PDA

View Full Version : What's your opinion of a reasonable amount to spend on a bike?

br995
05-05-2015, 04:05 PM
I've been thinking a lot lately about how my view of "reasonable" has changed over the years when it comes to bike costs.

My first adult bike was an old Dave Scott Centurion that I bought for $275 on ebay. I remember thinking at the time that it was an absurd amount of money to spend on a bicycle. Flash forward 6 months, and I was spending $500 on a wheelset. Flash forward 9 years, and I'm about to buy handlebars that cost almost as much as that first bike.

I'm at the point now where anything up to about $4,500 seems normal for a complete build, but beyond that I still think, "Wow, that's a lot of money for a bicycle."

What's your limit? What seems reasonable, if you were buying/building a new bike? What still strikes you as crazy? Why?

Louis
05-05-2015, 04:07 PM
It depends. ;)

old fat man
05-05-2015, 04:16 PM
I want a full suspension mountain bike. I used to have one as recently as 2011 (Ibis Mojo SL), but the thought of spending $3k+ to get something nice that I'd want to choose over my single speed just seems crazy. So I guess for me, $3k is the threshold.*

* I have plenty of nice bikes, but have always bought my parts used or at the best discounted prices I can find. I definitely have more than $3k worth of bikes though.

dave thompson
05-05-2015, 04:16 PM
It depends. ;)

^^THIS^^ First you have to define what's 'reasonable'. One man's trash...etc.

echelon_john
05-05-2015, 04:17 PM
~$4k-$4500 all in for a really nice bike (custom) seems reasonable to me in today's market.

That's kind of based on a ~2k frame with a nice fork, Chorus-level components and not extravagant cockpit & wheel choices.

Put another way, $5k doesn't seem UNreasonable when you add a few high-zoot parts. ENVE stem/post, for example.

My Holdsworth Professional with Super Record was under $1000 in 1983.

makoti
05-05-2015, 04:33 PM
How much ya got? That sounds reasonable.

endosch2
05-05-2015, 04:37 PM
I am thinking 6-7 k. Which includes nice wheels.

enr1co
05-05-2015, 04:38 PM
^^THIS^^ First you have to define what's 'reasonable'. One man's trash...etc.

With the lack of definition around "reasonable" and "a bike" it would be difficult for any forum member to provide a reasonable response to this thread ;)

ofcounsel
05-05-2015, 04:39 PM
Depends on the use.

For a mountain bike, I wouldn't hesitate to spend $7000+ for a good rig.

For a road bike, there's so little performance gain above the $2500 mark that I'd be hard pressed to spend more.

rnhood
05-05-2015, 04:39 PM
I think between $3k and $3.5K tends to mark the point of diminishing returns. You can get a very good fully equipped bike for this amount. But people have their preferences so in the end, I guess it depends.

jh_on_the_cape
05-05-2015, 04:45 PM
Depends on your budget and how much you ride and what you want out of a ride.
The price of a nice bike has gone up up up. The bikes are not the same, they are lighter with some new gadgets. That said, the price of funding an IRA, etc has not gone up up up. Inflation is not close to what people are willing to pay for a nice bike.
My personal idea is the IRS mileage rate of 50 cents a mile. Spend $4k on a bike and I don't expect to buy anything for about 8000 miles. That's before resale.
Personally, I don't see spending more than $2k on a bike. Just diminishing returns after that. I try to find something for $1.5k than another 500 to upgrade anything that actually bothers me while riding.
The one exception I am ready to make is to update my 2004 Turner 5 spot. New FS mtb are pricey but are actually much better. Not that much better than my old bike, the design of which seems to have survived, but it will eventually giveup the ghost and not worth rebuilding.

I think most people spend more than they should on a bike, given how much they ride and their personal financial situation. An aluminum framed bike with 105 group is about right for a serious rec rider. Anything beyond that is just because you like bike stuff. which is OK!

Bob Ross
05-05-2015, 04:50 PM
What's your limit?

I don't have one. There's no absolute dollar amount that, absent some sort of context, I would say "That's too much to spend on a bicycle." $5 is too much to spend on a bicycle if the bicycle won't last 10 minutes before disintegrating into dust while you're riding it. Conversely, $100,000 isn't too much to spend on a bicycle provided that A) you have a spare $100k available for recreational/health pursuits; and B) it provides more pleasure (or health benefits) than that $100k spent elsewhere could provide.

What seems reasonable, if you were buying/building a new bike?

Depends. See above.

What still strikes you as crazy? Why?

Spending any amount of money on a bike that doesn't fit strikes me as crazy.

oliver1850
05-05-2015, 05:00 PM
I still think $500 is reasonable. I can buy a (used) bike that will do anything I need for that. I've spent considerably more but put most of my miles on fairly inexpensive used bikes. Last year I put the most miles on a 1985 Cannondale touring. The year before it was a Trek 400 with a cheap SRAM 10 build. I've never exceeded $200 for a wheelset. I do identify with what you're saying about "normal" purchases though. When I started riding I used to buy Michelin Select 23s for $8, which was normal retail. I've become used to spending a little more for tires these days, sometimes as much as $20.

Mayhem
05-05-2015, 05:09 PM
I've blown so much money on bikes and parts I don't even want to think about it. Took me a long time to learn that money didn't affect my average mph. Now at 47 years old, @ $2000 and under is reasonable to me for a complete bike. I always buy stuff on sale or clearance. I bought a 2011 Focus Culebro w/ Ultegra 6700 for $1299, which was on clearance for 50% off.

Upgrades are:

Techlite Alloy 10spd 1400g wheelset $275 on clearance

Race Face Cadence alu stem/bars $19.99ea on clearance

Selle Italia SLI saddle (only real leather for me) $79.99 on sale

FSA Energy BB30 10spd standard cranks $125 on clearance

So aside from consumables, I have @ $1700 invested in a 16.5lb bike that rides sweet and has given me almost 7000 trouble free miles. Hopefully I'll get at least another 20,000 miles out of the frame. A $3000 frame, $200 carbon bars, $1000 wheels, ect would do absolutely nothing for me aside from posting cool pics on the internet haha. I have a 5 y/o grandson who is a future Greg LeMond so I'm going to start saving money for his bikes.

azrider
05-05-2015, 05:38 PM
For a road bike, there's so little performance gain above the $2500 mark that I'd be hard pressed to spend more.

Ditto

milkbaby
05-05-2015, 06:30 PM
I was really sweating when I bought a used bike for over $4k about three years ago. It was one of my "dream" bikes, still is my favorite ride, and I plan to ride it until it disintegrates.

If I were to buy another full road bike in the near future because all my other bikes disappeared, I guess I'd consider something in the range of $3000 to $3500. On the other hand, I'm sure I'd be perfectly fine with something around $1000 to $1500 if I'm being totally honest. I spent that much on my first road bike as an adult, and I'm still happily riding that bike, and it does everything I desire for the most part.

DarkStar
05-05-2015, 06:41 PM
3k or slightly more. Get the best frame possible, then toss on decent inexpensive/used parts. Goodrich with a mix of used Camp and Shimano gear cost 3.4K. A 2014 lynskey with 2004 Chorus group hit the 3K mark.

sworcester
05-05-2015, 06:46 PM
Totally dependent on discretionary income, income level and debt overhead.
I have bought 3 new bikes in the last 4 years at about $2k-$3k each. But I have also built up used bikes that are now some up to $8k replacement value. Take a $2k bike and put $2k wheels, and you have a $4k bike.

JeffS
05-05-2015, 06:56 PM
might as well just ask how large your bank account is

$2000 is my reasonable limit for me. Nothing I've bought over that amount has been worth the added cost. Keep in mind that in the last ten years, I've bought 30-40 bikes, and only two of them have been new.

For reference, my highest expenditures have been a $4k (used) Jet9 RDO with full enve and a ridiculously priced new SpeedVagen (before the prices really went up).

My anthem and TCR were both better (for me) bikes at a fraction of the cost.

Johnnyg
05-05-2015, 07:14 PM
The pleasure, life style, people one meets, events, health,etc.=pricelss Two Storcks and a Ridly cross are a bargain in my mind.

Seramount
05-05-2015, 07:34 PM
duh, depends on the amount of disposable income you have...

the dude working at McDonalds most likely has a different budget for a bike than some guy with a trust fund.

sworcester
05-05-2015, 07:39 PM
Might also add the width of "hobbies". I spend a hell of a lot on woodturning but have a business in it which equates to a % right off . So all relative

rounder
05-05-2015, 07:49 PM
Just to throw this out there. I bought two custom frames in the past few years where the total bike cost with new components was about $4,000 - $4,500 each. I shopped around and got good prices on the components and both projects were fun and turned out well.

You can go to the store and buy a bike off the shelf and be happy. But it is also fun to use your imagination and end up with something nice that you never saw before.

jh_on_the_cape
05-05-2015, 08:08 PM
This is a huge problem these days. Folks get all the bike they can afford, not all the bike that is reasonable.

I am in the same camp as many here: you get all you can afford until you realize that it's more than is reasonable, and you back off as far you think is right.

You can save your money, you don't have to spend every sent.

Some guy with lots of disposable income who rides a few times a year should spend less than the minimum wage guy who racks up huge mileage and works to ride.

duh, depends on the amount of disposable income you have...

the dude working at McDonalds most likely has a different budget for a bike than some guy with a trust fund.

grawk
05-05-2015, 08:10 PM
No amount is unreasonable, if you got a good deal on each part.

ojingoh
05-05-2015, 08:13 PM
Depends on your goals, your experience, your disposable income.

For me -- $500 for a used non-stolen craigslist bike. $1500 for a new shimano-equipped plastic or aluminum bike.

It reminds me of what George Carlin said about driving -- everyone driving slower than you is an idiot, everyone driving faster than you is a moron.

I can't imagine spending what some of our friends on this board spend on a bike, I think they're morons, to quote George. But they would consider what I spent for my bike, and the dramatic limitations I can somehow suffer through, as idiotic.

Fatty
05-05-2015, 08:22 PM
http://reviews.mtbr.com/sea-otter-scott-spark-700-ultimate-di2-ultimate-dt-swiss-fork

12.5K for a mountain bike?
But hey, if you the money kicking around, you sure can't take it with you.

buddybikes
05-05-2015, 08:29 PM
re: This is a huge problem these days. Folks get all the bike they can afford, not all the bike that is reasonable.

Why is this a huge problem? The high end supports good framebuilders that are making a living doing something they love. I have been riding since 1970, built a few frames, worked in a shop, met my wife riding.. and finally wanted a Firefly. Arthritis and diabetes is beating me bad, but I still get out for some miles every day and look down at the beautiful anodizing Tyler did. Should I feel guilty?

weisan
05-05-2015, 08:45 PM
It depends. ;)

I know a pal who is only willing to spend $149.99 on a Nashbar frame and nothing more. He then went on to build it up to become his main bike...that same pal also won't blink an eye when it comes to spending a couple of thousand dollars on boutique frames like De Rosa, Serotta etc. The only difference is he will keep those high zoot frames un-built and just sit around the house while he continue to ride the crap out of his nashbar bike, probably won't stop until that poor thing grinds down to metal dust... :rolleyes:

Louis
05-05-2015, 08:47 PM
I know a pal who is only willing to spend $149.99 on a Nashbar frame and nothing more.

That's a lie.

It was $125. (I think) ;)

DCW
05-05-2015, 08:49 PM
I just bought a bike for my wife; she insisted that we spend no more than $400. When I got her on a $400 bike at the LBS she was like "OK - that's a bike".

