PDA

View Full Version : Do you share with horses and do you yield?!?

spiderman
05-05-2015, 05:27 PM
Not only am I learning how to ride mountain trails with Tru on lead
I am learning that many equestrians have a great disdain for cyclists
Always taking the right of way...except that when you make friends
You let horse pals pass...any other trail sharing experiences??
The two ladies in the photo were so afraid of Tru
Because of being attacked from behind by a dobe a few years ago.
We were all very happy to build on a positive experience.
Truman even cleaned up joes matted front leg...
And got a friendly lick in return;)

OldCrank
05-05-2015, 05:34 PM
the horsies do like to 'decorate' the trails.

I have NO problem with them.
Their riders on the other hand... well, most are pretty cool.

It's sad, the animals that only get taken out occasionally.
They were bred as work animals, not stall decorations.

spiderman
05-05-2015, 05:37 PM
They saddle up almost every day!

unterhausen
05-05-2015, 05:41 PM
I am growing to hate horse people more and more over time. That being said, if I'm near a horse, I do whatever I can to make it easier for the animal and rider. I'm not the sort of person to take retribution on some random person for the bad actions of people that have the same avocation -- even if those bad actions seem nearly universal. In return, maybe some of those horse people can someday manage to pass a cyclist safely on the roads. But I'm not holding my breath.

Ken Robb
05-05-2015, 05:43 PM
There are a few areas near me where I can meet horses and I ALWAYS yield, stop, wait quietly for them to pass. They are unpredictable animals and can often be spooked by unfamiliar things like bicycles, joggers and strange dogs. This can be dangerous to their riders and other people nearby including cyclists. Equestrians are usually very appreciative of my caution and consideration.

christian
05-05-2015, 05:46 PM
Yes, I yield. Horses are big and dumb. It's in our collective interest for me to yield.

Louis
05-05-2015, 05:47 PM
Yes, I yield. Horses are big and dumb. It's in our collective interest for me to yield.

This leads me to think that maybe 4 horse legs = 4 car wheels.

unterhausen
05-05-2015, 05:55 PM
I never really realized how dangerous horses could be around cyclists until someone posted a video of a road race where there was a pretty bad incident with some horses. Since then, I am careful not to spook them and let their riders know I am passing. Couldn't find the video, IIRC it was in New York somewhere

nmrt
05-05-2015, 06:06 PM
Out here Colorado, the law is that hikers, runner, and bikers must yield to horses. so, I always do. I wait on the side of the trail and let them pass. I would do it no other way even if that was not the law.

As people have said, horses can be easily spooked -- by brake noise, by hub sound, by the swoosh of the wind as you go zipping by. It is dangerous for the horse riders and for you as well.

mobilemail
05-05-2015, 06:08 PM
Horses also have relatively poor eyesight. If they do spook, the rider is in considerable danger. This is one time where caution on the cyclist's part is more than just courtesy.

gdw
05-05-2015, 06:09 PM
I always slow down or stop and ask the rider whether their horse is comfortable with me passing. Practically all of them have let me go by and thanked me for asking. The few whose horses were skittish yielded the trail when it widened out. I'd rather be delayed for 10-30 seconds than see a rider or animal hurt.

cat6
05-05-2015, 06:12 PM
Yes, you yield.

http://cotamtb.com/wp-content/uploads/IMBA_Yield_Sign.jpg

rnhood
05-05-2015, 06:21 PM
You don't want to risk a horse throwing the rider. We just about always slow down and wait for the rider to wave us on, or we ask before proceeding. It might seem unnecessary but I'm never in a hurry on the bike unless I'm racing - in which case we don't encounter horseback riding.

dustyrider
05-05-2015, 06:26 PM
Beyond yeilding and stepping off the trail you should make human noises.

There are wild Broncos on a trail I ride from time to time. Fight or flight isn't something you want to experience from a wild horse or pack, never mind a momma and her foal/filly.

If the horses are being ridden, they know a human's voice and feel much more comfortable knowing their poor eye sight is seeing a human rather than say a bear.

JeffS
05-05-2015, 06:37 PM
State forest is right across the street. I do a lot of miles on double-track with horses.

I always yield because I feel it's the right thing to do. Many horses are poorly trained and/or ridden and even though I harbor some disdain for their owners (the ones with the poorly trained animals), I don't want anyone to get injured because I flew past them. It doesn't bother me in the least to slow and allow the rider to do what they need to do.

