PDA

View Full Version : Backup bike theory (applied to more than bikes)

azrider
04-26-2015, 02:46 PM
I need help with what my wife considers to be "issues" :p

I have a backup bike....... Ok, not really a backup, but a bike that I use for the majority of my commuting and as of late the majority of my solo chill rides also. I ride this 'backup bike' so that I don't put what I consider unneeded 'wear' on my "go-to" bike.

The problem.........is that I also have backup wheels, sunglasses, shoes, and even t shirts. I "apparently" have this messed up theory that if i don't use my favorite items, those favorite items will last longer. This came to a head this morning when we were going to our favorite breakfast spot and instead of wearing my favorite old skool wayfarers, I grabbed my cheap plastic knockoffs and it kind of made me realize that I apply this "backup bike" theory to more things than just bikes.

Normal?

EricEstlund
04-26-2015, 02:59 PM
Use the good stuff- that's what it's for. If you like the back up bike (and stuff), that's great, but if you would prefer to use the A bike, use the A bike (and stuff).

azrider
04-26-2015, 03:04 PM
Use the good stuff- that's what it's for. If you like the back up bike (and stuff), that's great, but if you would prefer to use the A bike, use the A bike (and stuff).

Dude, that's just it, I have this underlying fear that if i put all those miles on my A bike i'm going to somehow ovalize the BB or mess something else up.

Whats really pathetic.......is that my A bike is not some hi zoot carbon, or badas$ Italian bike....... It's a frickin CAAD10.

Fishbike
04-26-2015, 03:06 PM
Use the good stuff and enjoy it. By all means take care of it, but use it as much as you can. Most stuff doesn't last forever. And we humans most definitely do not last forever. What are we saving stuff for?

Bike should be ridden, wine should be enjoyed, jewelry should be worn, cool sunglasses should make you feel just a teeny bit cool.

1happygirl
04-26-2015, 03:08 PM
I suffer from this "malady" also. I wanna keep my nice stuff, well, nice lol.

I am attempting to correct this by paring down. Good luck. I'm watching the thread for suggestions.

Of course what we really look for is to find a suggestion that allows us to keep all backups AND the original?
Hey bikes do different things, mountains and roads.
Sunglasses, idk. Mine never last long enough to find out.

Hey, maybe we need to do the Steve Jobs idea? All the same so its not really a duplicate, it is what it is for an item of clothing, etc (insert item here). If they're all the same color, size, fit you're not really choosing one over another, you're just using. Tee hee

ps how about every time you think about buying a cheap backup, go home and write it down to get it tomorrow or give the money to your wife (ok, you caught me ---- supporting gals lol )

1happygirl
04-26-2015, 03:13 PM
Use the good stuff and enjoy it. By all means take care of it, but use it as much as you can. Most stuff doesn't last forever. And we humans most definitely do not last forever. What are we saving stuff for?

Bike should be ridden, wine should be enjoyed, jewelry should be worn, cool sunglasses should make you feel just a teeny bit cool.

Great. Hard for some of us to put into 'practice'.
#1stworldproblem#itemstoocheap#toomuchdisposiblein come#toomuchtime

fogrider
04-26-2015, 03:18 PM

+1, my back up bike is equal to my go to bike...ok not exactly but pretty close. life is too short to use junk. ride what you want. I have a "training" bike that I put a fair amount of miles on, but I don't consider it a "cheap" bike. but if the cheap sunglasses are what you like, that's fine, but not if you think they are disposable.

OtayBW
04-26-2015, 03:20 PM
+10.
I know this person who waited 18 mos to get a custom Pegoretti, and now that s/he has it, s/he never rides it. I've never seen it. I don't know anyone that has. The roads are always 'not smooth enough', or 'it might rain', or some mumbo jumbo. S/he clearly has issues. Fercryinoutloud: ride your A stuff and enjoy it!

witcombusa
04-26-2015, 03:23 PM
Stop buying crap. Try only buying exactly what you really want to use, the problem solves itself. And I'm not suggesting cutting back, if anything buy more :banana:

happycampyer
04-26-2015, 03:32 PM

I have a backup bike....... Ok, not really a backup, but a bike that I use for the majority of my commuting and as of late the majority of my solo chill rides also. I ride this 'backup bike' so that I don't put what I consider unneeded 'wear' on my "go-to" bike.

The problem.........is that I also have backup wheels, sunglasses, shoes, and even t shirts. I "apparently" have this messed up theory that if i don't use my favorite items, those favorite items will last longer. This came to a head this morning when we were going to our favorite breakfast spot and instead of wearing my favorite old skool wayfarers, I grabbed my cheap plastic knockoffs and it kind of made me realize that I apply this "backup bike" theory to more things than just bikes.

Normal?Well, at least you didn't go to your backup breakfast spot! ;)

I agree with the others who suggest that you use the good stuff.

parris
04-26-2015, 03:36 PM
I "ruined" my Club Special for racing in the late 80's by getting a repaint that duplicated one of the show bikes. The bike was back at the factory for repair and I decided stupidly to go for the glitz vs the original solid color. I stopped riding the bike in crappy weather and races. I've since learned and actually use all my good stuff. I've done the same with shades as well. Now due to wearing rx glasses all those nice shades I was saving sit in good but unused shape.

Don't cheat yourself by "saving" the good stuff for later as its more fun to use it as intended.

seanile
04-26-2015, 03:45 PM
hows that saying go? "life's too short to ride ···· bikes"
i rode my merckx in a rainstorm yesterday instead of my fendered bike, because the bike with fenders required me to use clipless shoes whereas my merckx didnt. i used to coddle that thing something fierce.
i tend to get over my "must keep the nice stuff nice" problem by accidentally chipping the paint before i've even ridden the damn thing..then i take it out on a gross day and dont clean it afterward, just to force myself to deal with it and get past the honeymoon phase faster.

MattTuck
04-26-2015, 03:50 PM
we should be friends. I exhibit this problem most obviously in the area of clothing. I was given some nice wool socks for christmas of 2013 and have not yet worn them. They sit in the drawer every time I open it, and I look at them, and I imagine how awesome the day will be when I finally choose to wear them. I do this with some of my favorite shirts, pants and even boxers. It is weird.

When it comes to cycling, I should ostensibly wear my rapha bibs (the nicest pair I own) on as many rides as I can, but I always seem to hold them in reserve, as if tomorrow I'm going to ride a century and need them to be there for me.

I've read some articles about guys who wear the same outfit every day (steve jobs, mark zuckerberg, etc.) and there is something to be said for just not having an option.

uber
04-26-2015, 03:57 PM
Can identify with wanted the stuff I love to stay pristine forever. The paradox is that if you use it, it will get chipped, dinged, etc. I have "shot myself in the foot" before by getting something so nice, I did not want to use it. No more. Get what you love. Use the hell out of it. If/when you wear it out, get another one. Live once.

Tony T
04-26-2015, 03:58 PM

Normal?

Well, you didn't go to your backup breakfast spot :)

Tandem Rider
04-26-2015, 04:16 PM
i rode my merckx in a rainstorm yesterday instead of my fendered bike, because the bike with fenders required me to use clipless shoes whereas my merckx didnt. i used to coddle that thing something fierce.
i tend to get over my "must keep the nice stuff nice" problem by accidentally chipping the paint before i've even ridden the damn thing..then i take it out on a gross day and dont clean it afterward, just to force myself to deal with it and get past the honeymoon phase faster.

The guys I used to race with had a routine for new bikes, "scratch it putting it together, do it's first ride in the rain, now you're ready to race it".

Cicli
04-26-2015, 04:18 PM
I dont have a back up bike but may look into a back up wife. :banana::eek:

jr59
04-26-2015, 04:55 PM
Some funny stuff on this thread.

Ride what you want to ride. If it makes you happy, ride it. If you want it as a piece of art, hang it on your wall. Do whatever makes you happy, b/c life is to short to do anything else.

Spoken by the guy who owns 10 bikes.:confused:

R3awak3n
04-26-2015, 05:06 PM

yesterday I was working on one of my nice bikes and it fell over and got a couple of scratches. I was upset at first but thought to myself, maybe now I get to use this bike more often since its the least used of all 4. We will see.

EricEstlund
04-26-2015, 05:32 PM
Dude, that's just it, I have this underlying fear that if i put all those miles on my A bike i'm going to somehow ovalize the BB or mess something else up.

You won't. It's a road going vehicle, and it's meant to be ridden.

Even "show" bikes, at their heart, are bikes longing for the road.

eddief
04-26-2015, 05:55 PM
how do you make up your mind when you want to look cool in Wayfarers or look like a dork in the cheap sunglasses?

I just installed red anodized valve caps on my ti bike...to match the red skewers, red bar plugs, and red cable adjusters. Now I can / will keep the bike a while longer cuz it looks new and cool to me.

Normal?

eddief
04-26-2015, 05:59 PM
can mostly be easily replaced or repaired or painted. I think your fear is unwarranted and your wife is barking up the correct tree. Me, I have only 2 spare new saddles cuz they might stop making them. That's not my fear, that's my butt talking.

Whats really pathetic.......is that my A bike is not some hi zoot carbon, or badas$ Italian bike....... It's a frickin CAAD10.

ik2280
04-26-2015, 06:07 PM

Even if your bike were an Argonaut or a 795, I'd still say that you should ride it / race it. But it rings even more true because it's a CAAD10. That's the whole beauty of them - they're great bikes, stiff and fast, but also easily replaceable (if anything bad happens to it, which it likely won't anyway) and no nonsense.

fuzzalow
04-26-2015, 06:12 PM
Break the cycle, break the chain and get the monkey off your back. Use the stuff as it was either meant to be used or use it in a way that makes you happy. It is just stuff. And none of it really matters because all of it can be replaced.

To free yourself from the psychology you describe is as liberating as you might enjoy it to be because it frees you from a relationship with stuff that is meaningless. Anyone that has chosen to downsize knows of what I speak. And I speak not to be judgemental as I have been guilty of this in ways I can only regret. But never for I to go back to again.

Lewis Moon
04-26-2015, 06:23 PM

Normal?

I'm just the opposite: I buy "back up" stuff and pretty much never use it because I want the good stuff. I do have a "commuter bike", but other than that, everything is "A" quality, but different. You don't use a driver to putt.

PacNW2Ford
04-26-2015, 06:51 PM
Ride the good stuff, I'm more worried that I won't get the use out of them than wearing them out. I was on Cycle Oregon twenty years ago and a volunteer may have bumped a table and caused my Klein to fall over. She was apologizing profusely, but I said "No worries, it's fine". She said "No, no, my brother-in-law has one, they're expensive". I said "It's a bike, their natural state is lying on the ground, they want to be like that". I still have the bike, in fact it is right next to me now.

azrider
04-26-2015, 07:11 PM
we should be friends. I exhibit this problem most obviously in the area of clothing. I was given some nice wool socks for christmas of 2013 and have not yet worn them. They sit in the drawer every time I open it, and I look at them, and I imagine how awesome the day will be when I finally choose to wear them. I do this with some of my favorite shirts, pants and even boxers. It is weird.

When it comes to cycling, I should ostensibly wear my rapha bibs (the nicest pair I own) on as many rides as I can, but I always seem to hold them in reserve, as if tomorrow I'm going to ride a century and need them to be there for me.

I've read some articles about guys who wear the same outfit every day (steve jobs, mark zuckerberg, etc.) and there is something to be said for just not having an option.

Nailed it! .....believe it or not I too found a pair of socks I love and quickly bought 3 more of the same exact pair. Now, after about two years there are varying degrees of quality or condition within those 4 and I'll always, always, always grab the nastiest pair and keep the others that are in nicer condition clean just in case i need or want the set that's in the best shape for some special occasion or some other ridiculous excuse that I've convinced myself of.

This goes way beyond bikes........

Pastashop
04-26-2015, 07:28 PM
I suffer from this too, to some extent. Have my Sunny Sunday Ride Bike, and have the others. But what for?.. One approach is to avoid owning things that cannot be replaced. When things break, remain open to the new possibilities that open up.

Seramount
04-26-2015, 08:21 PM
I exhibit this problem most obviously in the area of clothing...

lol...I do this too.

I buy some article of clothing and then it has to do 'residence' in the closet for some period of time before I actually wear it.

I have a shirt that's almost a year old that's never been worn and a brand new pair of jeans that still have the tags on them after 7 months.

not sure what this is all about...

milkbaby
04-26-2015, 08:48 PM
It's just stuff. I want to ride my best bike the most because I enjoy it the most. Owning it isn't where I derive the pleasure, but it's in the riding it that makes me smile! :)

We'll have zero good memories of the rides we never take.

jlwdm
04-26-2015, 09:48 PM
When I ride the exercise bike at the fitness club I wear Assos bibs.

Jeff

blessthismess
04-26-2015, 10:21 PM
I wear all my " favorite " clothes until they are sun bleached and threadbare. Then I find my new favorites and move on. I listen to all my music and use all my cameras, pens, jackets,bags and camping gear, thats what they are made for and I refuse to coddle my "tools" rather than use them for thier intended purpose. I do have a designated "commuter/work" bike I use a lot, especially if I have to lock up somewhere. But this is because I am worried about it being STOLEN not SCRATCHED. Do what you please with your own property but if you spend the money to buy yourself something nice I believe you should use it. Objects are just objects, use them and enjoy them, don't covet and shield them from the real world. They can be replaced (in one way or another) life cannot.

marciero
04-27-2015, 04:56 AM
I dont have any backup bikes, just bikes.

holliscx
04-27-2015, 05:19 AM
I'd rather own one bicycle that I rode vs a stable that collected dust.

Think wrong and go ride your bike.

paredown
04-27-2015, 06:26 AM
Guilty as charged---although I have started tossing more, sooner especially with clothes and wearing more of the "good" clothes for day to day stuff.

But there is something to be said for the pleasure of having something beautiful around, even if it is never used--to quote Thoreau:

"'Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."

oldpotatoe
04-27-2015, 06:29 AM

Yes, first world problem...it's bikes or sunglasses or tshirts..not a limited amount of insulin you must use before it spoils..

jlwdm
04-27-2015, 07:27 AM
Guilty as charged---although I have started tossing more, sooner especially with clothes and wearing more of the "good" clothes for day to day stuff.

But there is something to be said for the pleasure of having something beautiful around, even if it is never used--to quote Thoreau:

"'Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."

This is a William Morris quote.

Jeff

paredown
04-27-2015, 07:48 AM
This is a William Morris quote.

Jeff

that's pretty funny--I was so convinced it was Thoreau, I ignored my own Google results...:)

jlwdm
04-27-2015, 07:59 AM
that's pretty funny--I was so convinced it was Thoreau, I ignored my own Google results...:)

Thoreau had a quote that is similar but different:

"The cart before the horse is neither beautiful nor useful"

Jeff

FlashUNC
04-27-2015, 08:31 AM
Life's too short to ride crappy bikes.

That being said...you really seem to be enjoying riding the backup bike. So rather than look at it was a zero-sum game of "I'm riding X so I'm not riding Y," focus on the joy you are getting out of what you're doing.

But really, ride the nicer bike more. No one looks back on their death bed and goes "man, I'm glad I didn't ride that Pegoretti so much."

On the plus side, if it breaks, that's time for a new bike. And that's 90% of the fun anyways.

merckx
04-27-2015, 08:44 AM
I had culled my road bike inventory down to one. I was really happy to only maintain one machine, and not to fiddle with fit adjustments to get them all within spec. Then my only made-to-measure road bike broke. It was out for repair for months. My "back-up" bike was a 29'er that I primarily use for winter duty. If I could survive with an off-the-peg machine, I'd continue with just one road bike. However, I'm now back to two road bikes with the same spec and properly prepared if one of them becomes sidelined.

Nooch
04-27-2015, 08:45 AM
I'd rather own one bicycle that I rode vs a stable that collected dust.

Think wrong and go ride your bike.

this is my problem right now, but it's circumstances that are bound to change eventually. I have three really nice bikes that I came into both through hard work and some great luck. I have 20 miles in my legs this year. Don't know what to do with the bikes, want to keep em, because I doubt I'll be able to buy that quality again, but a caad9/10 would do me just as well, wouldn't it? it's a tough thing -- I don't know which one I want to ride -- hardly ever -- I like em all. It's not like ones a rain bike, and ones a this bike or a that bike, they're all good and fun and fit well -- too many, but don't know which I'd unload first if i had to..

Miller76
04-27-2015, 10:47 AM
when I was younger (more spare time and less money) I had a beater bike that I would ride more often to "protect" my race bike from excess wear and potential accidents. Now I am older, (thankfully more cash to spend on my toys, but less spare time to ride them) I ride my Sunday best bike and kit at every opportunity.

I was always very concerned, taking extra care with all my toys, and I still take care of them, however the riding is what is far more important to me. Is there a bike that I'd like to buy and mount on the wall, not yet. The only bike mounted on a wall is my old Yeti ARC hard-tail that I snapped crashing on a decent. The rest get ridden as often as possible.

Don't worry about the need for back ups - in fact - pick your fave, sell the rest and ride it hard!!!

mhespenheide
04-27-2015, 01:01 PM
Another, guilty as charged.

I bought my dream bike, a Cervelo R3 (second hand), about 18 months ago. I'm pretty sure I haven't ridden it ten times. For a while I was curating the bike, finding just the right parts that it deserved. Now I'm either afraid of damaging it, just flat-out feel like I'm not worthy of it, or have gotten sucked into the vortex of wanting wider tires.

The crazy part is that I have a CAAD10 frame waiting, and I keep thinking about building it up because it's more of a blue-collar race bike, and that fits my self-identity as someone who finds deals and pieces together a good parts mix for the value... and yet the truly crazy part is that neither the R3 nor the CAAD10 is really going to be perceptibly better than the titanium LeMond I had before either of them (and still have).

I really should either ride the R3, or go n-2 or n-3 before moving this summer!

KJMUNC
04-27-2015, 02:31 PM
buy what you want, ride/use what you buy.

Black Dog
04-27-2015, 07:08 PM
The more stuff we own the more our stuff owns us. Life is short, there are no certainties of more time, and it is not often fair. Take a deep breath get the good bike on the road and enjoy the ride and appreciate everything that you have while you have it. Own your stuff.

eddief
04-27-2015, 07:15 PM
all your bikes butts. That's why they were created. New testament.

BobbyJones
04-27-2015, 07:45 PM
To preface, I'm another guilty party with this behavior in a few aspects of life but maybe with a little bit of a different twist. I buy multiples of everything I like, use one regularly and usually have a seldom used back up.

I've taken to calling it "excuse-proofing" my life.

In regards to cycling I've only had an "A" bike for a couple of years. There are plenty of reasons It wouldn't be the first one I'd grab on my way out the door, but wear and tear isn't one of em!