PDA

View Full Version : more about LA

flydhest
04-20-2006, 12:38 PM
Did this already get discussed?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/cycling/4925142.stm

bluesea
04-20-2006, 12:59 PM
Seems like good sense on his part. I wonder if Jalabert will be competing?

Fixed
04-20-2006, 02:15 PM
bro i wonder if he will do it with his ex.
cheers

manet
04-20-2006, 02:22 PM
Seems like good sense on his part. I wonder if Jalabert will be competing?

jaja is cool, but he ain't fast on his feet.
my bet is lance runs a 2:30, maybe sub.

Fixed
04-20-2006, 02:32 PM
bro I think he be doin good to break 2:50
cheers

BarryG
04-20-2006, 02:35 PM
I think he be doin good to break 2:50
Yeah, no way 2:30

Fixed
04-20-2006, 02:39 PM
bro even with a 2:50 he might be able to win ironman
cheers

67-59
04-20-2006, 02:59 PM
Are you guys kidding? No way 2:30?

Dudes, I am an average athlete at best, who switched from running to cycling about 3 years ago. HS track, never won a conference chapnionship, never went to state, not good enough to run competitively in college. Now when I bike, I can average about 19-20 mph on a good day, but more like 17-18 more typically. Yet, with just a few months training (and nowhere the ticker Lance has), I was able to finish 2 marathons in just over 3:00. If I can do that within 15 minutes of LA, I'm signing up for Le Tour tomorrow, 'cause I can finish in the top 10!

I say LA gets between 2:25 and 2:35.

Len J
04-20-2006, 03:35 PM
Are you guys kidding? No way 2:30?

Dudes, I am an average athlete at best, who switched from running to cycling about 3 years ago. HS track, never won a conference chapnionship, never went to state, not good enough to run competitively in college. Now when I bike, I can average about 19-20 mph on a good day, but more like 17-18 more typically. Yet, with just a few months training (and nowhere the ticker Lance has), I was able to finish 2 marathons in just over 3:00. If I can do that within 15 minutes of LA, I'm signing up for Le Tour tomorrow, 'cause I can finish in the top 10!

I say LA gets between 2:25 and 2:35.

Lance breaks 2:45 . There is a hugh difference between 3:10 & 2:30. Average of 7:15 miles vs 5:40 miles.....c'mon. While he has great cardio capability, it's a totally different muscle group.

"I've been running but I wouldn't call it serious." With that quote, 3:00 would be herculean.

2:50 & he's had a good day.

len

BTW, my personal best is 2:28 at Boston (a more difficult race than NY) just to give some perspective on my Knowledge.

flydhest
04-20-2006, 04:20 PM
Len,

Pick your favorite beverage and you and I have a bet. 2:45? I'll take the low side.

Len J
04-20-2006, 04:46 PM
Len,

Pick your favorite beverage and you and I have a bet. 2:45? I'll take the low side.

Not a chance.....(especially since it will take him 15 minutes just to get to the start line).

We'll settle up after.

Len

manet
04-20-2006, 04:48 PM
the wack-jobs i used to run with ran 2:45 - 2:29.

Len J
04-20-2006, 04:59 PM
the wack-jobs i used to run with ran 2:45 - 2:29.

marathon.

He's marginally motivated.

I'd love to be running with him at about the 19 mile mark.

He certainly has the cardio engine to run well........but how hard is he preparing?

Should be interesting.

Len

shaq-d
04-20-2006, 06:09 PM
marathon.

He's marginally motivated.

I'd love to be running with him at about the 19 mile mark.

He certainly has the cardio engine to run well........but how hard is he preparing?

Should be interesting.

Len

does lance know any other way to train than to win/kick butt? hmmmm interesting indeed...

sd

67-59
04-20-2006, 08:06 PM
First of all, this thought of Lance not training seriously is somethinig I don't buy. The guy is a born competitor, and he wouldn't so something like NY if he didn't think he could represent well.

