PDA

View Full Version : Do you grind down the lawyer tabs on your forks?

Louis
04-19-2006, 07:21 PM
So far I haven't but I'm thinking about doing it.

I have one bike that does not have the tabs, and every time I take the front wheel off I'm reminded of how nice it is to not have them on there...

jerk
04-19-2006, 07:23 PM
yes.

catulle
04-19-2006, 07:23 PM
Oh no...!! A thread on lawyers? It'll never end, atmo. :rolleyes:

e-RICHIE
04-19-2006, 07:24 PM
lawyer tabs are always padded.
remove excess immediately atmo.

Too Tall
04-19-2006, 07:42 PM
A lovely rattail bar-stard + a cold one.
Get the hence!

ergott
04-19-2006, 08:04 PM
Colnago Star fork (sold)
Serotta F2 fork

no tabs :banana:

I haven't had tabs on a road bike since 2000.

DfCas
04-19-2006, 08:18 PM
I file them off of rim brake bikes,but I leave them on with disc brakes.

shaq-d
04-19-2006, 08:20 PM
i like'm

sd

chrisroph
04-19-2006, 08:30 PM
Heck yes, those things are dangerous.

kestrel
04-19-2006, 08:42 PM
Yes! How in the world can you possibly balance the darn bike and work the yakima/thule QR rack at the same time.

nobrakes
04-19-2006, 10:59 PM
Absolutely every time. Know lawyers, some I like, but not on a dropout.

Bill Bove
04-20-2006, 03:45 AM
Always, royal pita.

The Spider
04-20-2006, 04:28 AM
Shocked to find them on aq pair of German forks....but they are GONE now.

cydewaze
04-20-2006, 08:05 AM
Unfortunately my fork doesn't have tabs. It has a recessed area that the skewer sinks into. So I'm not sure on how to deal with that. :(

Had no tabs up until last year when I got a new frame/fork on warranty, and it had the fork described above.

Ginger
04-20-2006, 08:11 AM
Louis, you missed a choice:
My brand new fork on my road bike didn't come with lawyer tabs. :)

I leave them on my mountain bike fork. Just because if something stupid and once in a lifetime is going to happen on a mountain bike, it will. To me. This weekend. :rolleyes:

Bobbo
04-20-2006, 09:48 AM
If you race and flat, the best way to piss off the mavic neutral service guys is to let them struggle with doing a fast wheel change with your stupid lawyer tabs. If you know how to operate a quick release, get rid of 'em.

Samster
04-20-2006, 09:59 AM
i like'm
sd
why? enquiring minds want to know...

Samster
04-20-2006, 10:01 AM
So far I haven't but I'm thinking about doing it.

I have one bike that does not have the tabs, and every time I take the front wheel off I'm reminded of how nice it is to not have them on there...
nothing more dangerous than an aerospace engineer with a Dremel tool. ;)

Louis
04-20-2006, 10:10 AM
nothing more dangerous than an aerospace engineer with a Dremel tool. ;)

True, we're pretty clueless when it comes to actually manufacturing things. However, since we are so conservative when it comes to analysis that tends to carry over to when we start cutting / grinding metal. If you ever see a table or any other home structure designed by a Strength engineer you would conclude that it could support a tank.

Samster
04-20-2006, 10:18 AM
FROM NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC DOT COM****
"The Sampoong Department store in Seoul, South Korea was one of the swankiest stores in town. It had everything under one roof, from a gourmet grocery to high-end clothing and cosmetic boutiques. Many local Koreans, and in particular the city’s movers and shakers, would drop by for their evening meals and errands.

That is, until the evening of June 29th, 1995, when in less than 20 seconds, the mall came crashing down with an estimated 1,500 unsuspecting shoppers and employees inside. Not just a single floor or area, but five stories of the North wing pancaking into the four basements, killing more than 500 people and injuring over 900. There was no sign of a natural disaster, terrorist act, or a wrecking ball in sight. Yet one minute the department store was bustling with diners and shoppers and the next, all five floors were a heap of rubble. It is considered the worst structural collapse of a building in modern history."

Samster
04-20-2006, 10:26 AM
not meant to be an indictment of anyone, especially engineers... the construction methods were shaky and materials sourced were the absolute cheapest from china. many other structures in seoul (and asia in general) are of questionable integrity.

i posted this particular reference because that mall was right next to the seoul courthouses. many of those killed were the wives of very powerful lawyers who made sure the builders and business people backing/running the mall were duly addressed... this thread being about "lawyer-tabs" and all.

shaq-d
04-20-2006, 11:15 AM
why? enquiring minds want to know...

ohhh just piece of mind. i don't race on my lawyer tabbed bike, i just noodle and train at fat-burning pace... so if i flat, it's an extra 10 seconds i don't mind.

sd