PDA

View Full Version : Are carbon shoes worth it?

saab2000
04-20-2006, 07:46 AM
I have two pair of Time shoes - the old yellow and red ones. They are comfortable and reliable and look beat up and skanky. I have no immediate plans to replace them.

But I occasionally think about it. I know that fit is very personal, but how about the stiffness of the carbon shoes? They can be pretty expensive. No pros use Time shoes anymore, but I don't think that is necessarily because they are outdated. But I don't know.

Who uses carbon-soled shoes and was there any kind of improvement or negatives?

kgrooney
04-20-2006, 07:58 AM
I have two pair of Time shoes - the old yellow and red ones. They are comfortable and reliable and look beat up and skanky. I have no immediate plans to replace them.

But I occasionally think about it. I know that fit is very personal, but how about the stiffness of the carbon shoes? They can be pretty expensive. No pros use Time shoes anymore, but I don't think that is necessarily because they are outdated. But I don't know.

Who uses carbon-soled shoes and was there any kind of improvement or negatives?

I have the same shoes and do not intend to give them up.. I do understand, though, that Time has a new black shoe soon to hit the market. I've been using Time pedals and shoes for years and would never consider changing. I'm that type who nevers changes a brand if it works for me.

Hysbrian
04-20-2006, 08:31 AM
I'm at the tail end of the life span for my first pair of shoes. Shimano carbons, the ones with three straps, and I am kind of attached to them. The only problem was that about 4 months ago the plastic heel pad that is attached to the carbon came off and I have been slowly getting rid of all the carbon and now most of the leather in the heel area.

Back to the point...
The shoes have been great though. They still feel like new, and although I replaced the insole with a more supportive one, I don't have any problem with them being too stiff. As far as using plastic, i think that the carbon is the same just lighter. I would give them a try.

Frustration
04-20-2006, 08:33 AM
There's not really a benefit to carbon in and of it's self as it can be done flexy or stiff...

Some carbon is just fiberglass wrapped carbon, some carbon soles are super thin (and not too stiff) and some are just bull***** plastic with enough carbpn dust for a manufacturer to claim a "carbon composite sole"... Some are a solid piece of carbon (like D2 custom).

I like the stiffness in Northwave shoes and that they have enough room (for me...) to have an esoles insert in them. Sidi have a little more flex (kinda like my old Time shoes) but it's not a flex that lets Hot Spots happen and they come in several different widths...

ergott
04-20-2006, 08:38 AM
I'm at the tail end of the life span for my first pair of shoes. Shimano carbons, the ones with three straps, and I am kind of attached to them. The only problem was that about 4 months ago the plastic heel pad that is attached to the carbon came off and I have been slowly getting rid of all the carbon and now most of the leather in the heel area.

Back to the point...
The shoes have been great though. They still feel like new, and although I replaced the insole with a more supportive one, I don't have any problem with them being too stiff. As far as using plastic, i think that the carbon is the same just lighter. I would give them a try.

I super-guled the plastic heel when it was getting loose. It hasn't budged since. Great shoes!

Hysbrian
04-20-2006, 08:42 AM
Did that broke it off...gave up. I'm past the point of no return now. I'm also starting to wear through other parts also.
But whatever, this is the one piece of cycling gear that I think I've had for more than a year.

znfdl
04-20-2006, 08:50 AM
I just gave up on my sidi shoes as they were too flexy for me.

I am trying the specalized carbon pro road shoes. The shoes have more toe box room than the sidi mega's. After one ride they feel pretty good. I will try to do a short write up in a couple of weeks.

I did not get these shoes for the carbon sole, but that the shoes fit me like a glove. The ratchet mechanisim is not as nice as on the sidi's. However, the placement of the ratchet mechanisim is higher up on the shoe, which for me makes it more comfortable. The placement of the genius ratchet hurt like h_ll and I did not buy the shoes. The specialized soles are more stiff than the sidi zeta's that I was using.

Another added benefit of the specialized shoes is that they vent much better than the sidi shoes.

Bill Bove
04-20-2006, 09:01 AM
I've been using the carbon soled Nikes for a couple of years now. They are great, not too stiff, light enough and a near perfect fit. Unfortanatly for me they no longer make them in my small size so it's going to be either Rocket 7 or D2 for me next time around.

Birddog
04-20-2006, 09:18 AM
I have some Northwave carbon soled shoes that give me a neuropathy on rides longer than 30 miles or so. I can't say for certain that it is caused by the stiffness of the sole, but I think it is. The fit and cleat placement is identical (near as I can tell) to my older Diadoras which do not give me any trouble. I have noticed in the last year or so that other posters (on this board and others) have had similar complaints. Not enough to say there is a clear trend, but enough to make me think that some of us may be better off with a more flexible sole.

Birddog

alancw3
04-20-2006, 09:34 AM
i think that shoes are a very subjective thing based on one's foot. i am still on me first pair of bike shoes. sidi genius 3. these shoes fit my like a glove. size 48 for a street shoe 13d. i absolutely love the shoe. no flex for me and work well with speedplay cleats (remove the spd base plate). the only thing i might object to is that the sidi name conveys a certain "ocp" connotation and that is not me but the shoe is great!

Frustration
04-20-2006, 09:39 AM
IMHO,

If you have "No Flex", you may be the only one.

Not that that's a bad thing, some folks like a bit of flex...

Climb01742
04-20-2006, 09:51 AM
it's very personal, i think. i can feel sidi's flex and their sole is quite cut-out under the arch, so my foot doesn't feel quite as supported, arch-wise. whereas shimano's wider sole and stiffer sole feels more supportive, for me. but that's me. sidi's upper is far more comfy than shimano's. sidi's work great for some; shimano's work great for some.

shinomaster
04-20-2006, 01:19 PM
yes the good ones like shimano are..