PDA

View Full Version : Red Hook Crit

Chris
04-27-2015, 12:43 PM
I was in NYC this weekend, and coincidentally, the Red Hook Crit was going on. The wife and I went over to watch. It's an impressive race. I have ridden fixed gear some in winter training so I can appreciate the effort involved, but I wasn't as enthralled with it like it had been built up to be. Buddies who had been were all about it being something that you HAD to see. I'm not a fan of seeing people crash, and fortunately there was only one that I saw in the women's race, but it seems that racing on a fixed gear prevents some of the excitement of the surging and attacking that comes from geared crit racing. It's not a criticism of the event. I did enjoy myself, I guess I just didn't fully get it.

osu cycling
04-28-2015, 01:51 AM
I noticed a bunch of Leader team riders were at Red Hook. As someone who followed the brand from their early eBay selling days 10+ years ago, it's interesting to see how the company has evolved over time and plunged head first into the fixed gear scene.

jr59
04-28-2015, 05:46 AM
Yea, a female friend of mine, Tori Duke crashed out on the last lap. Thankfully she's fine.

hesh0925
04-28-2015, 11:39 AM
I heard there was a pretty nasty crash in the men's qualifying round. I think it was a member of team Cinelli Chrome. Stitches to the face were involved, or so I'm told.

eBAUMANN
04-28-2015, 12:06 PM
I heard there was a pretty nasty crash in the men's qualifying round. I think it was a member of team Cinelli Chrome. Stitches to the face were involved, or so I'm told.

faz adhili, face into pavement, photo is all over instagram. a surprising amount of crashes in qualifying this year, usually its pretty incident free.

i do the RHC every year just for fun, so do a few others on here. every year gets more and more serious with competition from abroad, it really is more of a european series at this point (only 1/3 of the main race finishers were americans). a lot of guys are super aggressive and serious about it, personally, i just like going fast on a track bike on a closed course, not often you have the chance to ride like that.

hesh0925
04-28-2015, 12:43 PM
Dang, that doesn't sound fun. Did he crash on his own or collide with someone else?

eBAUMANN
04-28-2015, 02:27 PM
Dang, that doesn't sound fun. Did he crash on his own or collide with someone else?

in the photos he is on his own at the hairpin 180 (i think) - i didnt see it happen.

nooneline
04-28-2015, 02:33 PM
I think it's cute that some people don't race RHC because "it's all pros now," but others still call it "that hipster race."

eBAUMANN
04-28-2015, 02:47 PM
I think it's cute that some people don't race RHC because "it's all pros now," but others still call it "that hipster race."

its only a hipster race through qualifying...whoever has the fastest fingers on the internet to register gets in, no matter how fast they might be.

the guys in the main event are seriously fast, a fair amount of them are pros from various other cycling disciplines, as the prize money at the RHC is actually pretty significant.

the CROWD, on the other hand, is definitely of the "hipster/fixie kid" persuasion...its probably one of the most irritating things about the event, for me at least.

beeatnik
04-28-2015, 03:26 PM
A mini-Red Hook, the Wolfpack Hustle Civic Center Crit might be the only permitted bike race in the center of a major US metropolis. The participants are heart attack serious. It all started with a night ride called Wolfpack Hustle, which ironically enough, faded away as the official Wolfpack Hustle events (Civic Center Crit, Drag Race, Shoreline Crit) began to gain traction. Also, ironically, the ride itself was so past paced and treacherous that 90% of the riders were on road bikes. But, now the road bike aspect of the "crits" is secondary. Track bikes are still sexy to young, urban riders.

https://vimeo.com/100636098

http://www.laweekly.com/news/street-tough-racers-fight-for-supremacy-in-las-underground-cycling-world-5368780

eBAUMANN
04-28-2015, 03:36 PM
A mini-Red Hook, the Wolfpack Hustle Civic Center Crit might be the only permitted bike race in the center of a major US metropolis. The participants are heart attack serious. It all started with a night ride called Wolfpack Hustle, which ironically enough, faded away as the official Wolfpack Hustle events (Civic Center Crit, Drag Race, Shoreline Crit) began to gain traction. Also, ironically, the ride itself was so past paced and treacherous that 90% of the riders were on road bikes. But, now the road bike aspect of the "crits" is secondary. Track bikes are still sexy to young, urban riders.

https://vimeo.com/100636098

http://www.laweekly.com/news/street-tough-racers-fight-for-supremacy-in-las-underground-cycling-world-5368780

LA + YOUNG, URBAN RIDERS + TRACK BIKES = hipsters

Hipsters can be serious about racing too, but they are still hipsters...
The majority of participants in any track bike crit are racing for internet fame/street cred, all in the hope of one day being #fixiefamous or getting a photo of themselves posted on the radavist...

