PDA

View Full Version : OT: Hellcat Challenger

fogrider
04-26-2015, 03:54 PM
this thing sounds incredible! and the horsepower at 707 horses is ridiculous!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWMjR3r-nsI

ntb1001
04-26-2015, 04:05 PM
I just looked at one last week.
http://www.queencompactcars.com/listingDetail.asp?id=727

Mayhem
04-26-2015, 04:43 PM
I've been into hot ridding since the 80's. When your each a certain power level it's pretty much worthless on DOT tires, especially these low profile tires cars come with new. I had a '99 Trans Am and had a 427 stroker built for it. It dyno'd at 545hp and 500tq at the wheels. Whenever I floored it on the street or even 3/4 throttle the tires would just blow up at any speed, traction was non-existent. Ended up selling it for quite a bit of money and bought a '05 GTO. Kept it pretty much stock and had more fun with it. 707hp is good for nothing but dyno racing unless you're going to put tons of money into the suspension and run slicks.

Ken Robb
04-26-2015, 04:50 PM
i've been into hot ridding since the 80's. When your each a certain power level it's pretty much worthless on dot tires, especially these low profile tires cars come with new. I had a '99 trans am and had a 427 stroker built for it. It dyno'd at 545hp and 500tq at the wheels. Whenever i floored it on the street or even 3/4 throttle the tires would just blow up at any speed, traction was non-existent. Ended up selling it for quite a bit of money and bought a '05 gto. Kept it pretty much stock and had more fun with it. 707hp is good for nothing but dyno racing unless you're going to put tons of money into the suspension and run slicks.

amen!!

thirdgenbird
04-26-2015, 04:53 PM
Agreed. A Cayman would be 10x more fun.

fogrider
04-26-2015, 05:13 PM
I've been into hot ridding since the 80's. When your each a certain power level it's pretty much worthless on DOT tires, especially these low profile tires cars come with new. I had a '99 Trans Am and had a 427 stroker built for it. It dyno'd at 545hp and 500tq at the wheels. Whenever I floored it on the street or even 3/4 throttle the tires would just blow up at any speed, traction was non-existent. Ended up selling it for quite a bit of money and bought a '05 GTO. Kept it pretty much stock and had more fun with it. 707hp is good for nothing but dyno racing unless you're going to put tons of money into the suspension and run slicks.

the point with the new challenger is that its a complete package, engine, trany, suspension, its all there! its the torque that goes to acceleration and horsepower translates to top end speed.

Mayhem
04-26-2015, 05:15 PM
Going from a stoplight a Honda Civic with a big wing on the back would probably get the jump on a stock Hellcat.

Mayhem
04-26-2015, 05:18 PM
the point with the new challenger is that its a complete package, engine, trany, suspension, its all there! its the torque that goes to acceleration and horsepower translates to top end speed.

According to the Dodge website:

*NHRA certified 10.8 @126 mph with street legal drag radial tires. *NHRA certified 11.2 @125 mph with production tires.

For 707hp that actually is not impressive at all. That's traction issues. Cars with 400 at the wheels or less can break into the 10's. Of course the Challenger is very heavy. That'one thing I don't like about it.

parris
04-26-2015, 05:26 PM
One of the things with most new cars is just how much they seem to weigh.

Miller76
04-26-2015, 05:29 PM
I like these but I'm set on a Nissan GT-R

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

fogrider
04-26-2015, 05:32 PM

*NHRA certified 10.8 @126 mph with street legal drag radial tires. *NHRA certified 11.2 @125 mph with production tires.

