PDA

View Full Version : LBS levels of service

CNY rider
04-20-2006, 06:41 PM
I'd like to hear some opinions on the level of service you expect from your LBS.

There's one thing in particular I've got irritating me. My old LBS was basically a guy and his wife running a little homestyle kind of place. He was an excellent mechanic. I brought bikes in for tune-ups, mainly because at that point I didn't know how to do it myself, and as a medical resident I didn't have the time to invest to learn either. Everything I brought to him came back cleaner than when I dropped it off. I specifically remember bringing in wheels a couple of times for broken spokes/truing, and getting them back shiny clean (not that they were caked with mud or offensively filthy to begin with).

More recently, different LBS, brought the mountain bike in for total overhaul because I didn't feel like doing it. Came back to me just like it went in.....dirty.

Does your LBS give your parts/bike back to you cleaner than you brought it in? Do you think they should? Is it an essential, or more of a nice extra? What about those of you who work in bike shops?

Lanternrouge
04-20-2006, 06:48 PM
A bike should come back from an overhaul completely clean. Anything less is unacceptable.

I think it's appropriate if you get your wheels trued that they'd be cleaned up a bit in the process although it wouldn't require cleaning the cogs unless that was part of the service you paid for. I don't expect the shop to clean anything unless that's part of the specific service I'm paying for.

It sounds like the previous shop was a really good one.

bluesea
04-20-2006, 06:51 PM
I hear what you're saying, but also wonder if it would be considered rude to bring a "dirty" bike in for service? Don't we all brush our teeth before going to the dentist, and perhaps take a shower before going to the doctor?

CNY rider
04-20-2006, 07:01 PM
I hear what you're saying, but also wonder if it would be considered rude to bring a "dirty" bike in for service? Don't we all brush our teeth before going to the dentist, and perhaps take a shower before going to the doctor?

Agree with what you're saying. I never bring a really dirty bike or parts in for service. But there's usually a light film of dirt or dust on any bike, unless you specifically wash it right before bringing it in. Especially on wheels, on the braking surfaces and the hubs.

Ken Robb
04-20-2006, 07:24 PM
my LBS spray waxes every bike before they return it. I don't think a goodfull tune-up can be done on a dirty bike. How could they check for cracks?

I think it would be ok for a shop to charge extra to clean a really dirty bike before they work on it. After all they might have some liability if they did a tune-up on a filthy bike and missed a part that had a major failure soon afterward.

Larry
04-20-2006, 07:46 PM
Unless it is a really dirty mountain or trail bike, I would never take a bike in for service that is really dirty. And then if it is dirty, I would ask for a good clean and lube job as part of the bill. You get what you pay for, and the serviceman's time is valuable.

Actually, my Serotta rarely gets dirty. I avoid rain storms for the most part.
If I do get the crusty residue from rain on my bike, I clean it immediately.
Keep your bike clean......IT WORKS BETTER!!!!!

Fixed
04-20-2006, 09:01 PM
bro my lbs is in to big of a hurry they rush through everything with one thought in mind money . most of the bros I know who go in have to go back cos they forgot to do something .. it pretty bad when someone goes in for a chain and they go ride and there 's chatter all over the place they go back and they say you need a cass. and a chain ring ...when they just need a rear dir. adjustment ..... everybody wants to get rich but nobody wants to get ripped i.m.h.o
cheers

Larry
04-20-2006, 09:46 PM
bro my lbs is in to big of a hurry they rush through everything with one thought in mind money . most of the bros I know who go in have to go back cos they forgot to do something .. it pretty bad when someone goes in for a chain and they go ride and there 's chatter all over the place they go back and they say you need a cass. and a chain ring ...when they just need a rear dir. adjustment ..... everybody wants to get rich but nobody wants to get ripped i.m.h.o
cheers
Fixed,

I am most fortunate to have a fantastic LBS, Richardson Bike Mart in Dallas.
I would safely say that their quality service is at the highest level of any store or shop I could ever deal with.

Dear Fixed.....get in the face of your LBS. You know better.....and perhaps you can make a difference if you start writing letters or else meet with those
folks in charge of the store.
I am sorry to hear about your frustration and poor service situation.
It sounds like the shop just does not care.