Then without showing her the price, I put her on an upscale version of the same bike that was several pounds lighter, carbon fork, better components, better wheelset, etc... and she immediately got a smile on her face and was having a good time. When i showed her the price ($1000)... she couldn't argue.

numbskull
05-05-2015, 09:03 PM
Even the most expensive bikes are cheap when balanced against many other common recreational purchases. Anyone who has owned even a small boat can attest to that.

SPOKE
05-05-2015, 09:32 PM
I'm very fortunate to have a nice job that pays an above average wage. It just so happens I really dig bikes......really nicely built custome ones. I have a nice collection. My rule is really pretty simple I buy a bike because I want to and can afford to do so. It's not complicated.

mg2ride
05-05-2015, 09:33 PM
I tend to consider cost per mile as opposed to just looking at cost.

ATMO, $0.25 per mile is a figure that I'm comfortable with.

Thus, if I want to own multiple bikes I have to get them second hand on the cheap.

However, dropping $10K would not be out of line for a lifetime bike even if I only rode a few k miles a year over 10-20 years.

Double my disposable income and I would have no problem increasing my threshold to $0.50 per mile.

jh_on_the_cape
05-05-2015, 09:35 PM
Even the most expensive bikes are cheap when balanced against many other common recreational purchases. Anyone who has owned even a small boat can attest to that.

slippery slope. everything is cheap compared to something else. like racing fighter jets.

notoriousdjw
05-05-2015, 09:49 PM
I find the 3-3.5k range reasonable for a nice bike but have built a couple for <2k by trolling craigslist and ebay. It doesn't really matter if you can afford it though. In my younger days I raced ratty japanese motorcycles and took pleasure in passing old guys on expensive Ducatis. Later I became the old guy on the Ducati and understood it from that perspective. If you have the money a nice bike is nice regardless of your skill/fitness level. If you don't you can enjoy the ride on any decent bike so there is no reason to stress.

makoti
05-05-2015, 10:55 PM
I tend to consider cost per mile as opposed to just looking at cost.

ATMO, $0.25 per mile is a figure that I'm comfortable with.

Thus, if I want to own multiple bikes I have to get them second hand on the cheap.

However, dropping $10K would not be out of line for a lifetime bike even if I only rode a few k miles a year over 10-20 years.

Double my disposable income and I would have no problem increasing my threshold to $0.50 per mile.

Another way to look at this is How long do you plan to keep it? If it's going to be around for years, then it starts to look a lot cheaper. If you're going to ride it this year & flip it for something new next, then almost anything is too expensive to me. One of my bikes is 14 years old. It was expensive then. The cost per mile for that bike has got to be pennies. Bargain.

GeorgeTSquirrel
05-05-2015, 11:07 PM
I define reasonable at about $1200... no bells, no whistles, not looking for weight savings... just durability and good performance. So, steel or aluminum with carbon fork and 105/Rival/Athena is my sweet spot. Add $500 for a carbon frame. Add a few hundred more and run Ultegra/Force/Chorus. Beyond that, I think it's just throwing money at the wind unless the frame is custom.

joosttx
05-05-2015, 11:20 PM
Something that doesn't put you in debit....

SoCalSteve
05-05-2015, 11:46 PM
I'm very fortunate to have a nice job that pays an above average wage. It just so happens I really dig bikes......really nicely built custome ones. I have a nice collection. My rule is really pretty simple I buy a bike because I want to and can afford to do so. It's not complicated.

I knew there was a reason I liked you!...:beer:

No kids, great career, small mortgage, no debt = nice bikes...:bike:

woodworker
05-06-2015, 12:21 AM
I knew there was a reason I liked you!...:beer:

No kids, great career, small mortgage, no debt = nice bikes...:bike:

Multiple kids, hard job, large mortgage(s), lots o debt = nice bikes.

mhespenheide
05-06-2015, 12:34 AM
A reasonable amount to spend on a bike?

About two hours a day, if possible. More on the weekends.

parris
05-06-2015, 12:46 AM
^this^ !

Jaq
05-06-2015, 01:28 AM
2% of your gross income.

donn12
05-06-2015, 05:48 AM
I think for a road bike $5,000 is the threshold for a nice bike. A $3,000 frame and $1,000 each for group set and wheels. You can certainly spend a lot more (I have) but I think you are just getting more fun fancy stuff with not a ton of performance improvements. My $3800 carbon synapse would be fine for almost all applications after if gets some decent wheels. My Dogma 65.1 with zipp wheels and Super Record EPS is much nicer and stiffer but I don't anticipate a major speed advantage for most normal rides.

Grant McLean
05-06-2015, 05:53 AM
Many people I know with expensive bikes are not wealthy,
it's just a high priority purchase. It's often the single most
expensive thing they own, certainly more than a car.

-g

oldpotatoe
05-06-2015, 06:41 AM
slippery slope. everything is cheap compared to something else. like racing fighter jets.

Actually air racing these is much more expensive than a jet..to fly or race.

The jets that are raced, aren't fighters...mostly trainers.

christian
05-06-2015, 07:03 AM
$2300 for a roadbike. (Because that's the most I've ever paid.) Ok, not really. Call it $2800 for a custom Hampsten frame, $1300 for a nice Campagnolo group, and $1000 for wheels..., so $5100?

$5500-6000 for a mountain bike, because I really, really, really want a Stumpjumper FSR Expert Carbon EVO 650b or Ibis Mojo HD3.

jlwdm
05-06-2015, 07:09 AM
Many people I know with expensive bikes are not wealthy,
it's just a high priority purchase. It's often the single most
expensive thing they own, certainly more than a car.

-g

Yes. I have a friend out of state in the audio business who has a couple of clients who are in to high end audio. Their systems cost more than their houses. $300,000 give or take.

