PDA

View Full Version : the strangest thing happened to me today

ivanooze
04-27-2015, 12:35 AM
so for those of you that remember me, im the guy that posted about my front derailleur not shifting to the lower chainring.
-anways, i just finished the belgian waffle ride with no front derailleur issues whatsoever. and trust me when i say, i was shifting my front derailleur like there was no tomorrow. i think i found a way in which to switch my front der. at almost anytime i want, it all has to do with me simultaneously shifting both my front and rear der. worked like a charm.

jtakeda
04-27-2015, 12:55 AM
Thats a recipe for throwing your RD into your back wheel.

Be careful doing that.

ivanooze
04-27-2015, 01:30 AM
i had to do it, otherwise i would have never have gotten past some of the climbs that were on the course. luckily everything on my bike stayed intact

Steelman
04-27-2015, 01:53 AM

Be careful doing that.

Or your chain into your chainstay.

fogrider
04-27-2015, 02:27 AM
i had to do it, otherwise i would have never have gotten past some of the climbs that were on the course. luckily everything on my bike stayed intact

so you waited until the last second and shifted the front and rear at the same time? ok...just make sure you stand and put as much load on it as possible at the same time!

Cicli
04-27-2015, 04:47 AM
I am confused.:confused:

marciero
04-27-2015, 05:13 AM
so for those of you that remember me, im the guy that posted about my front derailleur not shifting to the lower chainring.
-anways, i just finished the belgian waffle ride with no front derailleur issues whatsoever. and trust me when i say, i was shifting my front derailleur like there was no tomorrow. i think i found a way in which to switch my front der. at almost anytime i want, it all has to do with me simultaneously shifting both my front and rear der. worked like a charm.

Sometimes chain tension under load combined with the angle of the chain when cross-chaining big-big puts enough outward force on the deraileur to prevent it from releasing and derailing the chain. I usually lighten up slightly for a moment. Also, is good practice to shift before you are at the point where you are overgeared and cross-chaining on a hill. That said, I thought modern deraileurs were designed to shift under load, or in fact under any conditions, esp when used as part of an integrated group. Sometimes changing chain ring size can throw that all off.

It's also funny that in another thread everyone was advocating shifting on the front and rear simultaneously to mitigate large difference in chainring teeth, while here it's all dire warnings and sarcasm.

thirdgenbird
04-27-2015, 07:23 AM

Be careful doing that.

I've done more than my share of front/rear shifting and the rear limit screw has always done is job.

Fatty
04-27-2015, 09:23 AM
with no front derailleur issues

Ummm, something still is not right.
Front derailleurs are one of the simplest components on the bike, but can be tricky to set up. Might want to give another shoot at tuning it, life is good with a drivetrain that plays along.

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/front-derailleur-adjustments

Black Dog
04-27-2015, 09:31 AM
I really don't see the big deal in simultaneous shifting. If the FD and RD are set up properly and a chain catcher is used there is really no risk of a problem. Been doing this for nearly 30 years on every set up imaginable and have yet to have a catastrophic event as warned about in this thread. With new systems this can often be done under load.

Dead Man
04-27-2015, 09:32 AM

How so?

Mark McM
04-27-2015, 12:30 PM
How so?

I'd like to know, too. I frequently shift both derailleurs simultaneously, when using standard (53/39) chainrings. Due to the large chainring differential, when using a compact (52/36) I shift both derailleurs simultaneously nearly every time.

djdj
04-27-2015, 04:03 PM
Me, too. Nearly 10 years of shifting with Record 10, two different cranksets, multiple different cassettes. Often shifting front (34/50) at same time as back. Never a problem.

Ralph
04-27-2015, 04:20 PM
I don't see any problem doing that either.....as long as the RD is sized properly, so the spring can take up the slack quickly.

But some folks like to use front and rear combo's that are outside the RD's capacity.....like a short cage RD and a 12-32 with 34-50.....or something like that. Sure it will shift (maybe), but don't expect it to take up all that excess slack quickly.