PDA

View Full Version : what's up with Scot Nichol?

eddief
04-20-2006, 09:25 AM
Went to the Ibis site and enjoyed his article about approaches to carbon.

Thanks dbrk for the reminder.

Just curious if anyone knows the inside poop on how he got the Ibis name back. I wish I had my Spanky back and this guy does seem to be a story to stay on top of. Up from the ashes.

Maybe here:http://ibiscycles.com/about/

TweeWielen
04-20-2006, 10:51 AM
Always lusted after one of the IBIS steel bikes with
the Tange Prestige "moron" tubing... perfect for a moron like me :)

Still have a crufty old ibis moron tubing t-shirt somewheres...

CF.. tell us Scot it isnt true!! :crap:

rsl
04-20-2006, 12:08 PM
I know! My dream bike in college was a steel Ibis Mojo hardtail - I tried to placate myself with a steel Gary Fisher Hoo Koo e Koo, but it definitely didn't have the same soul.

I wouldn't mind a steel Hakkalugi Cyclocross either. If they were to bring either of those back I'd have a hard time resisiting...

TweeWielen
04-20-2006, 12:22 PM
This site has PDF versions of a lot of old MTB product
catalogs from the good old days. http://www.mtb-kataloge.de/ , including of course, Ibis.

Seeing the old Fat City catalogs brings a tear to my eye.
Spent a lot of time on the throne with those bad boys.

:beer:
Ken

ashwinearl
04-20-2006, 12:31 PM
Went to the Ibis site and enjoyed his article about approaches to carbon.

Thanks dbrk for the reminder.

Just curious if anyone knows the inside poop on how he got the Ibis name back. I wish I had my Spanky back and this guy does seem to be a story to stay on top of. Up from the ashes.

Maybe here:http://ibiscycles.com/about/

*free Ibis advertising removed*

eddief
04-20-2006, 12:44 PM
down to a minium.

bshell
04-20-2006, 02:12 PM
There will also be lots of ecstatic folks when they get to own and ride an exceptionally nice carbon bike at an unusually affordable price. Get in line, as producion is limited. I know these folks/bikes and they are brilliant. Dealers and distributors snatched up every unit offered for 2006 before Interbike ended day 2.

Overseas carbon, blah blah blah. I guess everything from Giant, Specialized, Scott (cr1?), etc. is garbage? How strange, they have tons of experience but it's no good based on longitude. Check it out, Asia is producing some outstanding carbon.

Don't think that there are not stories/issues about local Calfee and Kestrel offerings just because they are expensive and domestic....

Lanternrouge
04-20-2006, 03:52 PM
There will also be lots of ecstatic folks when they get to own and ride an exceptionally nice carbon bike at an unusually affordable price. Get in line, as producion is limited. I know these folks/bikes and they are brilliant. Dealers and distributors snatched up every unit offered for 2006 before Interbike ended day 2.

Overseas carbon, blah blah blah. I guess everything from Giant, Specialized, Scott (cr1?), etc. is garbage? How strange, they have tons of experience but it's no good based on longitude. Check it out, Asia is producing some outstanding carbon.

Don't think that there are not stories/issues about local Calfee and Kestrel offerings just because they are expensive and domestic....

There are lots of great carbon bikes from Asia and probably all from the same couple of factories. I think some of the disappointment with the current incarnation of Ibis is that its offerings aren't fundamentally different from a lot of what else is out there. There are a lot of great reasonably-priced (relatively) Asian carbon bikes of which Ibis is one of many. Of course, virtually all mass produced carbon bikes are Asian.

Kestrel's are now made in Taiwan and mainland China (at least they were in both for 2005). I have one and love it, but there is a certain coolness value to a U.S. made frame.

Sheldon4209
04-20-2006, 07:45 PM
My wife and I rode an Ibis tandem for seven years. People always admired the hand job to hold the rear brake cable, the toe jam for a pump peg, the Silica pump painted to match, brazons for eight water bottle cages, and the sterling silver head tube badge. The frame's tubes are sealed and water got in through the brazons and rust became a concern. The head tube also ovalized and we were going through headsets so we retired the frame. The bike was so much fun that the frame still hangs in our garage. Old Chuck Ibis (Scot Nichol) is a character.
Sheldon

mosca
04-20-2006, 10:24 PM
I've been studying that photo of the Silk Road, hoping to see SOMETHING besides the decals that makes it an Ibis rather than just a generic carbon frame. I really want to see the personality that I've come to associate with Ibis bicycles.

Oh well, probably best to reserve judgement until I can at see it in person and/or ride one - I hope it kicks serious @ss and makes them all millionaires, but it still feels like something is missing.

Anyone know when they will go on sale?

Steve Hampsten
04-20-2006, 10:34 PM
No "h" in Nicol.

Hans Heim (ex-Bontrager, Santa Cruz) bought the name from the bank after the chuckleheads who bought the company from Scot drove it into the ground. Yes, it's a different style of bike now, but the industry has changed enormously in the last ten years - it's doubtful a person start a company like Ibis usta be and hope for it to make any sort of money producing bikes here in the US of A.

Hans brought Scot into the fold along with a couple of other talented folks - it's all out there in Google-land if you dig around. They have some good ideas in the works - just wait and see.

Scot is one of the funniest and smartest people around, and a real treat to hang with. Or drink wine with. He's doing a bit of guiding for my bro and some of us are (Scot, me, The Schnitz) are trying to set up a tour/camp in Sonoma for...sometime soonish. It will be a blast. There will be tannins aligned.

eddief
04-20-2006, 11:29 PM
Thanks for a bit of insider scoop. Please put my on a list (not the sh*t list) for anything you might do in N CA. Love to ride and hang out with your likes and the other hoipoloi.

I might think these two new models form Ibis are both good bikes and a way to generate some momentum for moving back toward THE DAY. The way I see it Kogswell and Bleriot are doing some creativity in the East and part of making money and your way in the bike business may require more than a great eye and a great pair of hands. It may require those who are excellent at translating the ideas to those with less expensive hands, eyes and brains...in the East.

Scot and co. just may be working up to something.

Sing it Peter Noonan, "Something tells me I'm into something good."

d_douglas
04-21-2006, 02:49 AM
I must admit that I was a bit disappointed by hte lack of ti or steel frames when Ibis emerged. I was hot on the trail of my first ti frame at the time of its re-emergence and used to drool over their ti road frames (the one just posted in hte gallery is my size and gorgeous!!) so I eagerly awaited its unveiling.

I wil take Steve;s word for it that they have other interesting stuff up their sleeves, because Scott N is too whacky and creative to have relented to the realm of simply producing generic carbon frames.

DD

Note: I would still love to try one of those generic carbon frames, to be honest!

crossjunkee
04-21-2006, 04:00 PM
I'd just like to get my hands on a handjob bottle opener!