PDA

View Full Version : Options for carbon disc wheelset

dolface
04-27-2015, 11:04 PM
I'm in the market for a new set of do-everything wheels and could use some input.

I think my best option is to wait for a good deal on a used wheelset to show up somewhere but if anyone has a better idea I'd love to hear it.

I'm looking for a 29"/700c, under 1500gm carbon disc (centerlock but willing to be convinced otherwise) tubeless CX/XC 15mm/12x142 wheelset for <$1000

(RANT: That's SIX different standards plus my cheap-ass price-point. I'm looking for a goddamn unicorn with a rainbow mane and a sparkly tail.)

Help?

cinema
04-27-2015, 11:44 PM
I would do carbon rims from light-biycle and buy a swag hubset/rotors with your savings over brand retail. Their rims are excellent unless your comfort zone requires brand name.

adhumston
04-28-2015, 10:46 AM
I've picked up a couple sets of Easton XC wheelsets for a bit over/under $1k (both on closeouts). Both are in the 1400g range and have served me well thus far (see below);

I'm running the last generation EC90 XC wheelset (tubeless wheels w the red accents on them) on my Ibis Hakkalugi for gravel duty. I'm running them tubeless with Bontrager XR0 tires (not tubeless tires) and setup was a snap. I probably have 2-3k miles on them and have had absolutely zero issues. I typically run around 35 psi front and 38 psi rear (38c front/34c rear width), but I'm a relative LW at 150lbs or so.

I'm also running a set of the EC70 XC on my Ibis Ripley. These are NOT tubeless specific wheels, but I did not have any problem setting them up that way w Stan's yellow tape. I believe I currently have a set of Gaex tires on there, but will switch to Schwalbe NN soon (got the Gaex really cheap, but not terribly impressed). These wheels were obviously more of a pain to set up TL, but by far not the worst I've done.
I can't comment on the reliability as much on these, as I probably only have 300 miles on them, but so far so good. They've held the tires on just fine, and I have run some ridiculously low pressures (i.e. under 20 psi). They've also been used beyond what most would consider "XC".

I know some people have had problems with Easton wheels in the past, but I THINK a lot of those issues have been remedied. One definite positive is that the freewheel swap on the R4 hubs is about as easy as it gets. There also among the lighter wheelsets you can get.

ergott
04-28-2015, 11:47 AM
I'll throw a plug for Nox Composite rims. I built up 2 sets last weekend (one for myself). Very well made rims. The 29" Skyline rims are 340g. Customer went with Chris King Classics and I went for Son28 dyno front and White Industries rear. Great having options.

http://ergottwheels.smugmug.com/Cycling/Wheels/i-wKLdbxg/0/X2/20150426_122055-X2.jpg
http://ergottwheels.smugmug.com/Cycling/Wheels/i-89Xx5wv/0/X2/20150427_072529-X2.jpg
http://ergottwheels.smugmug.com/Cycling/Wheels/i-MwjmG9m/0/X2/20150425_131735-X2.jpg

adhumston
04-28-2015, 02:38 PM
I'll throw a plug for Nox Composite rims. I built up 2 sets last weekend (one for myself). Very well made rims. The 29" Skyline rims are 340g. Customer went with Chris King Classics and I went for Son28 dyno front and White Industries rear. Great having options.

If either of those can be built for under $1k, sign me up!

I actually looked really hard at the Nox Skyline rims built to I9 Torch or King hubs and it was going to be about $1500 +/- if I remember right. I still may go that route eventually, as I'm not sure a better wheelset could be built (arguably Enve being an upgrade), but when the Easton EC70 Xc wheelset popped up for $900, I jumped!