04-26-2015, 10:23 PM
http://www.clickorlando.com/news/bicyclist-records-road-rage-attack/32580916

I really need to get a "cycle cam."

hesh0925
04-27-2015, 01:49 AM
Saw this making the rounds on the internet. Some people are just crazy. :(

bcroslin
04-27-2015, 06:23 AM
the driver was lucky he picked on someone who didn't fight back. if he tried that on a some of the guys I ride with he would have been beaten within an inch of his life.

with that said, the car pretty much has to run me over for me to get upset about it passing too close.

oldpotatoe
04-27-2015, 06:27 AM
Saw this making the rounds on the internet. Some people are just crazy. :(

'Nice truck, too bad about the penis'...was a bumper sticker I saw the other day. He may have kicked my ass but he would have known he was in a fight.

I know it's dum, but I have gone nose to nose with a few SHeads in cars..One could take out a gun and shoot me, I know. I remember a story in SanDiego about 20 years ago..bike and car..car pulls up the road, driver takes a cross bow out of the trunk, puts an arrow in the cyclists chest..drives away..

SlowPokePete
04-27-2015, 06:29 AM
Wow.

In my dreams I have visions of dropping some guy like that while in lycra kit and Oakleys.

But the truth is it scares the crap out of me to watch that...

SPP

tjk23
04-27-2015, 06:29 AM
I get angry when people pass too close and there is no reason for it. Some of the drivers around where I live will pass too close even when there is an open lane. It feels like they want to see how close they can get, it's like an intimidation thing.

ultraman6970
04-27-2015, 06:38 AM
I get angry when people pass too close and there is no reason for it <-- for some idiots a no passing line in the middle of the road is enough... rules are rules you know... no common sense... did not grab breakfast that morning plus being just a jerk and those things happens.

Damm even in the trail we have here people tries to follow the rules to the dot and that really doesnt help specially with non sense anal people.

Mr. Pink
04-27-2015, 07:06 AM
Wow, the DRIVER called 911?? To tell the authorities a bicyclist was intimidating him in his ....... Pickup truck?

A pair of Look cleats attached to hard bottomed shoes makes for an awesome weapon, especially if that person just knocked me on the ground.

Tony T
04-27-2015, 07:16 AM
The best part of the story was that it was the a-hole driver who contacted the police to file a report against the cyclist. Tough guy though that he needed to cover his a$$, but ended up being charged with battery.

ergott
04-27-2015, 07:21 AM
This is why I stopped with the gestures and yelling when I felt I've been wronged. If someone passes me too closely, but I'm fine I just get on with things. They are the ones with a couple tons of steel that can kill me. I've got nothing.

AJosiahK
04-27-2015, 07:33 AM
This is why I stopped with the gestures and yelling when I felt I've been wronged. If someone passes me too closely, but I'm fine I just get on with things. They are the ones with a couple tons of steel that can kill me. I've got nothing.

agreed with this. Keeping your cool will lead to better rides even if crappy events like these occur.

Especially when the driver is irate, and your calm and collected, on lookers respect that.

people need to realize we are all, people, on a bike, in a car. Lets treat each other like that.

velomonkey
04-27-2015, 07:35 AM
Cue the whole "We are our own worst enemies" - "I wouldn't have ridden on that road" - "We need to give respect to earn respect"

And yes, I stopped using the finger a long, long time ago - and yea, I get scared too when that happens - they are in a car, I'm on a bike with cleats.

Gummee
04-27-2015, 07:43 AM

You remember how your mom used to shake her head when you'd done something wrong?

I've started doing that when people are being stupid.

The whole 'I can't believe you just did that' shake of the head. May work. May not. ...but what it doesn't do is inflame someone that's already looking for a reason to get ticked at you (as a cyclist)

OR when something's really egregious, I'll do the 'WTHeck?!' shrug/arms out to the sides thing. Same idea. Gets the point across without being inflammatory.

Not sayin there aren't times when I want to rip someone out of their car and crap down their neck, but those times are rare.

M

velomonkey
04-27-2015, 07:47 AM
The whole 'I can't believe you just did that' shake of the head. May work. May not. ...but what it doesn't do is inflame someone that's already looking for a reason to get ticked at you (as a cyclist)

OR when something's really egregious, I'll do the 'WTHeck?!' shrug/arms out to the sides thing. Same idea. Gets the point across without being inflammatory.

Not sayin there aren't times when I want to rip someone out of their car and crap down their neck, but those times are rare.

Same tactic I use here - and I swear, sometimes I see red and I could just kill a man - but then I look at my bike and calm it down.

The absolute worst, is when they do it and have a young kid in the car. That makes me as sad as it does mad.

fa63
04-27-2015, 07:58 AM
Wow.

In my dreams I have visions of dropping some guy like that while in lycra kit and Oakleys.

But the truth is it scares the crap out of me to watch that...

SPP
There is a cyclist I ride with from time to time, who was hit while riding then proceeded to kick the drivers ass in his cycling kit. So it can be done :)

Lewis Moon
04-27-2015, 07:59 AM
You remember how your mom used to shake her head when you'd done something wrong?

M

When someone is really mad, their ability to make rational decisions is severely impaired. When that person is at the wheel of a 2000 lb weapon, you'll always lose. Always.
It's really satisfying to become self-righteously indignant over someone else's bonehead move, but it could be the added straw that gets you injured or killed.
I'm really trying to stop screaming at a$$holes who do stupid car tricks on the road. Out of all the incidents I can remember where I yelled at a cars, I can remember only one where the driver apologized...and he was a rider.

rugbysecondrow
04-27-2015, 08:03 AM

Yeah, I try not to get mad and gesture while riding or driving, just not worth it. Sometimes I slip and do get angry, like I would if I were watching a football game through the television screen. I have to remember that it is not one way glass. Haha

If I am on a bike and a car is waiting for me up the road, no way I try to ride my bike by him. No way I sandwich myself between the curb and the truck. Best tactic is to avoid an incident, and he put himself in harms way. He is lucky he didn't get seriously hurt.

I had it happen while driving once. A man felt wronged somehow, cursed and drove angrily at me. The guy got out, charged my car at a stop, when I got out, I think he had an "a ha moment", as he apologized for the confusion, got in the car and left.

Some people are just jerks. Fortunately, I am not the first guy they would think about messing with if they wanted to confront a cyclist.

bobswire
04-27-2015, 08:16 AM
Get this logo printed on a cycling vest. :)

http://i57.tinypic.com/10glfs4.jpg

rustychisel
04-27-2015, 08:21 AM

Yes, agree with this, but in the heat of the moment....

hmmm, yeah, I've got a short fuse on the road, but there's another point to be observed here.