For 707hp that actually is not impressive at all. That's traction issues. Cars with 400 at the wheels or less can break into the 10's. Of course the Challenger is very heavy. That'one thing I don't like about it.

yeah, that's what Tim Kuniskis was saying in the video, the car is heavy but that why they ampped up the engine. I'm sure there are souped up cars that can beat this thing off the line, but stock? I think this car is pretty crazy for many reasons, and I'm going to be buying one, but it is pretty amazing and just down right bada$$.

malcolm
04-26-2015, 05:50 PM

I used to drag race a '69 Nova SS in proET2. Stroked big block 482 cu in. Somewhere in the range of 500-550 hp at the rear wheels and on the 1/4 it would dial in at 10.60 and run that all day. Narrowed rear end tubbed 14in slicks. 700hp properly geared, suspended and with the right tires should be much faster than the above.

thirdgenbird
04-26-2015, 05:56 PM
yeah, that's what Tim Kuniskis was saying in the video, the car is heavy but that why they ampped up the engine. I'm sure there are souped up cars that can beat this thing off the line, but stock? I think this car is pretty crazy for many reasons, and I'm going to be buying one, but it is pretty amazing and just down right bada$$.

A 2013 gt500 was like 11.6 on stock tires. Not the same, but I bet the car handles better.

twors
04-26-2015, 06:26 PM
105K would buy a top dog 691HP Tesla....electric power AWD

fogrider
04-26-2015, 06:39 PM
44105K would buy a top dog 691HP Tesla....electric power AWD

yeah, a tesla is way cool...the hellcat = bada$$.

FlashUNC
04-26-2015, 06:43 PM
Everything I've read about the Hellcat is the motor is way too much for the chassis. Its complete overkill on a heavy and ancient platform. Same for the Hellcat Charger.

The more rational selection I've read is the Scat Pack what just 500 or so HP.

It should say something when the Hellcat doesn't even turn on the full 700HP without manually changing the settings in the computer system.

Ralph
04-26-2015, 07:03 PM
It's just for bragging rights and advertising. They will not make many. So they can say the Challenger makes more HP than the Camero or Mustang.

Anarchist
04-26-2015, 07:22 PM
Where can you realize the theoretical acceleration and top speed?

Without endangering the lives of law-abiding mere mortals.

ojingoh
04-26-2015, 07:49 PM
Oval race courses.

I've driven my girlfriend's nephew's car, he's got the r/t, I really really liked it, but it would not be a smart car to race in -- heavy understeer, very heavy body, pretty bad visibility. To be fair, it's a street car, not a race car.

thirdgenbird
04-26-2015, 07:59 PM
Oval race courses.

I've driven my girlfriend's nephew's car, he's got the r/t, I really really liked it, but it would not be a smart car to race in -- heavy understeer, very heavy body, pretty bad visibility. To be fair, it's a street car, not a race car.

A track with turns and bloated and overpowered chassis? I vote an airstrip or the salt flats. The weight actually helps you on the salt.

Get this thing on a road course and cars with half the power are likely to embarrass it.

Don't get me wrong, it is a cool car, but only because of the stat sheet. For the same money you can buy a better highway bruiser, a better drag car, or a better track car. If you want all three in one package, I vote used Panamera. It may not out accelerate the hellcat, but it's better at the other two.

fuzzalow
04-26-2015, 08:13 PM
All those numbers don't mean anything to what it is as a car. Those numbers are the seduction to get the buyer to sign the papers.

Ralph
04-26-2015, 08:16 PM
It's just a muscle car. You can't compare it to a handling car. It's larger on inside with a bigger trunk than it's intended competition....Mustang and Camero. So it appeals to some. It's actually pretty good.....for a muscle car. And the Charger....a 4 door car.....has same package.....and it's pretty good for what it is also. A "family" hot rod.

Fiat/Chrysler hasn't got around to using much lighter weight hi strength steel or aluminum like some of it's competitors. I view these vehicles as slightly antiquated. But engine is good. Hey....Fiat/Chrysler stock is doing a lot better than Ford or GM. Give them credit for something.

thirdgenbird
04-26-2015, 08:52 PM
It's just a muscle car. You can't compare it to a handling car

Why not? According to car and driver a panamera turbo is faster to 60 and handles better. Yes, I realize the MSRP difference.

