PDA

View Full Version : Can I repair a slit in my tire?

stephenmarklay
05-03-2015, 10:35 AM
My beloved Veloflex Master has a small slit in it. Is there any true repair to get more miles out of it?

Fishy1923
05-03-2015, 10:37 AM
Super glue has worked well for me. Depends on the size of the slit though.

alancw3
05-03-2015, 10:51 AM
shoegoo has worked well for me with several slits as long as they have not compromised the cord in the tire. what i like so much about shoegoo is that it wears just like the tire, at least with con tie gp4000. can get at walmart for like $4 for a tube.

chrisroph
05-03-2015, 11:56 AM
If the cut has compromised the casing and you want to stretch the tire's life you can glue a small boot inside the casing. Use an old fine tubular casing without tread. Just be sure to powder the patch with cornstarch before closing and reinflating the tire to prevent the tube adhering to the glue.

dave thompson
05-03-2015, 12:23 PM
I've used Freesole https://www.mcnett.com/gearaid/freesole#10410 for years with great success repairing cuts and slits in my tires. It's not a silicone, it's a urethane based permanent repair. It's available in locations in and around Spokane.

TimAZ
05-03-2015, 01:44 PM
When using Freesole, or showgoo you can use a ice cube to help smooth it out once applied.

stephenmarklay
05-03-2015, 03:33 PM
Thanks so much you guys. I am going to the hardware to see what I can turn up. The slit is superficial for now so this may fix it.

05-03-2015, 04:24 PM
Is this a cut through the casing, or just a rubber cut? If the latter, you hardly need to do anything. If a casing cut, you can glue in a boot as described. For lighter tubulars or open tubulars I've found that a boot like that tends to leave a bit of a lump. You can go to West Marine and get some adhesive sail tape. The stuff is super-thin, and is made to stick to a sail and hold a rip or torn seam together. The stuff is a bit expensive but a little bit goes forever. I always have a couple pieces of it in my little bag next to my dollar bills -- even if I don't need it, I've patched tires for a lot of team mates and gotten them home. The stuff works really well and applies instantly -- no glue job needed.

stephenmarklay
05-03-2015, 04:29 PM
Is this a cut through the casing, or just a rubber cut? If the latter, you hardly need to do anything. If a casing cut, you can glue in a boot as described. For lighter tubulars or open tubulars I've found that a boot like that tends to leave a bit of a lump. You can go to West Marine and get some adhesive sail tape. The stuff is super-thin, and is made to stick to a sail and hold a rip or torn seam together. The stuff is a bit expensive but a little bit goes forever. I always have a couple pieces of it in my little bag next to my dollar bills -- even if I don't need it, I've patched tires for a lot of team mates and gotten them home. The stuff works really well and applies instantly -- no glue job needed.

In this case I don’t think I need this but I am going to go to west marine and get some of that tape. Thanks for the great tip.

stephenmarklay
05-03-2015, 04:30 PM
I've used Freesole https://www.mcnett.com/gearaid/freesole#10410 for years with great success repairing cuts and slits in my tires. It's not a silicone, it's a urethane based permanent repair. It's available in locations in and around Spokane.

Thanks Dave, I just ordered it from Amazon. I don’t need it until next week since I am doing the Dirt Fondo here next weekend and I am mounting some different tires for that.

dave thompson
05-03-2015, 04:50 PM
Freesole needs to cure overnight so plan accordingly.

Ressa's Shoe repair, on Division near the White Elephant, is where I get mine.

stephenmarklay
05-03-2015, 05:36 PM
Freesole needs to cure overnight so plan accordingly.

Ressa's Shoe repair, on Division near the White Elephant, is where I get mine.

I am certain it will come in super handy for my tires and also my kids shoes :)

dvs cycles
05-03-2015, 05:57 PM
I use a rubberized superglue that is sold in Hobby shops to glue tires on RC cars.
Seems to hold more consistently than krazy glue for me.
I have better luck if I let it cure overnight before taking it up to full pressure.