Jeff

Ti Designs
05-06-2015, 07:28 AM
I'm what you would call a bad example here (and everywhere else too)

I work in the bike industry where most people ride the best stuff, and they get new bikes every year, every other year on the outside. I coach riders on the bike and put between 10K and 15K miles on my bikes. The bike I ride is certainly high quality, but it is a 10 year old Serotta with Dura-Ace 9-speed. It's not like the bike isn't priority spending for me, if something breaks on the bike it gets replaced (usually 10 minutes before the next ride), but I can't see myself buying a Di2 group...

deechee
05-06-2015, 09:03 AM
My limit is what I can afford to lose in a crash. I've smashed (and participated) in the destruction of a few bikes, wheels and parts that I know if I'm too worried about losing my bike/wheels, its not worth buying.

tuscanyswe
05-06-2015, 09:15 AM
I spend a lot on bikes. But i always consider what i get back when i sell it before i buy it. I could spend (what even i consider) ridicoulous amounts lets say that is 6k+ but i would only do that knowing i could get most of it back if i needed the money for something else.

Funny thing is ppl look at me like I'm an idiot for spending the amounts i do, yet i feel they are often the best buys i do in life (considering resale value and what i get out of them). Id never buy a 6k+ bike in a store at retail. Cant see my doing that even if i was rich tbh.

charliedid
05-06-2015, 09:20 AM
$2000

Anything more and it's because you want it, not need it.

weisan
05-06-2015, 09:21 AM
>50% off MSRP

Saint Vitus
05-06-2015, 09:26 AM
Depends on the use.

For a mountain bike, I wouldn't hesitate to spend $7000+ for a good rig.

Oy.

For me spending anything over $250 on a mtb would have little performance gain. Granted I don't care for off road and almost never ride the $100 mtb I own :p

benb
05-06-2015, 10:23 AM
The more money I (we, I'm married) the less I seem to spend on bikes.. Buying expensive bikes is definitely not directly correlated to income.

We make about 6x what I make when I bought my first road bike as an adult. My current bike cost a little bit less than my first one.

I had a couple around the $5k mark, they really weren't satisfying for what they cost. I actually bought one of those after I got married so it's not a married thing.

My current bike is a modest steel frame/fork combo.. I do kind of want a higher performance bike but I know I don't have to spend much to get there. I may do so at some point as I have most of the parts in hand, I just need a frame.

Personally I think expensive frames are one of the worst values.. the price differential is fairly large and the cost/performance/weight ratios are not as good as components. (E.x. DA is really, noticeably better than Tiagra or 105)

etu
05-06-2015, 11:17 AM
reasonable amount to spend on bike = (love/lust for bikes x disposable income)/financially responsible spouse :)

mktng
05-06-2015, 11:22 AM
for me . whatever you can afford is reasonable.

however....

i worked at a lbs for a year couple years back....and found out that alot of shops offer financing options for people who cant afford it on the spot....it wasnt advertised, but it was definitely available. (actually never thought about it, but it makes sense why that option exists)

that route would be a definite no no ! financing a bike or buying on credit would be the drawn line for me...why bother at that point.

oldpotatoe
05-06-2015, 11:23 AM
$2000

Anything more and it's because you want it, not need it.

Yup, it really is about lust, not need. 57cm Luigino with split fork crown fork, maybe with SR EPS...Ambrosio tubulars, ya know.

Mzilliox
05-06-2015, 11:33 AM

great answer, haha. Agreed!!!

hmmm, i limited myself this last time to $1500 on the used market for steel frame touring bike. i should get in around that cost. if i were in the new (er) market, probably 3k.

Seramount
05-06-2015, 12:01 PM
a really broad range of numbers being tossed around in this thread...$2K as a max? are we talking new or used, off-the-rack, custom...?

I built up a used titanium/carbon f/f I scored off ebay.

components: Ultegra 10, C24s, King, Thomson, carbon saddle and pedals. not horribly fancy, but it still cost almost $4.5K.

just because I can throw a leg over something and pedal it doesn't mean I'd consent to own it.

professerr
05-06-2015, 12:06 PM
Somewhere between $3-4K is the point of seriously diminishing returns for a complete bike.

You can certainly do well for a lot less than that if you pair a used frame with new consumables (i.e. groupset, wheels, etc.).

You can certainly get something nicer for more too, but then we're moving past "reasonable" and into something else.

professerr
05-06-2015, 12:15 PM
a really broad range of numbers being tossed around in this thread...$2K as a max? are we talking new or used, off-the-rack, custom...?

components: Ultegra 10, C24s, King, Thomson, carbon saddle and pedals. not horribly fancy, but it still cost almost $4.5K.

just because I can throw a leg over something and pedal it doesn't mean I'd consent to own it.

Used Time VXRS, virtually new: $900
New Ultegra 11 Groupset: $650
New C24s: $650
New Saddle, bars, stem, pedals, tires, etc misc: $500
Total Spend: $2700

OR

New Tarmac Expert, $3100 right now at Mikes Bikes.

eippo1
05-06-2015, 12:43 PM
My view of this is completely skewed since I work seasonally in a bike shop and tend to get my frames/ parts used anyway.

The issue is that I have an appreciation for quality and like to have quality. I also have patience, so I may spend $3K on a bike over time, but it may take me 2 years to spend the money for the parts to build it up. Part of the reason for the patience is having other bikes that I can happily ride. It's much easier to grow a collection while spending (a qualified) smaller amount when you already have that core group of bikes.

So I have a Bianchi 928L that I got off of here for around $500, with Zondas for $300 and Chorus for (spent over a year getting each part) maybe $650-700 and then finishing kit for another $200, bringing the total to under $2K for a first class, yet older bike. That gets many of my miles while I was able to build up my Salsa Warbird and now rebuild my Dean with new parts as well. The sold Della Santa funded most of the Dean's build though, so it's once again hard to quantify since older items get sold to pay for newer ones.

In the end I end up still spending money, but I will generally sell stuff to get to about 75% of the funding of what I buy.