In the UK and here these are called 'punishment passes', and for a good reason. The driver is intentionally trying to intimidate. Always. That's why they always - always - check to see the result of their handiwork in the rear view mirror. That's how it is they see the 'gesture' which so inflames them. Make no mistake about it; this is an act of deliberate intimidation. The response, probably, but that doesn't make it reprehensible. Perhaps unwise, perhaps inflammatory...

BTW: depending on the driver and their state of agitation, a shake of the head might do it, too. If you really wanna see someone go postal, try indicating the size of their member with your thumb and forefinger held delicately about 3 inches apart.... heh heh... works every time.

rugbysecondrow
04-27-2015, 08:30 AM
Yes, agree with this, but in the heat of the moment....

hmmm, yeah, I've got a short fuse on the road, but there's another point to be observed here.

In the UK and here these are called 'punishment passes', and for a good reason. The driver is intentionally trying to intimidate. Always. That's why they always - always - check to see the result of their handiwork in the rear view mirror. That's how it is they see the 'gesture' which so inflames them. Make no mistake about it; this is an act of deliberate intimidation. The response, probably, but that doesn't make it reprehensible. Perhaps unwise, perhaps inflammatory...

BTW: depending on the driver and their state of agitation, a shake of the head might do it, too. If you really wanna see someone go postal, try indicating the size of their member with your thumb and forefinger held delicately about 3 inches apart.... heh heh... works every time.

I agree with you, to add to that though, where I come from, if you flip somebody off (essentially say F$*# You) you better be able to back up it up or you shouldn't do it. The truck was totally in the wrong, but you also need to own your words and actions.

Lewis Moon
04-27-2015, 08:44 AM

That's a very good description. The thing is, the driver feels "wronged" and thus the punishment. There's nothing more volatile than two people, each thinking the other has wronged them somehow.

rustychisel
04-27-2015, 08:49 AM
That's a very good description. The thing is, the driver feels "wronged" and thus the punishment. There's nothing more volatile than two people, each thinking the other has wronged them somehow.

Well yes, no, yes, nup.

The point is the 'punishment' is not always because of something that happened up the road, often it's the first contact, delivered because the cyclist had the temerity to be 'on my road' or 'in my road'.

Damn right, rugbysecondrow. I guess that's why it's sometimes not a good idea... a cyclist in lycra versus a 'cager' with 2000lb of steel. Not a fair contest, gotta use cunning.

Tony T
04-27-2015, 08:51 AM
I agree with you, to add to that though, where I come from, if you flip somebody off (essentially say F$*# You) you better be able to back up it up or you shouldn't do it. The truck was totally in the wrong, but you also need to own your words and actions.

….and if a driver intentionally buzzes someone with their car, they better be able to back up their actions.

rugbysecondrow
04-27-2015, 09:05 AM
….and if a driver intentionally buzzes someone with their car, they better be able to back up their actions.

I agree, except he is surrounded in a couple thousand pounds of metal armor that can be used as a weapon, I just have my good looks and some fleshy brawn.

If he buzzes me and decides to get out of the car, then it is a different conversation.

I will add this, I was in enough scraps as a younger man to know one thing, there is no winner. Even when you win, you can lose. If there is a way to avoid a fight before it happens, choose that route. It will always be a better option.

This kids was taken out and attacked. It wasn't his fault, but he also didn't use the best judgement. He is lucky he wasn't seriously hurt by this guy.

Lewis Moon
04-27-2015, 09:20 AM
Well yes, no, yes, nup.

The point is the 'punishment' is not always because of something that happened up the road, often it's the first contact, delivered because the cyclist had the temerity to be 'on my road' or 'in my road'.

Damn right, rugbysecondrow. I guess that's why it's sometimes not a good idea... a cyclist in lycra versus a 'cager' with 2000lb of steel. Not a fair contest, gotta use cunning.

Exactly, the driver feels wronged by your very existence...or losing .5 seconds behind you...hates lycra...hates that you are fit and s/he is not...thinks you're some sort of crusading environmentalist...hates that you are moving faster than them...

bcroslin
04-27-2015, 09:22 AM

I stopped with the hand gestures after getting into it with a driver who informed me he would rather shoot me then argue with me. In FL 1.3 million people carry concealed and millions more carry a gun because they think they're big tough guys out to prove a point. Giving drivers the finger in FL might get you shot and best of all it would be a stand-your-ground situation.

ultraman6970
04-27-2015, 09:24 AM
In my country a 20 y/o smartass did something similar to like 90% of the team one morning... next stop light, the 3 sprinters got the sucker off the car through the window... another guy grabbed the car and put it in the middle of the intersection with the ignition on, closed the windows and locked the car with the keys inside... they put him in the ground, at that point this kid was crying for his life, he got two hits with the cleats in the chins too... you dont mess with 6 feet tall sprinters and trackers... i was junior and speechless that day. Then taking to them, they told me that at least once each 2 years jerks think that because they drive a car or a truck they have the right to mess with the lighter vehicle.

Who knows how long took him to get the car off the intersection, but something is sure, he had to break a window to get in, plus the explanation to daddy about the incident, plus the lot of cars stopped because of his car in the middle of the road.

Same year the panamerican shot put champion did something similar with a bus driver, next light he got inside of the bus and carried the bus driver down and lift him off the ground like in the movies and asked him... "do you have a problem????, we can fix it right now!!"... you dont mess with a 6.5 guy that can turn a car over with his own hands... We were looking from the door of the olympic gym... I think the driver peed himself asking forgiveness. That shot put guys was super cool but had his temper if somebody wanted to BShim, like this bus driver did.

There is a cyclist I ride with from time to time, who was hit while riding then proceeded to kick the drivers ass in his cycling kit. So it can be done :)

benb
04-27-2015, 09:30 AM
I swear guys who ride with cameras:

- Think they need 10ft of space for the car's pass to be "safe"
- Always flip the bird

I'd almost argue if you can flip the bird the car didn't pass terribly close to you.. if they passed close enough to you to upset your bike you wouldn't be taking your hands off the bars. Better to swear under your breath, the driver is far less likely to react and escalate...

No doubt car drivers do stupid things (I've been hit and it was 100% the cars fault) but people riding with cameras sure seem to be looking for trouble..

If these guys didn't record everything I think they might be inclined to de-escalate...

Lewis Moon
04-27-2015, 09:33 AM
I stopped with the hand gestures after getting into it with a driver who informed me he would rather shoot me then argue with me. In FL 1.3 million people carry concealed and millions more carry a gun because they think they're big tough guys out to prove a point. Giving drivers the finger in FL might get you shot and best of all it would be a stand-your-ground situation.

Same thing here in AZ.
Also remember that a car driver probably has access to a lot more items to throw, swing etc. That may not be just a Big Gulp coming at your head.
...not to mention passengers.

Really, the odds are almost always stacked against you.

