PDA

View Full Version : Check your seatposts, folks!

slowgoing
05-05-2015, 05:44 AM
Crack near saddle mounting screws. I actually sold this to a forum member in response to his WTB ad, thinking this low use post was in good shape. Disaster averted by his close inspection. Good job Formulasaab.

Check your seatposts near the saddle screws, folks. Some seatposts have torque limits (I guess you need a mini torque wrench to install your seatposts, who knew?).

El Chaba
05-05-2015, 06:27 AM
That could be a really disastrous failure. Ouch...good catch...

peanutgallery
05-05-2015, 06:32 AM
Hmmm, always considered those to be robust? Will have to check my rigs, thanks

Cicli
05-05-2015, 06:45 AM
Don't overtorque. Good catch.

Tony T
05-05-2015, 06:56 AM
Some seatposts have torque limits (I guess you need a mini torque wrench to install your seatposts, who knew?).

Most (all?) modern seat posts have torque settings. 5.1Nm for the masterpiece.
This is a good torque wrench, pre-set at 5Nm: Ritchey TorqKey (http://www.amazon.com/Ritchey-TorqKey-5Nm-bits-T-15/dp/B009F93S9C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1430826946&sr=8-1&keywords=ritchey+torque+wrench)

soulspinner
05-05-2015, 01:43 PM
Most (all?) modern seat posts have torque settings. 5.1Nm for the masterpiece.
This is a good torque wrench, pre-set at 5Nm: Ritchey TorqKey (http://www.amazon.com/Ritchey-TorqKey-5Nm-bits-T-15/dp/B009F93S9C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1430826946&sr=8-1&keywords=ritchey+torque+wrench)

I use the TorqKey . No overtorques and no cracks.

Louis
05-05-2015, 02:24 PM
That's a fairly common failure on Thomson posts. Most likely due to over-torquing.

Ken Robb
05-05-2015, 02:40 PM
I think it sometimes happens when we get the tilt ALMOST perfect and tighten one side just a TINY bit more without loosening the other side. OOPSIE!

slowgoing
05-05-2015, 02:42 PM
I assume it is an overtorque.

So other than Thompson, the only other seatposts I use are Campy with the one saddle bolt design. I have never heard of them being overtorqued and failing at the saddle bolt. Has anyone else?

likebikes
05-05-2015, 02:44 PM
That's a fairly common failure on Thomson posts. Most likely due to over-torquing.
more like cnc parts shortcomings.

Fatty
05-05-2015, 08:50 PM
That's a Masterpiece, built a bit lighter.
Never saw one of Thomson's posts fail in the motley crew that I ride with.
Good thing is Thomson will probably take care of you.

Louis
05-05-2015, 08:53 PM
more like cnc parts shortcomings.

I got the exact same failure on my non-Masterpiece post.

I now use a torque wrench on the two clamp bolts.

If any of the posts that fail like that were done without using a torque wrench I'd say the chances are very good that it was due to operator error.

Ken Robb
05-05-2015, 10:00 PM
I got the exact same failure on my non-Masterpiece post.

I now use a torque wrench on the two clamp bolts.

If any of the posts that fail like that were done without using a torque wrench I'd say the chances are very good that it was due to operator error.

Yeah, but everything feels SO GOOD--right up until it doesn't. :)

Louis
05-05-2015, 10:03 PM
Yeah, but everything feels SO GOOD--right up until it doesn't. :)

Mine failed at the start of a ride as I was turning from my driveway into the street. At least it had the decency to do it then, rather than an hour later.

Tony
05-05-2015, 10:07 PM
Surprise Formulasaab!
To avoid creating an inconvenience for buyers it would be nice if sellers would closely check the item before shipping. Cleaning/detailing the item would help find fractures like above. This had happened to me twice, very inconvenient.

Waldo
05-06-2015, 12:22 PM
Mine failed at the start of a ride as I was turning from my driveway into the street. At least it had the decency to do it then, rather than an hour later.

A friend rode standing for over an hour after his post failed at the cradle. No injuries, but very sore legs next day from all that standing.

mktng
05-06-2015, 12:31 PM
:eek::eek: Gotta go home and check now. I dont use a torque wrench, but i know the seatpost is one area i've always been a bit more giving to the tightness of the bolts due to several past posts slipping on me.

slowgoing
05-06-2015, 12:36 PM
Surprise Formulasaab!
To avoid creating an inconvenience for buyers it would be nice if sellers would closely check the item before shipping. Cleaning/detailing the item would help find fractures like above. This had happened to me twice, very inconvenient.

Tony, Tony...

You have to know what you're looking for. Before seeing these pics from Forumlasaab, I had never seen a seatpost cracked at the seat bolts. I did check the post for cracks where the frame binder bolt may have damaged it but that was fine.

I posted the pics so people like me know what to look for and start using torque wrenches on these posts. Knowing what I know now, I would be hesitant to buy one of these posts used from anyone unless they bought it new and always used a torque wrench.

mktng
05-06-2015, 12:38 PM
i've personally never seen a cracked thomson post. could the masterpiece model be more prone to cracking due to the extra material being removed to shed weight?

Tony
05-06-2015, 01:46 PM
Tony, Tony...

You have to know what you're looking for. Before seeing these pics from Forumlasaab, I had never seen a seatpost cracked at the seat bolts. I did check the post for cracks where the frame binder bolt may have damaged it but that was fine.

I posted the pics so people like me know what to look for and start using torque wrenches on these posts. Knowing what I know now, I would be hesitant to buy one of these posts used from anyone unless they bought it new and always used a torque wrench.

slowgoing, I understand that you've never seen a seatpost crack in this manner, and I'm sure you looked it over before shipping it out.

My point is that a seller should check an item closely before sending it out. Forumlasaab found it, most likely he has not seen a Thompson fail in this way. I'm glad you shared the pictures and advocate the use of torque wrenches. The pictures can also be used to warn sellers to look over the item/items before shipping.

Nags&Ducs
05-06-2015, 05:20 PM
I have Thomsen Elites on several bikes for many years and never had a problem. I've heard of problems with their Masterpiece but never saw pictures until now. Good to know what to look for in both their posts. But I have no desire to mess around with a Masterpiece post.

Likes2ridefar
05-06-2015, 05:29 PM
My parlee seatpost has a carbon clamp on top of the rails, and I cracked it last time while tightening it.

It happened way below the recommended torque. They were aware of it happening and sent me a new, improved piece last fall but I still havent replaced the cracked one.

It'll probably give at any moment. I'm trying to make it to Friday when I receive a test saddle to mount...:eek:

Seramount
05-06-2015, 08:00 PM
just checked my Thomson post.

all good.

hesh0925
05-07-2015, 02:28 AM
Holy moly. Instantly made me look at my seatpost.

avalonracing
05-07-2015, 07:49 AM
A friend rode standing for over an hour after his post failed at the cradle. No injuries, but very sore legs next day from all that standing.

I rode standing for an hour after my Thomson post cracked. (I have four of them, this is the only one that broke and they replaced it under warranty).

etu
05-07-2015, 08:31 AM
pre-recall VO post
after just getting on the golden gate bridge, heard a loud snap, followed immediately by a wobble in the saddle giving away and then excruciating pain in the nether region... :eek:
ride done, limped back to the parking lot.

broken seat posts suck.

GeorgeTSquirrel
05-07-2015, 01:20 PM
I had a masterpiece fail, but it was a horizontal crack on the saddle clamp...
Now I use a torque wrench on my saddle.

cnighbor1
05-07-2015, 03:29 PM
I would send photo to thompson