As for the difference between 3:10 and 2:30? It's called lactic acid. The studies that have been published about Lance show that he has ridiculously low lactic acid production, and a high tolerance to what he does produce. Ain't gonna be any different just because he's using different muscle groups. Sure, the different training and lack of experience will certainly keep him from winning the thing, but his ridiculous physiological makeup will carry him far. And finally, the nonsense about it taking 15 minutes to get to the start line? You think maybe, just maybe, they'll find a way to get a 7-time TDF champion somewhere towards the front?

stevep
04-20-2006, 08:23 PM
put me down for 2:45 at best.
i will take an over under bet for $1 a minute either way from anyone up for it.
eg.
if he does 2:50 you pay me $5, etc, etc
if he does 2:40 i pay you $5.
come on..put up or shut up.

manet
04-20-2006, 08:24 PM
And finally, the nonsense about it taking 15 minutes to get to the start line? You think maybe, just maybe, they'll find a way to get a 7-time TDF champion somewhere towards the front?

even if he were not placed special behind the real contenders, it's all
time adjusted/chipped anyways.

e-RICHIE
04-20-2006, 08:28 PM
bro i wonder if he will do it with his ex.
cheershmmm. righteous idea atmo - (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Makeup_sex)

Len J
04-20-2006, 08:29 PM
First of all, this thought of Lance not training seriously is somethinig I don't buy. The guy is a born competitor, and he wouldn't so something like NY if he didn't think he could represent well.

As for the difference between 3:10 and 2:30? It's called lactic acid. The studies that have been published about Lance show that he has ridiculously low lactic acid production, and a high tolerance to what he does produce. Ain't gonna be any different just because he's using different muscle groups. Sure, the different training and lack of experience will certainly keep him from winning the thing, but his ridiculous physiological makeup will carry him far. And finally, the nonsense about it taking 15 minutes to get to the start line? You think maybe, just maybe, they'll find a way to get a 7-time TDF champion somewhere towards the front?

Yea, endurance is endurance.......LOL. He's the one who is saying he's not training seriously.

He certainly doesn't get close to 2:30

Len

Fixed
04-20-2006, 08:40 PM
bro maybe dave scott would know . bro even if your superman you don't just jump off a bike and start running 2: 30 even if he was able he's got soft legs = injury when it comes to running i.m.ho
cheers

Len J
04-20-2006, 08:57 PM
bro maybe dave scott would know . bro even if your superman you don't just jump off a bike and start running 2: 30 even if he was able he's got soft legs = injury when it comes to running i.m.ho
cheers

a 2:30 would beatop 40 or so finish.

a 2:30 would put his time in the top 50 US times for the year.

Len

bluesea
04-20-2006, 09:34 PM
Wait and see.

manet
04-20-2006, 09:40 PM
ok ok _ 2:39 if he's fibbing and actually doing some training.
if no real training, then just sub 3.

my wish _ he gets his shoes handed to him, eventually gives up
the whole running idea, whatever that is, and then goes home to
clear brush.

jerk
04-20-2006, 09:52 PM
running is stupid....if god had meant us to run he wouldn't have invented earth shoes.

jerk

bluesea
04-20-2006, 09:55 PM
my wish _ he gets his shoes handed to him, eventually gives up
the whole running idea, whatever that is, and then goes home to
clear brush.

There's always animal husbandry.

manet
04-20-2006, 10:01 PM
... animal husbandry.

provo marriage license

sfscott
04-21-2006, 06:19 PM
No matter the time, LA only achieved it because he started juicing for the NYC marathon. :p

BigDaddySmooth
04-21-2006, 08:36 PM
So what that he use to do tri's...did he do the Ironman distance...has he even run a marathon? Granted, he has the VO2 max/superb lactic acid efficiency going on, but he is 34 and pretty stoutly built to really do well, IMHO. If he is feinting training hard, he risks injury for trying to do too much, too soon. How long did JaJa train before running one...and he probably weighed 20# less than LA. 2:45 would be excellent though.

Ginger
04-21-2006, 08:36 PM
Nah, here ya go. He runs the marathon, but continues to eat like a pro cyclist, his ex wife (also running the marathon) finds him broken down on the course wolfing down Krispy Kremes. He has an epiphany that competition blinded him to his true love. He makes up with his wife there on the course, the kids happen to be in the right place at the right time cheering them on and it's all captured on ESPN. They remarry and live happily ever after. Trek buys Serotta and slaps Lance's name on the brand. Lance continues to eat like a competitive cyclist becoming the latter day Eddy.

