PDA

View Full Version : When a builder has a signature

MattTuck
04-26-2015, 03:35 PM
Whether it is a signature paint scheme, tube design or just an aesthetic, is it a no brainer to go with the option for which the builder is known?

I've heard this come up in various threads but figured it was worth revisiting.

I know with Dave Kirk, I went with the terraplane stays. How about you all?

Another question might be, who are the builders out there now with a recognizable signature?

To start with:

Sachs - Paint
Della Santa - Chain stays
Kirk - Seat stays
Rock Lobster - Paint
Firefly - Iridescent aesthetic

parris
04-26-2015, 03:42 PM
Ellis and Vanilla have their own treatment to rear dropouts.

Dave Kirks side tack seat stays I would also say are his alone. Others do side tacks but his treatment is "his". Another thing that's Daves is his rear dropout.

fogrider
04-26-2015, 05:23 PM
Rock Lobster - Paint

there are lots of lobsters out there without the seafoam paint...I think the signature for paul are his welds and the ride. while you can't really see the the ride, you can feel it. with that said, I wouldn't mind having mine repainted seafoam!

MattTuck
04-26-2015, 05:46 PM
Likewise with any builder with a paint scheme they are known for. Only need a subset with a consistent look to call it a signature look. In that way, maybe signature is the wrong word.

dave thompson
04-26-2015, 06:08 PM
IMO Dave Kirk has the trifecta of signatures of frame building. His fastback seat stays are clean and simple. Kirk's Terraplane seat stays are dead nuts the sexiest metal on bicycles ever. Dave's self-designed dropouts are strong and good on the eyes. All of his signatures are elegant, beautiful and make for instantly recognizable works of rolling art and practicality. I've been a fan of his since day one.

veggieburger
04-26-2015, 06:11 PM
DeKerf, the monostay. Looks so classy IMO.

PacNW2Ford
04-26-2015, 06:45 PM
For me it's forks:

Igleheart - "The New England Segmented Fork" and a custom stem (the old style, although the Paragon based ones are nice too)

Steve Potts - Type II fork

FlashUNC
04-26-2015, 06:48 PM
I tend to think so -- going with a builder's signature bits. For me, the search is finding the builder whose signature bits are the ones that align with what you want out of the bike. Paint is totally an aesthetic choice and I get not wanting something in a particular color that a builder may or may not be known for. But if you like it, why not?

You should totally get the bike you want, but I'm also a believer in not asking a builder to build something that's way off their own reservation.

Couple others I'd add:

Bruce Gordon's lug pinholes.

Chris Kvale's lug thinning.

christian
04-26-2015, 07:37 PM
Yes, of course.

Vientomas
04-26-2015, 07:46 PM
Llewellyn seat stay bridge with a heart cut out and the hand shaped lugs with a heart motif.

markie
04-26-2015, 08:22 PM
Black cat cycles uses this fantastic head-tube treatment:

http://brimages.bikeboardmedia.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/black-cat-bicycles-nahbs-3.jpg

I love it.

dcama5
04-26-2015, 08:28 PM
For me it's forks:

Igleheart - "The New England Segmented Fork" and a custom stem (the old style, although the Paragon based ones are nice too)

Steve Potts - Type II fork

I agree about the Igleheart forks. here is a Christopher Igleheart 853 new England segmented on my wife's Serotta, probably the nicest fork we have owned.

By the way, don't even look at the red hoods! Mistake, they are being replaced. I don't know what I was thinking...

eddief
04-26-2015, 08:32 PM
On the edge of most people's aesthetics, but some nice looking bikes. In the correct proportions, I like em:

http://www.ingliscycles.com/retro_half.php
https://www.flickr.com/photos/circles-jp/16339605909/

Llewellyn
04-26-2015, 08:47 PM
Llewellyn seat stay bridge with a heart cut out and the hand shaped lugs with a heart motif.

And the little picture of a frog somewhere on the frame :banana:

vav
04-26-2015, 09:18 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/k7lro/DSCN3070.jpg

http://trackosaurus.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/old/images/SmellThebaconTracko.png

seanile
04-26-2015, 10:06 PM
argonaut always adds a little bit of blue to his frame's paint

bobswire
04-26-2015, 10:30 PM
Serotta Colorado's

Workmanship
Paint
Concept
Logo

pdmtong
04-27-2015, 02:16 AM
Uh,!who are you buying the bike for? Us or you?

pdonk
04-27-2015, 06:10 AM
DeKerf, the monostay. Looks so classy IMO.

Agree, love mine.

I'll add some vintage mtb ones:

Brodie - sloping top tubes and noodle brake guide
Mountain Goat - california yuppie paint
Bontrager - gussets
salsa - jelly bean paint

Waldo
04-27-2015, 12:50 PM

And seat stay caps flowing into the seat lug.

Waldo
04-27-2015, 12:53 PM
Columbine chain catcher: http://www.columbinecycle.com/images/photos/quikchainger.gif

donevwil
04-27-2015, 01:01 PM
Type II fork on a Potts.

DHallerman
04-27-2015, 01:10 PM
Likewise with any builder with a paint scheme they are known for. Only need a subset with a consistent look to call it a signature look. In that way, maybe signature is the wrong word.

And yet sometimes the builder's signature paint color is only in the eye of buyers.

I'm thinking of Richard Sachs, known for his Joe Bell painted red bikes.

And yet, I remember asking him several years ago about which color(s) I could get for one of his frames, and his reply was any color I wanted. He didn't seem stuck on that famous Sachs red.

Dave, who was going to get fitted by Mr. Sachs on a June Friday several years ago but then lost his job on that week's Tuesday so he cancelled the appointment and never made it back so to speak

classtimesailer
04-27-2015, 01:18 PM
I need a signature on my RS that is legible:)

evo111@comcast.net
04-27-2015, 06:52 PM
type ii fork on a potts.

+1

Black Dog
04-27-2015, 07:13 PM
I need a signature on my RS that is legible:)

How hard is it to read ATMO? :p

unterhausen
04-27-2015, 07:18 PM
Columbine chain catcher: http://www.columbinecycle.com/images/photos/quikchainger.gif

I figure all frames should have these. Henry James sells them. I've actually been thinking about how to make attaching them easier since I'm about to make myself a new frame

alexstar
04-27-2015, 07:36 PM
And yet sometimes the builder's signature paint color is only in the eye of buyers.

I'm thinking of Richard Sachs, known for his Joe Bell painted red bikes.

And yet, I remember asking him several years ago about which color(s) I could get for one of his frames, and his reply was any color I wanted. He didn't seem stuck on that famous Sachs red.

Dave, who was going to get fitted by Mr. Sachs on a June Friday several years ago but then lost his job on that week's Tuesday so he cancelled the appointment and never made it back so to speak

This is true. I think a "signature color" is usually more in the eye of the customers - like the red and white "Sachs" team paint job, or now the Rock Lobster "Team Green", which has recently exploded in popularity. Builders are happy to paint your bike whatever color you want, but I suspect they may be mystified as to how one paint scheme or another really captures the public imagination. Kristofer Henry (44 Bikes) sells a lot of black bikes, but he recently stated how much he loves bright colors, it's just that many customers have associated his bikes with being painted black.

unterhausen
04-27-2015, 09:26 PM
if you connect with something that a builder does frequently, then that's what you should get. If you want something that's totally out of character for a builder, reconsider builders. Otherwise, I'm going to guess that most builders don't really want to be stereotyped.

MattTuck
04-27-2015, 10:27 PM
Another one that I've seen atleast a few of is the white/green/red 7-11 scheme from Hampsten, though they have their own aesthetic that is different from the 7-11 scheme.

oldpotatoe
04-28-2015, 06:28 AM
Whether it is a signature paint scheme, tube design or just an aesthetic, is it a no brainer to go with the option for which the builder is known?

I've heard this come up in various threads but figured it was worth revisiting.

I know with Dave Kirk, I went with the terraplane stays. How about you all?

Another question might be, who are the builders out there now with a recognizable signature?

To start with:

Sachs - Paint
Della Santa - Chain stays
Kirk - Seat stays
Rock Lobster - Paint
Firefly - Iridescent aesthetic

I think you either do that frame for the aesthetic or you see their aesthetic, see the skill involved, and wish to partake of that skill. I don't care for the Kirk Terraplane rear end, the look, but I would consider him making a more traditional frame because of his obvious frame building skills.

d_douglas
04-28-2015, 12:11 PM
Funny. I took the 'signature' thing to heart when considering a Potts.

I had a ti disc CX bike built two years ago and it came down to Desalvo and Potts. I went with Desalvo and i think part of the reasoning is that I felt like it was 'appropriate' to match the Potts frame with the Type II fork.

I think the fork looks nice and rides nice, but I really wanted the performance of a light carbon fork and it seemed a shame to ask Mr. Potts to put an ENVE on his frame after he has put so much thought into his matching forks. It's not really rational, as he was happy to spec any fork, but it seemed 'right' to use his signature fork.

I picked up my gorgeous Desalvo at NAHBS 2013 and when I went by the Potts booth and saw a Potts CX bike with a matching fork, I felt a twinge of regret, as it looked spectacular as well.

That said, I am with Pete on the Terraplane - it doesn't appeal to me, even though I love Dave K's work. I would one day like to own a Kirk, and I think I would rather have straight stays on mine.

Johnnyg
04-28-2015, 02:04 PM
IF steel fork. IF badge. IF paint

velotrack
04-28-2015, 02:34 PM
IF steel fork. IF badge. IF paint

IF had some cool fades that used to be pretty recognizable.
Their unicrown fork is pretty commonly seen too.
The badge (sometimes more than on the HT) definitely.

Dropouts, shaping of the tubes, paint. Some builders like having the signature and others don't like the casting into a role. But I think being distinct helps in sales and unique demand for sure.

pdmtong
04-28-2015, 03:28 PM
A few signature elements - the kirk terraplane and the wages small radius fork bend - do not appeal to me. at all. my call as the beholder.

so kirk with straight stays and ellis with a painted to match Enve would be my alternative approach.

make the bike your own!

veggieburger
04-28-2015, 03:31 PM
I don't think this has been mentioned yet - Bianchi toothpaste green. (doesn't appeal to me, but you can spot a Bianchi a mile away)

sparky33
04-28-2015, 04:12 PM
Weigle.
Every aspect of his bikes is a signature.

veloduffer
04-28-2015, 05:04 PM
When I went to order my Sachs, I was going to get the same yellow with whit panel paint job as my 1993 Bridgestone RB-1. I changed my mind when I saw how gorgeous the Joe Bell signature paint looked. Never regretted the change., but I still like the BStone yellow (which is not everyone's cup of tea - similar to people split about Bianchi Celeste Green).

seanile
04-28-2015, 06:16 PM
lynskey's twisted DT

and bishop's paper-thin lugs