PDA

View Full Version : Ot. Prague, Vienna, Budapest

chuckred
04-25-2015, 11:58 AM
No cycling but lots of touristing...

Besides all the obvious sights, what should we check out?

We have opera tickets in Prague and Vienna to get some local culture...

Good pilsners...

Any other suggestions or cautions (taxi scams, etc.).

In May so hopefully mess crowds...

Thanks all!

SlackMan
04-25-2015, 12:13 PM
Lots of beautiful sites everywhere in Prague and Vienna. When you say obvious attractions, does that mean all of the government buildings, gardens, museums, etc.? In Vienna near the main 'volksgarten', there is a cool museum mostly devoted to suits of armor (as in shining knights). It also happened that there was a big, angry anti-USA demonstration in the garten when we came out of the museum.

I don't know if it's year round, but there was a big street "festival" in Prague in March. Tons of fun just walking around and people watching.

Be sure to try Staropramen beer in Prague; I preferred it to P. Urquell.

We were pleasantly surprised by the food almost everywhere we ate.

Some years ago when we went, it would have been helpful to know a non-trivial bit of the language in Prague because many people did not speak English.

No taxi scams that we found, but the taxi driver drove about 90mph through narrow twisting streets from the airport with Pink Floyd blaring on the radio--that was quite an adventure!

We took the train from Prague to Vienna. Assuming it's the same trains now, they seemed pre-war vintage and quite entertaining to ride in.

It should be a great trip. Hope you enjoy it.

Davist
04-25-2015, 03:13 PM
In laws are from Budapest, great city for walking, they have the hop on hop off bus that's lots of fun. In Buda, Castle Hill will take almost a whole day (castle, Mattias Church, fisherman's bastion), monument park is where the Soviet era statues went to roost, pretty fun. On Pest side, go to St Stevens, Parliament and the shoes by the river, the hospital in the rock, the great market, the Unicum factory/museum (Hungarian bitters/digestif) the city park is great it's behind heroes square which shows the founders of Hungary, really cool. Most of the city was rebuilt around the 1890s for a Hapsburg anniversary, very beautiful. Good restaurants everywhere. The terror museum is really interesting, shows life under the Nazis, then the Russians, very moving..

Maybe consider going afield to Eger, wine/spa country with wine cellars dug into volcanic rock in "pretty lady valley" about 2hrs via bus (easier than trains to Eger). Will seem "free" next to Vienna. Prague is great, too, per above. Enjoy! :banana:

goonster
04-25-2015, 07:05 PM
In Vienna, the Opera comes first. No argument there. But after that, the city should be cherished for its pastries. Any decent cafe will have good offerings, but you should go one step further and ask a local to recommend a bakery ("Konditorei").

Always, always leave room for dessert.

dave thompson
04-25-2015, 08:34 PM
Vienna, home of Weinerschnitzel! The world's best IMO is found at the Schweizerhuas in Prater Park. Great beer garden too, serving Budweiser from Budvar (the original). I make it a point to go there everytime I've been in Vienna.

Vienna is a historical sensory overload, it's hard to target specifics. So much history is/was there.

The Vienna Operahouse of course then a quick walk across the street to the Sacher Hotel for a coffee or nightcap along with a Sacher Tort. You can eat your way around the world in Vienna, it's where east meets west.

chuckred
04-25-2015, 10:56 PM
Great suggestions, especially pastries and pilsners!

rwsaunders
04-26-2015, 06:50 AM
My daughter spent a semester in Prague last year and we visited for a week near the end of the term in early December. I'll locate our guide book, which was very helpful as we were on our own while she was in class. Email your mailing address and I'll send it out. Just return it when you are done as we will be returning at some point. I'll see if my daughter still has her blog active too.

Prague is a very easy city to navigate on foot with very reliable public transportation. Here's a hotel that treated us very well and it was located in a fairly convenient part of town, with transit lines nearby.

chuckred
04-26-2015, 08:51 AM
Thanks, that's very kind. If you want to send me the reference, I'll pickup the book. We are kind of brutal on guidebooks when we travel, but really enjoy having a good one!

We are set on hotels but appreciate the referral. This entire trip is courtesy of request flier, marriott and Amex points (finally reaping the benefits of the last couple year's of travel for work).

My daughter spent a semester in Prague last year and we visited for a week near the end of the term in early December. I'll locate our guide book, which was very helpful as we were on our own while she was in class. Email your mailing address and I'll send it out. Just return it when you are done as we will be returning at some point. I'll see if my daughter still has her blog active too.

