PDA

View Full Version : Oh Spectrum How I Love Thee, 4 month review

znfdl
04-19-2006, 09:21 AM
I have started to commute to work on my Spectrum Ti (yes, it sits in my office with me during the day). I have also done 9 centuries on the bike this year. Now that I am starting to get in better shape the design tweaks that Tom Kellogg did for me are becoming quite apparent.

The lower bottom bracket:
• Instead of down shifting or standing on hills, I increase my cadence and roll over many small hills
• On long hills I can ride a smaller gear and spin the gear more easily. Yesterday, I did two small climbs (1/4 mile long at 4%-5% grade), kept a nice 95 cadence and climbed at a steady 17 mph.

Shorter chain stays:
• Seems to be more efficient than my other bikes and accelerates like crazy
• Able to maintain 20+ mph for many, many miles at a time

Overall Fit:
• This is the most perfect bike that I have ever ridden and handles like a dream
• Even though the bike was not designed specifically for aero bars, the aero bars set up, is incredibly comfortable.
• It was easy to dial in the bike for a great ride

Overall ride:
• Incredibly stable at high speeds, I have taken the bike up to 49 MPH and did not feel uncomfortable.
• The bike dives into corners quite well and allows me to accelerate out of corners with ease. There is a short descent on my commute that has two 180 degree turns within 50 feet of each other. I had two racer dudes on my wheels riding the latest CF bikes, without pedaling I was able to open up a 30 foot gap.
• The handling is quick and neutral and not the least bit twitchy.

Tom thanks for making my cycling that much more enjoyable.

Ray
04-19-2006, 09:46 AM
I'm equally pleased with my ti Spectrum, as I've probably stated here too often already. One question though - how does the lower bottom bracket affect gear choice and cadence? I know it has some affect on handling and the stability of the bike and I know a low bb bike feels somewhat different out of the saddle, but I've never noticed I could spin one more easily and mash another more easily based on bb height.

-Ray

znfdl
04-19-2006, 09:53 AM
A lower BB is supposed to make the bike climb better. Since it climbs a little bit better, I am able to ride the same gear that I climb with on another bike, but my cadence is 10-15 rpm higher. The bikes are not equivalent as one is a Spectrm Ti while the other is Lemond Propad. But that is the only comparison that I have. It might all be in my head, but this is what I feel.

manet
04-19-2006, 09:55 AM
A lower BB is supposed to make the bike climb better. Since it climbs a little bit better, I am able to ride the same gear that I climb with on another bike, but my cadence is 10-15 rpm higher. The bikes are not equivalent as one is a Spectrm Ti while the other is Lemond Propad. But that is the only comparison that I have. It might all be in my head, but this is what I feel.

soooo what is a low BB to you

Samster
04-19-2006, 10:45 AM
soooo what is a low BB to you

8cm.

vaxn8r
04-19-2006, 11:00 AM
I'm equally pleased with my ti Spectrum, as I've probably stated here too often already. One question though - how does the lower bottom bracket affect gear choice and cadence? I know it has some affect on handling and the stability of the bike and I know a low bb bike feels somewhat different out of the saddle, but I've never noticed I could spin one more easily and mash another more easily based on bb height.

-Ray
My suspicion is it has less to do with BB height and more to do with 9 ceturies completed so far this year.

Good write up znfdl. Motivates me all the more.

Ray
04-19-2006, 11:14 AM
Whatever works for you, but I gotta think its other factors. I've had frames with 8cm of drop that felt like they climbed great and bikes with 8 cm of drop that felt like terrible climbers. And some with 7 or even 6.5 that climbed great and others that didn't. Until you get into substantial weight differences and full-on touring bikes, I don't think one bike really climbs better than another, but some sure FEEL like they do. I think even that perception has more to do with chainstay length and perceived stiffness more than bb height though.

As Vax said, I think you may be confusing all of the miles you have in your legs this year with the height of your bottom bracket. But, hey, whatever works!

FWIW, I have a Poprad too and, while it may be the best all-around bike I've ridden, it sure doesn't feel like it climbs as easily as my Spectrum. Or as well my RB-1, which has a higher bb than either of 'em.

-Ray

Lanternrouge
04-19-2006, 11:29 AM
I have started to commute to work on my Spectrum Ti (yes, it sits in my office with me during the day). I have also done 9 centuries on the bike this year. Now that I am starting to get in better shape the design tweaks that Tom Kellogg did for me are becoming quite apparent.

I think its absolutely appropriate to use a nice bike for commuting and keep it in your office. Bikes make great decorations when not in use. Besides, seeing it there gives you something to look forward to at the end of the day. In my office I have LeMond and Hinault battling in front of me and my bike to the right of me.

shaq-d
04-19-2006, 12:08 PM
yeah. 9 centuries. congratulations, looks like it'll be a good cycling year for ya.

nice bike :p

sd

Too Tall
04-19-2006, 01:36 PM
I hate it when the bugger is in shape.....no draft mumble mumble

Sandy
04-19-2006, 02:29 PM
I hate it when the bugger is in shape.....no draft mumble mumble

Buy an eighteen wheeler.....big draft rumble rumble.

:rolleyes: Simple Sandy :rolleyes: