PDA

View Full Version : Serotta Councours

bob59
04-23-2015, 08:40 PM
Anybody know what tire size will fit?

Looking at a Concours but can not find any info on max tire size.

I have converted over to SL23 rims and 28mm tires @ 70 psi. Dreamy!

Thanks in advance.

572cv
04-23-2015, 09:02 PM
On a Hed Belgium (23) rim, a 25 Continental GP4000s still has room to spare. I haven't tried a larger tire yet. Not your answer but a data point, at least.

Black Dog
04-23-2015, 10:36 PM
On a Hed Belgium (23) rim, a 25 Continental GP4000s still has room to spare. I haven't tried a larger tire yet. Not your answer but a data point, at least.

This combination measures out at almost 28mm exactly when inflated to 85psi.

oliver1850
04-23-2015, 10:42 PM
I have run Conti 28s of some sort on mine, but I don't have the F1 fork. Not sure if you can run a 28 in an F1 but I can check on another bike if needed.

Ken Robb
04-23-2015, 10:45 PM
On my Legend with F1 fork and to a lesser degree my Legend with Serotta O2 fork it was the fork that was the limiting factor. 700x25 was VERY tight under the F1. I ran 700x27 Roly Poly Rivendells with the O2.

Ken Robb
04-23-2015, 10:46 PM
I have run Conti 28s of some sort on mine, but I don't have the F1 fork. Not sure if you can run a 28 in an F1 but I can check on another bike if needed.

700x25 was the biggest I could use with my F1.

93legendti
04-23-2015, 10:55 PM
I've got an Ouzo Pro on mine with Zero G brakes and I am running Forte Strada K 700 x 28c's

benb
04-24-2015, 09:25 AM
I had a 2007 Concours with an F3 fork.. the biggest setup I ever ran was Michelin 700x25s.. Michelin supposedly runs a little big, but there was plenty of room on both ends.. Not sure if a 28 would have fit though.

Ken Robb
04-24-2015, 09:37 AM
I've got an Ouzo Pro on mine with Zero G brakes and I am running Forte Strada K 700 x 28c's

I think the Serotta O2 fork was made by Reynolds and very similar to the Ouzo Pro. The 700x27 tires I ran were Riv Roly-Polys which are as big as most 700x28 tires so this all jibes with my experience.

benb
04-24-2015, 10:04 AM
There was always some weirdness between Serotta forks and Reynolds.. I can't remember exactly but when I visited the factory they were telling me how the Ouzo Pro and the F1/F3 are all basically "cousins" and the two companies had worked together on the design/manufacturing.. and I thought Serotta eventually bought up some of it when they bought Poway.

c-record
04-24-2015, 10:43 AM
I recall F3 more so. The F1 was pretty early in Serotta's carbon fork history and Reynolds may have come later.

There was always some weirdness between Serotta forks and Reynolds.. I can't remember exactly but when I visited the factory they were telling me how the Ouzo Pro and the F1/F3 are all basically "cousins" and the two companies had worked together on the design/manufacturing.. and I thought Serotta eventually bought up some of it when they bought Poway.

bob59
04-24-2015, 11:46 AM
Bike in question has a F2. On my F3 I am running GP4000 x 28mm with plenty of room.

The limiting factor on my current setup in the rear brake clearance. Tight with the 28MM. PITA when a small rock sticks to the tire and gets caught between the tire and brake. They have been putting down new chip seal and it is a PITA for a week or two.

Mike Lopez
04-24-2015, 01:36 PM

The F1 was made by General Composites in NY and used a completely different process than the Ouzo series of forks or any of the other F series forks that came after. This fork was a done deal prior to Ben visiting my facility in Poway to discuss future projects.

The quick/dirty approach to an "OE" Serotta fork was to put some different metal bits in an Ouzo Pro, change the lay-up a bit, and call it a Serotta. This covers the O2 & F2.

The next original composite fork shape to be sold by Serotta was the F series of forks. Jay Clark did the industrial design work on the shape and my staff and I at Reynolds cut the tools and made the forks.

Later on the relationship between Reynolds & Serotta became strained for various reasons and they chose to quit doing business with one another. This is right about the time I was ready to leave Reynolds anyway so I joined forces with Serotta.

At this time Ben did in fact buy some used tooling from Reynolds, leased a building that I put my equipment in, hired my staff and I, and we continued to build forks, tubes, and stays for Serotta until the $hit hit the fan. And long after in fact! But they never really bought anything other than some old molds & fixtures.

Funny how stories evolve!