PDA

View Full Version : the "wiener" approach to solving the pothole problem

eddief
04-27-2015, 10:08 PM
maybe time to take a spray can on your next ride:

http://www.fastcodesign.com/3045488/slicker-city/anonymous-activist-gets-potholes-fixed-by-drawing-giant-penises-around-them?partner=rss&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=feedburner+fastcodesign&utm_content=feedburner#2

Louis
04-27-2015, 10:13 PM
Someday those will be worth tens of thousands of £

ultraman6970
04-27-2015, 11:01 PM
Gonna have to start doing that here.

SlowPokePete
04-28-2015, 05:12 AM
Too funny...

You'd go through a lot of spray paint around here.

SPP

oldpotatoe
04-28-2015, 07:11 AM
maybe time to take a spray can on your next ride:

http://www.fastcodesign.com/3045488/slicker-city/anonymous-activist-gets-potholes-fixed-by-drawing-giant-penises-around-them?partner=rss&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=feedburner+fastcodesign&utm_content=feedburner#2

There's a place on Arapahoe here in the republic, where the on street bike lane transitions to an 'on sidewalk' bike lane. As you go to the sidewalk, there is a raised portion of the curb that is almost invisible. I smacked it recently..took pictures and sent it to the street goons here. They said, 'too bad so sad'. I mentioned I'm gonna go out and paint it red or yellow..and they mentioned being arrested for vandalism...should have just painted the damn thing.

tumbler
04-28-2015, 07:52 AM
"I wanted to attract attention to the pothole and make it memorable," Wanksy told MEN. "Nothing seemed to do this better than a giant comedy phallus."

We should start an activist wing of Paceline to paint giant dancing bananas (mildly phallic) around potholes to see if it has the same effect. :banana:

gemship
04-28-2015, 07:55 AM
That really would be a lot of spray paint but it would be fun to paint dicks on the road:p

AJosiahK
04-28-2015, 08:02 AM
Haha wow.

Whole new level of street 'art'

Lewis Moon
04-28-2015, 08:06 AM
Aren't there enough dicks on the road already? :rolleyes:

Veloo
04-28-2015, 08:06 AM
I'll put on my black ninja kit and do this for Toronto late at night.

eippo1
04-28-2015, 09:06 AM
Great idea. Also chaulk is mostly quiet unlike spraypaint, so even better.

Saint Vitus
04-28-2015, 09:17 AM
Awesome! A whole new art movement!

572cv
04-28-2015, 09:31 AM
This public protest was extremely well considered. The Wanksy reference to Banksy, the famous UK graffiti artist, is droll and anticipated the bunch of wankers in public office who immediately decried the images (pardon me if my use of another nation's swear word is incorrectly done). The use of chalk or crayons avoided the moral stigma of defacement. It washes off. The issue highlighted was a public frustration that could be immediately obvious to anyone. And it got results.

I hope that this kind of creativity and fundamentally intelligent effort can be inspiring to the cycling community. Someone posted that great Canadian cycling promotional video recently (couldn't remember the heading). What else can be done to cleverly, and with humor, improve safely, tolerance, and respect on all of our highways and byways?

(1K posts, hey!)

JAllen
04-28-2015, 10:45 AM
572cv congrats on a grand of posts.

Man the city of Portland would be one gigantic wiener. Two streets right around the corner from me have NEVER been paved. Ever.

eddief
04-28-2015, 11:07 AM
a couple of our guys scour the entire route and attempt to mark every seemingly dangerous crack and pothole with orange spray paint. Maybe next year each crack should become a Wanksy :)

rwsaunders
04-28-2015, 11:27 AM
Why waste a perfectly good pothole, when you can turn a challenge into an opportunity...

JAllen
04-28-2015, 12:01 PM
You know, the wiener thing also is useful in that before they can fix it it also gets your attention. It's pretty easy to notice a phallic painting on the ground. safety first!

Henrythewound
04-28-2015, 01:26 PM
Nice touch with the Wanksy moniker. Around here we just run street sweepers over cracked and potholed streets to fling chunks of blacktop out across the street and onto sidewalks. It's a great use of resources

eddief
04-29-2015, 08:16 AM
I like where this is going.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/04/27/artist-penis-potholes-wanksy_n_7149810.html

Seramount
04-29-2015, 08:29 AM
hadn't thought of the penis portrait angle, but I have considered buying a can of high-vis yellow paint to mark some of the worst wheel-breaker holes on my usual in-town route.

thought it might save another cyclist some grief and point out to city crews where the problems are...

hesh0925
04-29-2015, 09:15 AM
A driver started honking and yelling at me today on my way to work because I rode in the middle of the lane to avoid the potholes on the side. :(

If only there were penises drawn on them. He might have sympathized then.

JAllen
04-29-2015, 10:37 AM
If only there were penises drawn on them. He might have sympathized then.

That's the key to sharing the road! Male genitalia! :banana:

JLP
04-29-2015, 09:45 PM
Where I live there is a trail where people leave dog poops. Someone has been spray painting circles around the poop and pointing arrows to the poop and labeling the as "Feces!"

This little war has been going on for over a year.

Cracks me up.

cinema
04-29-2015, 10:15 PM
Where I live there is a trail where people leave dog poops. Someone has been spray painting circles around the poop and pointing arrows to the poop and labeling the as "Feces!"

This little war has been going on for over a year.

Cracks me up.

That's great. around here it's usually a mix of human and dog doo. I actually had a similar idea re potholes, I pondered whether spray painting a swastika across them would get something done. never did anything about it because i truly believe our public works system would just learn to live with hundreds of swastikas around the city. (I'm a jew, fwiw).

JAllen
04-30-2015, 09:11 AM
That's great. around here it's usually a mix of human and dog doo. I actually had a similar idea re potholes, I pondered whether spray painting a swastika across them would get something done. never did anything about it because i truly believe our public works system would just learn to live with hundreds of swastikas around the city. (I'm a jew, fwiw).
I think some swastika decals could make national news if it were reported at the right moment (in a lapse between law enforcement violence and riots in the streets). It derail the very objective of street maintenance... but man the look on some people's faces!

InspectorGadget
04-30-2015, 11:27 AM
Shouldn't the pothole be one of the testicles?

rando
04-30-2015, 01:46 PM

I can only leave this. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_law)

eddief
04-30-2015, 02:11 PM
applied to the devolutionary nature of much of what goes on on the internet. Gotta watch for the gems buried beneath the noise.

I can only leave this. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_law)

bcroslin
04-30-2015, 09:07 PM
Any idea what type of "washable" paint he's using?

hartmmike
05-01-2015, 08:18 AM
http://www.crankycreative.com/sandbox/blog/bid/20272/Canadian-Speed-Control-Illusions-Using-Repositionable-Graphics

oldpotatoe
05-01-2015, 08:28 AM
http://www.crankycreative.com/sandbox/blog/bid/20272/Canadian-Speed-Control-Illusions-Using-Repositionable-Graphics

http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/story/25425901/hit-it-or-ticket-rosemount-driver-cited-for-avoiding-pothole

redir
05-01-2015, 03:02 PM
Aren't there enough dicks on the road already? :rolleyes:

Drum roll!

Tony T
05-01-2015, 03:41 PM
And the typical bureaucratic response is….
A Bury council spokesman points out that "Every penny that we have to spend cleaning off this graffiti is a penny less that we have to spend on actually repairing the potholes!" But in reality, Wanksy’s work isn’t spray-painted on, so the phallic pigments should wash away naturally within a few weeks.