A more interesting question for me would be how much have I spent vs. the replacement value of each bike. The 928L was the Oltre XR.1 of 2008, so a replacement might be assumed to be $4999 msrp. http://www.bianchiusa.com/bikes/road/born-for-performance/oltre-xr1-chorus-compact/

benb
05-06-2015, 02:37 PM
i worked at a lbs for a year couple years back....and found out that alot of shops offer financing options for people who cant afford it on the spot....it wasnt advertised, but it was definitely available. (actually never thought about it, but it makes sense why that option exists)

that route would be a definite no no ! financing a bike or buying on credit would be the drawn line for me...why bother at that point.

It's all how you use it.. I sold my bike at the beginning of 2007 knowing I was going to get a new one for the season. I got hit with a big tax bill in April, and I ended up financing my new bike on one of those 6 month/0 interest deals that was Trek Finance cough cough GE Finance, etc.. I paid it off in a few months so no interest, no harm done to my credit.

If I was buying a $5000 bike tomorrow I'd put it on my Amazon credit card in a heart beat and pay the bill in fully when it came. I'd get a $50 credit for doing so.. if I could buy such bike from Amazon I'd get $150 back. I did this with a new water heater & a big medical bill earlier this spring for almost that much money. :)

wallymann
05-06-2015, 03:51 PM
that's why i always buy pre-owned stuff. of course, i have 2 handfuls of bikes, so i make up for the cost-avoidance in volume! but i do get alot of variety for a given $$$ out-of-pocket.

fogrider
05-06-2015, 04:10 PM
for me, I'm currently in no position to spend anything on a bike. but I have currently have 4 road bikes and a cross bike, a mountain bike, and a track bike. I also have a kid looking to go to college next year and another one in three. and I pretty much really like my bikes, so its just maintaining what I have. But if it all went away and I have to buy a bike, $2K should be able to get something nice in the secondary market.

HenryA
05-06-2015, 08:14 PM
I have a slightly different take on bike ownership and costs, and that is: Within your available purchasing power, you should buy the bike that makes you completely happy to ride. I do not collect bikes, and have never owned more than three at one time. I may accumulate some other things but not bikes. I have one great road bike and one great MTB. Replacement cost on either of my current rides would be quite high. And I am completely happy with them. Happy every time I swing my leg over either bike. Happy as in not really wanting anything else. I'll probably ride them into the ground before I buy another. And enjoy every minute of it.

choke
05-06-2015, 08:30 PM
For me spending anything over $250 on a mtb would have little performance gain.Heh...I was thinking the same thing.

NHAero
05-06-2015, 08:45 PM
Doesn't the answer depend a lot on whether the bike has a custom or stock frame? I spent three times as much on my custom frame from Dave Anderson as I did on the used Serotta Concours Ti that it replaced. But it fits me. So my answer is $2-3K stock or $3-5K custom.

What about MTBs makes it so that the threshold is so much higher, in the posts that speak to the comparison between new road and new MTB? I'm not a hard charger on the trails so riding a used Litespeed with the YBB rear seems pretty nice to me.

PS: $343 in 1972 for a custom Bob Jackson built up with mixed new equipment - Campy hubs, Suntour shifters and derailleurs, Mafac brakes, Cinelli bars and stem, Brooks Pro and Campy seatpost. It was a boatload of $$ for an 18 yr old. Rode it 10 miles to the library and back Saturday, it wears the fenders and rack and pedals with clips. Figure I got my money's worth per mile...

charliedid
05-06-2015, 08:52 PM

No not max by any means. I'm just saying if you spend around $2000 you get a perfectly good bike. I sell bikes for a living and $2K has been the sweet spot for a while now. Lot's of good stuff out there.

Road,Cross,MTB,Gravel etc. you can spend $2K and get a super solid bike. That seems reasonable given how much you can spend these days.

FWIW none of the bike I currently ride are less than $2K

charliedid
05-06-2015, 08:53 PM
Yup, it really is about lust, not need. 57cm Luigino with split fork crown fork, maybe with SR EPS...Ambrosio tubulars, ya know.

:-)

jh_on_the_cape
05-06-2015, 09:03 PM
Try a modern high quality full suspension bike. the geo is different (no over the bars feeling), the suspension feels great up and down hill and will weigh about the same as your bike.

just try one out. I have tried friends bikes and done rentals on vacations.

That said, I have not ridden a high zoot road bike in ages.

What about MTBs makes it so that the threshold is so much higher, in the posts that speak to the comparison between new road and new MTB? I'm not a hard charger on the trails so riding a used Litespeed with the YBB rear seems pretty nice to me.

Ozrider
05-06-2015, 09:42 PM
I'm with @HenryA on this. I have a Parlee Z5 that I love, I have upgraded wheels and group set in the 5 years I have had the bike, and replacement would be about AUD $12 000.
I have just transferred the running gear (DA 7800 and hand built wheels on CK hubs) off a custom steel frame that was damaged to a new custom steel frame, and I race on a Madone 5.9 that I got a team discount on.
3 bikes seems to be a comfortable number, I was up to 5 at a stage but maintenance and storage became too much of a hassle.
For me $4000-5000 is the limit on a training / crit bike, but for long distance events and just pure enjoyment of riding something like a Parlee or custom steel is awesome.
When I was younger it was quite an achievement to buy a 105 equipped bike (prob about $2000 these days) and I was able to race and keep up on group rides with guys on bikes costing 5 times as much.
My son now has a Domane 4.2 with 105 which rides pretty well, but is quite heavy. A perfectly functional machine, but riding it just doesn't have that feel of a lighter frame. 105 shifts well, but nowhere near as smooth as DA.

It all depends on how much spare cash you have and how much you enjoy riding.
Would rather spend $15 000 on a custom bicycle than buy a motorcycle, other people wouldn't spend more than $500 on a bicycle. It is all a matter of what gives you the most enjoyment.

makoti
05-06-2015, 09:51 PM
Would rather spend $15 000 on a custom bicycle than buy a motorcycle, other people wouldn't spend more than $500 on a bicycle. It is all a matter of what gives you the most enjoyment.

