PDA

View Full Version : Bike riding in Quebec City and/or PEI

sweet_johnny
05-05-2015, 02:16 PM
I'm in the planning stages of an Airbnb 1.5 week vacation in July. We've narrowed it down to either Quebec City or Prince Edward Island. I will bring my bike to either place to get some riding in.

I'm looking for some input from the forumites. Feel free to answer any/all questions:

1. What's the riding like/where's the best place to ride around QC?
2. What's the riding like/where's the best place to ride around PEI?
3. Where's the best place to stay in QC as a home base for walking/exploring?
4.Is there enough to do/see in PEI that we (me, wife, and friends) won't get bored?
5. Wildcard...

staggerwing
05-05-2015, 02:56 PM
Can't tell you a thing about Quebec City. However, for our honeymoon, way back in '88, the missus and I took a trip around Nova Scotia, with a side trip to PEI. Looking back, the PEI portion was simply OK. On the other hand, we both wished we would have spent more time in the Cape Breton Highlands region of Nova Scotia.

Although, from a cycling standpoint, PEI is much flatter than Cape Breton.

I don't know how much it has changed, but back then, there were plenty of B&B options. At that time, they were a little less of the Victorian fantasy variety than American B&B's, and priced more reasonably too.

Addition: Look up cycling the Cabot Trail. Might have to add to the bucket list.

endosch2
05-05-2015, 04:33 PM
You can pretty much be anywhere and do great riding on PEI. Stay off the main roads and every other road is great. Pei is 85 percent farms and the farmers dont drive around too much. Stay away from cavendish.

pdonk
05-05-2015, 07:14 PM
1. What's the riding like/where's the best place to ride around QC?
2. What's the riding like/where's the best place to ride around PEI?
3. Where's the best place to stay in QC as a home base for walking/exploring?
4.Is there enough to do/see in PEI that we (me, wife, and friends) won't get bored?
5. Wildcard...

1) QC riding can be hilly or flat. If you ride along the river it is flat, turn inland and you go up. Canadian nationals did and the protour race does a real nice lap through the old city and area. From driving through the area rural riding looks good.

2) PEI - hate the place, red mud gets into everything. For riding as stated before nice rolling hills everywhere.

3) For QC I'd stay in the old city as a home base. Historic area, lots of bars and restaurants.

4) Caution - charlottetown closes down EARLY. better like eating by 7 or you may not get dinner. The beaches on the north west coast are nice. You can be anywhere in less pretty much than 1hr.

5) For PEI the wildcard is the drive from either NB or NS. Both have really good riding. In moncton is a track, plus the ride to hillsborough is great. Another great riding spot in NS is the annapolis valley.

For QC a trip to mte ste anne for golf/mtb and hiking is good. I've been to the world cup/ world championships there at least 15 times.

Black Dog
05-05-2015, 07:27 PM
I grew up in New Brunswick looking across the north humberland straight at PEI. The riding on PEI is great. We have friends with a cottage on the island and when we spend time there I bring my bike and love the riding. The roads are in good shape, quiet, and the shoulders are nice smooth grass. The terrain is rolling with great views and the coastal roads are very scenic. Drivers are very very nice if they are local, tourist drivers are a mixed bag but they will mostly be on main routes. As for QC it is a great city and the riding is good but you will have to get out of town to get some nice quiet roads. Much more hilly than PEI and the drivers are great with cyclists as they are in most of Quebec (having lived in the province for a couple of years). Both will be fine for riding in different ways and the cultural experience will also be different in both places. The locals in both places are very nice. Even if you don't speak French or PEI English :). If you go to PEI and are coming up from Main the you have to ride along the Bay of Fundy starting from Fundy National Park heading north. Big climbs and amazing scenery, just amazing.

herb5998
05-05-2015, 08:12 PM
Although it's small, Ile D'Orleans is not far from QC and beautiful riding, you can even stop by all the small farms and eat/nibble your way around it. The roads through QC are flat or steep, but some great challenges. Was able to watch GP Quebec last year, great course and race.