PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Hardtails

pakora
04-22-2015, 01:37 PM
I think I might be in love. This whole post will basically be bragging*, but I wanted to see who's riding carbon besides the couple of folks who've chimed in on the technical threads I've posted in.

I've posted here with some handwringing because in my heart of hearts I thought it was treason to not ride steel where possible, but last fall I got the itch and the means (via a sale and some heh interesting discounting) to recreate my then current bike I'd just busted (853 rigid Niner singlespeed) as a carbon bike with identical geometry.

Basically the same bike, with a few choice changes (i.e. steerer cut to maximize height and reach vs the height I was stuck with on my old bike, bought used; carbon bars and post). I thought it was going to be a few pounds lighter - which of course is pretty sweet, especially for a ss mtb - but nothing earth shattering.

Well, the earth is shattered. I am so in love with this bike I want to tell everyone who has any interest in riding a hardtail that they should ride carbon, and anyone who gives a durn about weight to chuck their suspension fork and ride a nice carbon one.

The incredible feeling of power transfer - the reviews you read that at this point are mtbr cliches - "You feel every newton of force to the pedals as forward motion - you point, turn pedals, it takes off like a rocket": THEY ARE ON THE MONEY. My teammate who's ridden every bike under the sun as an industry person says his desert island bike is a carbon hardtail after riding the RDO version of my frame at Interbike and calling it a "magic carpet". (he is pure retrogrouch and won't ride plastic after working in the industry) I don't know how it can be, but how I used to be beat up a bit after mtb rides, now it's just my ass (from the 20 mile round trip spinning out to do a 15 mile trail ride) and my lungs and legs.

Seriously, I want to look all over the bike and see if there's secretly suspension hidden somewhere. With a 2.35 in the rear and a 2.25 in the front, ridden at the min reasonable pressure for my weight (20 psi f/r), everything is amazing.

Anyone riding carbon hardtails? What's your impression? I'm interested especially to know whether this is a carbon thing or my bike is special, or perhaps I'm just psyched about my new bike. I definitely know that unspecial and cheap road and cross carbon ride like cheap and heavy bikes.

*also written bonk brained after a ride waiting for lunch to heat up

http://i.imgur.com/hTaLj2W.jpg?2

dolface
04-22-2015, 01:49 PM
This should go in general right? Maybe the mods can move it?

I've got a similar bike and love it with a the passion of a thousand fiery suns.

There's definitely something special about the Niner geometry, I also have a carbon Santa Cruz Highball and it handles and feels quite different than the Niner, not as quick or nimble.

KonaSS
04-22-2015, 01:52 PM
I will give you $200 shipped for it.

dolface
04-22-2015, 01:58 PM
I will give you $200 shipped for it.
Lemme think about it for a minute. :rolleyes:

pakora
04-22-2015, 02:08 PM
rats I do this too often. Sorry Mods, when someone spots this can you please move to general?

pakora
04-22-2015, 02:10 PM
Interesting about the Santa Cruz.

Nimble is a good word. I was remarking recently while riding a 26" bike how much easier they were to throw around and how you just couldn't resist leaving the ground, but that is thus far true about this bike as well heh.

hida yanra
04-22-2015, 06:03 PM
26" wheeled Kona (non-production) 2011,
w/ a not-fancy build kit including 2x10 Sram X9, I'm at 18lbs 14oz.

so dreamy.

A totally different bike than my new ASR-C, but an amazing bike in its own right. :banana:

a4racer
04-23-2015, 02:36 PM
I'm a long-time carbon hardtail fan...

went from a C'dale Flash 29er to a Specialized carbon HT, and now to this...a fully rigid carbon HT!

Dundee Jewell 29'er
XTR M9000 1x11 drivetrain
XTR M9000 brakes
XTR M9000 pedals

DT180 Carbon Ceramic FH tied to Stan's Crest
DT240s RH tied to Stan's Crest
Racing Ralph Evo tires (29x2.25)

Ritchey Superlogic C260 stem
Easton Haven Carbon bar
Ritchey WCS Ergo grips
Ritchey Trail carbon seatpost
Fizik Tundra carbon railed saddle
Bontrager XXX bottle cage

Gummee
04-23-2015, 08:19 PM
I'm a wheelset and a fork away from having my first 29er. Happens to be a chinese carbon frame I got for $325 shipped 'semi-used.' Guy wanted to go BB30 so this one with the threaded BB is now mine.