^This. What I spent for my last bike makes most peoples' eyes glaze over. And I don't regret it.

oldpotatoe
05-07-2015, 06:44 AM

Really? Less than $15,000..Sorry, don't get why a bicycle is $15,000 when this is....less.....Like $3000 less.

http://www.ducatiusa.com/bikes/monster_821_preview/index.do

mg2ride
05-07-2015, 07:03 AM
Really? Less than $15,000..Sorry, don't get why a bicycle is $15,000 when this is....less.....Like $3000 less.

http://www.ducatiusa.com/bikes/monster_821_preview/index.do

True that! Just when I start thinking 7K or so is almost reasonable for a bicycle I realize what kind of motorized vehicle you can get in that range.

Changes perspective!

fuzzalow
05-07-2015, 07:18 AM
This thread feels more like a Greek celebration where everyone is throwing their plate on the floor. There's no right answer, there is no rhyme or reason, there are just broken plates strewn all around the floor!

These days, the modern mass produced bike from a big-box-bike-manufacturer is a very good, fully functional and fully competent machine that is not throwaway junk. I'd guess $2,000 would be all the budget necessary to get a bike of this category.

For a cycling aficionado there is no target budget only target wants - therefore spend whatever is required to satisfy that current obsession. I have never bought a used/previously-owned bike. I am the sucker that my grizzly old friend in sales admonishes to "NEVER pay retail" but I still buy new anyway although not always at retail. But sometimes at retail enough times to qualify as a sucker.:rolleyes: hadta have it, whaddaya gonna do?

Fishy1923
05-07-2015, 07:21 AM
I'm in the same camp that there are diminishing returns after the $3-4K range, in terms of a race bike, anyways. Also believe you need to buy what will make you happy. If you have the money, there isn't anything wrong with paying an absurd amount as it is your hobby. just think how much you'd be spending if you were into boating...

Lewis Moon
05-07-2015, 07:26 AM
As little as you can to get what you want. That's my philosophy. If I were rich I'd own a Firefly in full SR Campy.
I'm not.

macaroon
05-07-2015, 08:00 AM
It really depends. I've never bought an "off the shelf" bike and I don't think I'd ever entertain spending any money on one since I like what I like in terms of components and prefer to build my own bike. I don't mind spending money on parts, but I'd never buy any "blingy" kit; I just like to buy solid dependable stuff.

My current road bike cost about £600; almost all of it was built up from used parts. That how I usually like to do things. It rides well and is nice and reliable.

I'm currently waiting on a custom disc braked frame; the total build will be somewhere in the region of £1700 I'd have thought; which is way more than I've ever spent on a bike before. I hope it'll last for many years.

In terms of mountain bikes; I'd struggle to spend more than £1k, and I certainly don't think I'd buy new. They usually don't last very long so I tend not to invest much money in them.

For me, I don't mind spending on road bikes. They last forever and you get tens of thousands of miles out of them. Whereas I mountain bike, I may only ride it three times a month.

Joachim
05-07-2015, 08:07 AM
Someone recently showed me a picture of an Asian tig welded frame and said that only cost $x amount complete with wheels and Ultegra so he doesn't get the pricing I paid for a new Kirk JKS X.... (Complete bike was less than JKS x frame price). It's hard when people can't see beyond a number but then again, what's important to me might not be important to them.

echelon_john
05-07-2015, 08:18 AM
It's kind of like asking what a reasonable price is for a shotgun. A Remington 870 will do just fine for $300, but $2500, $5000, $10000 and WAY up are common for nice guns.

OtayBW
05-07-2015, 08:51 AM
How long is a piece of string?.........:rolleyes:

malcolm
05-07-2015, 08:52 AM
didn't bother to read the thread but my answer is easy. What ever you are comfortable with and can afford. End of discussion, nobody's business but your own.

br995
05-07-2015, 10:06 AM
t bother to read the thread but my answer is easy. What ever you are comfortable with and can afford. End of discussion, nobody's business but your own.
That's not the end of the discussion, though. I started the thread not really to talk about what your actual $$ limit is, but why is that your limit? How has it changed? Does anything shock you anymore? Do you find what most people spend on bikes to be outrageous?

Basically, where is your mindset with regards to spending (your personal) top dollar on bikes, and why. I think we've had a great discussion going so far.

Oh, and for the record... turns out the new handlebars ended up costing more than that first road bike...

makoti
05-07-2015, 11:00 AM
I started the thread not really to talk about what your actual $$ limit is, but why is that your limit?

That's a different question. I'm willing to spend stupid amounts of money on my bike because nothing else gives the the amount of pleasure that it does. I only have small-builder bikes because I really enjoy the process of discussing the bike build, what I want it to do, getting personal feedback from the builder with his thoughts about how to get all of that. I buy the cheapest toaster I can find because I don't care about them. It toasts my bread. I'm happy. It stops, I toss it without a thought.
I know the name of & spoken with the persons who built every road bike & set of wheels for them I own. Worth extra money? Maybe not to anyone else, but I think so.

malcolm
05-07-2015, 11:16 AM
That's not the end of the discussion, though. I started the thread not really to talk about what your actual $$ limit is, but why is that your limit? How has it changed? Does anything shock you anymore? Do you find what most people spend on bikes to be outrageous?

Basically, where is your mindset with regards to spending (your personal) top dollar on bikes, and why. I think we've had a great discussion going so far.

Oh, and for the record... turns out the new handlebars ended up costing more than that first road bike...

I still don't see how any of that matters. If it's something you enjoy spend what you feel comfortable with. It's a question that can only be answered by the individual and the answer should have no effect on you. But I do understand curiosity.

My most recent purchase a Kish Ti 650b mountain bike I suspect was over 5k and maybe approaching 7. I bought it in increments, paid for the frame, then sometime later the build kit, then the wheels. I never really never stopped and added it up, cause I didn't care. I got what I wanted they way I wanted it.

