PDA

View Full Version : Short Rides in San Diego

jwess1234
04-26-2015, 07:42 AM
I will be in San Diego next week and have a short window to sneak in a ride (2-2.5 hours max). This will be my first time in the area and would appreciate any input anyone has on routes round trip from downtown around 25-35ish miles. I found the following already:

http://ridewithgps.com/trips/3341498
http://ridewithgps.com/trips/2324927
http://ridewithgps.com/trips/2324927

If you have any thoughts on these (traffic, sights, etc), or any other suggestions, it would be really appreciated. Thanks in advance.

ptourkin
04-26-2015, 09:04 AM
From the downtown area, I head south to the Bayshore Bikeway. You can either take its spur east to do a quick climb on Mt. Miguel Road or Otay Lakes Road, or ride toward the Silver Strand on Coronado and stay flat. Some good scenery along the bay if you do that and if desired, you can continue around and take the ferry back to downtown or just do an out and back and turn around wherever you choose. Nice things to look at along the bottom of the bay and uninterrupted pedaling. If you head north, as some people will suggest, it's constant stop and go along the congested coast.

Of the ones you posted, the Cabrillo options are good and scenic. I'd avoid Mission Valley. Nothing to see but malls.

Cornfed
04-26-2015, 10:21 AM
From the downtown area, I head south to the Bayshore Bikeway. You can either take its spur east to do a quick climb on Mt. Miguel Road or Otay Lakes Road, or ride toward the Silver Strand on Coronado and stay flat. Some good scenery along the bay if you do that and if desired, you can continue around and take the ferry back to downtown or just do an out and back and turn around wherever you choose. Nice things to look at along the bottom of the bay and uninterrupted pedaling. If you head north, as some people will suggest, it's constant stop and go along the congested coast.

Of the ones you posted, the Cabrillo options are good and scenic. I'd avoid Mission Valley. Nothing to see but malls.

Agree with ptourkin, but I'd go in reverse. Get on the ferry and start from Coronado and go down along the bay and back. The southern part of the bikeway loop is all industrial area and not well marked. Not very scenic at all, and you could easily end up lost. I know I did.

Going north from downtown along the marina is also nice, but only go that way if you can get out really early before all the tourists come out.

Last option is the cruise around Coronado. Not much of a workout, but the scenery and architecture is very nice.

Have fun!

ptourkin
04-26-2015, 10:33 AM
This was my yesterday. 3 thousand feet slow roll in the downtown area, only repeating one climb: https://www.strava.com/activities/292460071/segments/6870875874

jwess1234
04-26-2015, 11:00 AM
Thank you both very much! I'm looking forward to seeing the city and riding in some decent temperatures (Boston winter was depressing).

woodworker
04-26-2015, 04:43 PM
Live in North County but work in downtown San Diego. Most of my riding is in North County, but I go for rides after work to Cabrillo and Tidepool Hill. I agree with comments above that it is probably the best ride from the downtown area.

If you do this ride, you need to take the bike/running path along the Harbor to avoid the Airport traffic (until Harbor Island), but once you get past that point, the ride is pretty nice, then spectacular. I have a friend who visits each Summer who rides a lot. I took him out to Cabrillo for a ride, and he was blown away, then took his kids for a drive there the following day.

If you ride arrive before the gate attendant leaves (I think at 5:30 or 6 p.m., you may need to pay an entrance fee of $10. After the attendant leaves, the sign will say that it's closed, but it is not. Just go through the gate and down the hill to your right. A portion of the ride is featured on the Moment Cycle website and may provide additional information. They make regular trips out there to do hill repeats--half a mile at around 10%, I think.

Stunning views of the city, the Bay, and the Pacific Ocean, and a pristinely kept military cemetery.

I hope you enjoy your stay.

Buzz!
04-27-2015, 01:52 AM
Looking at the links you posted, thought I'd add my two cents. There is nothing wrong necessarily with riding DT, but it is an area I avoid. There are parts of the three rides you posted that are fine, but DT is crowded, full of stops and dangerous. If you want to ride make stops and look around, you'll be ok, but I could recommend better places in SD to get a decent ride in for 2-2.5 hrs. Try going north through Rose canyon and take the coast towards Del Mar and beyond. Great terrain and scenic. I'm sure Strava can map some routes for you, enjoy.

jwess1234
04-27-2015, 07:21 AM
Thank you, Buzz and woodworker!

I'm in for a conference and have a rental downtown with a short time window--thus the distance and starting point restraints.

I will report back after the ride.

Saint Vitus
04-27-2015, 08:55 AM
The weather will be sunny and warm all week, that should rid you of the Bostonian malaise.

jwess1234
05-09-2015, 09:08 AM
Thank you all again for the ride suggestions. This is what three of us ended up doing: https://app.strava.com/activities/299637905 .

Beautiful scenery to take in (minus passing the airport), plus a stop for some espresso!

Ken Robb
05-09-2015, 11:40 AM
The ride out to the end of Pt. Loma is one of the best: it's a fun ride with fabulous views. Riding around Mission Bay gives a good taste of why we love SD even when we are not on bikes. I can't tell exactly where you rode on this tiny map but it looks like you cruised through Mission Hills which is one of our most charming older neighborhoods.

Come back soon. :banana:

woodworker
05-09-2015, 05:54 PM
Glad you had a good ride, and that you made it out to Cabrillo.

Bit off topic but did a ride today with a group of guys heading out from Pine Valley to Laguna Mountain along Kitchen Creek and an old fire road out to Sunrise Highway. Snow on the ground at higher elevations. Around 3800 feet of climbing. Really pretty ride. Hadn't been out there before. Quiet, scenic, minimal traffic and pretty decent roads. Definitely recommended. Bring your cold weather gear (cold for San Diego), as it was in the 40's for most of the ride.

ptourkin
05-10-2015, 09:42 AM
Glad you had a good ride, and that you made it out to Cabrillo.

Bit off topic but did a ride today with a group of guys heading out from Pine Valley to Laguna Mountain along Kitchen Creek and an old fire road out to Sunrise Highway. Snow on the ground at higher elevations. Around 3800 feet of climbing. Really pretty ride. Hadn't been out there before. Quiet, scenic, minimal traffic and pretty decent roads. Definitely recommended. Bring your cold weather gear (cold for San Diego), as it was in the 40's for most of the ride.

I love it out there. Pine Creek Road is my absolute favorite climb in San Diego. Bring your compact. Which fire road were you on or was it just the full Kitchen Creek climb past the gate?

For a nice day of climbing, the AdventureCorps Mt. Laguna Classic route is good - once around the lake and up Sunrise, down to Kitchen and the up Pine. 101 miles, 11,000 feet.

woodworker
05-10-2015, 06:29 PM
I love it out there. Pine Creek Road is my absolute favorite climb in San Diego. Bring your compact. Which fire road were you on or was it just the full Kitchen Creek climb past the gate?

For a nice day of climbing, the AdventureCorps Mt. Laguna Classic route is good - once around the lake and up Sunrise, down to Kitchen and the up Pine. 101 miles, 11,000 feet.

I brought my compact and was fine. I'm not sure what the different branches of the ride are, but this one would seem to fit the description of the "full Kitchen Creek climb past the gate." Once we got past the gate, it was an old fire road, I think, that went into Cleveland National forest. Around 11 miles of climbing at a pretty even steady grade (6-10%).

The ride was perfect for me--don't think I'd want to bite off 100 miles and 11K feet of climbing.

I have done Palomar a number of times, leaving from Escondido or Lake Wohlford. Only the ride between the top of Palomar and the observatory (again when you start into Cleveland National Forest) is as pleasant and scenic. Much more traffic (Ninja bikes) on the way up Palomar, and much more on the ride out there. Think I'd pick Pine Valley again over Palomar.

Ken Robb
05-10-2015, 06:51 PM
You might like Engineer Road from the north side of Lake Cuyamaca to Pine Hills.

woodworker
05-10-2015, 08:54 PM
You might like Engineer Road from the north side of Lake Cuyamaca to Pine Hills.

Thanks for the tip--do you have (don't prepare one if you don't) a link to a Ride with GPS, Mapmyride, or something similar? I Googled it but came up with some very different rides.

Is it the loop up to Julian from Pine Valley and back shown on this link--not the leg out to Escondido?

http://www.northcountycruisers.com/gifs/sunrisemap.gif

ptourkin
05-10-2015, 09:00 PM
Yes, that's Kitchen Creek. It's only steep before the gate. Pine Creek Road starts just after the park in Pine Valley. It's much more direct and has pitches up to 25%. Some people may have to walk a few yards. You might see one car or Border Patrol van until you reach the top at Sunrise. The scenery is gorgeous. I agree, the crotch rockets on Palomar are annoying.

This is Engineers Road. You can get there from Boulder Creek if you want. Boulder Creek is road bikeable dirt and a lot of fun. If you're interested in this part of the county, look up the Gitman-Holland group on Strava. They do Saturday rides all over that area and have some great routes.

http://www.strava.com/activities/24925909#4192347739

woodworker
05-10-2015, 09:19 PM
Yes, that's Kitchen Creek. It's only steep before the gate. Pine Creek Road starts just after the park in Pine Valley. It's much more direct and has pitches up to 25%. Some people may have to walk a few yards. You might see one car or Border Patrol van until you reach the top at Sunrise. The scenery is gorgeous. I agree, the crotch rockets on Palomar are annoying.

This is Engineers Road. You can get there from Boulder Creek if you want. Boulder Creek is road bikeable dirt and a lot of fun. If you're interested in this part of the county, look up the Gitman-Holland group on Strava. They do Saturday rides all over that area and have some great routes.

http://www.strava.com/activities/24925909#4192347739

Thanks. I will check it out, and perhaps the Gitman-Holland group.

I live up in North County, so I do a lot of Coastal routes and some in Elfin Forest, RSF, Carlsbad, O'side, etc.

The ride on Saturday was an eye-opener; but on the down-side it's an hour drive from my home, which means that I need a bigger hall pass on the weekend than I'm typically able to wrangle given twin 5 year olds at home.

Saint Vitus
05-11-2015, 11:58 AM
The ride on Saturday was an eye-opener; but on the down-side it's an hour drive from my home, which means that I need a bigger hall pass on the weekend than I'm typically able to wrangle given twin 5 year olds at home.

Yep, the hall pass. I usually have to broker those weeks in advance and then a reminder a few days before.

Ken Robb
05-11-2015, 12:47 PM
The easiest way to find Engineer Road: Go north past the restaurant/picnic area on the west side of Lake Cuyamaca and follow the highway around the lake in a gentle right curve. Look up the hill on your left to find the fire station. Turn left and ride past the fire station. Keep going until you get to Pine Hills which is a cool rustic residential area a little west of Julian.

With your family it might be fun to have your wife drop you off near the fire house so you can start the ride. She can take the kids into Julian and play tourist until you ride in from Pine Hills to join them for lunch and apple pie. Julian Cafe on Main Street does great breakfasts and homestyle cooking for lunch and dinner. OTOH Jeremy's on the Hill in Wynola serves a more sophisticated menu/wine list but is still fine for nice kids.

woodworker
05-11-2015, 01:49 PM
The easiest way to find Engineer Road: Go north past the restaurant/picnic area on the west side of Lake Cuyamaca and follow the highway around the lake in a gentle right curve. Look up the hill on your left to find the fire station. Turn left and ride past the fire station. Keep going until you get to Pine Hills which is a cool rustic residential area a little west of Julian.

With your family it might be fun to have your wife drop you off near the fire house so you can start the ride. She can take the kids into Julian and play tourist until you ride in from Pine Hills to join them for lunch and apple pie. Julian Cafe on Main Street does great breakfasts and homestyle cooking for lunch and dinner. OTOH Jeremy's on the Hill in Wynola serves a more sophisticated menu/wine list but is still fine for nice kids.

Thanks for the riding suggestions and inferentially the suggestions for extending my hall pass. Like all parents, I know that my kids are the "nice kids." Kidding. But, truthfully mine are--or they don't go out to eat. :o

Ken Robb
05-11-2015, 02:15 PM
Thanks for the riding suggestions and inferentially the suggestions for extending my hall pass. Like all parents, I know that my kids are the "nice kids." Kidding. But, truthfully mine are--or they don't go out to eat. :o

My first wife was a restaurant reviewer so we ate out a lot when our daughter was young. The kid quickly realized that if she didn't behave in a restaurant she got to sit in a cold dark car with one crabby parent while the other one ate. Then the crabby parents changed places so the second one could eat inside. I think we only had to do this twice for the lesson to be learned. Leslie and I took "The Kid" to dinner for her 39th birthday last week and she's still well-behaved in a restaurant. :)

woodworker
05-11-2015, 08:08 PM
My first wife was a restaurant reviewer so we ate out a lot when our daughter was young. The kid quickly realized that if she didn't behave in a restaurant she got to sit in a cold dark car with one crabby parent while the other one ate. Then the crabby parents changed places so the second one could eat inside. I think we only had to do this twice for the lesson to be learned. Leslie and I took "The Kid" to dinner for her 39th birthday last week and she's still well-behaved in a restaurant. :)

We have twin five year old girls, but so far it's only been one of the two that has misbehaved, so that strategy has been the one that we've employed, albeit rarely. Just hasn't been a problem since then. Glad to hear that it's still working for you.

...let's see, if I want to test that theory and have dinner with my daughters for their 39th birthday, I better hope that riding the bike extends my longevity to 90 years . Yikes! Even if I'm lucky, dinner may consist of them spooning me Jello at the nursing home. Not good.