Its the hypebeast/"fixie"/urban culture that spawned all of these races, so its a bit hard to claim they are detached from that scene, even now.

beeatnik
04-28-2015, 03:45 PM
I hear ya...but....

In LA, the only kids who "train" on track bikes are brown (or black). And as the LA Weekly story indelicately reports, many of them come from disadvantaged socioeconomic backgrounds. In other words, for some cycling is the new bball. Get sponsored, yo!

A few weeks ago, I met a hippie from Portland who asked me why so many poor kids (ie, brown and black) rode single speed bikes in LA. It's a little different here.

eBAUMANN
04-28-2015, 03:47 PM
I hear ya...but....

In LA, the only kids who "train" on track bikes are brown (or black). And as the LA Weekly story indelicately reports, many of them come from disadvantaged socioeconomic backgrounds. In other words, for some cycling is the new bball. Get sponsored, yo!

A few weeks ago, I met a hippie from Portland who asked me why so many poor kids (ie, brown and black) rode single speed bikes in LA. It's a little different here.

Are you suggesting that they can't be hipsters because they are brown/black?

beeatnik
04-28-2015, 03:52 PM
Are you suggesting that they can't be hipsters because they are brown/black?

Well, they can if they leave their segregated communities (90063 in Los Angeles is the most segregated census tract in the US). They can if they begin to adopt the hipster worldview (which for many is socioeconomically dependent). I guess if we strip away the geographic, cultural, educational and economic entitlements which define the hipster lifestyle, then, ya, they can become hipsters. But first they have to get into Oberlin....:butt:

eBAUMANN
04-28-2015, 04:09 PM
i guess im speaking about "urban cycling," specifically on track bikes, and the culture that spawned all fixed gear crits/alleycats, "messenger culture" - maybe hipster isnt really the right word, as it clearly has meaning that extends beyond just cycling.

so yea, not sure if hipster is the right word for it, but its something...and whatever it is...its based around internet hype/trends, which i guess is what i find irritating about the whole scene.

beeatnik
04-28-2015, 04:19 PM
so yea, not sure if hipster is the right word for it, but its something...and whatever it is...its based around internet hype/trends, which i guess is what i find irritating about the whole scene.

don't get me started on that....

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8684/17118580969_41a43c0116_c.jpg

https://screen.yahoo.com/jeannie-darcy-3-000000185.html

ptourkin
04-28-2015, 06:21 PM
LA + YOUNG, URBAN RIDERS + TRACK BIKES = hipsters

Hipsters can be serious about racing too, but they are still hipsters...
The majority of participants in any track bike crit are racing for internet fame/street cred, all in the hope of one day being #fixiefamous or getting a photo of themselves posted on the radavist...

Its the hypebeast/"fixie"/urban culture that spawned all of these races, so its a bit hard to claim they are detached from that scene, even now.

Disagree. I know a number of people from San Diego who went out to race RHC and are high level racers on the track and road. I don't think any of them went out of their way to get Prolly to notice them.

bcroslin
04-28-2015, 06:48 PM
i guess im speaking about "urban cycling," specifically on track bikes, and the culture that spawned all fixed gear crits/alleycats, "messenger culture" - maybe hipster isnt really the right word, as it clearly has meaning that extends beyond just cycling.

All the hipsters moved on to CX or haven't you heard?

I don't care who you are or what you're into. If you like to ride bikes you're OK with me. Even hipsters.