It's way more bike than I really need given my modest ability, but it's really the only place I'm that extravagant. I'm fortunate that I can afford the luxury. I would never borrow the money to buy a bike.

Like many folks when I was young and had some semblance of a motor I couldn't afford the bike. I did max out a credit card while in school to buy my first new bike as an adult, a centurion prestige with shimano 600, still have it in the trainer. It took me several years to pay off. With interest I probably paid several thousand for a $700 bike

SoCalSteve
05-07-2015, 12:01 PM
That's a different question. I'm willing to spend stupid amounts of money on my bike because nothing else gives the the amount of pleasure that it does. I only have small-builder bikes because I really enjoy the process of discussing the bike build, what I want it to do, getting personal feedback from the builder with his thoughts about how to get all of that. I buy the cheapest toaster I can find because I don't care about them. It toasts my bread. I'm happy. It stops, I toss it without a thought.
I know the name of & spoken with the persons who built every road bike & set of wheels for them I own. Worth extra money? Maybe not to anyone else, but I think so.

I like your style!!!...:beer:

Jaq
05-07-2015, 01:11 PM
Wasn't there something in the news a few weeks back about some guy who won a huge golf tourney, and afterwards the pundits all remarked that his clubs were worth 50 bucks?

Years & years (& years) ago, I bought myself a "grail bike;" today, it would run close to 10k. Ironically, when I got it, I stopped racing (time, kids, work, etc.). I used to joke (and inwardly groan) about the cost per ride. But I've had it now for 20 years, and the last ten have seen a huge resurgence in my riding, and the bike's weathered all that flawlessly. Contrast that to my Fuji Feather SS I bought a year ago for 250 bucks. The thing's been an absolute blast. So I'd have to say that those two bikes were the best 10k and best .25k I ever spent.

Ride what makes you happy; nothing else matters.

paredown
05-07-2015, 02:14 PM
The largest single purchase I had made in my young life was to purchase my Falcon San Remo team replica to go racing in 1971. It listed for around $500 Cdn--I got it at cost for around $350. (I was working for $2 and change/hour.)

Inflation adjusted, that $500 would be around $3100--today that would buy you something close to a Fuji Altimara 2.1, which would be a fine tool for racing...

Post-recession, I have been bolting together older less well known frames, although I lust after some of the really good stuff.

I have to say though, even if our situation improves dramatically, I doubt I would be able to spend much more than around $3500 all in. The good news is that there are lots of choices both in the bargain bin and in mid-tier.

rugbysecondrow
05-07-2015, 02:18 PM
Whatever you can pay cash for, and not cause an argument with your wife (spouse).

d_douglas
05-07-2015, 06:22 PM
I would say $3000 would buy as much bike as I could possibly need. That said, I now a couple of bikes that are 2X that value.

I bought a Speedvagen 5 years ago and (of course) paid Sacha's price for the frameset, but I pieced together the parts on the internet and it came to about $7000. Crazy. If I had just asked my LBS to procure the parts, it would've tacked $2000 onto the price.

I bought the bike when I got paid alot more money and did not have kids. I agreed to the purchase with Sacha (and my sweet lady) and then she told me she was pregnant and I almost considered begging Sacha to cancel the order.

I am glad I didn't and my wife is happy to see me riding a bike that I love. I cannot see buying another for years now, if at all. I would love to (a Crumpton, please!), but I am ok with not doing it, priorities n all.

But yeah, it is all about lust after a certain point. A Marinoni with 5800 parts for $3000, and I'd be set.

makoti
05-07-2015, 06:52 PM
[QUOTE=d_douglas;1753098
I would love to (a Crumpton, please!)[/QUOTE]

Trust me, you'd like that. :banana:

GParkes
05-07-2015, 08:29 PM
I recently took delivery of a Kirk custom (the assymetric lugged Dave posted pics of). Someone asked me how much it cost......I told them 50 years and a marriage. Is that too much?

SlackMan
05-07-2015, 09:20 PM
I don't have a specific number, but I'll share the way I think about it. For me, life is all about trade offs. A few years ago, I needed to buy a car. My thought process was as follows. Like many of my friends with a similar income as mine, I could by a $50,000 car. Or, I could buy a $25,000 car and then spend $25,000 on bikes. Viewed this way, even if I were to buy a $25,000 bike(s), my total out of pocket expense would the same as if I had just followed the norm so the expensive bike(s) wouldn't crimp me financially. In that sense, even a $25,000 bike is not "unreasonable." I know that one has to be willing to drive the cheaper car to make this example work, but as I said, I view life as just a bunch of trade offs.

JAGI410
05-07-2015, 09:32 PM

I love this answer.

I think $3k would be my limit. But if it was a lifetime bike, and I really could spend 2 hours a day on it, $3k seems cheap!

stefus_prime
05-10-2015, 03:47 PM
I would say around 2 weeks pay would be the most I'd spend....but I sort of broke that rule with my latest build haha

GeorgeTSquirrel
05-12-2015, 01:28 PM

Right...

Granted, we represent a special kind of bike nerd around these parts... but all the little carbon bits, the King bling, the Thomson... all fall under the want not need category.

If I wanted all the nice customized parts, they would go on a used frame. That would still leave me in the $2k-$2.5k area. If I bought a new bike, I could have something nice with second shelf parts for the same price range (and upgrade the components down the road on an as-needed basis).

I stand by my $2k. I think you guys spending near $5k are nuts. But then, it's all relative. I want multiple bikes, and I want money left over to spend on musical instruments. We all have our budgets. I guess $5k isn't bad for someone that focuses most of their time and energy on cycling. Maybe there is no answer, because it varies so much from one person to another.

I'm budget minded, always looking for NOS parts and OEM. I don't pay any attention to what's new and novel.

noshaver
05-19-2015, 03:17 PM
I've always gone by the rule of buying the best bike you can afford at the time. Case in point. I had a friend I introduced to cycling 10 years ago. He wanted to buy a POS bike, a cruiser for all intent and purpose. I finally persuaded him to by a real bike, and then I asked, "What about shorts, shoes?". He looked at me like I has 10 heads. Didn't want to go with bibs, just tee shirt, shorts. Four months later he's looking at upgrading everything. It didn't take too long for him to catch the 'bug'. Looking back he would have done it differently, but we've all been there.

arcpolo
05-19-2015, 04:06 PM
Used bike us the way to go

Michael Maddox
05-19-2015, 04:17 PM
I am staying OUT of this conversation. OUT OUT OUT OUT OUT

Love you guys!

jlwdm
05-19-2015, 06:55 PM
Right...

I stand by my $2k. I think you guys spending near $5k are nuts. But then, it's all relative. I want multiple bikes, and I want money left over to spend on musical instruments. We all have our budgets. I guess $5k isn't bad for someone that focuses most of their time and energy on cycling. Maybe there is no answer, because it varies so much from one person to another.

I like to purchase things that I really like and I will keep them for a long time. I don't mind paying more for these items. I hate spending any amount of money on something I do not really enjoy or do not end up using.

I ordered my first custom bike from Serotta in June of 2007 and purchased Campagnolo record and other components through the bike shop. The price hit $10,000 which seems like a lot.

On the other hand in close to 8 years I have not thought once about getting rid of the bike. To me this is a great value. I have longer legs and a shorter torso, and it has been wonderful to have a bike that fits. And a bike that I always enjoy riding.

On this forum I won a Spectrum Ti about 5 years ago. It is hard to say this is a bad purchase ($40), but I have it in the Seattle area where I have lots of family and have only ridden it 50 miles. Not good. It is a road bike built for fenders and wide tires.

I purchased most of the components for the Spectrum used and it was a frustrating experience for me. I guess I just do not enjoy the process of hunting down the components. If I had spent the time it took acquiring the components working instead I could have made much more money than I saved buying used.

To me it is not always about the total cost of the bike. My time is also important.

Jeff

jh_on_the_cape
05-19-2015, 09:33 PM
I purchased most of the components for the Spectrum used and it was a frustrating experience for me. I guess I just do not enjoy the process of hunting down the components. If I had spent the time it took acquiring the components working instead I could have made much more money than I saved buying used.

To me it is not always about the total cost of the bike. My time is also important.

Jeff

Totally agree with this. For this reason when I shop for a used bike I wait patiently until I find one that is just how I would set it up and well kept. Then I am willing to pay a fair price and not hound for a deal. In the past I have jumped on a great deal just to find myself spending time and money to get the bike how I want it.
I used to enjoy combing for... and finding great deals. I no longer have the time, as evidenced by some bike parts that were a great deal that I really didn't need... and they end up not making it onto my bike.

Tharmor
05-19-2015, 10:16 PM
The safest way to justify the cost of your road bike is to rationalize how much riding you plan to do, whether for health reason, or just for the love. If you ride 10,000 miles a year, why not spend up to $10,000? If you got it and you ride that much, then treat yourself to something that will make you want to do more miles. But if you don't ride that much - I'd feel sorry for that bike.

pbarry
05-19-2015, 10:28 PM
I would say $3000 would buy as much bike as I could possibly need. That said, I now a couple of bikes that are 2X that value.

I bought a Speedvagen 5 years ago and (of course) paid Sacha's price for the frameset, but I pieced together the parts on the internet and it came to about $7000. Crazy. If I had just asked my LBS to procure the parts, it would've tacked $2000 onto the price.

I bought the bike when I got paid alot more money and did not have kids. I agreed to the purchase with Sacha (and my sweet lady) and then she told me she was pregnant and I almost considered begging Sacha to cancel the order.

I am glad I didn't and my wife is happy to see me riding a bike that I love. I cannot see buying another for years now, if at all. I would love to (a Crumpton, please!), but I am ok with not doing it, priorities n all.

But yeah, it is all about lust after a certain point. A Marinoni with 5800 parts for $3000, and I'd be set.

Excellent priorities above. You've got a good one by your side. Cheers

KidWok
05-20-2015, 12:41 AM
Hahaha...we're just splitting hairs here...what's the difference between someone with one solid $1500 bike or one $10,000 bike or a bike collection worth way more than that? To an outsider, we're ALL nuts!

Tai

weisan
05-20-2015, 05:27 AM
>To an outsider, we're ALL nuts!

Tai pal is right!

shamsixnine
05-20-2015, 08:53 AM
If you spend $10,000, that's relatively cheap if you consider that it will excite you and motivate you to exercise and spend lots of time in there outdoors. Because considering how healthy you'll be from all the workout and fresh air you'll get, you will easily save ten-fold for being in superior health. Spend as much as you can afford for a dream bike, and use it in good health.

commonguy001
05-20-2015, 10:19 AM
Hahaha...we're just splitting hairs here...what's the difference between someone with one solid $1500 bike or one $10,000 bike or a bike collection worth way more than that? To an outsider, we're ALL nuts!

Tai

>To an outsider, we're ALL nuts!

Tai pal is right!

Have to agree with both KidWok and Weisan

It's all about priorities, I have coworkers who think nothing of dropping 500 at the casino on a Friday but would think spending even 1000 on a bicycle is insane.

I'm really OK with being the guy that when talking about our weekends doesn't mention gambling, bars or whatever TV show is hot but does drop the occasional 'I rode my bike for 8 hours on Saturday' comment.

Regarding the original question - I'd say < 3000 is quite reasonable, < 5000 is doable and anything in that 5-10k range should be really nice. My wife has known me long enough to know that I like nice stuff so none of it surprises her in the least.

Pastashop
05-20-2015, 12:26 PM
Up to whatever amount you can afford to replace without too much pain. :-)