The point of my original post is that the hellcat is "just" a muscle car. You can't experience the "benefit" without a strip and a timing device. Why not get a car that is still quick, but has a benifit you can experience day to day. A larger back seat, better build quality, better visibility, better handling, a cheaper price.

zap
04-27-2015, 10:57 AM

Germany. Not unusual to see folks go 180+mph on unrestricted sections of the Autobahn on a quiet Sunday morning. But I'm not sure this 700hp Fiat would do all that well at speeds north of 150mph.

zap
04-27-2015, 10:58 AM
Agreed. A Cayman would be 10x more fun.

Especially in GT4 trim.

Anarchist
04-27-2015, 11:08 AM
Oval race courses.

Germany. Not unusual to see folks go 180+mph on unrestricted sections of the Autobahn on a quiet Sunday morning. But I'm not sure this 700hp Fiat would do all that well at speeds north of 150mph.

So, practically speaking, nowhere.

Sort of what I thought.

Like the guy that went by me the other day in a GT-R, on a city street, accelerating away and playing frogger with all the other traffic. You just look at them go and wonder how bad the eventual crash is going to be.

And how many people that were just out shopping are going to get killed.

fuzzalow
04-27-2015, 12:21 PM

Every single streetcar made today can be virtually guaranteed to have understeer. They are made & configured for a handling characteristic that biases heavily to understeer for the purpose of safety and legal liability. As much as the average bloke thinks he is a better than average driver, he really doesn't know as much as he thinks he knows. The car manufacturers are not stupid, they have in their employ engineers that understand vehicle dynamics.

The reason street cars are biased to understeer, as opposed to neutral or oversteer, is that when a driver gets in over his head and the car loses grip, it is better for it to lose grip at the front end of the car first. Then the natural reaction for an inexperienced driver is to hit the brakes which slows the car down and brings steering control back to the car both in slowing down and the forward weight transfer in braking to bring steering control back to the front tires. The car will plow ahead scrubbing off speed on full steering lock but it will still be pointing front-end first.

It looks very bad for a car manufacturer to have the car swap ends. Very few drivers know how & what to do when a car loses grip at the back end - because depending on how a driver got into that predicament, hitting the brakes may be the least correct thing he should do.

Race cars and even street cars are very enjoyable with a neutral or oversteer handling bias. Lotsa fun to drive a car by the seat of your pants steering jointly by the back-end w/brakes & throttle.

Ken Robb
04-27-2015, 12:23 PM
RE: Driving on the Autobahn. I went to Germany to do a 3-day driving school on The Nurburgring. BMW provided my group with new 1992 325i sedans for a couple of weeks. Given enough room these would do an indicated 145-150mph. Naturally we HAD to do this a few times but for getting from Point A to Point B we found cruising at 100mph was best and quickest. Much of the Autobahn is only 2 lanes in each direction. German drivers stay right except when passing. Most traffic moves at or below the recommended 81 mph. Anyone involved in an accident while driving above 81mph, even in an area with no speed limit, would be deemed responsible. Trucks in the right lane may be doing 60-70mph so drivers going 81mph are frequently passing them and pulling back to the right lane. If you approach at 100mph you can usually ease off the throttle, let the 81mph guy complete his pass and get back up to 100mph easily. If you approach at 150mph you will need to brake pretty hard and it will take time and a lot of fuel to get back up to 140+mph.
The difference in fuel consumption between 100 and 150mph is HUGE. On a trip of 100 or more miles it will easily require at least one extra refueling so any time advantage you gained driving much faster than 100mph will be lost pumping gas. OTOH the joy and efficiency of covering ground safely at 100mph is an eye-opener as to what is possible.

TPetsch
04-27-2015, 12:26 PM
Nice, but I'll take a bone stock 991 any day for the street.

BobO
04-27-2015, 12:28 PM
Every single streetcar made today can be virtually guaranteed to have understeer.

