PDA

View Full Version : I got my money's worth from these tires

moose8
04-29-2015, 08:41 PM
I have some continental Grand Prix four seasons that I've been using quite awhile and have never flatted. I thought they looked liked they were getting a little worn and then I noticed this spot in the picture. I'm amazed by these tires simply because they never ever flatted even when I used them longer than their useful life. I know they don't ride the smoothest but I've come around to really liking not worrying about flatting. I figured I'd share my experience in the event someone else is looking for a hassle free tire that doesn't ride too bad.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/04/29/287bc1dcfa00491b1446ea349f8aed19.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/04/29/d9a963271ce7a0f0410163c5d527ac4c.jpg

parris
04-29-2015, 08:47 PM
I love when I get tires to last that long :)

Louis
04-29-2015, 08:49 PM
I'm always impressed by a tire manufacturer's ability to build to close tolerances when I start to see threads all at the same time at a number of spots around the tire. To me that means that the outer rubber casing was uniformly thick, as opposed to seeing threads in only one spot, which means that either I skidded the tire pretty badly or there was a thin spot.

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSeuGmh1jrvpXLul7AClX8O_Os0qSXPC-0b9I31QobA5-fuRtcm

JLP
04-29-2015, 09:05 PM
GP 4 seasons are such a go-to tire for those looking for some quality control and durability.

gasman
04-29-2015, 10:54 PM
My GP 4's lasted only a few months commuting then had repeated cuts and flats so I had to deep 6 them.I've had bad luck with my commuter tires and I've tried a bunch. Heck, I can barely get 1,500-2,000 miles with Armadillo Elites. It must be the fact that I have to ride by the U of Oregon campus every morning.

My road tires, though softer rubber, seem to last as long and I manage to get lots of use out of them. I'm glad to see you got lots of miles on your tires, I've heard similar stories for the GP 4 . I'm jealous .Congratulations!

kenw
04-30-2015, 12:06 AM
I installed a new set of GP 4 Seasons a few years ago, and within 500 miles
the rubber split in almost every small tread groove so that the cords in the
casing were well exposed. Bad "dye" lot, I guess.

martinez
04-30-2015, 01:53 AM
Lucky you!
I've had the same luck as gasman. I've had mine for about 8 months and have gotten pinch flats almost once or twice a month. Do simple commutes or safe solo riding. Used bontrager tubes and pumped to 100 psi, now 120 the past few months. Also have gotten cuts in the sidewall, and used tire boots because I refuse to not get a decent amount of mileage from them! But I've been a little disappointed in my experience. They ride great to me, but bummed I've been getting bad luck. Haven't had this same luck with my panaracers on my other bike but oh well!

Mayhem
04-30-2015, 04:22 AM
I have a little over 3000 miles on a set of Krylion Carbon's and not a single flat. They still have plenty of life left, I'm sure I can get another 1000 miles out of them. Never had a tire wear this good. Hands down the best clincher I ever used and only $30 a tire at Performance.

lemondvictoire
04-30-2015, 03:01 PM
Congrats on getting your money's worth on the tires... There's a certain amount of luck and risk to ride tires till the cords show. A few months ago, a fellow club member had a blowout on worn tires..........he was lucky to not crash............let's be careful out there.............:no:

moose8
04-30-2015, 03:53 PM
Congrats on getting your money's worth on the tires... There's a certain amount of luck and risk to ride tires till the cords show. A few months ago, a fellow club member had a blowout on worn tires..........he was lucky to not crash............let's be careful out there.............:no:

I basically follow this: http://sheldonbrown.com/tires.html#replacement

Only twist is I do get rid of both once the rear is worn out because the rear wears significantly quicker for me than the front, but a front flat could cause more problems than the rear for me. For the riding I do, which isn't usually in tight quarters, I think a rear flat from a worn tire poses very little risk.

Black Dog
04-30-2015, 04:53 PM
I basically follow this: http://sheldonbrown.com/tires.html#replacement

Only twist is I do get rid of both once the rear is worn out because the rear wears significantly quicker for me than the front, but a front flat could cause more problems than the rear for me. For the riding I do, which isn't usually in tight quarters, I think a rear flat from a worn tire poses very little risk.

Sure, unless you blow out while cornering or at high speed, there is always a risk.

moose8
04-30-2015, 05:09 PM
Sure, unless you blow out while cornering or at high speed, there is always a risk.

Good thing I only go slow and straight. It does raise a question of what people regard as worn out. I guess I'm on the far end of what counts as worn out.

Louis
04-30-2015, 05:33 PM
I guess I'm on the far end of what counts as worn out.

+1

If a tire's not showing threads, IMO it isn't worn out. (assuming no huge gashes)

Black Dog
04-30-2015, 06:30 PM
Good thing I only go slow and straight. It does raise a question of what people regard as worn out. I guess I'm on the far end of what counts as worn out.

For the record. If I don't see threads then it is good to ride, generally.

RedRider
05-01-2015, 10:15 AM
No one should ever ride tires worn down like that! You will compromise your ride quality, your own safety and the safety of the people you ride with.
If any member of the Paceline is having such financial hardships that they can not replace their tires please contact me, in confidence, and I will help you out.

moose8
05-01-2015, 12:15 PM
No one should ever ride tires worn down like that! You will compromise your ride quality, your own safety and the safety of the people you ride with.
If any member of the Paceline is having such financial hardships that they can not replace their tires please contact me, in confidence, and I will help you out.

My use was not financial, more just checking and never seeing any threads until one day I did. If not the thread method, what's the best way to tell if a tire is worn out? I always have just followed that Sheldon brown link which seems to say watch for lots of flats or threads, and in this case I had neither for a very long time.

Black Dog
05-01-2015, 12:35 PM
My use was not financial, more just checking and never seeing any threads until one day I did. If not the thread method, what's the best way to tell if a tire is worn out? I always have just followed that Sheldon brown link which seems to say watch for lots of flats or threads, and in this case I had neither for a very long time.

Conti tires do have built in tread wear indicators. They are the little holes in the tread that appear in pairs offset from the centre line of the tread. When the holes are gone the tread is very thin.

https://www.canyon.com/img/supportcenter/483_detail.jpg

moose8
05-01-2015, 12:42 PM
Conti tires do have built in tread wear indicators. They are the little holes in the tread that appear in pairs offset from the centre line of the tread. When the holes are gone the tread is very thin.

https://www.canyon.com/img/supportcenter/483_detail.jpg

Mine were pre that innovation, which looks like a good one. How about with tires without wear indicators? I thought the thread showing was a good way but sounds like consensus may be that it isn't.

tumbler
05-01-2015, 12:51 PM
I've had the same experience as the OP. I've been wanting new tires because the ride isn't so great with these, but I've never flatted and they last forever... almost too long. Like bread in the pantry that should be covered in mold by now, but suspiciously isn't.

Black Dog
05-01-2015, 12:52 PM
Mine were pre that innovation, which looks like a good one. How about with tires without wear indicators? I thought the thread showing was a good way but sounds like consensus may be that it isn't.

I also factor in how squared off the rear tire becomes as it wears. There is a point where the tire goes from a semi circle to a rectangle in profile. This does effect cornering.