PDA

View Full Version : Visiting Houston - any good route from downtown?

KJMUNC
04-28-2015, 07:21 PM
Will be in Houston this Thursday and just found out my mtgs don't start until noon. Happen to have my bike with me so I'd like to get in a 30-40mi ride in the AM.

Any suggestions on routes around/from downtown (out and back)? Looking in Strava and Map My Ride, but figured I'd check if there are any locals who know better.

Thanks!

Kerry

texbike
04-28-2015, 08:42 PM
Kerry,

What part of downtown are you going to be in? Also, what kind of riding are you wanting to do? Something with a little effort or just a cruise to see the area?

Probably the easiest from DT is going to be a ride over to Memorial Park and do a few of the loops over there. There are bike trails along Buffalo Bayou and surface streets from DT with lower auto traffic than either Allen Parkway or Memorial Drive that will get you over to the park.

You could also ride over to Hermann Park, around Rice U, and back. Just South of Downtown (and East of 45) there are some cool old neighborhoods that can be pleasant to ride through.

A call to West End Bikes and/or Daniel Boone Cycles could turn up a group ride or other options for you as well.

Have fun!

Texbike

buckfifty
04-29-2015, 02:17 AM
Some of the nicer roads to ride are outside the 610 loop and beltway. Kemah is nice and it's along the water. I live close to pearland and there's isolated farm roads for miles however not much scenery

cinco
04-29-2015, 09:36 AM
Yeah, I know. Name isn't too reassuring. This ride starts at Memorial Park at 6pm Tuesdays and Thursdays. Fast group. Can be as many as 40 riders in evening traffic. If you have that time free, it's a blast. I often do this loop on my own on the weekends just because I can get to it pretty easily from the house. From downtown, I'd just do the loop part and cut out the part that goes out to Memorial Park. http://ridewithgps.com/routes/4940133

Also, the bike path on Buffalo Bayou is really nice and you can make loops entirely off the roadways. http://ridewithgps.com/routes/3669564

Andy in Houston