PDA

View Full Version : Fenders: what do you like

stephenmarklay
05-04-2015, 07:56 AM
I will be riding a “dirt fondo” next weekend and thought about putting on some fenders to prevent paint chipping and if the weather is bad keep me dry.

This is for my RB-1 with eyelets. I will be running Vittoria Pave 27s.

ergott
05-04-2015, 08:19 AM
I really like the Portland Design Works Full Metal Fenders in that size.

oldpotatoe
05-04-2015, 08:33 AM
I will be riding a “dirt fondo” next weekend and thought about putting on some fenders to prevent paint chipping and if the weather is bad keep me dry.

This is for my RB-1 with eyelets. I will be running Vittoria Pave 27s.

Gonna keep them on? If not just some plastic SKS or PlanetBike fenders..easy on and off..

guido
05-04-2015, 08:57 AM
I like the PDW full metal set too... Much nicer than the plastic SKS approach.

oldpotatoe
05-04-2015, 08:59 AM
I like the PDW full metal set too... Much nicer than the plastic SKS approach.

I would hope so..4 times the $....

preludervtec
05-04-2015, 11:10 AM
I too highly recommend the Portland Design Works Full Metal Fender. I've gone though multiple fenders in the last 4 years and the PDW fenders are hands down the best ones you can buy.

Bob Ross
05-04-2015, 11:17 AM
Shouldn't have any problems with an RB-1, but fwiw the PDW Full Metal Fenders are *not* as forgiving of tight clearance frames as their marketing might have one believe.

etu
05-04-2015, 11:32 AM
i know many ride dirt roads and trails with fenders, but i'd be worried about wheels locking with debris if i didn't have wide clearences.

http://boulderbicycle.blogspot.com/2013/09/fender-safety-thoughts.html

charliedid
05-04-2015, 12:01 PM
Good suggestions already, but I would leave them off for the dirt ride.

Have fun!

guido
05-04-2015, 12:51 PM
I would hope so..4 times the $....

Some times it is worth paying more...

ergott
05-04-2015, 12:57 PM
Good suggestions already, but I would leave them off for the dirt ride.

Have fun!

Depending on the level of "gettin rad" on the ride this is something to consider.

oldpotatoe
05-04-2015, 01:15 PM
Some times it is worth paying more...

I agree, but why I asked if he was going to keep them on. If I kept fenders on my Moots all the time, I would opt for metal fenders also. But here in the republic, where it's fairly dry, I put 'em on when it's wet but take 'em off if it's drying out. If it's raining, I don't ride. If I think I may get caught, I put 'em on but prefer them off.

Frankwurst
05-04-2015, 06:05 PM
Metal I prefer Berthoud or VO. Plastic or whatever the are (chromophased plastic infused laminated poly cosmic user friendly) SKS or Planet Bike.:beer:

bironi
05-04-2015, 07:24 PM
Metal I prefer Berthoud or VO. Plastic or whatever the are (chromophased plastic infused laminated poly cosmic user friendly) SKS or Planet Bike.:beer:

If they fit, the Berthoud are the best choice. They are rock solid and last for years. I was stuck with the PDW fenders because my local lbs was going under. They are not well designed for group riding and have some other deficiencies as well. The fenders do not cover the sidewall of the tires nearly as well as B's. The top edge of the front fender should be longer, and the rear fender should be longer at the rear.

Hey if you name your company Portland Design Works - get the design stuff right. I do think some people ride pacelines in the rain sometimes in Portland, right! We do ride in the rain in pacelines an 1.5 hours north on I-5, here in Olympia, WA.

stephenmarklay
05-04-2015, 10:22 PM
Thanks everyone for the great advice. I went to REI today and picked up some SKS. Well they are not a great fit. The RB-1 does have provisions for it but the are not great. Working on the front I would have to do some mods to make them work.

I think I will eventually spring for some of the PDW fenders.

I guess for this weekend I will of without.