Tony
04-27-2015, 09:34 AM
I try to keep my cool. One of the things that has helped me in my life is practicing responsible thinking, "Responsible thinking keeps you free from choices that lead to painful consequences"

Several weeks ago while my wife and I were doing a ride in Pescadero CA we
stopped at a Country store. I stayed outside while my wife went inside to
use the restroom.
I was in the parking lot hunched over my bars, spaced out while waiting for
my wife. Several motorcycle drove up into the parking lot. I didn't
realize I was blocking a parking space until the biker asked me very nicely
if he could get in, which I did.
After he parked one of his buddy's on another bike said to him "you should
of run him over". I tried to ignore him but after I heard him say a$$hole I put this biker to the test.

Some of you may know this store Pescadero
https://plus.google.com/photos/107709068384636814318/albums/5446801204743385073

Lewis Moon
04-27-2015, 09:36 AM

I've actually had a group of motorcyclists harass a driver because he made a left turn in front of me. Two wheels good.

Black Dog
04-27-2015, 09:43 AM
Huh? Everyone with a camera does this? By the way most people flip the bird after the car has passed them unless they have reaction times that are superhuman. These days having a camera is about making sure that when there is trouble you can get the truth out. As a cyclist your story is often ignored, the drivers get listened to.

- Always flip the bird

I'd almost argue if you can flip the bird the car didn't pass terribly close to you.. if they passed close enough to you to upset your bike you wouldn't be taking your hands off the bars. Better to swear under your breath, the driver is far less likely to react and escalate...

No doubt car drivers do stupid things (I've been hit and it was 100% the cars fault) but people riding with cameras sure seem to be looking for trouble..

If these guys didn't record everything I think they might be inclined to de-escalate...

bikerboy337
04-27-2015, 09:46 AM
Agree 100% with this... its not worth it in my mind... i'm even this way when driving now, no more flashing lights, gestures or anything like that... just let it go, it wont solve anything and can only escalate the situation....

Tony T
04-27-2015, 09:51 AM

- Always flip the bird

I'd almost argue if you can flip the bird the car didn't pass terribly close to you.. if they passed close enough to you to upset your bike you wouldn't be taking your hands off the bars. Better to swear under your breath, the driver is far less likely to react and escalate..

In this case the driver had a view of over a mile, and there was no on-comming traffic. No reason for him not to cross the yellow line when passing.

The only reason the driver passed close was to intimidate — people like that need to be told to F$%#-off, preferably by someone who will clean their clock.

Shortsocks
04-27-2015, 10:11 AM
This entire thing makes me sick.
I just don't understand why someone goes out of their way to injure someone on a Bicycle? It's a a bicycle? What kind of mental sickness does one have to have to injure a person on a bicycle.

Seriously. It's a a bike.

Scuzzer
04-27-2015, 10:16 AM
The only reason the driver passed close was to intimidate — people like that need to be told to F$%#-off, preferably by someone who will clean their clock.

I do the exact opposite. If they are passing too close in order to get a reaction out of me (you can tell when they instantly check their mirror) I give them a big smile and wave. If their goal is to piss me off I certainly don't want to give them their payoff. My smile and wave to middle finger ratio is about 10 to 1 these days.

Jgrooms
04-27-2015, 10:29 AM
Some good in this-possibly? Maybe with the increase in video use, ragers will think twice? I hope so.

I have no problem with the rider's initial bird, but think he was looking for some 'drama' after that. I wouldn't have rode up his right or stopped. If I had, I would't have laid down in the grass & gone all passive.

My go to defuser now is, "i thought you were in a hurry? Why then are you sticking around to harass me, just fing go!" Works every time. Too many close calls when I was younger. The smallest injury could take me off the bike. Not worth it & I can't 'educate' the world.

BobO
04-27-2015, 10:35 AM

I shook my head woefully at a dork who was walking his little rat dogs off leash on a MUP. He flew off the handle into a rage and said he'd "kick your ass you little fag." I laughed at the thought of his pudgy ass trying to chase me down. :rolleyes:

I'd estimate that he's the same kind of idiot we saw in this video. Some guys seek out the conflict, for them the fight is the reward.

Tony T
04-27-2015, 10:40 AM
I do the exact opposite. If they are passing too close in order to get a reaction out of me (you can tell when they instantly check their mirror) I give them a big smile and wave. If their goal is to piss me off I certainly don't want to give them their payoff. My smile and wave to middle finger ratio is about 10 to 1 these days.

I had a driver flip me off when I wasn't going fast enough for him (I was driving my Jeep). He was stopped at the next light, I was stopped behind him. I waved "Hi" to him, which pissed him off more — which was my intent.

I give a sincere wave when a driver goes out of his way for me (i.e. waving me on at a stop sign).

Tony T
04-27-2015, 10:43 AM
Some good in this-possibly? Maybe with the increase in video use, ragers will think twice? I hope so.

I have no problem with the rider's initial bird, but think he was looking for some 'drama' after that.

The cyclist wasn't chasing the car. The driver stopped twice, first time to block the cyclists path.

If the driver was such a tough-guy, why did he call the police to report the cyclist for harassing him?

sitzmark
04-27-2015, 10:56 AM
Unless the motorist is a habitual "hazer" of cyclists, then maybe it's the next cyclist that gets run over. Passivity isn't always the answer. A friend and I were buzzed as close as we possibly could have been without being hit on a 50mph stretch of 2 lane (straight) country road. The driver knew what he was doing - sounded the trumpet horn from 1/4 mile back. No oncoming traffic. We were riding single file and within 12-18" of the road edge that dropped off into a morass of ruts, broken asphalt and sand. I still recall the flash of the side mirror next to my head and the effort it took not to go down.

Reported it to a sheriff down the road and he couldn't have cared less. I would not have any regrets if someone takes this guy out so the next person's life isn't jeopardized. Sad but that's the way it is.

The guy in the vid was arrested. Unless this cyclist provoked the situation off camera, the guy got (a little) less than what he deserved. Personal protection works both ways.

Agree 100% with this... its not worth it in my mind... i'm even this way when driving now, no more flashing lights, gestures or anything like that... just let it go, it wont solve anything and can only escalate the situation....

unterhausen
04-27-2015, 11:05 AM
there was the case of a motorist in Colorado that got more and more extreme with his harassment of cyclists and finally killed one. So I think we really should complain to the cops about people like this. And besides, the most anit-cyclist cop in the area keeps telling me how many complaints he gets about cyclists as justification for harassing us, we need to turn that ratio around

The lenses on these cameras makes the passes look further away than they are. I was riding in front of someone who had a camera when we got a close pass. The van looked reasonably far away when it passed the camera, But when it passed me, it almost hooked my bag with the right side mirror

Jgrooms
04-27-2015, 11:39 AM
The cyclist wasn't chasing the car. The driver stopped twice, first time to block the cyclists path.

If the driver was such a tough-guy, why did he call the police to report the cyclist for harassing him?