Prague is a very easy city to navigate on foot with very reliable public transportation. Here's a hotel that treated us very well and it was located in a fairly convenient part of town, with transit lines nearby.

mdeeds71
04-26-2015, 09:11 AM
Wife is Czech...thus have been and drank many a pils

Great Pils:
Krusovice
Gambrius
Staro Brno
Kozel

Best I have had but hard to find in Praha:
Krakonos

If your staying at the Marriott by Stare Miesto (old city/Praha) then you have an ideal location...all is within walking distance. Some of the best food I had was from vendors up on the hill overlooking the city (Petrin is the tower located there) where even my wife stated some of the best Klobase she has had along with a more Slovak dish known as Hlushky (think stinky cheese meets a potatoe curd with bacon/ham). A great restaurant that is on the river looking at the Karlove Most (Charles Bridge) is called Hergetova Cihelna (http://www.kampagroup.com/en/restaurants/hergetova-cihelna/). This is by far one of the best locations with some of the best food in the Czech Republic and the cost is very good for this level of restaurant. If you want to try a more traditional Czech restaurant for the commoner...then try Svejk (its a chain of restaurants)...where you sit at common tables and order like a cafeteria prior to seating (try the Svickova...a very traditional beef and dumpling type of meal).

Train system is good and easy to use. Cabs are affordable.

paredown
04-26-2015, 11:13 AM
Some years ago we did a bike tour that started in Budapest, looped through the countryside to Vienna, then looped through the Czech Republic and finished in Prague.

All three cities are great for walking; all three have great food/wine/beer. A two thumbs up on Vienna's pastries.

Of the less obvious things we saw, l was really moved by the Holocaust memorial in Budapest (and the adjacent Synagogue, restored with donations by Tony Curtis (!)) (http://visitbudapest.travel/guide/budapest-attractions/great-synagogue/), and I liked the Public Market (http://www.budapestbylocals.com/great-market-hall.html) (you can see all the varieties of paprika for sale. A few of our compatriots tried the public baths--and were suitably impressed.

We saw great (and affordable) art in small galleries everywhere in Prague--and I wished I would have brought back more Czech wooden Christmas ornaments.

rwsaunders
04-26-2015, 11:52 AM
Thanks, that's very kind. If you want to send me the reference, I'll pickup the book. We are kind of brutal on guidebooks when we travel, but really enjoy having a good one!

Here you go Chuck...these books were very accurate and helpful...the thinner one contains a pull out map as well.

rwsaunders
04-26-2015, 12:03 PM
A few teasers for you too, Chuck...enjoy the trip.

joep2517
04-26-2015, 05:20 PM
I lived in Prague in '92 - '93 so things may have changed but there are a few things that will still be there. I know since the time I was there things have become very commercial and touristy. If you like beer, go to U Flecku. It was old school. Good food, fun atmosphere but really good beer. I believe the beer recipe is from 1499.

Go to Old Town Square, see the astronomic clock and St Nicholas Cathedral. From there wind your way to the Charles Bridge. There are a few old churches near the bridge. Check them out. Then walk the Charles Bridge. On the other side of the bridge, explore Kampa Island - there were some nice restaurants and neat sites. Somewhere on Kampa is the Lennon wall.

Then go up to the castle and the cathedral. I believe behind the castle is the Golden Lane. There were some cool stores and art in the Golden Lane.

If you like beer - try Kozel (aka Velkopopovický) - great pilsner. When I lived there we made a pilgrimage to the brewery and did the tour.

Prague is a great place and the people are good people.

When I lived in Prague we did side trips to Vienna and Budapest. Both are amazing cities. If you get a chance for a side trip go to Salzburg. Little city with so much to see.

Hope that helps.
Joe

SlackMan
04-26-2015, 07:08 PM
Just noticed this while looking for something else

http://video.pbs.org/video/2365382105/

ctcyclistbob
04-26-2015, 08:39 PM
If you like beer, go to U Flecku. It was old school. Good food, fun atmosphere but really good beer. I believe the beer recipe is from 1499.

Go to Old Town Square, see the astronomic clock and St Nicholas Cathedral. From there wind your way to the Charles Bridge. There are a few old churches near the bridge. Check them out. Then walk the Charles Bridge. On the other side of the bridge, explore Kampa Island - there were some nice restaurants and neat sites. Somewhere on Kampa is the Lennon wall.

Then go up to the castle and the cathedral. I believe behind the castle is the Golden Lane. There were some cool stores and art in the Golden Lane.

All of this. I visited Prague in 2012 and these things are still outstanding and well worth visiting. U Flecku was awesome.

Have a great trip!

chuckred
04-26-2015, 11:38 PM
I am getting very excited! Thanks for the teasers!

alexstar
04-27-2015, 12:40 AM
LOVE Budapest! Great advice so far. Definitely set aside a whole afternoon to see Castle Hill, with Buda Castle, Matthias' Church, the Fishermen's Bastion, etc. Also make sure to visit the roof of St. Stephen's Cathedral for a very good view of the city.

I agree that Salzburg is an incredible city in a beautiful part of the country, with the Mirabell Palace, the Fortress Hohensalzburg, and of course the Hotel Sacher. Lots to see. When in Austria I was amazed at the quality of the pastries, coffee, and food in general. Oh, the sausages...

If you need a bit of a break check out Schloss Fuschl, great little hotel on the gorgeous Fuschlsee. 20 minute drive outside Salzburg. Even worth a day trip.

Have fun!