So... who wants to trade me a pair of 650b Am Classic 650bXC wheels for some 15mm TA front and 142x12 TA rear?

M

rzthomas
04-23-2015, 08:59 PM
2013 Cannondale F29 Carbon 3. Upgraded in some spots (XT brakes, CF Ritchey bars, better wheels). It is awesome.

https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/hphotos-xfa1/t51.2885-15/e15/11084870_623405504457589_676093344_n.jpg

PaMtbRider
04-24-2015, 06:57 AM
I know this isn't weight weenies, but I would love to hear what the weight on these bikes are.

pakora
04-25-2015, 07:31 PM
I don't remember the exact number but I recall calculating that my crabbon bike would be over 6 pounds lighter than my steel bike when it was just a frame and fork swap. Now with the bars and post swapped I think that made it just above or just below 20 lbs with no weenie parts (e.g. wheels are Hope hubs to Stan's Flow EX with a meaty Maxxis Ardent on the front and a 2.35 tire on the back).

I know definitely someone I know claimed their F29 1 with race wheels was < 20 pounds for a large bike.

ofcounsel
04-25-2015, 08:58 PM
I just finished up some upgrades on my Niner Air 9 RDO. I tend to use this bike on weeknights, where my rides are generally about 10-13 miles and about 1000-1500 ft. of climbing. This bike makes quick work of sprint rides like that. The frame is surprisingly comfortable for a hardtail. I'm guessing that the relatively thin seatstays contribute to that. Before I built up this bike, I had a Focus Black Forest alloy frame. It was neither as nimble nor as comfortable as my Niner.

I replaced my old Fox Evolution 100mm Fork with a 2015 Fox Factory CTD 100mm fork. I also swapped my XT drivetrain with SRAM XX1 and then replaced my Easton EA90 XC's with the DT Swiss XR1501 Spline 1's (My older EA90 XC's were not XX1 compatible).

The bike weighs in at 21 lbs 6oz with the Ardent Race's. It would be about a half-pound lighter if I switched it back to the Racing Ralph's that I normally use, but I really like the way these tires work with the sandy soil we're developing on my local trails because of the lack of rain here in SoCal.
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s81/ofcounsel/FullSizeRender-17_zpsxvcfu7fd.jpg
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s81/ofcounsel/FullSizeRender-18_zpslc9hhin0.jpghttp://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s81/ofcounsel/FullSizeRender-19_zpsbenyehhw.jpg

pakora
04-25-2015, 09:33 PM
small frame or not, the reality is this: 11sp gearie i.e. pie plate cassette, with a suspension fork: just over 20lbs

Carbon fiber.

Is there anything it can't do?

(don't answer that pls)

linger
04-25-2015, 10:35 PM
That Dundee is sick!

I'm a long-time carbon hardtail fan...

went from a C'dale Flash 29er to a Specialized carbon HT, and now to this...a fully rigid carbon HT!

Dundee Jewell 29'er
XTR M9000 1x11 drivetrain
XTR M9000 brakes
XTR M9000 pedals

DT180 Carbon Ceramic FH tied to Stan's Crest
DT240s RH tied to Stan's Crest
Racing Ralph Evo tires (29x2.25)

Ritchey Superlogic C260 stem
Easton Haven Carbon bar
Ritchey WCS Ergo grips
Ritchey Trail carbon seatpost
Fizik Tundra carbon railed saddle
Bontrager XXX bottle cage

c77barlage
04-25-2015, 10:44 PM
Rode my niner air 9 rdo today on an 80 mile gravel race. Used it as a snow trail bike all winter. It is at its best on singletrack. One fun machine.

ofcounsel
04-26-2015, 12:02 AM
small frame or not, the reality is this: 11sp gearie i.e. pie plate cassette, with a suspension fork: just over 20lbs

Carbon fiber.

Is there anything it can't do?