I'm not for a sec defending the driver, but you don't believe when you strap a camera to your head that you might respond differently? Three options imo: 1. Shoot the gap left or right & get off that road. 2. Turn around & get off that road. 3. Stop & be prepared to rumble.

Get off and lay down in the grass, all the while making sure my camera frame is good, is not high on my list.

Kudos to the rider. Jerk is in jail & as other's have pointed out is a known menace.

ultraman6970
04-27-2015, 12:02 PM
The judge should force these suckers to ride a bike for at least 3 months and suspende their licence for equal amount of time so they know how it feels??

That would teach them the problem I see is that a judge won't give them punishments as silly as those...

Many people just dont know how to ride the bike in a public road either, and thats part of the problem, not only the drivers, but happy this a-hole went to jail at least for a few hours, he will think about it next time, or he wont call the cops next time :p

merlinmurph
04-27-2015, 12:09 PM
In the UK and here these are called 'punishment passes', and for a good reason. The driver is intentionally trying to intimidate. Always. That's why they always - always - check to see the result of their handiwork in the rear view mirror. That's how it is they see the 'gesture' which so inflames them.

Yup, when I get buzzed, I keep looking at their rear view mirror. They're always looking back and have a big, sh*t-eating grin on their face.

Tony T
04-27-2015, 12:47 PM
I'm not for a sec defending the driver, but you don't believe when you strap a camera to your head that you might respond differently?

I would have expected the assailant to act differently.

JAllen
04-27-2015, 01:01 PM
I think if someone intimidates a cyclist, it's caught on camera, and is obvious, they should be arrested, charged with something, and lose their license for years. If they do all this but hit someone??? Felony charges, lose your driving privileges for life. If these types of responses happened I don't think you'd see very much anymore. Since they make it so easy to get a license, you should be able to lose it just as easy.

If someone does something absent minded, I usually clap or give a thumbs up. I have yelled at someone for being on their phone before. If someone passes too close I usually don't say much. I haven't been buzzed on purpose in a while. I try to keep my cool, but I come unglued if someone shouts at me.

I've really calmed down over the years. It takes quite a bit to get me upset enough to react. I.E. shouting.

DHallerman
04-27-2015, 01:32 PM

Great idea with those non-inflammatory gestures. Got to try those.

I also use the gesture shown in this video, a way of disguising eff-you that looks like I'm waving at them: video here (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/24440195/fingers_greeting.mp4)

Also, if I do say something to a driver that's done something dangerous, in my desire not to curse, I try to say, "Are you unskilled? Or just mean spirited?"

Probably better things to say than that.

Dave, who heard his wife Cathy behind him yesterday yelling at a driver who had just cut her off and after the driver sat in her/his car for awhile afterwards which makes me think it was the accident of the unskilled

shovelhd
04-27-2015, 02:10 PM
Cue the whole "We are our own worst enemies" - "I wouldn't have ridden on that road" - "We need to give respect to earn respect"

And yes, I stopped using the finger a long, long time ago - and yea, I get scared too when that happens - they are in a car, I'm on a bike with cleats.

I wouldn't have flipped him off. Everything else the rider did was right. No issues from me so don't go looking for them :)

djg21
04-27-2015, 03:00 PM
Yup, when I get buzzed, I keep looking at their rear view mirror. They're always looking back and have a big, sh*t-eating grin on their face.

I just bought a fly6 rear camera, and likely will get the front facing Fly12 when that becomes available. I try to avoid confrontations with motorists because I'm concerned, living in upstate NY, that eventually some piece of drunken trailer trash in a beat up pickup who buzzes me will have a gun. But there is value in being able to document these encounters.

redir
04-27-2015, 03:15 PM
Unless the motorist is a habitual "hazer" of cyclists, then maybe it's the next cyclist that gets run over. Passivity isn't always the answer. A friend and I were buzzed as close as we possibly could have been without being hit on a 50mph stretch of 2 lane (straight) country road. The driver knew what he was doing - sounded the trumpet horn from 1/4 mile back. No oncoming traffic. We were riding single file and within 12-18" of the road edge that dropped off into a morass of ruts, broken asphalt and sand. I still recall the flash of the side mirror next to my head and the effort it took not to go down.

Reported it to a sheriff down the road and he couldn't have cared less. I would not have any regrets if someone takes this guy out so the next person's life isn't jeopardized. Sad but that's the way it is.

The guy in the vid was arrested. Unless this cyclist provoked the situation off camera, the guy got (a little) less than what he deserved. Personal protection works both ways.

I agree. I always think of it like this, you just played Russian Roulette with my life and need to get a little of the same. My passive aggressive fantasy, a little play that I wrote in my head for these special occasions is to capture the guy and bring him to a dark dingy basement and tie him to a chair. Leave him there for a couple days before flipping on the bright lights and explain to him a little story inspired by William Tell.

"What I'm gonna do is put this little apple on your head and try to hit it off nice and clean with this size 36 Louisville Slugger, you know just like you did when you tried to get as close as possible to me with your car. I'll be honest, as I believe you were, I believe you had no intention on hitting and killing me so I don't either. I'm going to try as best as I can for clean strike. I was a pitcher in high school, never really a good hitter..." :D

Realty is these days I let them go since as someone stated, like trolls, they really do want a reaction so I don't give it. I can tell you one thing there is no way in hell I would have passed that guy like this rider did giving him the chance to run close by me again. That was not good thinking but then people don't think too well in those situations.

54ny77
04-27-2015, 03:27 PM
Both were dumb. The more dumber one sounds like he went to jail. Hope he meets some more dumberer people in jail to make him feel smart enough to know to never go assaulting cyclists, which is a dumb idea in the first place.

Aaron O
04-27-2015, 03:27 PM
'Nice truck, too bad about the penis'...was a bumper sticker I saw the other day. He may have kicked my ass but he would have known he was in a fight.

I know it's dum, but I have gone nose to nose with a few SHeads in cars..One could take out a gun and shoot me, I know. I remember a story in SanDiego about 20 years ago..bike and car..car pulls up the road, driver takes a cross bow out of the trunk, puts an arrow in the cyclists chest..drives away..

I'm trying to stop, but it really is hard when you get a schmuck who really has it coming. I know how stupid and illogical it is to let these people get to you, but logic and wisdom seem to fail me when I'm annoyed.

SlackMan
04-27-2015, 03:50 PM
Regarding gesturing, I hold my hands up three feet apart and yell, "you owe me three feet of space." I've have only one guy stop and I was able to explain what I meant, which was educational for him and no threats ensued.

I do not and have not (middle-finger) flipped people off. When I was in high school, a "tough guy" in my grade once flipped off supporters of an opposing football team at a game. They promptly chased him down and broke his finger. In another story, a guy I knew flipped off a group of guys in a truck. They chased him down, smashed into his car with their big truck, and then fled the scene. Early on, I learned there is little to be gained from flipping someone off and much to be lost.

