PDA

View Full Version : New Clement Paris Roubaix tubs????

Too Tall
04-20-2006, 07:14 AM
Somebody know the answer?

Over a yr. ago a local team director asked me to setup some fanchschmancy TT wheels for him. He provided me with tubs and crap glue...threw out the glue and went to work....but the tires were way to fat for the narrow disk so I called him and told him I'd glue up some nice Veloflex tubs..end of story...well, I told him leave the fat tubs I'll use them for commuting ;)

I just got around to the tubs recently and they are new Clement Paris-Roubaix and are a 24 size NOT 27 and they are NOT labeled "Challenge" but they appear brand spankin' new.

What have I got? The depth measures 21 from top of rim brake surface to top of tire and 24 at the widest. They are SWEEET looking and feel very very supple and think I'd like to find more.

sspielman
04-20-2006, 07:22 AM
Is the tread stamped "made in Italy"?...or "made in Thailand"?...Also, is the tread stamped "pneumatici Clement"?

Too Tall
04-20-2006, 09:16 AM
Thailand. Cornfused. I hear you but whats up with the 24 width and the name? Challenge PRs are the only ones I find for sale now and all are claimed 27s...which is a good thing but I am curious about these tires...they look sweet for commuting. Fat enough for some fast rough stuff, not big enough for trails.

chrisroph
04-20-2006, 09:20 AM
Are they cotton or silk? Are they straight and true? What does the strip look like and say? Is the strip covered with latex or is it bare cotton? Sounds like those could be excellent tires.

sspielman
04-20-2006, 09:36 AM
The reason I asked about the "pneumatici Clement" label was to see if this tire was perhaps made in that one (or two) year(s) that Vittoria licensed the Clement name....because the size is similar to a Pave CG. Otherwise, it has to be a bit earlier...in which case it is another Foxonall model that is no longer available...but should be...

Too Tall
04-20-2006, 10:05 AM
Cool!
Basetape is plain cotton...looks really nice and the base tape is printed with Clement. Sidewalls and basetape look alot like the Clement Strada that yellow jersey was selling 3fer $50...however that is where the sim. ends. These are a quality tire. On the rim they look pretty darn straight and overall construction is a 9 fer sher. Presently I do not have a bike that has a fork to accomodate...doesn't that blow? Might put them on my fixed gear because I'm really curious about these. Sspielman, are these the real deal? They might be Vittoria and I only say that because the guy who "donated" them kept saying they were Vittoria's. Heck, I'd run these on the tandem for racing, they are a perfect size.

sspielman
04-20-2006, 11:58 AM
I think that it is safe to assume that these tires are no longer being made...I am sure that they will provide a terrific ride.

Spicoli
04-20-2006, 04:23 PM
But hey TT,
What does the Queen think about the Espresso's? I was just curious if she dug them.

Too Tall
04-20-2006, 04:50 PM
Oh the shame of it all...the Gommitalias looked so damn fine I kept them all to myself. Dewd, they are waay nice. Toss up between them and Veloflex Crit...hard to say because the V.Vrits have two seasons of races on them. Thanks.

Back on topic. So it boils down to this...there are only two decent quality tubulars in the 27 size range and maybe only one. Challenge PR and Dugast, go figure :rolleyes:

Spicoli
04-20-2006, 05:30 PM
selfishshellfishselfishshellfish!!!!!! :beer: :banana: