PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one who likes to run seatpost and stem from the same mfg?

H1449-6
04-20-2006, 05:38 AM
My Landshark has Dura-Ace (Nitto) post and stem.

My Trek mountain bike has Control Tech post and stem.

I'm trying to decide right now on post and stem for my new road bike (thinking Thomson, but open to suggestions; has to be silver, not black).

Thinking back, I've done this with most of my bikes.

Anyone else?

Too Tall
04-20-2006, 05:52 AM
No, it puts a crimp in my shopping opportunities.

Grant McLean
04-20-2006, 07:09 AM
For some reason I also think about stuff like that all the time.

Personally, I'd rather see a nice matching bar and stem combo,
but if the post works in there too, that's a bonus.

g

zank
04-20-2006, 07:29 AM
I run Ritchey WCS bars, stems and seat posts on road, cross and mountain bikes. I am working on a fixie for myself. Nitto will be the bar, stem and seatpost of choice for that bike. I like the look of a bike with a consistent theme for the parts.

chrisroph
04-20-2006, 09:17 AM
Never thought about it. I just use what fits, works well, is in my or coy's parts bins, or is on sale.

Wayne77
04-20-2006, 09:18 AM
The Oval Concepts stem and post is a nice, non-CNC, combo for folks looking for something in silver

Bill Bove
04-20-2006, 09:41 AM
Close but not exactly. The Post and stem have to match in color, the bar and stem do not but the post must also match the components. I.E. one of my bikes has a Cinelli Ti stem with black Cinelli bars and a Campy Ti post. Bars and stem match in mfr, post matches stem and grupo. The other bike has a black ITM stem and black carbon ITM bars with a carbon Campy post and Campy grupo. All in my world is O.K. I sleep well at night.

abqhudson
04-20-2006, 09:53 AM
I tried this, but the post will not hold my seat in place - no matter how tight I try to get it. The seat is "back" and I continually find the nose pushed up a lot.

So my new seat post will not match the stem.

Jim

davids
04-20-2006, 10:03 AM
Of course the stem and seatpost match!

Nove: Ritchey WCS stem and seatpost
Axiom: Seven stem and seatpost (alu stem, carbon post...)
Adept: Thomson stem and seatpost

As far as handlebars, I insist on 3TTT Forgies on the road. My Adept has some generic mid-range Bontrager bar, and it's fine. So, the matching ceases with the stem and post.

See my sig for visual confirmation...

cydewaze
04-20-2006, 10:48 AM
I thought about that just the other night.

Unfortunately, I can't do it. I like my American Classic seatpost so much, I can't bear to part with it, and I don't think they make stems.

I used to have an ITM Millenium stem (like the ones pictured above) but I found this really cool Cinelli Groove stem for a great price, and it looks really cool on my bike.

Right now I have Modolo bars, but since they were all gashed up (take-offs) I'm going to be in the market for bars soon. I'll probably grab a pair of Deda 215's and then nothing will match. :D

Wayne77
04-20-2006, 11:05 AM
I tried this, but the post will not hold my seat in place - no matter how tight I try to get it. The seat is "back" and I continually find the nose pushed up a lot.

Jim

Hmm.. My seat post works great. I tightened the bolts farily tight by hand with a shorter allen wrench and it hasn't budged. I weigh 175. Too bad you had a different experience - It's one of the nicer looking posts out there, IMO

67-59
04-20-2006, 11:44 AM
I like 'em to match. Currently have Thomson silver for both....

CNote
04-20-2006, 11:55 AM
I tried [Oval Concepts stem and post], but the post will not hold my seat in place - no matter how tight I try to get it. The seat is "back" and I continually find the nose pushed up a lot.

Jim

Yeah, the seatpost clamp is a terrible design.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=173932&postcount=25

capitán
04-20-2006, 11:58 AM
Yeah, the seatpost clamp is a terrible design.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=173932&postcount=25

Same problem here. That seatpost is no good imho.

OldDog
04-20-2006, 12:12 PM
Cinelli bar and stem. Campy everything else.

Are there other choices?

DavidK
04-20-2006, 01:24 PM
Stella Azzurra Stem, post and crank... Campy everywhere else :D

Wayne77
04-20-2006, 01:59 PM
If you have a stem this nice you don't need a matching post.

-From Len J's Kirk fixee

Ken Robb
04-20-2006, 03:07 PM
I like the post to match the color of bars and stem but I don't care if they all came from the same manufacturer.
About the Dura Ace post from Nitto: I'm pretty sure my DA post is from Easton. I guess they changed suppliers.

H1449-6
04-20-2006, 04:02 PM
I like the post to match the color of bars and stem but I don't care if they all came from the same manufacturer.
About the Dura Ace post from Nitto: I'm pretty sure my DA post is from Easton. I guess they changed suppliers.

Mine's probably early to mid 90s.

dirtdigger88
04-20-2006, 04:08 PM
every dura ace post I have is made by easton

jason

manet
04-20-2006, 04:46 PM
the always curious bra + panties question?

Grant McLean
04-20-2006, 08:33 PM
every dura ace post I have is made by easton

jason

dewd,

ah, to be so young and tender....before your time, they were nitto.

-g

H1449-6
04-20-2006, 09:53 PM
dewd,

ah, to be so young and tender....before your time, they were nitto.

-g

That's the one I have. When I get home I'll take a pic of my Dura-Ace/Nitto stem and post it.

Grant McLean
04-20-2006, 10:34 PM
That's the one I have. When I get home I'll take a pic of my Dura-Ace/Nitto stem and post it.

just google it.

http://www.yellowjersey.org/3RPANTO1.JPG

-g