I can think of two exceptions (outside of exotics) any variety of 911 and the Audi TT. Both have been known to exhibit rather dramatic oversteer at times. The 911 is a great drive but can be quite snappy on the throttle. As long as you respect that the car is trying to kill you at all times, you'll be fine.;)

thirdgenbird
04-27-2015, 12:44 PM
I can think of two exceptions (outside of exotics) any variety of 911 and the Audi TT. Both have been known to exhibit rather dramatic oversteer at times. The 911 is a great drive but can be quite snappy on the throttle. As long as you respect that the car is trying to kill you at all times, you'll be fine.;)

Subaru BRZ. This thing will oversteer with ease, even at fairly low speeds.

BobO
04-27-2015, 12:47 PM

Ya, but they're so slow who cares? :p

fuzzalow
04-27-2015, 12:47 PM

Dunno 'bout that. Outta the showroom, they will have understeering handling characteristics built-in. That is not to say a driver cannot induce the car to swap ends by chopping the brakes in mid-corner. Sometimes cars with semi-trailing rear suspension arms can get twitchy under choppy braking because the rear wheel geometry changes with the ride height change under weight transfer. The 911 by virtue of all her weight in the can.

The fact that you can even name two cars that a driver should approach with some degree of knowledge and respect puts you way above the average bloke driver anyway - who I'd guess bashes away at every vehicle like Dale Ernhardt incarnate. Git 'er dunn.

thirdgenbird
04-27-2015, 12:55 PM
Ya, but they're so slow who cares? :p

Have you driven one? They are a riot. Driving a slow car like a Miata, BRZ or 944 at full effort is way more fun than constantly shutting down a high horsepower car.

FlashUNC
04-27-2015, 01:03 PM
Have you driven one? They are a riot. Driving a slow car like a Miata, BRZ or 944 at full effort is way more fun than constantly shutting down a high horsepower car.

Slow car fast is definitely the way to go.

I hear the BRZ is a hoot to slide around at 30 mph. And unlike, you know, anything with real bite to it, a mistake (probably) won't kill you.

Engineers at Toyota put the Prius tires on there specifically for their lack of grip and ease to slide around on.

BobO
04-27-2015, 01:06 PM
The 911 by virtue of all her weight in the can.

If you back to the older ones, the jacking forces of the virtual swing arm combined with too much throttle, or worse, lifting makes for an interesting ride. :help:

I agree with you though, 99.9% of all cars have understeer built in by design to keep less than skilled drivers safe. The danger is that a car like the Hellcat will leave the road nose first so quickly that the good intentions will be for naught. There are gonna be a lot of wrecked Hellcats, just like there were with the GT500 and will be with the GT350. Darwin never sleeps.

BobO
04-27-2015, 01:10 PM

I have, and yes the Toyburu is fun. Though I prefer a more precise, balanced car like the Miata.

jds108
04-27-2015, 01:14 PM
So, practically speaking, nowhere.

Sort of what I thought.

Like the guy that went by me the other day in a GT-R, on a city street, accelerating away and playing frogger with all the other traffic. You just look at them go and wonder how bad the eventual crash is going to be.

And how many people that were just out shopping are going to get killed.

I understand your point. However - most every new car being made can go well past 100 mph. It's not just 'sports' cars that can be driven in such a way as to endanger everybody else out on the road.

goonster
04-27-2015, 01:16 PM
The Hellcat is cool, I'm glad they make it, and would love to take one for a spin.

But it is also the automotive equivalent of this:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-NKEORRBl-Zs/VH8lQ8R12VI/AAAAAAAAH4s/Sv2LIWY_n6g/s1600/giphy.gif

Of course, it's not unique in this. The horsepower wars are old hat. If you're into muscle cars, Hellcat is the bomb.

fuzzalow
04-27-2015, 01:24 PM
Driving a slow car like a Miata, BRZ or 944 at full effort is way more fun than constantly shutting down a high horsepower car.

Absolutely correct. I'll even go further in saying that the less sticky tire is much more fun on the street also. If you don't want to do that, whack the tire pressures way up 45+ PSI to lessen the grip.

Anything to bring the performance level down so that you can get closer to the edge on the street in relative safety and at a much slower speed. I can't believe I said this, so please do this with the utmost caution - all this behaviour is boderline illegal. Everything I have said here I have done.

I agree with you though, 99.9% of all cars have understeer built in by design to keep less than skilled drivers safe. The danger is that a car like the Hellcat will leave the road nose first so quickly that the good intentions will be for naught. There are gonna be a lot of wrecked Hellcats, just like there were with the GT500 and will be with the GT350. Darwin never sleeps.

Y'know, I'm an optimist on this one. I think the car is too expensive and the target buyer is too mature to take stupid risks with this car like a newly licensed 17-year old. This is the muscle car he could not have or afford when he was a young man and now, safe & secure in middle age, he has the financial wherewithal to buy this car and revisit his youth. There's nothing wrong with that.

These cars were so crude! Even back in the day, Steve McQueen's Shelby Mustang in Bullit - the scene after he spins off the road and has to get back up to speed to chase down the black Charger. Gotta love the axle windup & wheel hop in that camera shot for that scene! Car guys loved it.

thirdgenbird
04-27-2015, 01:43 PM
I have, and yes the Toyburu is fun. Though I prefer a more precise, balanced car like the Miata.

That's why I own a 924s on adjustable coilovers. My dad has the brz. One is precise, the other is loose. Both are fun.

54ny77
04-27-2015, 01:49 PM
Yup.

:cool:

I'd love to take one for an expended spin, just for the heck of it.

If you're into muscle cars, Hellcat is the bomb.

BobO
04-27-2015, 01:53 PM
These cars were so crude! Even back in the day, Steve McQueen's Shelby Mustang in Bullit - the scene after he spins off the road and has to get back up to speed to chase down the black Charger. Gotta love the axle windup & wheel hop in that camera shot for that scene! Car guys loved it.

I had a 68 Plymouth Satellite when I was 19, essentially the same car as the Bullitt Charger. In comparison to even the worst POS being sold now, that was a horrible car. Damn thing felt like it needed a harbor pilot to pull into a parking lot. The new Challenger is a joy to drive in comparison. It is not, however, a nimble car by any stretch. The contemporary Mustang and Camaro are far superior driving cars. :p

binxnyrwarrsoul
04-27-2015, 01:57 PM
It has 707 HP so we all can talk about it having 707 HP. Cool car, but a stock 911 GT3 with 500 very usable HP will simply embarrass it. And that's before the road turns.

AngryScientist
04-27-2015, 02:07 PM

i've never actually driven one, but the Honda S-2000 is pretty well known to swap ends pretty effortlessly, so i've heard.

54ny77
04-27-2015, 02:13 PM
somehow, i would venture a guess that anyone buying a hellcat already knows that. ;)

besides, it's apples and oranges. as are any other comparisons mentioned on this thread.

just the fact that american car makers are banging out 400-500+ hp cars with full factory warranties all day long is amazing in & of itself! :hello:

It has 707 HP so we all can talk about it having 707 HP. Cool car, but a stock 911 GT3 with 500 very usable HP will simply embarrass it. And that's before the road turns.

staggerwing
04-27-2015, 02:44 PM
i've never actually driven one, but the Honda S-2000 is pretty well known to swap ends pretty effortlessly, so i've heard.

My bone stock AP2 is rather neutral, but the earlier AP1 version could readily be provoked into snap oversteer by significant throttle changes, plus or minus, mid-turn.

William
04-27-2015, 03:07 PM
I like the Hellcat, pretty badazz car. But if I was going to spend money on a high horsepower ride, how about a 1000HP Chevy Recoil?:cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTQoiYY9_yQ&list=PLcAFCEDZU39xYLamb1NBGW_14DrieamN2&index=9

The Ring Brothers did an amazing job on this car, and they used some bike parts on the interior to so it's not entirely OT either.:)

William

rnhood
04-27-2015, 03:30 PM
I'd love to tour Jay's garage. A '66 Chevelle is a beautiful car by any measure. Much the same with the "66 GTO and 442. It was a good year. '67 was very close but I will forever like the '66's better.