The groups of walkers taking up the entire trail though... yea, I despise them.

sworcester
05-05-2015, 06:40 PM
Yes, you yield.

http://cotamtb.com/wp-content/uploads/IMBA_Yield_Sign.jpg

That's how it is in my area, and I respect that. It is amazing how freaked the horse people get thinking I won't yield. Then very appreciative when I do.

dolface
05-05-2015, 06:59 PM
San Francisco here and I always yield if they're coming towards me, make eye contact and ask if they want me to walk my bike.

When overtaking I call out politely that there are N bikes overtaking them, ask if we should walk past, keep talking as I ride by (for the horses 'cause they're not very smart and people-sounds make them calmer) and say "thank you, have a nice ride" as I pass.

In 17 years of riding here I've been asked to walk <10 times, been treated rudely twice and thanked the rest of the times.

The debate between equestrians and cyclists tends to be pretty rancorous here so I'm doing what I can to make it a little less so. It usually takes about 30 seconds.

CSTRider
05-05-2015, 09:00 PM
I ride on the local mountain bike patrol and we've been trained to be especially cautious when approaching horses. If you approach straight on from the front, they may not even see you because of the location of their eyes, while vision to their sides and rear are quite good. They also don't like it when something approaches quickly from above (such mountain bikers descending), and may elicit a sudden 400 meter "prey response" at great peril to even the most experienced rider. In Colorado, we also have a fair number of domesticated "mustangs" and rescue animals who may be just getting acquainted with their new owners and humans in general.

So for all these reasons, it's best to slow down or dismount and engage the rider about the best way to proceed.

Fyi, there's some good info about how horses perceive the world here (https://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/publication/Ag_Equine_2005-02.pdf).

DCW
05-05-2015, 09:01 PM
I don't see any on my bike, but at the local park where I take my kids on hikes, they are often there. The trails are wide, so we ALWAYS yield without exception and let them pass. whether it's the sight of the big off-road stroller, or the sight of a toddler on the trail, the animals get skiddish and so do I! The riders are always very nice and appreciative, and the kids love the closer look at the animals.

Oddly enough, when i'm doing a trail run by myself at the same park (no bikes allowed!), neither the horse and rider nor I seem to have any problems, it's like two ships passing in the night. Go figure.

oliver1850
05-05-2015, 09:17 PM
I don't recall coming across one on the trail but I would stop if I did. When riding on the road, I speak to horses (and cows) when approaching their pastures, so as not to startle them. That said, I have a fair amount of disdain for their riders. They never fail to be out on the trail right after a rain, ride two abreast leaving 2" deep craters the full width of the trail, and ruin it for cycling. Before the trail got popular with the equestrians I used to be able to ride the limestone at 20+ mph on 23s. The one time I've ridden it this spring, it was very tough going on 32s.

Ken Robb
05-05-2015, 09:59 PM
Is the rain-softened surface especially comfy/safe for horses? I mean: is it like me skiing on fresh powder?

William
05-06-2015, 08:06 AM
I encounter horses occasionally on some trails I ride with my children. We've never had any issues and we always yield and let them pass. Most of the issues they've had on that trail has been with hikers and their dogs not being leashed and unable to control them.

You never know: These guys are on motorcycles, they yielded the trail, moved to the side, and shut down their bikes yet their were still issues....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2sbqua5hHc

William

mcteague
05-06-2015, 08:56 AM
I don't recall coming across one on the trail but I would stop if I did. When riding on the road, I speak to horses (and cows) when approaching their pastures, so as not to startle them. That said, I have a fair amount of disdain for their riders. They never fail to be out on the trail right after a rain, ride two abreast leaving 2" deep craters the full width of the trail, and ruin it for cycling. Before the trail got popular with the equestrians I used to be able to ride the limestone at 20+ mph on 23s. The one time I've ridden it this spring, it was very tough going on 32s.

And they drop their loads every 20 feet or so. I am expected to pick up after my dog, why do they get a pass? Plus, the fact that my dog loves to eat horse poop makes hiking on those trails a PITA.:eek:

Tim

ChrisG
05-06-2015, 09:37 AM
As a rule, I get off the bike. I've come to understand that horses don't see "a person on a bike"; they see the bike and the rider as more or less a single entity. When they see a moving bike, it's more likely to look like some sort of quickly-moving, comparatively silent predator than a friendly cyclist out for a spin.

I once saw a women get thrown by a horse that shied, stopped abruptly, and ducked its head. The rider went right to the ground. Luckily, she wasn't hurt, and was more angry with the horse than anything else.

All I could think about was how far it was to the ground from the horse's back, and I bear that in mind whenever I encounter horses on the trails.

alessandro
05-06-2015, 11:42 AM
I never really realized how dangerous horses could be around cyclists until someone posted a video of a road race where there was a pretty bad incident with some horses. Since then, I am careful not to spook them and let their riders know I am passing. Couldn't find the video, IIRC it was in New York somewhere

Tour of the Catskills, 2010:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5fv91yB4Gw
I read somewhere that two riders who managed to make it through the gauntlet and did not stop went on to come in 1st and 2nd.

You never know: These guys are on motorcycles, they yielded the trail, moved to the side, and shut down their bikes yet their were still issues....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2sbqua5hHc

:eek: That is crazy!

merlinmurph
05-06-2015, 11:47 AM
Quite a few horses in our area. My first experience as a cyclist with the equestrian community was not a good one. It was the late 80's and different user groups of a large park (walkers, equestrians, and the new biker guys) were meeting to propose new rules. The two equestrian women were stereotypical horse snotty. Awful to work with. They didn't want anything to do with cyclists in their park. Downright awful people.

Saying that, all the horse people I've met while riding (road and trail) have been wonderful. Not one even remotely bad experience. On the trail, I immediately stop, get off the bike, and lay it down. The horse seems to like that better than just standing there with the bike. The riders appreciate that, and like others said, I don't want to see a rider get thrown - that's a long way down. On the road, I slow down and communicate with the rider. We greet each other, we pass each other, and we're off.

Some mt bikers feel like it's an insult on their masculinity to submit to someone else on the trail. Really?

Enjoy your ride, on a horse or on a bike,
Murph

rugbysecondrow
05-06-2015, 12:54 PM
There are a few areas near me where I can meet horses and I ALWAYS yield, stop, wait quietly for them to pass. They are unpredictable animals and can often be spooked by unfamiliar things like bicycles, joggers and strange dogs. This can be dangerous to their riders and other people nearby including cyclists. Equestrians are usually very appreciative of my caution and consideration.

This. Also, keep your mouth closed when riding trails which are shared with horses.

zap
05-06-2015, 01:53 PM
We always yield to equestrians on xc trails. On the road, I will slow way down and ask if it's ok to pass. Nothing but pleasant experiences.

GregL
05-06-2015, 02:07 PM
Always yield to horses. When I was a young man, I rode horses a great deal. I was taught that a coasting bike's freewheel can sound like a rattlesnake to a horse. Accordingly, I always stop and ask the equestrians if it would be OK to pass. If I do then ride by a horse, I try to soft pedal so that the hub makes no noise.

- Greg

Shortsocks
05-06-2015, 02:35 PM
I always slow down or stop and ask the rider whether their horse is comfortable with me passing. Practically all of them have let me go by and thanked me for asking. The few whose horses were skittish yielded the trail when it widened out. I'd rather be delayed for 10-30 seconds than see a rider or animal hurt.

Ive never thought about that before. I pass by Horses more than I would like to admit in Dallas, From Jersey :mad:, and Ive never once thought about asking about if the horse is cool with me passing. Most of the times when I pass the people on horses they are on the side of the trails on directly on them so I assume that its okay. But I'll ask next time, thanks for the heads up.

tiretrax
05-06-2015, 03:22 PM
Ive never thought about that before. I pass by Horses more than I would like to admit in Dallas, From Jersey :mad:, and Ive never once thought about asking about if the horse is cool with me passing. Most of the times when I pass the people on horses they are on the side of the trails on directly on them so I assume that its okay. But I'll ask next time, thanks for the heads up.

Be careful, Al. When on the trail around WRL, the horses are seeing lots of cars/joggers/cyclists and are fairly placid. But, near the stables, they can get a little jumpy from folks bombing down the hill and running the stop sign (which is a bad idea, no matter if a horse is present).

azrider
05-06-2015, 03:47 PM
I would say upwards of 90% of the horse handlers/riders that ride in these parts are complete a-holes

malcolm
05-06-2015, 04:14 PM
Everywhere I've ever ridden that has rules posted, bikes yield to everyone else and everyone yields to horses.

Makes sense to yield to horses they are easily spooked and I recall a few years ago someone was thrown and died after the horse was spooked by a bike.

Hikers are frequent where I ride and most will step off the trail to allow you to pass if they see you, which makes sense to me and usually what I allow to happen. The only time I stop for hikers is if it's a group and they are not paying attention. I always give a greeting no matter if I'm yielding or they are. Never been much discord between the groups here that I'm aware of. Occasionally see both hiker and mtn bikes with dogs off their leash, thus far all have been well trained and not a problem, it's posted that dogs are to be leashed at all times.

Generally speaking none of the user groups tend to like one another the motorcycles, don't like the jeep/atv guys and together they don't like the cyclists and the hikers don't like anyone because everything except shoes destroys the trail or so they think. Mtn bikers here do a lot to maintain the trails so we tend to get along with the hikers pretty well. If they are forced to spend some time together that usually helps relations.

Shortsocks
05-06-2015, 04:38 PM
Be careful, Al. When on the trail around WRL, the horses are seeing lots of cars/joggers/cyclists and are fairly placid. But, near the stables, they can get a little jumpy from folks bombing down the hill and running the stop sign (which is a bad idea, no matter if a horse is present).

Ah yes, you know exactly where I'm talking about! Ha! I've noticed that too, the hills hear the NorthEast point of WRL there are horse stables....I always wondered where these horses where coming from, I've also seen the DPD training/riding there in full uniform. Good call Trax,.

Tony
05-06-2015, 04:44 PM
Occasionally see both hiker and mtn bikes with dogs off their leash, thus far all have been well trained and not a problem, it's posted that dogs are to be leashed at all times.

I yield to everyone, especially horses. The problems I've faced is dogs off leash with mtb. Not just preventing an accident but seeing some of the dogs in distress.

bikinchris
05-06-2015, 06:31 PM
I would always yield to a horse. Getting kicked would be a bad life choice.

unterhausen
05-06-2015, 06:35 PM
dog walkers are the worst. On the trails around here, all dogs are off leash, and I've had a number of them go into an aggressive stance and even got bitten last year, fortunately without injury to me. Which probably means that it's good we have no trail horse riders in our area. On a nearby rail trail, there are signs that horses have to ride off of the trail and on the grass. Does my heart good, but also there is no way the trail could possibly support a horse.

William
05-06-2015, 06:37 PM
I would say upwards of 90% of the horse handlers/riders that ride in these parts are complete a-holes

That seemed to be the consensus of the commenters about the handler/rider in the video I posted. Lot of supposed horse owners thought he should have gotten off the horse and walk it passed the riders.

William

unterhausen
05-06-2015, 06:43 PM
wasn't the real problem that he was leading 3 horses and they were going nuts?

SlackMan
05-06-2015, 06:47 PM
Yep, here in Texas, we ride together on the same trails sometimes. And yep, I certainly yield to them. I don't want to have a rider thrown from the horse, nor do I want to be kicked by a horse. There's no question about yielding in my mind. And yes certainly...I do hate the poop!

farmersam
05-07-2015, 12:57 PM
On the GAP west of Frostburg, horses are allowed to ride on the grass, but not on the rail trail itself. Haven't had a problem myself, but I always say hi to the horse riders. Always local folks with some sensibility, though.

spiderman
05-07-2015, 08:41 PM
We're a little behind the times
With our current local signage
Which leads to some of the confusion cyclists
Have about right of way/yielding
Yet we do have the same steaming divot issues...
...I do Hate picking up Doberman dung
Amongst the horse scat...

bcgav
05-07-2015, 09:06 PM
I always verbally great the rider and slow while approaching to let both the rider and horse know I'm there, and then ask the rider if it's ok to ride past or if I should dismount and walk my bike past or stop and let them pass. Talking with the rider seems to calm most horses in my experience and in most cases I can ride by slowly if there is enough room.

bontie
05-09-2015, 10:15 AM
We have horses aplenty where I ride. Always slow down and be courteous. Interestingly, a rider/trainer once recommended we talk at conversational volume to each other as thats what horses are used to and calms them. Being quiet and at speed may startle them. Has worked alright somfar