Ya hey.

Dr. Doofus
04-21-2006, 08:40 PM
yawn

when he breaks into the WWF, doof'll pay attention

Fixed
04-21-2006, 10:13 PM
bro i like ginger" s story now we have a happy ending for the movie .
cheers

Lincoln
04-22-2006, 12:08 AM
So what that he use to do tri's...did he do the Ironman distance...has he even run a marathon? Granted, he has the VO2 max/superb lactic acid efficiency going on, but he is 34 and pretty stoutly built to really do well, IMHO. If he is feinting training hard, he risks injury for trying to do too much, too soon. How long did JaJa train before running one...and he probably weighed 20# less than LA. 2:45 would be excellent though.

SteveP: I'm in. A no-start is a draw. Cap it at $45 max ('cause he could decided to walk it in, but he can't break the WR).

BDS, You don't need to have run a marathon to run a reasonble one and his endurance background is a huge plus in taking the step to that distance. 2:45 is not a big deal for a good endurance athlete who knows a little about running. Even 2:30 isn't all that fast but would require serious training.

Ginger, that was good.

shaq-d
04-23-2006, 02:41 PM
BDS, You don't need to have run a marathon to run a reasonble one and his endurance background is a huge plus in taking the step to that distance. 2:45 is not a big deal for a good endurance athlete who knows a little about running. Even 2:30 isn't all that fast but would require serious training.

well, rolf aldag just did a 2:45 marathon today.. LA>aldag, LA=2:30...

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2006/apr06/apr24news

ada@prorider.or
04-23-2006, 03:08 PM
rolf aldag
2:42:57
today

BumbleBeeDave
04-23-2006, 08:21 PM
. . . and hand him the trophy if he wins if he would only STOP referring to himself in the plural, like he's some friggin' king o' the world!

I could understand him getting away with it when he was on Disco, when he was actually on a TEAM. But when he does that now, talking about how "WE wanted to do the one in Chicago, but it didn't fit in OUR schedule" or some such, it just makes me want to SCREAM!

Does he have ANY idea how arrogant talking that way makes him sound?

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGHHHH!!!

BBD

e-RICHIE
04-23-2006, 08:26 PM

BBD

BBD-issimo...
3 more posts bay-bee.
do it tonite.
i'll wait up for this.
reply now to me and
it'll getcha' just 2 posts
away. that's HOF stuff yo!!!!

ps you snuck one in on the other
thread. 2 more. think barry bonds.
there'll be no asterisks atmo.

Erik.Lazdins
04-23-2006, 08:27 PM
. . . and hand him the trophy if he wins if he would only STOP referring to himself in the plural, like he's some friggin' king o' the world!

I could understand him getting away with it when he was on Disco, when he was actually on a TEAM. But when he does that now, talking about how "WE wanted to do the one in Chicago, but it didn't fit in OUR schedule" or some such, it just makes me want to SCREAM!

BBD

Didn't Pantani talk about himself in the third person?

Isn't it the agent's duty, responsibity to tell the superstar to lay off the second helping of megalomania?

BumbleBeeDave
04-23-2006, 08:36 PM
. . . they have their local Wal-Mart equivalent and it's called "Mega-Lo-Mart."

Betcha Lance shops there all the time, and how fitting that she show is set in--TEXAS!

BBD, aka Mister Five Thousand!

e-RICHIE
04-23-2006, 08:39 PM
BBD, aka Mister Five Thousand!

is there any BBD ephemera or memorabilia market
yet? u r a living legend. what's next for the BBDmeister?

BarryG
05-24-2006, 06:31 AM
"On hand (in addition to Nike CEO Mark Parker and Apple CEO Steve Jobs) were Lance Armstrong and Paula Radcliffe - both of whom talked about running briefly. Armstrong - who is training for the New York City Marathon and is the 7 time Tour de France champion - said that he's been training 45 minutes - 1 hour a day and hopes to come within one hour of Radcliffe's finishing time. A tall task for most considering she finished the London Marathon in the world record time of 2:15.25."

manet
05-24-2006, 07:37 AM
LA ran an 18:24 5k just recently.
at least we (i) can beat lance at something.