Nags&Ducs
04-27-2015, 04:36 PM
You never know who will come out of the car- an ex-con, gang-banger, or in this case, a fat piece of ···· ····tard like this guy. In this case, heck my sister could've whooped his fat ass.

Johnny Macintosh. I wonder if he is getting threats on his FB page yet. :beer::beer:

bcroslin
04-27-2015, 04:49 PM
there was the case of a motorist in Colorado that got more and more extreme with his harassment of cyclists and finally killed one. So I think we really should complain to the cops about people like this. And besides, the most anit-cyclist cop in the area keeps telling me how many complaints he gets about cyclists as justification for harassing us, we need to turn that ratio around

The lenses on these cameras makes the passes look further away than they are. I was riding in front of someone who had a camera when we got a close pass. The van looked reasonably far away when it passed the camera, But when it passed me, it almost hooked my bag with the right side mirror

Anytime we get buzzed on the group rides I always try and grab a license plate number and call it in just so there's a record of the driver harassing cyclists. A few months ago we had a driver blare the horn and then ride right up on our wheels. When someone yelled at him he swerved at us and literally drove 3 cyclists off the road. I was able to get a plate and called it in and an officer responded but couldn't find the driver. A few days later one of our group called to follow up and the officer asked if he'd like to file charges and he said yes. Three of us testified to an assistant states attorney and last we heard the driver had to hire a lawyer because he was being charged.

Moral of th story: stay calm and get a license plate number and you just might get some justice.

Elefantino
04-27-2015, 04:56 PM
... capture the guy and bring him to a dark dingy basement and tie him to a chair. Leave him there for a couple days before flipping on the bright lights and explain to him a little story...
I'd tell him this one:

http://10awesome.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/32.jpg

"What now? Let me tell you what now. I'ma call a coupla hard, pipe-hittin'
*******, who'll go to work on the homes here with a pair of pliers and a blow
torch. You hear me talkin', hillbilly boy? I ain't through with you by a damn
sight. I'ma get medieval on your ***."

mainb57
04-27-2015, 05:16 PM
You are all doing it wrong. Ride like this and no one bothers you.

http://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o744/bmain2/machine%20gun_zpstzpgb4nn.jpeg (http://s1341.photobucket.com/user/bmain2/media/machine%20gun_zpstzpgb4nn.jpeg.html)

DarkStar
04-27-2015, 05:41 PM

Few years back doing a long ride in the country, car driving A-hole began to hassle me, kept buzzing me for several minutes until a pair of leathered-up bikers on Harleys rolled up alongside of him and told him to f**k off.
A-hole just about ···· himself, couldn’t drive away fast enough. Thank the bikers, promised them a case of beer next time but never saw them again.

unterhausen
04-27-2015, 05:49 PM
I don't like to watch these videos, but I fast-forwarded through this one. When pickup guy stopped, that was probably the time to call the police. The thing is, I don't get in a lot of fistfights, and I'd rather not have things devolve to contests of strength. Idiots are usually better at that sort of thing than I am.

Mr. Pink
04-27-2015, 06:20 PM
Nobody has mentioned that, since this is Florida, odds are awfully strong the driver possessed a gun. I'm guessing it wasn't under his seat, thankfully.

bcroslin
04-27-2015, 07:28 PM
Nobody has mentioned that, since this is Florida, odds are awfully strong the driver possessed a gun. I'm guessing it wasn't under his seat, thankfully.

Not FL. Rome, GA. And I also already mentioned that in FL we have lots of armed crazies.

BobO
04-27-2015, 07:44 PM
Not FL. Rome, GA. And I also already mentioned that in FL we have lots of armed crazies.

Anyone in any state could have a gun. Its probably wise to assume that before getting into an altercation anywhere.

Gummee
04-27-2015, 07:58 PM
Anytime we get buzzed on the group rides I always try and grab a license plate number and call it in just so there's a record of the driver harassing cyclists. A few months ago we had a driver blare the horn and then ride right up on our wheels. When someone yelled at him he swerved at us and literally drove 3 cyclists off the road. I was able to get a plate and called it in and an officer responded but couldn't find the driver. A few days later one of our group called to follow up and the officer asked if he'd like to file charges and he said yes. Three of us testified to an assistant states attorney and last we heard the driver had to hire a lawyer because he was being charged.

Moral of th story: stay calm and get a license plate number and you just might get some justice.Dark colored Pontiac Solstice FD VA plate 9-0XX is gonna get a talking to on Thurs from my buddy the town cop.

Passing me at the crest of a hill with less than 3' of space? From a firefighter?! How stupid can you be?!

M

Aaron O
04-27-2015, 08:53 PM
Few years back doing a long ride in the country, car driving A-hole began to hassle me, kept buzzing me for several minutes until a pair of leathered-up bikers on Harleys rolled up alongside of him and told him to f**k off.
A-hole just about ···· himself, couldn’t drive away fast enough. Thank the bikers, promised them a case of beer next time but never saw them again.Maybe it's because they also feel vulnerable, or maybe it's because they're on two wheels, but in all of my years I've never had a motorcyclist who wasn't unfailingly polite and accommodating towards me.

Gummee
04-27-2015, 09:01 PM
Maybe it's because they also feel vulnerable, or maybe it's because they're on two wheels, but in all of my years I've never had a motorcyclist who wasn't unfailingly polite and accommodating towards me.

You need to go read 'bicycles on the road' in 'the perfect line' sub-section of ADVRider.

Eye opening. You'd *think* motorcyclists would understand. Bicycling and motorcycling have the same basic problems... but evidently, 'they' don't get it. The irony escapes them.

M

redir
04-28-2015, 10:16 AM
I'd tell him this one:

http://10awesome.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/32.jpg

"What now? Let me tell you what now. I'ma call a coupla hard, pipe-hittin'
*******, who'll go to work on the homes here with a pair of pliers and a blow
torch. You hear me talkin', hillbilly boy? I ain't through with you by a damn
sight. I'ma get medieval on your ***."

Lol yup, exactly!

Shortsocks
04-28-2015, 10:27 AM
A-hole just about ···· himself, couldn’t drive away fast enough. Thank the bikers, promised them a case of beer next time but never saw them again.

Great story. I've also had nothing but good luck with bikers. Very nice folks on the road when I ride. Generally Always wave back.

hesh0925
04-28-2015, 11:36 AM
Great story. I've also had nothing but good luck with bikers. Very nice folks on the road when I ride. Generally Always wave back.

It's true! Maybe it's a case of them relating more to cyclists than drivers. 2 wheels and all.

JAllen
04-28-2015, 11:57 AM
My dad was riding in a pick up with of a buddy of his, back in the 70s, when this guy kept driving recklessly and aggressively towards them. The guy pulled up next to him and was threatening my dad's friend through the open window on the driver's side (my dad was the passenger). Little did this guy know, my dad's friend was a Vietnam vet who didn't comeback quite the same as he had left. He wielded a sawed off shotgun and pulled a Dick Cheney and blasted the dude with birdshot. The guy wrecked into a telephone pole or something and they took off. My dad wasn't exactly expecting that. He told me the rest of the ride was pretty quiet...