I like the Hellcat and applaud Chrysler for their work. Yes its overkill under the hood, but so are many things today. I'd rather have it than some little car that is hard to even get in (like the new P. Cayman).

thirdgenbird
04-27-2015, 04:28 PM
I'd rather have it than some little car that is hard to even get in (like the new P. Cayman).

How tall are you?

rnhood
04-27-2015, 04:31 PM
6-2

I just like bigger cars. For a sports car, my current fav is the California T Ferrari. That's about as small as I want to go. Of course I can't afford one so it doesn't matter.

thirdgenbird
04-27-2015, 04:40 PM
At 6' 1" I feel like I've got pleanty of room in a cayman. I cant get the clutch pushed in when the seat is all the way back in my 924.

German cars tend to be deceiving. I've got more room in out jsw (golf) than I do in our fusion.

aramis
04-27-2015, 05:59 PM
I have a ls1 rx7. Approx 500 hp and 2700 pounds (mid 10 sec 1/4 mile) and it's fun to drive but on the street my Miata is more fun.

Man dodge prouducts are crappy though and have been for as long as I can remember. A crappy car with 700 hp is still a crappy car, you can just blow the tires off everywhere.

Jaq
04-27-2015, 06:16 PM
This is a Hellcat. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBsg3WZeheY)

I don't know what that four-wheeled thing is.

soulspinner
04-27-2015, 08:41 PM
It's just a muscle car. You can't compare it to a handling car. It's larger on inside with a bigger trunk than it's intended competition....Mustang and Camero. So it appeals to some. It's actually pretty good.....for a muscle car. And the Charger....a 4 door car.....has same package.....and it's pretty good for what it is also. A "family" hot rod.

Fiat/Chrysler hasn't got around to using much lighter weight hi strength steel or aluminum like some of it's competitors. I view these vehicles as slightly antiquated. But engine is good. Hey....Fiat/Chrysler stock is doing a lot better than Ford or GM. Give them credit for something.

Ya. My bosses new 2015 Zo6 will kill it anywhere but the dragstrip but it turns better, stops better and can be driven sedateltely no problem. 650 flywheel/650 torque. I get to take it in for service. Might take a little longer some days:)

christian
04-28-2015, 05:28 AM
Ya. My bosses new 2015 Zo6 will kill it anywhere but the dragstrip but it turns better, stops better and can be driven sedateltely no problem. 650 flywheel/650 torque.

If my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle. Who cares if a ZO6 is faster around a track or or a tubbed Nova can beat it in a quarter mile, or a Panamera is a more effective way of demonstrating you're a soulless, insecure, underequipped yuppie. It's a production coupe with 707hp. It's a car in which you could go get In-N-Out, that makes 137 more horsepower than a Ferrari 458.

Let's just appreciate it like we appreciate the space shuttle - largely, almost wholly, useless but, hey, cool nonetheless.

thirdgenbird
04-28-2015, 07:40 AM
You view the Panamera as compensating but not a useless 707hp marketing effort?

gemship
04-28-2015, 07:48 AM
I like the Hellcat, pretty badazz car. But if I was going to spend money on a high horsepower ride, how about a 1000HP Chevy Recoil?:cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTQoiYY9_yQ&list=PLcAFCEDZU39xYLamb1NBGW_14DrieamN2&index=9

The Ring Brothers did an amazing job on this car, and they used some bike parts on the interior to so it's not entirely OT either.:)

William

I discovered the Recoil a few weeks back and it is awesome! Lots of Ring Brothers builds on Youtube, I love that site as it keeps me interested and up to date with all things hot rod. One thing I have no idea is...how much does it cost?

I wonder if the Recoil can be made competitively priced to the Hellcat? I would almost want to say yes.

avalonracing
04-28-2015, 07:52 AM
$70,000... for a Dodge.

soulspinner
04-28-2015, 09:04 AM
$70,000... For a dodge.

this

soulspinner
04-28-2015, 09:05 AM
If my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle. Who cares if a ZO6 is faster around a track or or a tubbed Nova can beat it in a quarter mile, or a Panamera is a more effective way of demonstrating you're a soulless, insecure, underequipped yuppie. It's a production coupe with 707hp. It's a car in which you could go get In-N-Out, that makes 137 more horsepower than a Ferrari 458.

