PDA

View Full Version : Fly Pedals adapters?

phcollard
04-29-2015, 08:09 AM
Howdy!

Anybody has experience with those? http://flypedals.com/

I'm thinking of ordering a pair so I can commute on my otherwise Look Keo equipped road bike. I already do so but to be honest riding clipless pedals with sneakers isn't so great.

roguedog
04-29-2015, 08:25 AM
Ooh..hmm..cool. Might have to try some myself. I wonder if it go 2 sided..

EDS
04-29-2015, 08:41 AM
Howdy!

I'm thinking of ordering a pair so I can commute on my otherwise Look Keo equipped road bike. I already do so but to be honest riding clipless pedals with sneakers isn't so great.

No, but if you get some, please report back. I road my bike to the shop for some service a few weeks ago on the way to work and I can confirm that dura ace pedals and leather bottom shoes are not great combo for anything more than a short jaunt.

JWDR
04-29-2015, 09:05 AM
Thanks for the link. I regularly ride my spd/look clipless pedals with normal shoes and while it works with practice, a larger platform would be nice.

Limonade
04-29-2015, 09:23 AM
I was wondering about this the other day. Would have loved to have seen them with some form of toe-clips, like the ones with the strap.
I just like having something...

But, that being said, i might still order a pair. Thanks for the heads up!

oldpotatoe
04-29-2015, 09:41 AM
Howdy!

Wow, back to future...when MTB came with SPD pedals with the plastic platform pedal insert in it. Had a box of those things.

I think these a good idea. Not cheap tho. Gotta swap 'em but good platform pedals are cheaper(MKS).

phcollard
04-29-2015, 09:55 AM
Wow, back to future...when MTB came with SPD pedals with the plastic platform pedal insert in it. Had a box of those things.

I think these a good idea. Not cheap tho. Gotta swap 'em but good platform pedals are cheaper(MKS).

Thanks Peter. I though about swapping too but more of a hassle : put platform pedals for weekday commutes, put back Keos for weekend warrior rides, repeat.

seanile
04-29-2015, 09:58 AM
i didnt quite understand it at first, but once i watched through the video i got really excited. this is a great idea and so much better than having to take pedals on and off. definitely picking up a pair when i have the coin.
will come in very handy in the winter when i frequently switch between boots and clipless

Dired
04-29-2015, 10:33 AM
I have a set from the kickstarter campaign. Only used them a few times, but they don't seem to work reliably with my time rxs pedals because of the lateral click disengagement - very minor movement of the foot will just pop them out. In theory they should work better on a setup with more float/harder disengagement or it might just take some getting used to in street shoes.

one60
04-29-2015, 10:35 AM
wondering if you'd want to raise the saddle for longer rides? The platform appears to add 3 - 4mm to the pedal height.

gavingould
04-29-2015, 12:44 PM
I once took a 2-lap cx course pre-ride in sneakers on Eggbeaters with no adapters. It was snowing and I wasn't ready to change into kit yet...

MattTuck
04-29-2015, 12:54 PM
wondering if you'd want to raise the saddle for longer rides? The platform appears to add 3 - 4mm to the pedal height.

atleast, that much.

Phil, you are going about it all wrong. You need another bike with permanently mounted platform pedals. That is how to handle your situation ;) :banana:

But seriously, if you are only having to change them once a week, I'd vote for platform pedals. It is a pretty quick change to swap out pedals, under 120 seconds for both. If you were having to do it every day, maybe it would get annoying. Other option is to leave street shoes at work and just ride clipless all the time.

brockd15
04-29-2015, 12:54 PM

Exactly what I thought. Dual-sided SPD pedals would come with a plastic platform that clipped into one side and did the same thing.

Dired
04-29-2015, 01:18 PM
I once took a 2-lap cx course pre-ride in sneakers on Eggbeaters with no adapters. It was snowing and I wasn't ready to change into kit yet...

They make a set of platforms for eggbeaters called pub pedals as well, which I coincidentally have. I'd be happy to sell off both pub and fly pedals, they're not seeing any use.

Black Dog
04-29-2015, 01:23 PM
You used to be able to by platforms for delta cleat Look pedals that had a cage and toe straps. I have a set.

Then there are these that work across many platforms:

http://www.gbcycles.co.uk/images/product/prod_36603_1678.jpg

xander
04-29-2015, 06:59 PM
I bought a pair and tried to use them with some Time ATAC pedals and didn't like it at all.Tthe float built into the ATACs made the pedal feel all squirrely under foot. Maybe with different pedals?

Dired
06-23-2015, 06:59 PM
Just an FYI, there is a second version out on KS:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1513937573/fly-pedals-v2-universal-clipless-bike-pedal-adapte

DreaminJohn
06-24-2015, 08:11 AM
You used to be able to by platforms for delta cleat Look pedals that had a cage and toe straps. I have a set.

Then there are these that work across many platforms:

http://www.gbcycles.co.uk/images/product/prod_36603_1678.jpg

I missed this thread the first time around. I have a set of the delta cleat version BNIB that I just found in the garage.

I'll ship free to the first person to PM with any interest. If the recipient is overly moved by my gesture then a small donation to the Forum or Autism Speaks would work, but certainly no obligation.