PDA

View Full Version : fit question - hood location

bironi
04-20-2006, 10:58 AM
I am considering moving my left brake hood closer to make for a shorter reach for my left arm. I had a 3rd degree shoulder separation on my right shoulder a few years back, and have about a 1 inch step from my clavicle to my shoulder. I think this has resulted in a longer reach on my right arm. My riding buddy says my left shoulder appears lower than my right when riding on the hoods. I have noticed recently that I position my hands differently to compensate. I do notice that I have had to compensate when riding hard out of the saddle. I was more smooth out of the saddle prior to this injury.

My question to fitters out there, is this something you have seen before? Do you recommend shortening the reach on my left arm?

Thanks in advance for you opinions. :beer:

rpm
04-20-2006, 11:36 AM
Same with me. I have a big knot in my left collarbone, and my reach is about an inch shorter on my left than on my right. Last year, I was reading Andy Pruitt's book on cycling medicine and he had a sentence in there about setting the levers at different heights. I tried it, and I like it a lot. I'm more centered and more comfortable.

The trick is to get the heights right so that you can reach both levers from both the hoods and the drops. Try moving one up a little and the other down a little to create the difference. I added the Specialized shims to my Shimano levers to lessen the reach on my higher lever, so that I could get to it from the drops.

BdaGhisallo
04-20-2006, 11:59 AM
http://weightweenies.starbike.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=15452&sid=ef061a19824dcbc7315b371f18ae0ac7

You need one of the bars shown in the first post in this thread. It'll fix you up great!!