PDA

View Full Version : Considering Cost of Removal Tools....Campy UT Seems cheaper than PT?

Ralph
04-28-2015, 11:42 AM
Been using square taper cranksets all my life. Thinking about buying a new ourboard bearing Campy crankset for bike with a standard threaded BB. I do all my on wrenching, and would figure eventually to have to pull the crank for maintenance, and eventually have to replace the bearings. So better figure on bearing puller, and a crankarm puller for Power Torque.

Power TQ tools for pulling crank arm and bearings from Park around $120 or so....more or less. For UT....I've already got a long 10 MM tool, but would have to buy a cup tool...about $20.

So seems to me....figuring tool cost, no reason not to get the Chorus and up Ultra TQ crankset. Am I figuring this right? And I might add.....in some ways, I like the design (believe bearing larger on PT) of the PT better, the way the arm attaches, even though it's a lower level Campagnolo crankset. Whole thing doesn't make sense to me. Makes me wonder why we ever left square taper.

acorn_user
04-28-2015, 11:57 AM
You can probably find a new old stock Centaur or Athena UT crank if you look hard. I think Velomine has some.

sokyroadie
04-28-2015, 12:08 PM
I just bought a cheap (under $20.00) 3 jaw gear puller set from Harbor Freight plus a cheap allen set for sockets from them, and it has worked great both times I have installed/pulled a PT crank.

Probably less than $35.00 total.

Jeff

merlinmurph
04-28-2015, 12:48 PM
For UT, I didn't see you mention a bearing puller. I got a Park one for ~$60.

Ralph
04-28-2015, 12:55 PM
For UT, I didn't see you mention a bearing puller. I got a Park one for ~$60.

Ah...Forgot....so eventually one needs a bearing puller for both. That takes some of the difference away.

Black Dog
04-28-2015, 01:04 PM
You also need the cup tool for both. You can pull the bearings with a cheap two jaw puller and set the new ones with a section of pvc or copper pipe.