Frankwurst
04-28-2015, 07:05 PM
I don't care who you are or what you're into. If you like to ride bikes you're OK with me. Even hipsters.[/QUOTE]

I couldn't agree more. :beer:

duck
04-28-2015, 07:06 PM
I don't get it either, and I think it's bizarre that it's attracted the attention of more traditional/serious/whatever racers. The format is inherently dangerous and from what I've seen of the courses the race organizers just wanna throw everyone through the fixie meatgrinder for cheap thrills. But like I said, maybe I just don't get it.

I had a lot of bike buddies out there last weekend. Glad none of 'em were hurt.

duck
04-28-2015, 07:08 PM
Wait, nevermind. I figured it out: $$$$$$

brando
04-28-2015, 07:32 PM
Ppl get hung up on the brakeless thing when it's just as safe as any crit. Pros in the same field as guys doing their first crit, now that is something.

duck
04-28-2015, 07:36 PM
Ppl get hung up on the brakeless thing when it's just as safe as any crit. Pros in the same field as guys doing their first crit, now that is something.

Being forced to pedal through the corners is more of an issue. There aren't as many fireworks on your average sunday office park crit, even in the 5s.

shovelhd
04-28-2015, 07:41 PM

That's the biggest concern early on.

GRAVELBIKE
04-28-2015, 08:54 PM
http://www.quickmeme.com/img/bc/bc53f192d0f9fe59296785611a23305915c79d540808916e10 dad16405ecbe4e.jpg

TRACK
04-28-2015, 10:08 PM
please define hipster and dont stereotype.
rhc was extremely fun - i do it every year.

eBAUMANN
04-28-2015, 10:42 PM
Disagree. I know a number of people from San Diego who went out to race RHC and are high level racers on the track and road. I don't think any of them went out of their way to get Prolly to notice them.

The people who actually participate in the RHC main event are high level athletes, 100% agree with that, the field has become insanely deep/competitive in the past 2-3 years.

Ive done 4 red hook races myself and have enjoyed each experience thoroughly.
That said, there is a "fixiefamous/hipster/hypebeast/messlife" vibe that pervades the entire scene...and it irks me a little, thats all.

hesh0925
04-28-2015, 11:22 PM
The people who actually participate in the RHC main event are high level athletes, 100% agree with that, the field has become insanely deep/competitive in the past 2-3 years.

Ive done 4 red hook races myself and have enjoyed each experience thoroughly.
That said, there is a "fixiefamous/hipster/hypebeast/messlife" vibe that pervades the entire scene...and it irks me a little, thats all.

I think that's to be expected though. Any time there's a brakeless track bike being used anywhere other than a velodrome, chances are it's either a messenger or someone who's into that "fixie" culture.

I mean, I myself ride a fixed gear bike around town. I can understand that appeal it has to people.

r_mutt
04-28-2015, 11:23 PM
please define hipster and dont stereotype.

someone who drinks PBR willingly and/or dresses like a character from the "Grapes of Wrath".

beeatnik
04-28-2015, 11:35 PM
r_mutt, I like your dadaist obvious is obvious style

harryschwartzma
04-29-2015, 08:44 AM
You guys do realize that 'fixed gear criteriums' were the only form of racing in the USA through the fifties and into the sixties, right? Riding brakeless fixed gear bikes on closed (or sometimes open, I Imagine) courses was the norm rather than the exception.

http://media.nj.com/ledgerlocal/photo/9551092-large.jpg

HIPSTERS

tv_vt
04-29-2015, 10:19 AM
Wow, three pages and still no video links?

Growing up in the Chicago area, there were fixies all over the place. They were called track bikes back then. But people rode them everywhere. Wasn't uncommon to see them ridden in the Hilly Hundred down in Bloomington, IN.