(don't answer that pls)

My riding buddy has his Niner set up with 1x11 drivetrain, Easton Haven handlebars, a 120mm Rockshox Revelation Fork, a 2.35 Nobby Nic front tire and a KS Lev dropper post... :) It's one tough looking hardball!

azrider
04-26-2015, 02:31 PM
Guaranteed to put smile on my face everytime I ride it

Miller76
04-26-2015, 05:33 PM
I've been considering a carbon hard tail to replace my Specialized Camber - this post isn't helping me.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JeffS
04-26-2015, 07:36 PM
I loved my Cannondale Flash. Precise steering and always felt fast.

That said, I always felt beat-up after riding it. In the end, I decided that I got more overall enjoyment from my FS bikes.

I still have a carbon stumpjumper carbon singlespeed hanging in the garage. As much as I love it (in theory), it hasn't come off the hook in over a year.

brando
04-27-2015, 12:50 AM
I have a carbon Highball and a carbon Redline CX but I'm really looking hard at the Niner CX, might have to demo that one.

osu cycling
04-28-2015, 01:58 AM
I'm still riding an aluminum 26" hardtail, as I could never stand the loss of power on full suspensions bikes I've tried. Are the carbons really that much more efficient that aluminum or steel, or are you primarily comparing to FS?

A carbon hardtail looks like it might be the next logical step for me - just not certain how durable it'd be in the case of the routine crash, or going down in (heaven forbid) a rock garden... those with experience in this arena, please chime in!

peanutgallery
04-28-2015, 08:04 AM
If that's what you're rolling, anything 29er will be a vast improvement, particularly in the rocks that you mention. Just trust me:)

As far as the carbon fragility thing? Haven't seen or experienced a broken one yet and where we ride its pretty rocky. personal experience for the OP's question, over the last few years I have have had the opportunity to roll (for a while)/own the following 29ers:

Niner MCR: my fav- super flexy, destroyed by laying it down in a rock garden. It was too light and dented in soft summer breeze. Only bike I've ever destroyed
Carbon Stumpy: a$$ hatchet, but handled really well. Crazy light
Camber Comp: fun but way heavy. Slow handler in the tight woods, sped up in anything faster. Did I mention heavy?
BMC Carbon FS: demo, but I liked it. Super light but needed some serious set-up. Lots of potential, uber pricey for my taste. Wouldn't want to be on the hook to keep all those pivots working
Salsa El Mariachi steel: the new geo, just got it last week. Like it so far, little stiffer than the MCR and a quick handler. A bit heavy but crazy versatile and you can play with the wheelbase for handling and comfort. Preferring the simplicity of the hardtail

Whatever you get, ride it a bunch

I'm still riding an aluminum 26" hardtail, as I could never stand the loss of power on full suspensions bikes I've tried. Are the carbons really that much more efficient that aluminum or steel, or are you primarily comparing to FS?

A carbon hardtail looks like it might be the next logical step for me - just not certain how durable it'd be in the case of the routine crash, or going down in (heaven forbid) a rock garden... those with experience in this arena, please chime in!

pakora
04-28-2015, 10:15 AM
Part of the reason I bought a Niner (besides I was already riding one that felt great heh) was that they have a 5 year warranty on carbon anything that includes racing.

mod6
04-28-2015, 04:54 PM
Part of the reason I bought a Niner (besides I was already riding one that felt great heh) was that they have a 5 year warranty on carbon anything that includes racing.

Can vouch for their great warranty as I'm on my third Niner Jet RDO frame. First two frames has cracked on the seat post by front derailleur mount. Seemed like an issue on the early frames. Was also able to upgrade to the new RDO frame for a small cost.

that guy
04-30-2015, 02:23 AM
I'm on my third Niner Jet RDO frame. First two frames has cracked on the seat post by front derailleur mount.

This is hardly a ringing endorsement.

pakora
04-30-2015, 08:43 AM
How about this: I broke a steel Niner (across the driveside dropout, a flaw in that year's MCRs) and still bought a carbon one. In fact, I broke the repaired bike as well - that will be sold once they warranty it, not because I don't trust Niner, but because at this point I don't trust the local repairer.

If they fit you, they fit you, and if they feel good, they feel good.