsten rings are extremely scratch resistant, much harder than ti.

Louis
05-07-2015, 09:56 PM
Just don't ever be in a situation where it has to be cut off your finger.

kramnnim
05-07-2015, 09:58 PM
They are very brittle and allegedly can be cracked apart with visegrips. Mine has a hairline crack from when it flew off my finger and bounced onto a concrete floor.

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gom0Hk-acpM

Louis
05-07-2015, 10:05 PM
Another thing - a few years ago I was in an aircraft maintenance hanger where they had one of those "Safety" posters up with a bunch of gruesome pictures of various accidents. One of the captions was "Remove all jewelry while working" (or something like that) and next to it was a picture of a guy's hand right after an accident. His ring had gotten caught in something and it was pulled toward the fingertip. All the flesh had been ripped off, and just the white bone was left. It was one of the nastiest things I've seen in a while and made quite an impression. A perfectly good thumb and three other good fingers, and for the ring finger, just clean bone.

Moral of the story: be careful with jewelry when doing maintenance work.

carpediemracing
05-07-2015, 11:50 PM
+1

I usually have a ring on the keychain and slip it on when going out to dinner or something. Otherwise I don't wear a ring.

josephr
05-08-2015, 08:35 AM
Sure, it's a possibility, but they've been happily together for a long time so I would be willing to bet they're in for the long haul.

William

In that case...nothing says "I Love You" like matching face tats...