Let's just appreciate it like we appreciate the space shuttle - largely, almost wholly, useless but, hey, cool nonetheless.

Um ok, I was just agreeing with Ralph but sure............:)

Dave B
04-28-2015, 09:30 AM
I love it, I love MOPAR, I could care less what the gas mileage is or if it can beat a euro-sports car around a track or anything of that nonsense.

No matter what car we talk about someone has a "it isn't as good as my," fill in the blank. The history of the big three here has always been hp wars. Dodge is now at the front until someone else brings out the 708bhp engine.

I want one, cannot afford it as I have never purchased a brand new car. However, I have a 6th gen charger srt superbee and love it. They brought back B5 blue for this year and for the type of driving I do it is a blast. I don't race many people around the roundabouts, but my daughter giggles every time we break the back end lose whe it is only us on the street. Making that little girl happy and starting her love of cars is what it is all about for me.

The Hellcat is a blast and built for those of us who have small wedding tackle so leave us alone.

You don't make fun of me for my loud exhaust and I'll stop laughing at you on your $10k+ bicycle to go on your 20 mile rides.

Can't we just enjoy the fact there are two 707bhp American cars with superchargers and a factory warranty. Come on now where is the little kid who played with hot wheels?

more POOOOOWWWWEEEEERRRRR! - Jeremy Clarkson

Vientomas
04-28-2015, 09:48 AM
...or a Panamera is a more effective way of demonstrating you're a soulless, insecure, underequipped yuppie.

Got an issue with Porsche drivers in general or just those who drive Panamera's?

William
04-28-2015, 09:57 AM
https://38.media.tumblr.com/4808be75f669ff41f351269761d46ee1/tumblr_n8h3ijjSwK1rpdptuo1_r1_500.gif

:)
William

William
04-28-2015, 10:01 AM
I discovered the Recoil a few weeks back and it is awesome! Lots of Ring Brothers builds on Youtube, I love that site as it keeps me interested and up to date with all things hot rod. One thing I have no idea is...how much does it cost?

I wonder if the Recoil can be made competitively priced to the Hellcat? I would almost want to say yes.

I saw the Recoil shortly after they put that JLG episode up and I was really impressed with their work and attention to detail throughout the build. Some really smart engineering and design aesthetics. One would think they could build that to come in around or under the cost of a Hellcat...but I don't know for sure.

Btw, some of the restomods that have been on JLG are pretty cool as well.

William

soulspinner
04-28-2015, 02:49 PM
https://38.media.tumblr.com/4808be75f669ff41f351269761d46ee1/tumblr_n8h3ijjSwK1rpdptuo1_r1_500.gif

:)
William

So thats what you do with it :p

Bradford
04-28-2015, 03:27 PM
Big deal William, lets see a video of you doing that on your bike and we'll be impressed!

BobO
04-28-2015, 03:28 PM
So thats what you do with it :p

Was there every a question? Turning air and gasoline at a stoichiometric ratio into plumes of tire smoke is the highest calling of a muscle car.

LesMiner
04-28-2015, 03:34 PM
I think Motorweek had the best review of the Hellcat. Their point was that it could driven tamely enough to serve as a daily driver. Also that all that power could be called upon at any time. The observation about drag strip performance being under par is not really what they were after marketing wise. If you really wanted to make the Hellcat a true drag strip performer using all that 700+ horsepower, you could not drive it on the street. That really limits the size of the market.

My older cousin worked for Ford many years ago and had an interesting comment about the Ford Pantara. He said it was super sports car body with a station wagon V8. Engine drive chain choice was that the average guy could maintain it. He also said they stopped production for many reasons and one being that many people were killing themselves driving it beyond their capability.

soulspinner
04-28-2015, 07:46 PM
Was there every a question? Turning air and gasoline at a stoichiometric ratio into plumes of tire smoke is the highest calling of a muscle car.

