PDA

View Full Version : Fit/Geometry Question on Ebay

SC Will
04-20-2006, 07:00 PM
Hi guys
For any fit experts out there I am thinking about a bike on Ebay and need some help. The bike is an 03 Serotta Ottrott ST. (Item number 7234947855, but I can't figure out how to post the picture). I currently ride a 98 Legend Ti with stock geometry size 58, 13 cm stem, approximately 5cm saddle to handlebar drop. The item on Ebay is a size 58 sloping geometry with what appear to be minor differences from stock sloping geometry. For reference, I have attempted to include a table below of the stock geometry and the geometry of this particular model from Ebay, underlining what appears to be the differences. Can anyone help me to understand how these might affect the ride, and/or how this might impact on the fit of this frame. Thanks in advance for any help or insight with this!!

Will

Measurement Stock geometry/Ebay geometry
Seat tube length 52.0/52.0
Seat tube angle 73.0/73.0
Top tube length 57.5/57.0
Top tube slope 6.9/5.0
Head tube angle 73.0/73.0
Rake 4.3/4.3
Trail 5.9/5.9
Chainstay length 41.5/42.5
BB drop 8.0/8.0
Stand over 80.8/79.9
Head tube length 17.0/15.6

Smiley
04-20-2006, 07:05 PM
almost identical , the ebay bike has less slope , I assume that the standover works for you on the ebay bike and I also assume that the TT is Virtual TT and not actual TT length . So other then the slightly longer chainstay for the e-bay bike which should make this bike a tad more rear compliant why hesitate ?

how many spacers are on the steerer tube and do u need many spacers ?

dbrk
04-20-2006, 07:08 PM
The fit difference that might matter to you involves the headtube length. To achieve your 5cm saddle to bar drop you might need spacers or a stem. This presumes the fork length is the same or close but I'd bet donuts that the eBay bike is lower. The rest of the points of contact issues can be solved with a few moves of the saddle and stem, not really a big deal as I see it. (The longer chainstays can't be bad. No way. No how.) Very close but for the saddle/bar drop.

dbrk

SC Will
04-20-2006, 07:11 PM
Smiley -

The Ebay bike has never been built and has an uncut fork

My legend Ti has a serotta titanium quill stem, otherwise I would need several cm of spacers (unless I had a stem with rise)

BTW I am from DC originally but I will miss the party as I will be doing the Assault on Mount Mitchell

Thanks

Will

dbrk
04-20-2006, 07:15 PM
My legend Ti has a serotta titanium quill stem, otherwise I would need several cm of spacers (unless I had a stem with rise) Will

How much quill is showing on your Legend? With the shorter headtube on the Ottrott you are already losing stack height with the threadless steerer. So you need an extra 1.5cm plus the loss of headtube length plus the number of spacer it would take to fill the equivalent quill length. Or you can use a riser stem and seeing as these are slopers, they can sorta' match the look. It's saddle/bar drop, I'm tellin' ya'...

dbrk

SC Will
04-20-2006, 10:28 PM
I checked my Legend Ti

The headtube is 17 cm

Between the top of the CK HS and the bottom of the horizontal part of the stem is 2 cm

The saddle to top of bar drop is 6 cm

Thanks for the feedback so far

Dave
04-21-2006, 07:55 AM
If you measure from the floor to the top of the bars, it's pretty easy to figure the combination of spacers and stem angle needed to produce this height. For example, with a 15.6cm HT, a 3cm headset, 2cm of spacer and an 84 degree stem, you get a height of about 93cm. From there, it's simple to make changes with more or less stem angle or a spacer change. Flipping the stem from 84 to 96 degrees will raise the bars about 2cm.

mdeeds71
04-21-2006, 12:14 PM
I had a similar problem but with two serottas that were identical except for TT virtual/actual length and HT angle steeper on the Hors (newer). Somehow they ended up within .2 cm of the same reach and drop. I found also that since they are both built up that I was able to use a 1cm shorter stem and a bar set that was a bit less on reach and shollower on drop. The new Hors even had a .5 degree steeper HT. (Both HT were same length) I got the set up close but I ended up rotating the bars on the older rig to align the hoods better after a race and voila...they are now the same fit in the triangle of feet hands and butt.

BTW when I got my first serotta the CDA they wanted a bit more TT...the Hors did that but it actually was 1.5 longer.

Your situation is really different but may be able to change spacers and stem (due to width) to dial it in.