PDA

View Full Version : MOHS Surgery and time off

Fishy1923
04-28-2015, 02:49 PM
Had MOHS surgery on my forehead (about nickel sized hole) yesterday and the doc said to take 7 days off. That seems excessive to me so I figured I'd check with the internet experts. Anyone here a dermatologist or had MOHS (or similar extraction) on their face before that could offer some insight? My thought is to take 3 full days off and then do light spins on the trainer the 4-5th day and then get back out this weekend.

CNY rider
04-28-2015, 04:21 PM
7 days off work? What kind of work do you do?
7 days off the bicycle?

Fishy1923
04-28-2015, 05:09 PM
Bike!

sfscott
04-28-2015, 05:11 PM
If the doc said 7 days is that really a hardship?

Fishy1923
04-28-2015, 05:49 PM
Not a hardship, but if someone were to comment that they had MOHS, was told to take 7 days off but got back on the bike in less than that and everything was OK, then I'd prefer that alternative. It's hard to stay off the bike when your body is physically capable of still riding. Especially in the middle of race season.

csm
04-28-2015, 05:52 PM
Yeah what do those doctors know anyway?
I think I'd follow his advice. Or maybe call for clarification.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

CNY rider
04-28-2015, 06:01 PM
Not a hardship, but if someone were to comment that they had MOHS, was told to take 7 days off but got back on the bike in less than that and everything was OK, then I'd prefer that alternative. It's hard to stay off the bike when your body is physically capable of still riding. Especially in the middle of race season.

It doesn't matter what someone else did, or if it turned out fine.
Your Doctor may have done 5 different surgeries that morning and given 5 different sets of post-op instructions. What he told the guy before you may be totally incorrect care for your particular case.

Just chill for 7 days.

93legendti
04-28-2015, 08:08 PM
Follow the advice.

SPOKE
04-28-2015, 08:10 PM
Probably not a great idea to have the surgery site covered in sweat and dirt that happens when you ride.

dlflemingos
04-28-2015, 08:21 PM
Think the goal is to not raise your HR and BP to damage the healing or worse. It might be slightly different if it's not on your face but don't think they do the complicated Moh's surgery unless it's visible.
I'm sure he's being conservative to cover the worst case but who'd be willing to take a chance? Let us know how it turns out.

malbecman
04-28-2015, 09:37 PM
I've had Moh's twice now (lucky me). There is no real risk to going back to work the next day; you may feel a little extra tired or burned out. You also wont look the greatest at work with the large bandage on you and lots of questions. The main thing is to keep the wound moist with vasoline or similar material and prevent scabbing. Scabbing of a wound is what leads to scar tissue formation.

I would avoid cycling or anything that significantly runs your heart rate up to 150 bpm until there is a little wound closure occurs (~ 4 days), otherwise you will get some wound leakage occuring and possible tearing of the stitches. I have been otherwise fine commuting to work 3 miles at 12-15 mph.

If the docs say take the time, though, and you got the leave, then go enjoy life!!! :hello:

mcteague
04-29-2015, 06:18 AM
I had MOHS for a spot on my face and had zero time off work. Did not see the need to nor did the doc recommend it. He did suggest not riding the bike for a few days but that was it. The only worry was disturbing the stitches I think.

Tim

Fishy1923
04-29-2015, 07:01 AM
Thanks all for the replies. I am only talking about taking time off the bike, not work, as I was back to work the same day. I should have been more clear.

I was hoping for a few devils in my left ear telling me to go ride my bike! Ha. I know to listen to the doc and that I'll be able to bounce back quickly, but it's still hard to stay off the bike.

dlflemingos
04-29-2015, 12:33 PM
The old method was to cut out a huge chunk with sufficient margin which isn't so great in the facial area. With Moh's they cut a much smaller area and examine under a microscope to make sure they've gotten it all. After each cut they cauterize the broken blood vessels and you relax for up to 60mins while with the open but covered wound whilst they check the margins with the microscope. It can take 1 to 5 or so iterations to make sure they get it all with the smallest amount of tissue removed.
When they close it up they are hoping that the blood cells will heal or maybe even fuse and there are broken nerves too. During the healing, the increased blood pressure might damage the healing of these small blood vessels and maybe the worse complications listed above. The HR limit may seem excessive but when I've had the procedure, I decided not to take chances and followed the doctors instructions.

thwart
04-29-2015, 12:49 PM
Probably not a great idea to have the surgery site covered in sweat and dirt that happens when you ride.

