PDA

View Full Version : 'Breaking Away' fans - the Little 500 is this weekend

Mark McM
04-23-2015, 08:17 PM
We all remember the exciting conclusion of the film 'Breaking Away', in which Dave Stoler and the Cutters win the Little 500 bike race. And as most of you know, the race wasn't made up for the movie - it is a historic event that has been an annual tradition at Indiana University for over half a century.

The race is coming up this weekend, and like the last few years, it will be televised live on the AXS TV network. The women's event will be broadcast on Friday (4/24) at 4pm ET, and the men's race will be broadcast on Saturday (4/24) at 2pm ET.

jghall
04-23-2015, 09:23 PM
60+ years now if I recall. Fun time. Those close enough, should check it out in person. Kind of like the Big 500, much better in person. It is a party weekend though, so be prepared.

A few years back the Cutters had a nice run. Believe 4 or 5 straight 1st places. Most of those riding take it very seriously.

Know this is a cycling fraternity, but so I do show favoritism, especially being a Boiler at heart, the Purdue Grand Prix is this weekend too. Another fun weekend.

mistermo
04-23-2015, 09:40 PM
Just so everyone knows, the Cutters of today took their name from the Cutters of the movie, which was fiction, but based on the real Little 500. The participants are all enrolled college students in good standing - no townspeople. Most recently, Eric Young, 2011 & 2013 US Nat Criterium Pro Champion, rode for Cutters. It's pretty grass roots, but there's some studly riders that emerge from it. Indiana is one of the few (only?) schools where cyclists are cooler than the football team.

BSUdude
04-24-2015, 08:15 AM
Indiana is one of the few (only?) schools where cyclists are cooler than the football team.

At Marian, cycling IS their football.

nooneline
04-24-2015, 09:30 AM
There are some past years available on Youtube. It's really funny to watch... it's bike racing, sure, but it also has all of these elements that are just not from traditional bike racing - like it was developed parallel but in isolation.

MattTuck
04-24-2015, 09:37 AM
Haha, like the animals of Australia evolved in isolation.

Team Cinzano!

Mark McM
04-24-2015, 09:48 AM
There are some past years available on Youtube. It's really funny to watch... it's bike racing, sure, but it also has all of these elements that are just not from traditional bike racing - like it was developed parallel but in isolation.

You mean just like the Indy 500 auto race has developed different from, but in parallel with other types of auto racing? Seems fitting.

classtimesailer
04-24-2015, 11:39 AM
The movie race is better: One POS bike adjusted to fit or not fit all team members.

But just like the movie, there is one rider on each team that is much stronger than his/her teammates and rides most of the race solo. Exciting like a crit--Only if you know the riders.

coffeecake
04-24-2015, 12:56 PM
My money's on the Black Key Bulls. Looks like a 90% chance of rain tomorrow -- that will certainly affect the outcome.

Louis
04-24-2015, 01:28 PM
My money's on the Black Key Bulls. Looks like a 90% chance of rain tomorrow -- that will certainly affect the outcome.

http://media.giphy.com/media/liAxnRq5qeZPy/giphy.gif

redir
04-24-2015, 02:00 PM
Refund? Refund? !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQaavQNGsMY

choke
04-24-2015, 06:45 PM
This should be an interesting read.

jlwdm
04-24-2015, 11:30 PM
My DVR is set to pick up all cycling so I recorded the women's race today. I fast forwarded through most of it to watch the disappointing finish.

Jeff

Dead Man
04-24-2015, 11:42 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAIypjiw77w

Uhh.. freehubs with no brakes?

tjk23
04-25-2015, 07:07 AM
Breaking Away and American Flyer two of the best movies ever (for cycling). I love it when they tape his feet to the pedals.

berserk87
04-25-2015, 07:19 AM
Breaking Away and American Flyer two of the best movies ever (for cycling). I love it when they tape his feet to the pedals.

I thought "American Flyers" was kinda stinky, but I own it because it's about cycling. The crop of cycling movies (that are fiction) is pretty small, so I guess it makes the top two by default.

Fondri
04-25-2015, 07:25 AM
My DVR caught it too. I can understand the bike limitations except the limit on bike size. Weird.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paredown
04-25-2015, 08:25 AM
The closest thing to the Little 500 that I was involved in was the Redmond Derby (WA)--and to date myself, this was pre-Microsoft, so Redmond was still a sleepy little town on the outskirts of Seattle.

It was kind of a combination Country Fair, kid's parade, and the criterium which is what we drove down from Vancouver for. I thought I remembered a series of "races" for kids and non-racers on whatever bikes fell to hand, but now it looks as though it is just a parade for the kids...

Bought my Frejus track frame from someone who showed up to watch...

oldpotatoe
04-25-2015, 09:07 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fwM4hnsdSA

THIS TOO, great music. See Merckx??

Black Dog
04-25-2015, 09:54 AM
This to0. Available on netflix as: Ride to Glory. Kinda quirky but funny and sweet. Oh yea, there is a great scene with Bernard Hinault and Laurent Jalabert.

http://www.labicycletta.ca/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/tour-de-force-poster.png

RonW87
04-25-2015, 11:40 AM
There's also a movie from Quebec called "Two Seconds' or something like that. In one scene, an old-school mechanic makes fun of the young femaie racer protagonist because she want her wheel built with radial spokes.

http://www.pedalpushersonline.com/images/2sec.jpg

Mayhem
04-26-2015, 11:52 AM
This is messed up.

Missing Indiana University student found dead, man charged with murder

An ex-con is being held in the fatal beating of an Indiana University student whose body was found two days ago in a rural area not long after she disappeared.

Daniel Messel, 49, was in police custody Sunday, held on the preliminary charge of murder in the death of 22-year-old IU senior Hannah Wilson.

Wilson’s body was found Friday, the same day she was reported missing, in Brown County, about an hour’s drive from the IU campus in Bloomington. An autopsy Saturday showed she died of several blows to her head with an unknown weapon, Fox 59 reported.

The station said the young woman suffered hand wounds, indicating a struggle as she tried to defend herself from the killer’s blows.

It also said the murder took place around 1:30 a.m. Friday based on the coroner’s findings.

Police have not disclosed a motive or said whether the student knew her accused killer.

Sky News reported that Wilson's body was found clothed and there were no signs of sexual abuse.

Wilson’s sorority at IU, Gamma Phil Beta, issued a statement after police found her body.

“The entire Gamma Phi Beta family mourns the tragic loss of Hannah. She was a sister, friend and cherished member who will be genuinely missed. Our thoughts and prayers are with Hannah’s friends, family and the women of Beta Phi Chapter.”

Her mother and sister attended a vigil in her memory Saturday at the Indiana Elite Cheer Center cheerleading gym in Noblesville.

Another vigil for her on the IU campus drew 1,500 students.

The Indy Star said Messel was sent to prison for eight years in 1996 after an arrest for battery.

The paper said news articles showed Messel had a 1991 arrest for assaulting a girlfriend and a 1989 arrest for assaulting his grandmother and breaking her nose.

He also had a 2006 conviction for disorderly conduct.

Her death came on the weekend IU holds the Little 500 bicycle race. The school is holding the race Sunday and, in Wilson's memory, participants will ride with purple and green ribbons tied to their bike frames.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/04/26/missing-indiana-university-student-found-dead-man-charged-with-murder/

Fondri
04-26-2015, 06:21 PM
Anyone know when they're airing the men's race since it got rained out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk