PDA

View Full Version : best commuting rack and pannier

Onno
04-19-2006, 07:33 AM
All this talk about bike commuting has got me to wondering if there isn't a better way to lug my stuff to work than on my back, which gets pretty sweaty. I'm looking for a rack and bag for the back of the bike (mtb converted to commuting bike). I'd like the bag to be easily attachable and detachable from the rack, and convert to a shoulder bag or backpack. What should I be looking at?

Thanks,
Onno

samtaylor1
04-20-2006, 01:07 AM
I have two sets of REI panniers, they work great on the bike, though you have to carry them like a hand bag when you take them off. Work great in any weather. Also don't cheap out on the rack.

bigbill
04-20-2006, 01:19 AM
I use an avocet welded aluminum rack that cost around $25 with an avocet rack bag. I commute 26 miles a day on a rough MUT with a flexy steel frame. I don't know the reasoning for wanting to spend alot on a rack, I would drop the bucks on the bag or panniers, IMHO that is where it counts. I don't remember how much I paid for the bag, but it securely velcros onto the rack. It came with an strap and gussets at the front and back to attach the strap. I have never taken it off except to clean the rack. I carry my bike up three flights of stairs at work and keep it in my office. I can roll my chair back and get something out of it. I would recommend something other than the velcro straps that I have since they are a pain to undo. The bag has always stayed secure on the rack.

Ray
04-20-2006, 04:33 AM
Plenty of good racks out there - find a Blackburn or something if you're not looking for a boutique rack. And most any pannier with a decent attachment system (and will clear your heels) will work. Depending on what you carry, there are specialty panniers out there.

There are panniers that hang over both sides of a rack and work sort of like a garment bag, for those who have to take nice clothes in every day. Here's one:

http://www.calhouncycle.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=93&idproduct=29

If you mostly carry work stuff (papers, a laptop, books, etc), Carradice makes a really nice briefcase pannier - if you consider black canvas nice. You can also stow a lunch and maybe some raingear in it, but if clothes are your first priority, it's probably not the best choice. I have one of the older ones and like it a lot - the newer ones look better thought out.

http://www.wallbike.com/carradice/bikebureaunew.html

-Ray

pdxmech13
04-20-2006, 09:33 AM
ortleb,arkel.
I have carradice but think these are cooler.

Serotta_Andrew
04-20-2006, 09:52 AM
I have one of the Arkel "The Bug" panniers and it turns into a backback.

http://www.arkel-od.com/panniers/backpack/overview.asp?fl=1&site=

Bradford
04-20-2006, 11:42 AM
I don't know the reasoning for wanting to spend alot on a rack

I used to say the same thing until I broke a standard low rider rack somewhere north of Yellowstone. I had to use duct tape and wire to hold it together until I could get to Jackson and find a replacement.

Standard racks are fine for most applications, but if you are ever going to put 60 lbs of panniers on a bike, they might not be enough.

I have a Blackburn for commuting and around town stuff. I also have a set of Jandds and a set of Tubus racks for touring on my touring bike and tandem. I think the Jandd rear rack is the best, but it is heavy. The Tubus stuff is very nice and it is light, but lacks a few of the features on the Jandd. The Tubus front rack is the only way to go.

Onno
04-20-2006, 12:43 PM
I knew this stuff had to be out there somewhere! Thanks. The backpack to pannier system is exactly what I was looking for.

Onno

billrick
04-20-2006, 03:55 PM
I luuuuuve my Tubus "Fly" rack and Arkel panniers. The Tubus is sturdy, "triangulated" for stiffness, and very lightweight. The powdercoat chips a bit, but racks aren't supposed to be about beauty (unless made by Weigle or Nitto). $100 at www.wallbike.com and worth every penny. I'll post a photo later.

Made in Germany. "Let me hear you say vhaat."

:)