Mr. Pink
04-28-2015, 12:41 PM
My dad was riding in a pick up with of a buddy of his, back in the 70s, when this guy kept driving recklessly and aggressively towards them. The guy pulled up next to him and was threatening my dad's friend through the open window on the driver's side (my dad was the passenger). Little did this guy know, my dad's friend was a Vietnam vet who didn't comeback quite the same as he had left. He wielded a sawed off shotgun and pulled a Dick Cheney and blasted the dude with birdshot. The guy wrecked into a telephone pole or something and they took off. My dad wasn't exactly expecting that. He told me the rest of the ride was pretty quiet...

Except for that awful ringing in his ears?

Shortsocks
04-28-2015, 01:13 PM

That's horrible man. He shot someone for running his mouth. Actually pulled the trigger on a Sawed off shotgun? That's extremely irresponsible and insane. Sick.

JAllen
04-28-2015, 01:23 PM
That's horrible man. He shot someone for running his mouth. Actually pulled the trigger on a Sawed off shotgun? That's extremely irresponsible and insane. Sick.

Yeah it really shook my dad up quite a bit. Honestly with the mental state of that guy, I don't think he would rationalize it in the same way that the rest of us would. It's one thing to give a guy a beating when fighting back, but a whole different mess to harm someone with a weapon. Just yet another example of how not knowing the thoughts in someone's head can be dangerous in an escalated situation. This guy shooting someone is pretty equal to using a car to intimidate. Buzzing someone won't kill them and most likely neither will birdshot but both are equally unthinkable to me.

JAllen
04-28-2015, 01:24 PM
Except for that awful ringing in his ears?

yeah no kidding.

rx7ttlm
04-28-2015, 01:31 PM
Reminds me of what happened the other night when I was driving home. A guy in a mustang was tail gating me in a 35mph zone. I was going about 28, because the truck in front of me was going 28... dude behind me yelled at me at the 4 way stop afterwards telling me I should "try #*#*ing driving the speed limit". Sorry you don't get physics dude, two objects can't occupy the same space at the same time... if you try, metal gets smashed... His poor girlfriend was sitting there in the car with him like omg i don't know this guy.

Lesson? People are stupid...

54ny77
04-28-2015, 01:35 PM
One of the reasons I drive a large vehicle for my day to day. Physics are generally in my favor when I outweigh the idiot by a couple of k pounds. Of course that differential is gone when said idiot is in similar vehicle....

Reminds me of what happened the other night when I was driving home. A guy in a mustang was tail gating me in a 35mph zone. I was going about 28, because the truck in front of me was going 28... dude behind me yelled at me at the 4 way stop afterwards telling me I should "try #*#*ing driving the speed limit". Sorry you don't get physics dude, two objects can't occupy the same space at the same time... if you try, metal gets smashed... His poor girlfriend was sitting there in the car with him like omg i don't know this guy.

Lesson? People are stupid...

redir
04-28-2015, 01:49 PM

I can imagine after a deafening shot gun blast :LOL:

That reminds me of a story of a nutty friend I had when we were teenagers. Same type thing except he had one of those fake looking 45cal BB guns. Shot a pellet into the guys side window which completely blew up and the guy was just staring in shock as we drove off fast!

That kid was nuts but his father was also a mob boss now doing like 30 years or something. Crazy times.

Scuzzer
04-28-2015, 10:44 PM
I've also had nothing but good luck with bikers. Very nice folks on the road when I ride.

Worst experience I've had on the road for the last five years was a biker. I'm cruising along on a wide shoulder east of Boulder and this Harley guy passes me and then weirdly slows down and drifts to the right. I assume he's gonna just say something to me so I keep on going at 20mph. Just when he's 3 feet to my front/left he cranks it hard and his crappy ass, barely mufflers let out a 120db belch of crap that destroyed my left ear. Assaulting me with fists would have been preferred since I couldn't hear out of my left ear for two days.

Did I mention this happened near the end of 7 hour day in the saddle?

JAllen
04-28-2015, 10:54 PM
Worst experience I've had on the road for the last five years was a biker. I'm cruising along on a wide shoulder east of Boulder and this Harley guy passes me and then weirdly slows down and drifts to the right. I assume he's gonna just say something to me so I keep on going at 20mph. Just when he's 3 feet to my front/left he cranks it hard and his crappy ass, barely mufflers let out a 120db belch of crap that destroyed my left ear. Assaulting me with fists would have been preferred since I couldn't hear out of my left ear for two days.

Why do people hate us?! Is there some sort of bad PR campaign that we're not privy to? I don't get it.

hesh0925
04-28-2015, 11:11 PM
Why do people hate us?! Is there some sort of bad PR campaign that we're not privy to? I don't get it.

They hate us cause they anus. :banana:

JAllen
04-28-2015, 11:17 PM
They hate us cause they anus. :banana:

I think that's the most elegant way I've heard it put.

Scuzzer
04-28-2015, 11:27 PM
Why do people hate us?!

Dunno. Against every fiber of my being I lifted a hand and gave him the "smile and wave". I was not going to let him get any satisfaction out of blasting me with his crappy Harley. I know there are guys here that like their Harleys but I subscribe to the South Park interpretation of stupidly loud Harley riding.

JAllen
04-28-2015, 11:44 PM
Dunno. Against every fiber of my being I lifted a hand and gave him the "smile and wave". I was not going to let him get any satisfaction out of blasting me with his crappy Harley. I know there are guys here that like their Harleys but I subscribe to the South Park interpretation of stupidly loud Harley riding.

I wasn't so good today. I almost got t-boned today by some young dumb kid in his crappy Jetta with some cheap aftermarket garbage on it. Quiet residential neighborhood at a 4-way stop. My turn to go and this guy guns (tires screeching on wet pavement) it as I'm about to pass in front of him. Slams on his brakes as he sees me. So I yelled at him as I passed. Prime example of someone who shouldn't be allowed the PRIVILEGE of driving.

hesh0925
04-28-2015, 11:50 PM
I wasn't so good today. I almost got t-boned today by some young dumb kid in his crappy Jetta with some cheap aftermarket garbage on it. Quiet residential neighborhood at a 4-way stop. My turn to go and this guy guns (tires screeching on wet pavement) it as I'm about to pass in front of him. Slams on his brakes as he sees me. So I yelled at him as I passed. Prime example of someone who shouldn't be allowed the PRIVILEGE of driving.

I think this is the biggest issue with most people. They don't realize that driving is a privilege, not a right.

rustychisel
04-29-2015, 01:52 AM
I think this is the biggest issue with most people. They don't realize that driving is a privilege, not a right.

Yep. No need to theorise further.

SlowPokePete
04-29-2015, 05:31 AM
Around here lifting a hand in any way will be suspect...

last time I got buzzed and lifted my hand in a "what the hell" manner, driver (maybe 20 year old guy in a pickup truck likely provided by mom and dad) pulls over and starts screaming, "Hey...did you give me the finger? etc, etc..."

SPP

Aaron O
04-29-2015, 06:19 AM

I don't think it's that complicated. We can slow down traffic.

oldpotatoe
04-29-2015, 06:47 AM

I guess he was on his way to Colorado Springs or Longmont...he was probably deaf as a post already.

unterhausen
04-29-2015, 08:07 AM

I was going to post about this behavior when someone started saying nice things about motorcyclists. This happens a couple of times a year to me. Never had it so bad that it caused temporary hearing loss though. Low-life scum can buy motorcycles, that's all there is going on here. These people are living in a hell of their own devising. I just feel sorry for them. It's for "safety" -- yeah right.

I don't think it's that complicated. We can slow down traffic.it's more fundamental than that, people don't know what to do when passing a cyclist. We really don't slow down people that much, and I'm talking so little as to be difficult to estimate. Maybe a couple of seconds except in the case of truly pathetic drivers.

Aaron O
04-29-2015, 08:28 AM
I was going to post about this behavior when someone started saying nice things about motorcyclists. This happens a couple of times a year to me. Never had it so bad that it caused temporary hearing loss though. Low-life scum can buy motorcycles, that's all there is going on here. These people are living in a hell of their own devising. I just feel sorry for them. It's for "safety" -- yeah right.

it's more fundamental than that, people don't know what to do when passing a cyclist. We really don't slow down people that much, and I'm talking so little as to be difficult to estimate. Maybe a couple of seconds except in the case of truly pathetic drivers.

I agree with your edit. Square hole/round peg. People are also afraid of hitting us...or not knowing where we are. We can slow traffic down...it depends on the road and how people are riding.

I don't think most of the crazy incidents are so much that we're hated cyclists as it is that some people are bullies and we're vulnerable.

BobO
04-29-2015, 11:32 AM

There is an inalienable right to travel freely. By extension the means of travel, foot, horse, bike, car, spaceship may be required for the exercise of that right. As such the ownership and use of a means of travel is a right. Reasonable regulation does not mean that the right itself ceases to exist.

The statement that "driving is a privilege," is badly phrased, what it really means is that we as a community have agreed to educate and regulate drivers due to the inherent dangers of an incompetent being on the roads that we all own and share the use of. Where we in the US fall down is in the education part. We simply do not train drivers well.

Now, with all of that said. Whether or not driving is a right is entirely irrelevant to the discussion of people being assholes while driving a car. The guy in the truck at the beginning of this thread has a problem, something in him caused a fault in behavior. Maybe he had an argument with his wife over breakfast, maybe his dog bit him, maybe,... he's nuts. In any case, all the rules in the world won't make a bit of difference to him at that moment of acting irrationally. Nine times out of ten it's best to steer clear of these people if at all possible.

malcolm
04-29-2015, 11:50 AM
I think it's exactly that we slow down traffic and there is the perception that it's very dangerous just having cyclists on the road and being there puts them in a position of maybe hurting you and your being there makes it your fault that you put them in that position.

I think something changes in some people when they get in their car. Reasonable people all of the sudden become irrational.

hesh0925
04-29-2015, 11:56 AM
I think something changes in some people when they get in their car. Reasonable people all of the sudden become irrational.

Couldn't agree more. Some people I know who are normally very nice, tend to become demons behind a wheel. I'm not sure if it's the other people on the road that turn that way, or if they just flip from simply being behind the driving wheel.

Gummee
04-29-2015, 12:28 PM
There is an inalienable right to travel freely. By extension the means of travel, foot, horse, bike, car, spaceship may be required for the exercise of that right. As such the ownership and use of a means of travel is a right. Reasonable regulation does not mean that the right itself ceases to exist.I'd like to see where that's written. Is it in the Constitution or the Declaration of Independence?

M

unterhausen
04-29-2015, 12:29 PM
I'd like to see where that's written. Is it in the Constitution or the Declaration of Independence?

M

lmgtfy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_movement_under_United_States_law

JAllen
04-29-2015, 12:40 PM
Then using that same approach of freedom of movement, what does that say when you are travelling by bicycle (as you chose) and your freedom of travel gets threatened and in some cases violated?

There are other means of travel besides cars. So when that mode of travel (I still view as a privilege) is revoked for threatening and violent behaviour, they will have to travel freely by different means.

brockd15
04-29-2015, 12:50 PM
It's less about drivers, bikers, and cyclists and more about the individual.

Some people are jerks, but most aren't. The vast majority of drivers I've been around while on a bike are courteous and cautious, but a small minority haven't been. Same with people on motorcycles and bikes. It's just that person, not the category, and they'd be that way no matter what.

That said, being in a car does seem to have a special way of dehumanizing people.

BobO
04-29-2015, 01:19 PM
Then using that same approach of freedom of movement, what does that say when you are travelling by bicycle (as you chose) and your freedom of travel gets threatened and in some cases violated?

One persons rights end where another's begins. When an individual transgresses against your right to free movement he has for all intents and purposes committed an assault against your person and has in fact surrendered his own rights.

Having a right does not grant license to commit crimes against other persons. For example, it is widely accepted that yelling fire in a crowded movie theater isn't freedom of speech but rather a crime against all other persons present. That does not mean that speech isn't an inalienable right.

There are other means of travel besides cars. So when that mode of travel (I still view as a privilege) is revoked for threatening and violent behaviour, they will have to travel freely by different means.

Nobody is arguing that rights cannot be restricted after a crime has taken place. We do it every day by locking people up. What is being said is that it is a right not a privilege that is being restricted after due process. A priveledge can be taken at any time without cause, not so with a right.

It's less about drivers, bikers, and cyclists and more about the individual.

Some people are jerks, but most aren't. The vast majority of drivers I've been around while on a bike are courteous and cautious, but a small minority haven't been. Same with people on motorcycles and bikes. It's just that person, not the category, and they'd be that way no matter what.

That said, being in a car does seem to have a special way of dehumanizing people.

Well said, there are jerks in all walks of life. The ones in cars are just particularly dangerous to cyclists.

Tom
04-29-2015, 01:27 PM
Nothing says that any chosen method of free travel is a right, just free travel itself. As a matter of fact, if you take a look at the laws they specify driving privileges and say absolutely nothing about driving rights.

Operating a motor vehicle is a privilege, plain and simple.