Larry

Fixed
04-20-2006, 09:52 PM
bro thanks but i don't go there .. if i can't figure it out i go to the serotta dealer across the bay ..or better yet go see tony p.' he is the best guy around . cheers

lnomalley
04-20-2006, 10:08 PM
i NEVER bring a dirty bike to an LBS. it's a sign of disrepsect to the mechanic. if i want good work done on my bike.. i bring it in clean.

those guys work hard, don't get enough love, or enough cash. they also have a ton to teach you...

the guy that happens to be one of the best mechanics in socal was in a race with me last year. his wife and kids were there and he paid the money to race. i was pulling the pack into turn two and we came up on a lapped rider who panicked and went off line into me as i passed. i was laid out in the fetal position in the gutter.. and the mechanic stopped, got off his bike and stayed with me until the first aid came. then he rolled my bike to the tent and diagnosed all the damage and asked me to bring it in.

i've got nothing but love for mechanics and would never ask them to clean a bike for me. i clean it for them.

SoCalSteve
04-20-2006, 10:46 PM
i NEVER bring a dirty bike to an LBS. it's a sign of disrepsect to the mechanic. if i want good work done on my bike.. i bring it in clean.

those guys work hard, don't get enough love, or enough cash. they also have a ton to teach you...

the guy that happens to be one of the best mechanics in socal was in a race with me last year. his wife and kids were there and he paid the money to race. i was pulling the pack into turn two and we came up on a lapped rider who panicked and went off line into me as i passed. i was laid out in the fetal position in the gutter.. and the mechanic stopped, got off his bike and stayed with me until the first aid came. then he rolled my bike to the tent and diagnosed all the damage and asked me to bring it in.

i've got nothing but love for mechanics and would never ask them to clean a bike for me. i clean it for them.

When I have my car serviced, I always wash it before it goes in for servicing. My way of thinking is that if I show my car respect then the mechanic will as well.

Steve

SoCalSteve
04-20-2006, 10:48 PM
cheers

I have had this exact same experience here in Los Angeles, time after time. Thats when I decided to learn how to do my own wrenching. Best thing I have ever done besides use Brooks saddles.

Steve

vaxn8r
04-20-2006, 11:09 PM
Actually, my Serotta rarely gets dirty. I avoid rain storms for the most part.
If I do get the crusty residue from rain on my bike, I clean it immediately.
Keep your bike clean......IT WORKS BETTER!!!!!
First off, I have dedicated rain bike that takes most of the abuse. But I can only ride fenders for so long. I run my good bikes through a lot of wet grimey roads assuming it isn't raining hard. I just make time to maintain and keep them clean. They do run better clean. If I could only ride a bike on dry sunny days...well, kinda seems like a waste. Bikes clean up fine; they're not fragile apart from increased rim wear from braking in wet/muddy conditions.

itsalldark
04-21-2006, 09:17 AM
My LBS is Alberto's Cycles. These guys have a full on wash bay for the bikes they service. Bikes always come back squeaky clean. They will let you use the wash bay to wash your own bike if it is not in use. I can't imagine paying for a tune-up and getting the bike back dirty. In the spring a summer when they are really busy with tune-ups if you go into the shop all the repairs for the day are all lined up. Washed and wheels off waiting to be worked on.

spiderman
04-21-2006, 09:33 AM
just because my serottas and company store ibis tandem
are considered family by my lbs owner...
...like the soup nazi in seinfeld,
so is my bike shop owner to serotta...

David Kirk
04-21-2006, 09:48 AM
I can easily see both sides. Before I got into the building side of the biz I worked in retail for over 10 years. When I did a tune up the bike went back to the customer clean.

My first bike shop job was working at **** Sonne's Ski , bike and hike in New Harford, NY. I worked the graveyard shift - 11:00pm to 5:00am. My job was to clean bikes getting tune ups. That's all I did. Good fun.

Did it bum me out when someone would bring in a really dirty bike?.....hell yeah. It was insulting and a money loser for the shop. Many shops have a fixed rate for tune-ups and the extra time it takes to clean the bike was time and money lost. I did it anyway hoping that the cusotmer would see what a good job we did and then would continue to come back. Hopefully with cleaner bikes!

I think it would be really cool to tip the shop guy if you bring in a dirty bike for a tune up..........a pizza or a six pack goes a long way.

Dave

Edit - I see the edit program won't allow me to type in "D1ck". thanks goodness it's protecting you all from someone's name!

Ginger
04-21-2006, 09:58 AM
I clean my bike before my mechanic sees it...oh hold it...that's me. :)

Doing a tuneup on a bike that is filthy is just asking for extant dirt and junk to get into all that fresh lube and whatnot on the bike. Why bother?

If I did take in a dirty bike to the shop, I ran across the street and bought coffee for the guys (including the ones who weren't working on my bike.) Lunch from the restaurant next door. Treats from a bakery. Is that why some people had to wait two days for repairs and they'd throw my bike in the stand when I darkened their doorway? I only brought them food because it was the least I could do, they were taking care of my bike!

Ginger (who is doing a tuneup on the fatrotta this evening...yay!)