Yup, tried and failed at the sarcasm thing...:rolleyes:

christian
04-28-2015, 07:53 PM
Got an issue with Porsche drivers in general or just those who drive Panamera's?

I don't have "an issue" with any of them, but I don't particularly like Panameras and Cayennes. (I don't even register Macans.) But I'm an old grump; I think they mostly lost the plot after the 3.2 LH-Motronic cars. I can get behind Caymans, to be fair.

54ny77
04-28-2015, 08:11 PM
Hell they lost me after 1989. I would prefer a well maintained example of this over anything new, all day long.

http://sloancars.com/wp-content/uploads/inventory/2101_web.jpg

I don't have "an issue" with any of them, but I don't particularly like Panameras and Cayennes. (I don't even register Macans.) But I'm an old grump...[delete]

christian
04-28-2015, 08:24 PM
Right. G50 transmission. 3.2l engine with LH-Motronic injection. Safety bumpers. All is right with the world.

I'd like mine normally aspirated in Baltic blue with linen interior. (My old one was a 3.0SC in brick red metallic with brown interior. Worst combo ever. But 56k miles and one ophthalmologist owner...)

http://rennlist.com/forums/attachments/vehicle-marketplace/650524d1342996779-1989-carrera-coupe-baltic-blue-metallic-p1000460.jpg

christian
04-28-2015, 08:34 PM
I love the odd mid-year 2.7 and SC colors too:

Nougat Brown
Quartz Gray Metallic
Minerva Blue
Ice Green
Bamboo Beige
Casablanca Beige
Sahara Beige
(yes, there were three different beiges for mid-year (74-78) cars!)
Copper Brown Metallic
Petrol Blue Metallic
Granite Green Metallic
85-86 Pastel Beige
Meteor Gray Metallic from 87-89
etc. etc. etc.

Ah, sweet Nougat Brown!

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/fb/df/70/fbdf709d6f084d403262d518f39fd60d.jpg

William
04-28-2015, 08:35 PM
Big deal William, lets see a video of you doing that on your bike and we'll be impressed!

Didn't think I could do it huh?

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view/462033/iraqi-burnout-o.gif

:p:p;)

William

thirdgenbird
04-28-2015, 09:32 PM
I love the odd mid-year 2.7 and SC colors too:

Nougat Brown
Quartz Gray Metallic
Minerva Blue
Ice Green
Bamboo Beige
Casablanca Beige
Sahara Beige
(yes, there were three different beiges for mid-year (74-78) cars!)
Copper Brown Metallic
Petrol Blue Metallic
Granite Green Metallic
85-86 Pastel Beige
Meteor Gray Metallic from 87-89
etc. etc. etc.

Ah, sweet Nougat Brown!

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/fb/df/70/fbdf709d6f084d403262d518f39fd60d.jpg

I actually really dig brown 911s. This example looks ideal, it just needs plaid interior.

Vientomas
04-28-2015, 10:18 PM
I don't have "an issue" with any of them, but I don't particularly like Panameras and Cayennes. (I don't even register Macans.) But I'm an old grump; I think they mostly lost the plot after the 3.2 LH-Motronic cars. I can get behind Caymans, to be fair.

OK, I see. You don't have an "issue" with them, you just describe drivers of them as "soulless, insecure, underequipped yuppie[s]

Understood. :rolleyes:

goonster
04-28-2015, 10:39 PM
$70,000... for a Dodge.

You can spend $240,000 (http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2014-porsche-panamera-turbo-s-executive-review) on a Panamera. Compared to that, the Hellcat is a paragon of good taste and restraint.

binxnyrwarrsoul
05-01-2015, 05:28 PM
Hell they lost me after 1989. I would prefer a well maintained example of this over anything new, all day long.

http://sloancars.com/wp-content/uploads/inventory/2101_web.jpg

I concur.