I think this is the primary reason. Keeping a wound dry (other than antibiotic ointment or similar) for a few days is important. Seven days may be a bit of overkill, but surgeons are much more interested in their results than your cycling.

eippo1
04-29-2015, 01:22 PM
I'd agree with the above since facial capillaries are really suceptible to blood pressure etc and it's on your face, man. Why risk it?

I had a huge section of skin taken out for a mole on my chest the day before a weeklong backpacking trip and was fine, but that wasn't my face. Also, my skin had so gone into overdrive from the rubbing etc, that the stitches were fully buried under my skin after the hike.

Ken C
04-29-2015, 01:31 PM
Twice for me as well. I received the same advice and both times I took the full 7 days off from cycling. It was really hard, but I went for walks instead (keeping the wound covered from the sun). I may have been fine after 4 days, but why risk it? 7 days is a pretty short period of time in the overall scheme of things. Both of mine were on my nose so I wanted to give both wounds the best chance to heal well.

I've had Moh's twice now (lucky me). There is no real risk to going back to work the next day; you may feel a little extra tired or burned out. You also wont look the greatest at work with the large bandage on you and lots of questions. The main thing is to keep the wound moist with vasoline or similar material and prevent scabbing. Scabbing of a wound is what leads to scar tissue formation.

I would avoid cycling or anything that significantly runs your heart rate up to 150 bpm until there is a little wound closure occurs (~ 4 days), otherwise you will get some wound leakage occuring and possible tearing of the stitches. I have been otherwise fine commuting to work 3 miles at 12-15 mph.

If the docs say take the time, though, and you got the leave, then go enjoy life!!! :hello:

BAL
04-29-2015, 01:45 PM
Please stay off the bike for the 7 days and even after that take it easy. My 30 year old daughter had MOHR surgery on two basal cell skin cancers on her forehead and on about day 3 she went to her aerobics class. One of the wound sites ended up bleeding below the skin and collecting under the skin in such a way it became a problem with the healing and scaring of the wound. Given the prominance of the forehead site, you want to do anything to have the wound heal up as well and as soon as possible.

BAL
04-29-2015, 01:50 PM
Let's not forget this thread is a good opportunity to remind all of us to be sure to use sunscreen. I have had about 8 basel cell skin cancers cut off and my 30 something year old kids have already had a couple of basel cell skin cancers cut-out.

It's not fun to mess with the sunscreen but both young and old riders enjoying our sport need to go to the trouble to reduce the risk of skin cancer.

Fishy1923
04-29-2015, 03:35 PM
Why risk it? Because my category 3 upgrade is on the line!!! In all seriousness, i fully understand how silly it is for me to be impatient about it. I will play it safe.

In regards to the awareness post, I figured I'd tell the full story to maybe help. 2 years ago I went to my pcp and asked for a referral for a dermatologist as I'd never had a check up and was curious about this spot. He said he could look me over and said the spot was a sweat blister and nothing to worry about. The spot is right where my helmet contacts my forehead so a sweat blister made sense. He charged me $100 to freeze it and sent me on my way. It never went away and here I am now. In his defense, I never went back to say it never went away but didn't think it was a big deal as he matter of factly said it was just a sweat blister.

Moral of the story, get yearly checkups by a dermatologist and not a PCP!

thwart
04-29-2015, 08:02 PM
Moral of the story, get yearly checkups by a dermatologist and not a PCP!
That would be roughly analogous to saying a bike mechanic who wasn't very skilled in dealing with Campy components screwed up my bike, so never let anyone other than a certified Campy pro work on yours.

classtimesailer
04-30-2015, 03:25 PM
I had MOHS about 4 months ago. If the doc told me to take time off the bike, I didn't hear him. Now, when I had two back to back OHS, i took 13 weeks off.