Black Dog
04-29-2015, 01:37 PM
Driving is like the internet, it provides an insular condition that bestows some level of anonymity. Buzzing a cyclist is easy because they don't really know who you are and they do not have to face you as a person. Sort of like the inter webs where people will say things on line that they will never say to a living breathing human. Like most things driving, there is such a gross lack of social and legal accountability; under these conditions humans can and do become real pricks. Think of any situation where a person has some level of control and power with a real lack of accountability. Few people have the integrity to act well when they know they do not have to.

redir
04-29-2015, 01:47 PM
I think it's exactly that we slow down traffic and there is the perception that it's very dangerous just having cyclists on the road and being there puts them in a position of maybe hurting you and your being there makes it your fault that you put them in that position.

That about sums it up.

I always like to mention how cars and trucks are advertized too. Lets face it, it's the marketing that gets most people to believe what they want is right for them. So you get tough guy images with trucks, sporty fast drivers in the sports cars and the big save tank image with SUV's. Cars are marketed as devices that make you fearless, strong, tough, bold, independent, you name it, and rational people become the products image when they use them.

You get in your car and all of a sudden you are able to do things that are humanly possible. It is in fact super human, the ability to go super fast. Mix that with some of the myriad personality disorders out there and somethings bound to happen.

BobO
04-29-2015, 01:49 PM
Nothing says that any chosen method of free travel is a right, just free travel itself. As a matter of fact, if you take a look at the laws they specify driving privileges and say absolutely nothing about driving rights.

The Supreme Court has ruled a number of times that if an object is used in the free exercise of a right, it is consequently a portion of the right. Therefore, limitations exist on the governments ability to limit the use.

Laws don't establish rights. The Constitution doesn't establish rights. You are born with all of your rights. Laws establish a framework for due process. As I said earlier, we have all agreed to a framework for the use of cars on public roadways. What we haven't done is remove a single person's right to do so without due process as defined by the law.

Operating a motor vehicle is a privilege, plain and simple.

There's a dusty old document in DC that disagrees with you.

The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ninth_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution

From one of the people who wrote it;

James Wilson had declared: "If we attempt an enumeration, every thing that is not enumerated is presumed to be given. The consequence is, that an imperfect enumeration would throw all implied power into the scale of the government, and the rights of the people would be rendered incomplete."

http://www.heritage.org/constitution/#!/amendments/9/essays/162/rights-retained-by-the-people

This discussion is exactly what what Mr. Wilson was referring to. That the "state" assumes limitations on the rights of the individual due to lack of specificity in the enumeration. According to the framers, the intent of the Constitution is as noted in the ninth and tenth amendments.

oldpotatoe
04-29-2015, 02:19 PM
The Supreme Court has ruled a number of times that if an object is used in the free exercise of a right, it is consequently a portion of the right. Therefore, limitations exist on the governments ability to limit the use.

Laws don't establish rights. The Constitution doesn't establish rights. You are born with all of your rights. Laws establish a framework for due process. As I said earlier, we have all agreed to a framework for the use of cars on public roadways. What we haven't done is remove a single person's right to do so without due process as defined by the law.

There's a dusty old document in DC that disagrees with you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ninth_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution

From one of the people who wrote it;

http://www.heritage.org/constitution/#!/amendments/9/essays/162/rights-retained-by-the-people

This discussion is exactly what what Mr. Wilson was referring to. That the "state" assumes limitations on the rights of the individual due to lack of specificity in the enumeration. According to the framers, the intent of the Constitution is as noted in the ninth and tenth amendments.

Thanks for the overview, the ability to travel freely, being a 'right' in the constitution, I didn't know that. Fascinating stuff. You are an attorney, correct?

BobO
04-29-2015, 02:27 PM
You are an attorney, correct?

No, but I did stay in a,... :p

Actually no, I design homes for a living. I have just spent a lot of time reading material from the original sources and have a political viewpoint of a libertarian, small l.

rugbysecondrow
04-29-2015, 02:56 PM
all the rules in the world won't make a bit of difference to him at that moment of acting irrationally. Nine times out of ten it's best to steer clear of these people if at all possible.

This is the key here. Jerks are everywhere, how we manage them is up to us. If a key is being an aggressive jackass, using a car to intimidate you, is it smart to flip him off and tell him to "···· Off"? Nope. If he has pulled over to block your travel, is it smart to approach him and put yourself in a dangerous situation? Nope.

The driver was an dick, but the cyclists made more than one bad move which put himself in more danger than necessary.

The situational awareness can be the best defense, this cat had none. Or he had great awareness, hence the use of camera. Maybe he wanted an altercation on camera?

JAllen
04-29-2015, 03:09 PM
The driver was an dick, but the cyclists made more than one bad move which put himself in more danger than necessary.

The situational awareness can be the best defense, this cat had none. Or he had great awareness, hence the use of camera. Maybe he wanted an altercation on camera?

I think the same can be said that the cyclist was freaked out and probably not able to make rational decisions.

The positive about the publicity of this is it gives the public a greater awareness to ills of temperamental road usage.

One can only hope they see it and want to push for better cycling infrastructure.

JLP
04-29-2015, 09:39 PM
I've been riding since the '70s.

Lately, I've been riding with some randonneurs who ride insane amounts of miles. What I've observed is that cyclists who ride the most tend to react the least. My smarter friends react less than I do. Not reacting is a good survival skill. I'm not that good at it.

I have a Fly6 sitting on my desk because I keep telling myself I don't need it. Then every other ride I go on, I wish I had it.

I'm not sure if things are worse, or I ride more miles, or I'm getting less invulnerable as I get older, but all I can say is support your local bike advocacy organization.

JAllen
04-29-2015, 10:03 PM
all I can say is support your local bike advocacy organization.

Amen.

Jgrooms
04-30-2015, 05:38 AM
I've been riding since the '70s.

Lately, I've been riding with some randonneurs who ride insane amounts of miles. What I've observed is that cyclists who ride the most tend to react the least. My smarter friends react less than I do. Not reacting is a good survival skill. I'm not that good at it.

I have a Fly6 sitting on my desk because I keep telling myself I don't need it. Then every other ride I go on, I wish I had it.

I'm not sure if things are worse, or I ride more miles, or I'm getting less invulnerable as I get older, but all I can say is support your local bike advocacy organization.

Its worse. You can see the cultural decline on the road everyday. Self absorbed, self entitled, distracted, combative, competitive, generally pissed off at life, no knowledge or interest in following basic rules, let alone common courtesy and a dozen other maladies.

Throw cyclists into the mix & little wonder we are targets.

merckx
04-30-2015, 06:09 AM
Its worse. You can see the cultural decline on the road everyday. Self absorbed, self entitled, distracted, combative, competitive, generally pissed off at life, no knowledge or interest in following basic rules, let alone common courtesy and a dozen other maladies.

Throw cyclists into the mix & little wonder we are targets.

Sadly, this is accurate. It is best to seek less traveled roadways and not to engage with anyone who displays aggressive behavior. The behavior described by the above poster will continue to exist because there are few penalties enforced to thwart it.