For city riding, a single speed w/brakes seems perfect to me. Except maybe in SF.

bobswire
04-29-2015, 12:01 PM
Here's how the Red hook crit racers got their start... https://vimeo.com/29762115

mktng
04-29-2015, 12:30 PM
Ive never been. Dont think i'll ever be fit enough to ride that race.
However...id love to go for the weekend next year. Looks like fun.

jr59
04-29-2015, 12:47 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NoMCXz7fpA

seanile
04-29-2015, 12:56 PM
this is a pretty harsh lookin solo crash in the women's field. pedal strike sent her flyingggg. ginger boyd, broken collar bone according to the comments.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqHQwJLfBV0

eBAUMANN
04-29-2015, 01:06 PM
this is a pretty harsh lookin solo crash in the women's field. pedal strike sent her flyingggg. ginger boyd, broken collar bone according to the comments.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqHQwJLfBV0

dont think that was a pedal strike...looks like she just lost traction on her rear wheel and over-corrected, in a turn, at speed. bad combo.

pedal strike isnt really an issue on that course, or maybe ive just gotten lucky, as ive used 172.5mm cranks the past 2 years with no issues whatsoever.

seanile
04-29-2015, 01:23 PM
watched it again..you're right, lost traction.
i've had pedalstrike do that to me before though, and when my rear wheel landed finally the weight of my body spun the seat 45 degrees outward while i almost flipped over like she did. very uncomfortable ride home because i forgot my multi-tool.

fatallightning
04-30-2015, 09:40 AM
Thoughts and ruminations; this was my 5th RHC.

I was in the first qualifying group out on the course, with the scrubs. Qualifying is so backloaded with the heavy hitters that it's almost hopeless. Maybe 2 people made it in out of the first 200 people in qualifying heats. The last groups are stacked with the euro teams that really seem to specialize in fixed gear crit racing that is now so pervasive over there. You have 6 man team trials drilling it, and there is no way in hell you can pull a solo flyer and make the cut. There was actual team in my group, and they were fixie dudes. I was going to work with them, but they were holding me up. I took one solo to get something in the books, and then found some random guy on course to do one more. He was old, but looked fit, and we split the lap. He almost rode me off his wheel at the start/finish. Turned out his name is Jurgen Benneke and he raced pro WC DH from 90-02. DICKIW.

So I was sitting 33rd before the last 2 groups, and got punted to 112 after they finished. So last chance race it was. Felt pretty comfy the whole time, never super deep in the red. Few sketch crashes, but what else is new. They changed the start/finish to the backside after a hairpin, so significantly less room to run it out. This was my first race, and while I have been training, I was missing the little bit of pop out of the dead stop turns. Once I got on top of my gear I was motoring dudes and pulling spots. I may have been slightly overgeared at 48x14, but I didn't have leg speed either, so...

Should have moved up more aggressively in the last 2 laps and just rode from the front instead of trying to jump people from behind. A dude crashed in front on the final turn and took me a few pedal strokes out and some evasive maneuvering. Finished 13th, top 10 moved on. Sigh. Next year.

Only 2 Americans in the top 20, best was Neil Bezdek at 10th. Winner was an ex-pro Italian, rode for Sauvier-Duval and Mercatone Uno. Has raced the Giro, MSR, P-R and DeRonde. ···· is no joke anymore.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/11188286_10100234401734304_9030577230946221199_n.j pg?oh=9a426a42e5e8709fd02ab4ab84ff6b92&oe=55DAB73B&__gda__=1440540815_78897d5eb6dc8c6cda1835b3cd61799 7

Chris
04-30-2015, 10:13 AM
Thoughts and ruminations; this was my 5th RHC.

I was in the first qualifying group out on the course, with the scrubs. Qualifying is so backloaded with the heavy hitters that it's almost hopeless. Maybe 2 people made it in out of the first 200 people in qualifying heats. The last groups are stacked with the euro teams that really seem to specialize in fixed gear crit racing that is now so pervasive over there. You have 6 man team trials drilling it, and there is no way in hell you can pull a solo flyer and make the cut. There was actual team in my group, and they were fixie dudes. I was going to work with them, but they were holding me up. I took one solo to get something in the books, and then found some random guy on course to do one more. He was old, but looked fit, and we split the lap. He almost rode me off his wheel at the start/finish. Turned out his name is Jurgen Benneke and he raced pro WC DH from 90-02. DICKIW.

So I was sitting 33rd before the last 2 groups, and got punted to 112 after they finished. So last chance race it was. Felt pretty comfy the whole time, never super deep in the red. Few sketch crashes, but what else is new. They changed the start/finish to the backside after a hairpin, so significantly less room to run it out. This was my first race, and while I have been training, I was missing the little bit of pop out of the dead stop turns. Once I got on top of my gear I was motoring dudes and pulling spots. I may have been slightly overgeared at 48x14, but I didn't have leg speed either, so...

Should have moved up more aggressively in the last 2 laps and just rode from the front instead of trying to jump people from behind. A dude crashed in front on the final turn and took me a few pedal strokes out and some evasive maneuvering. Finished 13th, top 10 moved on. Sigh. Next year.

Only 2 Americans in the top 20, best was Neil Bezdek at 10th. Winner was an ex-pro Italian, rode for Sauvier-Duval and Mercatone Uno. Has raced the Giro, MSR, P-R and DeRonde. ···· is no joke anymore.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/11188286_10100234401734304_9030577230946221199_n.j pg?oh=9a426a42e5e8709fd02ab4ab84ff6b92&oe=55DAB73B&__gda__=1440540815_78897d5eb6dc8c6cda1835b3cd61799 7

This is great insight and kind of what I was asking about. So, let me ask this; compared to "normal" crit racing which seems to have more tempo surges and attacks, the races I watched seemed to reach a critical speed and then just hold. I get that being a feature of fixed gear to an extent, but it seems to eliminate the possibility of making a big attack like you can in geared racing where you dump the chain down the cog and sprint up the other side of the road. Is that right? How do you get away from the group other than to burn them off the wheels and cause gaps when people can't keep the pace?

nooneline
04-30-2015, 10:31 AM
This is great insight and kind of what I was asking about. So, let me ask this; compared to "normal" crit racing which seems to have more tempo surges and attacks, the races I watched seemed to reach a critical speed and then just hold. I get that being a feature of fixed gear to an extent, but it seems to eliminate the possibility of making a big attack like you can in geared racing where you dump the chain down the cog and sprint up the other side of the road. Is that right? How do you get away from the group other than to burn them off the wheels and cause gaps when people can't keep the pace?

If that's the case then it sounds like a high-level scratch race on the track. You wouldn't fathom the high average speeds an elite scratch race can hold - the tactic is to go bloody fast, shed the weight, and wait for everybody to be completely incapable of doing anything. And that's when the strong guys do something.

eBAUMANN
04-30-2015, 10:59 AM

Spot on. A pace is set early, with slight yo-yo'ing happening at the turns on either end of the course, and then held for the majority of the race before someone decides to crank it up another notch and split the group. Another major factor is the crashes, as they will split up the race more effectively than anything.

I did the last chance race and the average speed over 15 laps/10 miles was 25mph.

brando
04-30-2015, 12:32 PM
Thanks for the report fatallightning. Sounds like it was fun even if you just missed out on the main. Also, looks like you brought a pretty serious rig to race!

fatallightning
04-30-2015, 03:43 PM
Much less surge-y then a normal crit, which is the only reason it's halfway safe. It's high speed single file and you blow people out the back door. Once the splits start to happen, people get pulled and lapped pretty fast. It's also super hard to close other people's gaps if you don't have the leg speed. Definitely tough to pull an attack and hold it, you have to hope someone or 3 comes with and you can use the agility to stay away. It's very hard to recover also, since slowing down takes just as much effort as jumping back on your gear. That out of the saddle effort jumping out the hairpin starts to hurt real bad after a few laps.

chasea
04-30-2015, 10:43 PM
I have a few issues with the race, but it's not exactly my thing. I've gone, and had fun hanging with friends, half-watching, heckling, whatever. AFIK, the Trimble's still don't have event insurance, despite taking on larger sponsors like Cinelli and Giro. One day that'll probably comeback to bite everyone in the ass, but whatever, it's not my bike race. Was present for the BK Navy Yard edition with the added last-minute chicane that included a front-and-center manhole cover with two strips of grip tape. Sat in that chicane in my wheelchair, hearing the scraping of metal and the thuds of bodies hitting the deck. 5 guys finished that race.

This year I closed the club and headed home to a sick dog, so I didn't make the race. Checked the qualifying times, texted all of my coworkers to see if it was indeed that Jurgen Beneke. No one responded, and I felt really old.

ceya
05-01-2015, 01:00 AM
I wish I could race it but I can dream.

S/F,
CEYA!